Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But while there are a ton of NES “classics” that do not hold up, Zelda, Metroid, most versions of the shmup franchises to name a few, there are a ton that are as good as ever, Mario 1&3, Megaman 1-3, Kirby’s Adventure, Castlevania 1&3, Ninja Gaiden 1&2 etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rockman Reserve posted:

i can see this, never got zero mission. wish I could play it on the switch

did metroid 2 have a minimap? was metroid 2 actually any good? i borrowed it from a friend for a while but didn’t play it much, iirc it’s like metroid 1 but with a collectathon?

Metroid 2 has no mini-map but is still actually good. The game is way more linear and level based so you only really need to mentally map a small section at a time. There’s a little collectathoning but nowhere near the first or later entries. It also controls massively better than Metroid 1.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

gameboy games i will agree are genuine crap. there are a few exceptions:

-final fantasy legend 1-3
-Zelda links awakening
-metriod 2
-puzzle type games like tetris/qix/dr mario

You forgot:
Mario land 1&2
Wario Land 2
Kirby’s Dreamland 1-3
Pokémon RBY (yes it is good shut up)
Donkey Kong
There’s more but I don’t know if GBC games count as “Game Boy games” or their own thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Halo should have been put to rest when Bungie was done with it, because by god has Microsoft done nothing but put out stinker after stinker after they bought it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I also played about 30 minutes of Gears of War 5 recently (both it and halo are on gamepass) and they both had this thick sheen of like, I don't know how to describe it but they both felt very clearly designed with "people who have never touched a videogame before" as the primary audience. Gears of War 5 has a literally 15+ minute unskippable narrative tutorial segment that teaches you things no more advanced than "use WASD to move. Press W now. Great! That moves you forward. Press S now. Great!! That moves you backwards. Now press A. Ahem.. please press A. Okay great! That moves you left! Now press D... cool! Now let's do each of those one more time to be sure." As someone who has played a videogame or two before the Gears of War 5 tutorial was insulting enough that I refused to play the rest of the game. Halo is kind of the same thing. It was very abundantly clear from the onset that neither one was going to feature anything new, exciting or interesting for a seasoned gamer such as myself. They're like the McDonalds of videogames.

Wait which Halo? Because the old Bungie ones literally only do that if you play on the easy difficulty. And to be fair to the original Halo, when it came out most console players had legit never played an FPS or even a first person game period. So it made a kind of sense to have a short “This is how an FPS works”segment.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
God the Doom revival has been so great. After Doom 3 was such a garbage pile who’d have thought they’d turn it around so completely.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Instead of tutorials you should be required to demonstrate basic game literacy through progressive certifications. You can’t just have your first game be some modern complex one. Everyone has to play a game of Spacewar! as their first game, then they are allowed to start playing the OG arcade games like Pac-Man, then you’re allowed up to move to Super Mario Bros. And so on till you’re qualified enough to play modern games without needing stuff explained to you.
Everyone is required to carry on their person a “Gamer Card” that documents their “Gamer Score”. In order to purchase a game you have to show your card to show you’re qualified enough.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I actually liked Breath of the Wild’s durability for 90% of the game. I think the reason it worked was a combination of factors. For one the fact you couldn’t repair things and they have very few uses, so they were more like fps “power weapons” with limited ammo than as equipment you had to painstakingly manage and maintain. Then they have just gargantuan amounts of it constantly being thrown at you, so you not only always have a source, but are encouraged to use up what you already have in a kind of juggling “weapons loop”. Then the equipment lacks a bunch a unique stats and abilities, so you don’t have to worry about how you’ll never get an rng role this good again. And finally the game is designed all around finding ways to accomplish things without having to use your weapons, they instead serve as a panic button/plan B.
Unfortunately this falls apart in the last stretch of the game because you start getting these weapons with tons of durability and huge damage, so you reach a point where fighting enemies will always cost more resources than you can gain, encouraging you to just run past and ignore everything. But that only happens near the end.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Moon Monster posted:

This is the entire game you just started noticing it during the last stretch for some reason. Fighting in that game is super pointless 95% of the time due to the poo poo durability system.

I’ll have to disagree with you there, because until the last stretch of the game you have a good chance of replacing your lame club or sharp stick with a much better weapon, and you can get much needed money. It’s not till the later stages of the game, when all your weapons are already the highest tier and you can’t spend money faster than you gain it, that the whole system falls apart.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
All you privileged PC gamers with your fancy schmancy ability to just turn off motion blur and bloom and such. Us console peasants sometimes get the option to turn off motion blur if we’re lucky. The most advanced game my decade+ laptop can run is Morrowind and it still chugs and glows white hot from it. And thanks to crypto patsy’s stealing all the computers I’m never going to get replacement.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

Video game genres are dumb ways to makes you sound like a sophisticated taxonomist. these are the real genres:

-Doom
-mario
-final fantasy (Dragon warrior in japan)
-mario 64
-Dune 2
-grand theft auto 3
- civilization
-street fighter
-double dragon
-sports

I know this is like a hundred posts old but it’s actually quite accurate and better than the generally accepted genre names. It’s missing around five or so types but the fundamentals are sound.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Elentor posted:

Gamebryo

It really does seem like games just stopped advancing technologically with the PS2/Xbox/GCN. The graphics have gotten a little better but to such a small degree that new games exist on multiple generations of console. Bethesda can literally still run their games on the same engine they were using four consoles ago.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
A walk through the shelves at a physical bookstore (do those still exist?) and looking at all the absolute drek is all the evidence you need that there isn’t some inherent quality that makes literature good, even compared to video games. It’s Sturgeon’s law people. Of course Call of Duty 46 and Anime RPG 72 are garbage, so is that Tom Clancy ripoff paperback with a name like “Force Warrior” or whatever.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Remember guitar hero and all those plastic “instruments” now filling the worlds landfills? Lol it takes so much effort to get good just learn to play guitar. At least with Pac-Man and Dark Souls I can’t actually learn how to be a magical knight or a Pac-Man in real life for the same effort.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lucas Archer posted:

Destiny 1 is still one of the best FPS games out there and the Taken War missions are the best series of story missions in any shooter.

All the cool Destiny lore like the books of sorrow and such isn’t in the actual story though. If you weren’t an obsessive nerd like me who derives joy from learning about “Grontor, the Red Lord of the Cursed Realm” in all the item descriptions and such Destiny is just: “Go shoot that big robot gun-man.”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What happened to rhythm games anyhow? I’m not sad to see them go because I have the musical talent of a deaf drunkard so they’re not fun, but I had no ill will towards them. It just seems weird how we had so many DDR’s and Guitar Heroes and elite beat agents and it all just vanished in smoke. Even other genres that “went away” like Schmups still have devoted niche communities (like me) and get regular new releases. I never see any rhythm games on the eshop or similar.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don’t think I’ve ever played a game with a “draw” gimmick like Dawn of Sorrow or Okami where the game wasn’t objectively better with it removed. Note I’m not talking about actual drawing games like Kirby’s canvas curse.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

From a commercial standpoint though having famous chart toppers that cost a billion dollars to license is definitely necessary. No one would have bought Guitar Hero without it, the whole selling point was “Now you too can play Wayward Son just as good as Kansas!”. And Clone Hero can’t exist without the plastic toy guitars , and those can’t exist without the real guitar hero being commercially successful.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard there's a Sailor Moon one that's surprisingly good. Probably still only by those standards.

On another note: most Game Boy games are really, really bad. Though I think it was definitely a case of the shovelware problem, since Game Boy games were probably relatively easy and cheap to develop and being put out for an extremely good-selling platform popular with young children whose parents didn't give a poo poo about quality.

It’s definitely a shovelware problem. The Gameboy had just an obscene amount of games released on it that would not be matched until the PS1&2 (two systems also famous for gargantuan amounts of shovelware) More than a thousand in fact.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still using my launch day DS phat. I think the phat was the last system that was really made to last. Even Nintendo doesn’t make durable stuff anymore.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gatcha’s are a lot like NFTs. Dumb people bankrupt themselves paying for them, smart people just copy-paste the jpg.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s strange how Nintendo showed everyone how the schmup genre still had a place in the 3D era with Starfox 64 and then everyone just… didn’t. They all copied Mario and OoT to make other genres work in 3D (hell even today like 60% of new games are working on an OoT framework) but no one ever really copied it except I guess Panzer Dragoon which sucked. Even the more “arcadey” flyan’ an shootan’ games like Rogue Squadron never really tried to be a 2D schmup in 3D like Starfox did. And Starfox 64 was a big hit so I don’t understand why there was never a big movement to build on it. Hell even Nintendo has spent the last 20 years refusing to make a Starfox 64-2 despite everyone demanding it. Instead we get an Oot game about dinosaurs, a floaty unresponsive game that either refuses to do rail segments or makes us play a godawful third person shooter, a touch screen “tactics” game with no rail shooting, or a gyro game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MrQwerty posted:

Do you know when Panzer Dragoon and Starfox 64 came out

I read their release dates reversed when I googled it. Panzer Dragoon still sucked though so no one would copy that till Starfox made it work.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Redezga posted:

Was Pokkén Tournament any good? If so Nintendo should just let Bandai Namco make a Starfox Ace Combat seeing as All-Range Mode was the best part anyway.

I thought all range mode was the coolest as a kid because in the mid 90s how could you not be blown away by 360 degrees of action. But playing the game today it’s the rail shooting segments that really hold up.

That loving Sned posted:

The reason they don’t make Star Fox games any more is that none of them have more than an hour of content. I still love short but replayable games, but there are too many people who think “hours of my life wasted = value”

You’re not getting another Star Fox unless they find a way they can justify selling it for $60 (and Miyamoto finds another way to ruin the gameplay).

I think the obsession with the $60 game is right on the mark. The reason that 2D schmups still sell enough to get made is that the people who make them have accepted that they have to sell them at a cheaper price. This is probably helped immensely by the rise of eshops/steam/downloadable games. Now it’s possible to sell on the cheap since you don’t have to manufacture and distribute. It’s probably helped a lot of other genre’s too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Where did all these mouse AV’s come from?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How can you call yourself a gamer if you didn’t use an Official Strategy Guide as your entertainment when taking a mondo dump.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

I had a strategy guide for Final Fantasy 9 and even though that was toward the end of those kinds of books existing it was still full of nice illustrations and legit helpful suggestions

Strategy Guides (the officially licensed ones) were the only way to see all the cool concept art and official artwork back in the day. Now a days they sell art books or you can just copy paste the jpegs from online. Hell even fanart can be actually high quality these days. But it was mind blowing to see like, Amano’s art in an FF guide or a bunch of “high quality” cg renders in the Starfox 64 guide back when the only thing you could see was boxart (which America always ruined) and your friends terrible scribbles on a piece of college ruled he made in math class.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Meme Poker Party posted:

What are some good games you wanna play that don't have enough people?

Chromehounds on the 360, though that’s more the servers no longer exist than just low player count. You joined one of three countries in the notCaucasus and every match you played tried to seize or defend territory from the other two. So the “season” or whatever would continue until one faction had taken the other two enemy capitals and then it would start over.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There was this ad for some N64 mech battle game in Nintendo Power that I was super hyped for and then it ended up never being released outside Japan. It should be illegal to do that. Once you’ve advertised a game in a region you should be legally required to release it there.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
New Opinion:
Donkey Kong ‘94 has the best plot twist in gaming, no, in human storytelling.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

jokes posted:

Don’t play games you don’t like, play games everyone enjoys like Chromehounds when the servers were online.

There’s a kind of unique form of sadness that comes from playing an old game/console and running across a feature that no longer functions. Servers for multiplayer are the most common examples but far from the only ones. You don’t even to actually have wanted to use the feature or the feature to have been any good. But it still makes you feel this twinge of emptiness.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

AAA games from 2021 don't look any better than 2011 ones anyways

The jump in graphics quality from launch era PS2/Original Xbox/GCN graphics to late era PS2/Original Xbox/GCN graphics was legit bigger than the jump from late PS2/Original Xbox/GCN era to the modern day. Compare the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 2 to the difference between Halo 2 and Halo Infinite. The latter look more alike despite being 4 console generations apart.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It feels like too long since we've talked about Dark Souls.

Is 3 easy? I'm not that far in, a handful of bosses, but I haven't had my rear end fuckin rocked constantly like 1, 2 and Bloodborne.

I found 3 the hardest but in a “bad game design” sense rather than a “git gud” sense. Bloodborne was the hardest otherwise but it’s difficulty came from its gameplay being precision tuned rather than 3 whose difficulty comes from being a mismatched mess.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Character customization can be good or not in different ways in different types of games. In soulslike’s I absolutely love picking my armor based more on aesthetics than on numbers, and spend unhealthy amounts of time creating awesome custom outfit combinations to play in. Meanwhile I give the bare minimum of effort forward the face sliders. Take Nioh 2. I love making crazy samurai armor to wear and it all makes sense in game, but I leave my face as default “generic handsome Japanese dude” because that’s how the characters and world treat you.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But anyway every game should let you transmog your armor pieces for free like the Nioh games do.
In fact games should be more like Nioh generally.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Saying that the simplification of Elder Scrolls is the fault of the insidious console gamer falls apart at the slightest scrutiny when you remember the series only got popular in the first place when they ported Morrowind onto Xbox with zero changes. Casualification or whatever you want to call it is just the inevitable result of something getting popular no matter what platform it’s on.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Disco Pope posted:

Fallout 4 is pretty great, but its wrapped in poo poo. The main story? loving horse poo poo. The radiant quests? poo poo, but patched to be better at least Levelling system? Flawed as poo poo. Dialogue system? Clown poo poo.

But played as a post-apocalyptic arcade exploration game where you wonder where ever looks interesting and enjoy the stories and set pieces of individual areas and dungeons, it's a loving blast.

Most people fans of the series won't play it that way on there first attempt at least. I reluctantly played it a third time that way starting in November and I had a riot. Didn't touch the stiff I didn't like until the last few days of play.

This, by the way, is how most regular people play Bethesda games, and it made me realise what a dour nerd I sound like when I scoff at Skyrim or whatever.

Morrowind will always be the best Bethesda game for the simple fact the first quest of the main story (walking to the nearest town and talking to a guy) ends with said guy telling you that the main story isn’t that important or immediately pressing, and you honestly shouldn’t play it right now. He gives you twenty dollars, and shoos you out the door.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How did point and click games get the name “Adventure” anyway? As terribly broad and vague as most game genre names can be they at least usually bear some relation. Adventure though, like most games are about an “adventure” yet are not adventure games. And like half of adventure games don’t actually have an adventure in them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much all video game genres are arbitrary as hell. The same could be said of all genres. Ya gotta categorise things somehow with language more than one person can understand.

Someone itt said like a hundred posts ago we should just call everything an “x clone” and honestly that’s a pretty good idea.
Doom clone
GTA III clone
OoT clone
Mario clone
Mario 64 clone
Resident Evil clone
Street Fighter clone
Dynasty Warriors clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Barudak posted:

I debate between that and pathfinders as the term for metroidvanias. Like come on, at least search action at least implies something about the actual gameplay. Hell "keyring platformer" as stupid as it sounds is better.

Nintendo is trying to make “Action-Exploration” stick as of Metroid Dread. It’s serviceable considering “Metroidvania” is too tied up in copyright law to be used officially.