Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even with them gone, skyward sword was a chore to play. Like worse than ocarina somehow, and that's one of the worst games in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Majora's mask and Wind waker are the only good 3d Zelda's the others are lovely 3d action games with bad controls and dumb puzzles, or Botw which is just sort of boring after awhile and has poo poo dungeons. 2D zelda is in every respect a better form of the franchise

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't a lot of Zelda fans lose their goddamn minds at some reviewer giving Twilight Princess 8.8? Just as well no one gives a poo poo about games journalism anymore.

Yeah, that would be one Jeff Gerstmann, Ocarina fan's are loving crazy, probably because the N64 was such a lovely console that all they had to play was Mario 64 and Ocarina

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

yes, it was the original gamergate

i fuckin' love botw and the stuff it experiments with but the rest of your post here is 10000% the truth. nerds are nerds but i honestly kind of think the ~console wars~ got much worse in the late 90s because of the 64's scant library that happened to lock up a few genuinely great games. sega does what nintendon't and all, but the psone/64 divide seemed way more intense than the genesis/snes one in my area.
It was pretty dire, my buddy had a 64 and I had a PS1 and I remember how defensive he'd get when I'd come over with a new game I bought every month and all he ever had was Mario,Zelda, and Pokemon stadium.

I honestly feel really bad for the owner's of the system they were let down by nintendo hard, I don't know if you listen to any retorgames podcasts/youtubes but Modern Vintage Gamer and Retrohour UK have both had talks about the N64 and how challenging it was to develop for it was, most of the actual documentation for the subsytems was still Japanese only two year's into devopment, the people who ported RE2 to the N64 had to create their own interlacing and codec just to get the FMV's to run because there was zero help from nintendo to do so.

Rockman Reserve posted:

also i can't remember if i said it in the other thread or not but i dig your new av and have been enjoying reading your analyses as someone quite a bit further but much more confused than you are
I can assure you that as I'm finishing round 3 I'm very confused. I do think I have a decent grasp on the meta plot but the details continue to confound me. I can honestly say the only thing saving me in that game is the fact I voraciously read mystery novels as a child.

Now that my money ain't going to a wife beater I figured after half decade it was time to get a real avatar, and what could be better than seeing Beato's smiling face everytime I post.

signalnoise posted:

I'm just tryin to save Zelda for god's sake
You wanna save Zelda then give the franchise back to Capcom, they made a full half of the good games in the series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The switch is unplayable undocked. Such an awkward underpowered unbalanced mess of a system.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah some games just don't feel designed for it, the toxins just suck rear end, it's way too big, the battery life is atrocious it's just not a good console when you try and use it's main gimmick.

The size is my main issue with it really it shouldn't even be considered portable at that size I wish nintendo would make an actual portable about the size of the psp so I could play games on the go, as of right now my only options are old systems and chinese portables running emulators.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think that's all that unpopular an idea. Add squenix to the list so I can get another goddamn deus ex

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The problem is they have zero modus operandi. You can scour every terminal and dialogue in the game and never find a reason for anything they're doing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Putting a bullet in her head is one of the most satisfying things a person can experience.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah probably

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing games to have "fun" is ridiculous, you can't even measure "fun". I myself only play games I detest, and then go on the internet and complain about them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you're playing a game designed for a CRT monitor on an LCD, then you aren't playing the same game, way too many people complain about older games graphics when they aren't even bad if you're playing them on appropriate hardware

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a filter but hopefully it get's the point across the first image screams "I can't believe games used to look so awful" While the second says "Wow gaming on a CRT was objectively superior, I can't wait to throw my Ps5 in the trash because only three games worth playing have been released since 2000"

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

they both look like earthworm jim for the SNES to me :shrug:

That was the genesis version, Prolly not the best example but my point still stands games looked better than we display them now and it's ruining a generation who now think retro games were pixel filled nightmares

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's only like 200 pounds. Kinda sucks cause the weights at the front but it ain't difficult

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

An entire generation, ruined!

I don't know, I grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles on CRTs and when I load up an emulator it better have some 4x filter so I can enjoy those graphics in an almost-remastered fashion, regardless of "authenticity".

Ruined!

It's nice to meet the man in charge of the final fantasy mobile games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

jokes posted:

Right, but monitors are a billion times better and now the pixelation looks like poo poo because of it.

Like, look at Salamander's baton or whatever-- it's just a diagonal line and it's horrible

Even 4k monitors get blown outta the water by a 16 year old trinitron.

https://youtu.be/V8BVTHxc4LM

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This doesn't hold nearly as true nowadays, it took me months to get my last trinitron and it's only a 10incher. Less and less people are doing repairs, spare parts are running out, and a lot of people unfortunately just dump em in the trash. If you can get a crt get it, they're running out and nobody seems to wanna start building new ones.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure all the art was probably hand drawn first before being put into the game

I know at least a lotta the guys working on old speecy and Amstrad games were choosing the graphics right on the machine without any sort of reference material.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You're wife is objectively wrong

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

my wife is always right

She married you so she's made at least one bad call.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That looks nothing like the sorceress from dragon's crown.

Edit:Trust me I'm an expert on anime titties

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gamefreak continues to resolutely design games for the 9-12yo demo and hope the weird adults go away

which, frankly i dont blame them
They balance the games for their poo poo competitive format, which is the only thing to do in the postgame since they stripped every single good feature out of the maingames by now. You do have to gorgive them the creators of one of the most valuable franchises in history, there's know way they could put in all the pokemon or make models that don't look like poo poo. It's not like a budget Digimon game managed to. gently caress Gamefreak, gently caress Creatures Inc, and gently caress the people who defend those lazy rear end motherfuckers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a different medium and most novel writers sick in it. Half of ubisofts games have a quote unquote real writer and they still suck rear end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triss is absolutely the correct choice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Running them all at once if you need another Blood Rock or wanna see Yahrnham sucks hard, doing them piecemeal is the way to go but most people at launch just blitzed through the game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

Every souls boss should be beaten solo. If you cooped it, you didn't actually beat it.

Yes, except the Squad in the Church in Dark souls 2, you should absolutely max out your summon slots on that one so you can see how fast you can pour through the door and stomp everyone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I can absolutely see how combat in witcher 3 could be actually enjoyable on hard difficulty settings because of all the different stuff you can do to get an edge if you're playing the game really thoroughly but also I just set it to easy and just ran wherever I wanted and hacked everything with a red bar to bits and every time I thought I'd take it up a notch I immediately regretted that because of all the aspects of it that I found tedious. It was somehow both way too slow and also way too busy and twitchy for me
The way Witcher 3 did level scaling and loot killed any desire in me to treat it as a combat heavy game, right out of the starting area I found some Ice Golem 20 levels above me that I managed to slowly whittle down with careful use of signs and bombs, after a twenty minute fight I check the chest he has and it's some lovely sword I can't use and a broken fishinpole or somesuch nonsense. I realized then their was no point in ever trying to beat anything harder than the game preferred for my level.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's the best because she's the only romance option I know the composition of their sweat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty hosed up there's no dialogue option to convince her you're her only hope to repopulate the galaxy with Half Quarians

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can tell it's sci fi cause the lady has green or maybe blue skin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Legends of The Galactic heroes my dude

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody who likes the river city games should check out The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. It's like you took 'em slapped em with the Sarte and Shenmue stick and sent them out into the world. It's unabashedly my favorite video game of all time. It's a game a bunch of people are gonna bounce from, but I think it's worth a shot

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Well, I keep seeing this on the Switch eshop and I was always really wary of it from video but I suppose I should try it

In all honesty it shares very little DNA with the Kunio kun games except a shred of inspiration, but I'm desperate to get people to try it out. If it hits I guarantee it'll hit. It's a game about finding what matters to you in the world. Finding purpose, and the end of adolescence. Written with such a palpable sense of Ennui and Existential dread that you know it came from a Russian. If we can measure art by the reaction it evokes in the viewer, I can say I've never seen a game that's left me with such a sense of hollowness before, It's true art in every sense of the word.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's legitimately awful looking, Like I hate the way Links Awakening Redux looks, but holy poo poo would I take that over the weird Roblox people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I was talking more about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUW1ZWAq09M

but that one looks gross as well
Holy poo poo, I didn't even see that one. Can we just fire Masuda, have Nintendo take direct control and give the franchise a 3 year break and hopefully come out with something that isn't trash. Looks like loving garbage and runs at 10 FPS, I've never seen a company so thoroughly gently caress up a series before, at least one I like.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

Holy poo poo you're right, the new Pokemon games do look exactly Dark Cloud 2. And yeah it's hilarious how much they're phoning Pokemon when it makes so much money

Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time, bigger than Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, and Mario. Remember that every time someone makes an excuse for the worthless dregs making the games there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The gulf between link's awakening and pokemon is far less than between botw and Arceus legend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

pokemon yellow is really hard at the beginning because pikachu can't do poo poo against the rock pokemon at the first gym

Both the Nido's and Mankey are right there

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

It's plausible that a 13 year old would not know to catch and level them

There's a forced tutorial before that point, I figured this poo poo out when I was ten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

there's a forced tutorial teaching you about damage types and weaknesses? I don't think so pal

No but there's a trainer school, and all your friends on the playground, and we all watched the loving anime.

Me as a literal child and every friend I knew managed to beat the game, It's literally targeted at children.