Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I bought Anthem and so far it's been pretty fun. You get to fly around like Ironman with 3 other assholes in a giant waterfall jungle. Not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape over this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

the whole game seems to be in that dumbass waterfall jungle, what kind of game only has one environment? I guess the loading screen is the other environment

Nah you also go inside technology caves

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah I mean if you are one of those OCD types who likes to grind for the best items and scrutinize your damage output, this game will probably drive you crazy. The UI doesn't even give you consolidated character sheet that shows you all of your stats in one place. Approaching this game with a WoW mindset is futile. If you just want to fly around in an exosuit with a jetpack and wreck a bunch of smugglers with friends (or strangers) then it's great.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I've never seen anything like it. The same enemy will adjust its level dynamically if you switch weapons. I didn't even know it was possible to do that

You're probably overthinking it. The numbers that pop out of enemies when you shoot them are all just for show.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ragnarok Online had an awesome crafting system because it was designed to make people crazy/suicidal

You coudl just sit in town and watch people lose all of their wealth, right there in public, within the span of a few short seconds lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I was fine with the punishment for death in Hollow Knight. The thing that made me drop it was how I had to spend the majority of my time searching around the whole map for the one little door that leads to where I'm supposed to go next. I would run to one corner of the map only to be reminded that the little unexplored notch was a place I still can't go because I don't have double jump or whatever, so I'd run all the way to another corner, rinse, repeat. To make this even worse, you don't even get an auto generated map of the new places you explore until you find the map guy. It all made the game feel really tedious.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Can someone please expound upon this? It sounds hilarious.

It's been a long time, but off the top of my head it worked like this. Up to a certain point, depending on item rarity, you could upgrade something without any risk. IIRC common items went up to +7, uncommon +6, rare +5 (it wasn't really "rarity"; but for simplicity's sake let's call it that). After that point, adding another +1 would carry a risk of failure, where you'd completely lose the item along with the upgrade materials. Not only that, but with each progressive upgrade level past the safe point, the next failure risk would get even higher. Started at 60% success, then 40%, then like 18%, etc.

So even though the upgraded stats progressed linearly (i.e. the difference between +3 and +4 was the same as the difference between +9 and +10) the chances of getting a weapon to a particular upgrade level progressed logarithmically. It was kind of cool because a blacksmith could make money by buying a few hundred generic weapons from the shop and just attempting to upgrade them all to max level. In bulk you could calculate what your average yield will be and sometimes it would be worth it as long as at least 0.8% of them successfully make it to +10.

The hilarious part was when someone bought a super expensive weapon right at the max safe level and decided to roll the dice by getting it just *one* level higher, into the risky zone. They find a famous blacksmith in town, make sure he has all his buffs (luck and dex helped), a small crowd gathers because this is some serious poo poo... and then it breaks in front of everyone. The crowd laughs, and the customer and blacksmith have a stupid argument about stats and probability.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I love souls games yet I don't want sekiro to be another souls game

but it absolutely is a souls game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey, the hammy voice acting in the warcraft 2 briefings is a huge part of my love for that outdated mess. I couldn't give two figs what the words being read were, but boy howdy the dev team making goofy voices worked out really well all over that game.

Yeah that's all fun until you realize that literally any postpubescent male is capable of doing any male Warcraft character voice

Seriously, you, your dad, and your 15 year old nephew could each singlehandedly replace the VAs for the orcs, peasants, Uther, and lich king

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2019

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Don't forget about Friday Night Funkin' (which is abysmal, but still exists)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Unpopular but correct: the best rhythm game is in fact Dark Souls or maybe Arkham Asylum

Look at this guy who hasn't played Sekiro

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vic posted:

White people can't play Sekiro is what you're saying

As a white guy who got stumped on the final boss, yeah I guess that's what I'm saying :smith:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

You are correct because Composite Cables only have three connections for Video, Left Audio and Right Audio, but that washed out picture of Assassins Creed DOES look like a defective 5 connector RGB YPbPr Component Cable problem.

e:some of you guys need to learn a lot more about older video technology before jumping all over someone. do you seriously not know the difference between component and composite cables? not everything is HDMI.

If it were a photograph of the TV screen then sure, this could be the issue. But this is pretty clearly a screenshot of the game, which is processed at the software level before it's sent to the display. The game just looks like this, at least in this moment, regardless of what kind of cable you're using.

That said, it was cherry picked to make the game look bad. Other scenes in the game are very colorful.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Kids these days don't even have pubes

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Why is Ukyo labeled "Frederic"?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My PS2, N64, Genesis, and even my parents' Atari 2600 all still work just fine

My 2018 gaming PC? Probably headed for the garbage bin within the next year or two, but it's what I'm currently using to post, do my job, and research hentai, so I guess you take some you lose some

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Seeing gachas as a "tax the rich" system is a pretty hilarious take. The whales for these games are children with access to their parents' credit cards and people with depression, not CEOs lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Mouse buttons 4 and 5 are great in almost any FPS, since they let you perform actions without interfering with WASD. Once you get used to it you'll love it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Failsons of rich parents (saudi oil princes and the like) are a big audience for that kind of whale-milking game though.
Like in this 2013 article about a once-#1-in-the-world clash of clans player:

e:

I know there are examples of that happening and they make the news because they're extraordinary and fun to laugh at, but the vast majority of gacha revenue comes from regular(-ish, I guess) people.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Flawed monetization model. Who is going to spend money on skins when you start with the anime catgirl for free???

Oh come on. You of all people should understand the importance of having a rare/esoteric waifu.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Star Fox could probably work with a rogue-lite wrapping, or alternatively with a high-effort AAA open world approach

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm suddenly reminded of the notorious Brady Games Official FFXI (that's XI, not IX) Strategy Guide. Not only was the information it contained already largely out of date by the time the game was released in NA (and destined to only grow more so, what with the game being an MMO that receives a constant flow up updates, balance changes, and expansions), but a lot of it wasn't even correct at the time it was written. Most MMOs can't be fully played/experienced without a huge time investment, and FFXI was a particularly demanding game in this regard. Thus there was no possible way the guide could have been written from a place of real experience, so it presented players with hilariously noobish advice, which ended up creating a scourge of new players who proudly used Red Mage as their subjob for Monk and then argued about it with people who tried to tell them that there were much more effective options. "Brady Games noob" eventually became used as a pejorative by the community.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
This is why Baldur's Gate worked so well. You controlled the entire party, so it was perfectly fine that the fighter was just set to auto attack the whole time. And if you had multiple spellcasters the realtime+pause system let you administer commands with as much nuance as you needed.

e: But yeah this all falls apart if you try to play these games in multiplayer mode, with each person controlling a different character.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I really liked R-type as a kid. Yeah it was way too punishing and I never beat it, but there was something satisfying about collecting the powerups that changed your weapon into crazy poo poo that bounced off the walls.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just turn your monitor 90 degrees

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Is Hades actually good? Because goons tricked me into buying Bloodborne and Final Fantasy 7 Remake which are terrible.

OTOH goons got me to buy EDF2017 on 360 and now I buy all the main EDF games because they own.

It seems that you're averse to good games so yes, you should probably also avoid Hades

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Please stop doing this

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fur20 posted:

im sorry thats its colloquial genre as spoken by human beings do you need me to newspeak that for you or something

As spoken by people who speak a different language than the one spoken on these forums; most people here don't know wtf that means

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I played Dark Souls with a Steam Controller, and I contend that it was and still is the best controller for that game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Autoaim is shameful

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The only time I got irked about someone using the wrong type of controller was when my friend reluctantly decided to give Dark Souls a try. Knowing he's a KB+M player, I told him the game is really better played with a controller, but he insisted so I was like ok whatever. Next time I spoke with him he told me he only spent about 30 minutes on the game before giving up on it because "the controls sucked." Motherfucker.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

K&M users whining about auto aim is literally the saddest poo poo ever. Bunch of idiots lusting for a decade to use their unfair advantage against controller users and then crossplay actually happened and it turned out they just didn't understand how controllers worked at all and got rekt and now everyone has to listen to them cry about auto aim.

Dang dude you sound pretty angry about this issue

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I wasn't even complaining about autoaim giving an unfair advantage in multiplayer games, just saying that I don't like it in general (like as the person using it, not the person getting owned by it), but it sure set that other guy off :shrug:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It was the original PC port, which... yeah had some issues.

That said, DSfix or whatever was available at the time, and that took care of most of the major problems (like not being able to set the resolution to anything greater than 720p lol).

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Trackball emulation mode was the default and most popular setting on the steam controller's touchpad. You could set it spinning and take your fingers off and it would keep going, and it even had haptic feedback where it would kinda "click" as the imaginary trackball rotated so you could feel how it was moving.

I played Dark Souls & Monhun World with it like that and had a swell time.
It also had a gyro control, so you could set the sensitivity really high on the trackball for quick turns and then use the gyro to fine-aim for stuff like bow headshots.

Too bad the controller is discontinued. Mine broke and I had to stop using it because I couldn't finish Sekiro without being able to jump. They use the same trackpad design on the steam deck so maybe they'll make more controllers later, but who knows what goes on in gaben's head.

Yep! In Dark Souls you could use the track pad to flick the camera around way faster than you could move it with an analog stick. Made it really useful for pulling off bullshit in pvp.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Probably Ycom?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Basically every controller after the Atari 2600 and before the NES was absolutely garbage. For some reason everyone wanted their controller to be a phone and they were all built shoddily.

In Japan, both of these consoles were released in the same year (the NES actually came a few months earlier) :science:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Hey guys I've got a great idea let's take an RTS but make it so you can only control one unit, oh and also remove all of the macro and base building and replace that with an intense focus on details regarding upgrades that you can only begin to guess at after reading 11 wiki articles

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's still 10x easier to git gud at than the actual rts
my brain is way too small to play starcraft, it has so much loving multitasking

I think Starcraft is one of the more extreme examples in that regard (which is strange, because Blizzard usually goes the other way with their games). Dawn of War, Age of Empires, Populous, and I'd say even Command and Conquer are examples of RTS series that have easier barriers of entry than DOTA or LoL.

Duck and Cover posted:

Have you ever played Myth? I want another Myth. Bunch of units, no base building.

Myth and Myth II were awesome. I think there's a different subgenre name for that kind of game, like Tactical RTS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The only way a MOBA would be good would be if it's fully physics-based, with hazards and bottomless pits everywhere, a la Gang Beasts or Fall Guys