Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Who are these freaks who replay games once you finish them? I don’t find joy in repeating a game faster, I find joy in discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
There are certainly trap builds, like picking the knight class in DS1 and thinking fat rolling is just how rolling works in souls games. Or not knowing ADP is vital in DS2.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
FF15 had the best looking videogame food at the time of release

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

deep dish peat moss posted:

I guess I'm just an old man yelling at clouds because all of my complaints about video games basically boil down to "I don't like the way video games have evolved let's go back to 15 years ago"

question is, which year do you think 15 years ago is?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Caesar Saladin posted:

My niece plays Roblox because she gets to run around in a mall with fairy wings and stuff doing minigames, seems harmless to me.

Those wings are actually a paedophile in disguise

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bg85g?start=1230

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Caesar Saladin posted:

i like having ps5 disks because i can lend and borrow games wiith my friends and family

you know you're rich when even your friends and family own ps5s

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Caesar Saladin posted:

People who datamine secrets from video games are total losers. I feel like there are probably people who datamine and post stuff before even playing the game. What a lame rear end thing to do when everyone could find the secrets on their own and have fun figuring them out together.

What about datamining old games?

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=38140.0

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Talos Principle 1 and 2 is cool and good. Though I feel they reduced the difficulty in the sequel, I only really got stumped by a few bonus puzzles.

But it's always a balance in creating a puzzle game - you have to create something that the average player can complete and still feel smart for completing, go too far one way and it just feels like busywork, and go too far the other way and you end up with Snakebird.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

veni veni veni posted:

You should make a PHD level philosophy video game then space homos

Someone already did, it’s called hentai quest 5

The subtext is a bit hidden though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Zombo isn’t games, it’s real life

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Lol nice rage post moron. Welcome to the unpopular opinion thread bitch.

Edit: I played Talos 1 when it came out and its some lame existentialism that brings up nothing new. Of course tons of CS majors and people who have no self awareness think its good.

looking at any media at all: "this is just some lame man vs something story that brings up nothing new"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
For some reason I always end up with the longsword or broadsword in souls games. Always promising myself that I will try different weapons, and here I am again, hitting the final boss with my starting sword.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Duck and Cover posted:

On further play (9.7 hours total just left megastructure for 2nd time). I know you won't, but god drat shutup Jonathan Blow I've had enough of your philosophy to last many lifetimes.

I guess it is a joke about the wordiness and discussions about philosophy, but in any case - Jonathan Blow was not in any way involved with Talos Principle 1 or 2

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Sen's Fortress got nothing on early 1980-1990 games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDmJNcYLbuQ&t=80s

Spikes that you literally can't see until you jump down a screen

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Private Cumshoe posted:

No one can name a video game sequel that's better than the original tbh it's impossible

morrowind

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I thought Fortnite: Save The World started out as a pay once thing like a normal game? Maybe they changed the pricing model after the runaway success of Fortnite PVP

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

deep dish peat moss posted:

New Vegas is the first game I ever played while really high and I remember spending like 10 minutes staring at road textures and thinking "holy poo poo this looks photorealistic, it's like I'm actually there"

I had this with the puddle filled dirt roads in assassins creed 3

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If bioshock infinite had japanese subtitles, half this forum would consider it the greatest game of all time, lmao

pretty sure you can turn on japanese subtitles if you want to

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Vampire Panties posted:

yo how do i beat these skeletons in dark souls 1

i found a mace and i can whittle them down after forever but they loving suck

Did you just start the game? The catacombs are a mid game area, go up instead

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Elden Ring side dungeons are cookie cutter shaped and are mostly boring as gently caress and have less creativity in them than Oblivion dungeons

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Did you know the onion parent company is all in on the AI bandwagon and wants to replace all its writers

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Dick Fontaine posted:

goddamnit nerds why you gotta be like this? :staredog:

It probably wasnt intentional, they probably just included every single page when scraping fanfic sites, and welp

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Any Persona fans here?

I bought 5 but before I start it, is it better to hop in at an earlier game?

All the numbered games are unrelated, so hop right in. Did you buy it on Steam? I think people generally recommend Persona 5 Royal, so if you got the non-Royal version I'd refund and get the updated version.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Vic posted:

You mean the very feature that made Unreal Tournament more popular over Quake in the year 1999 when people used 56k modems to connect to the internet from their workplace?

Wild!

Quake 3 also came out in 1999 and also had bots, not sure which was more popular though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Floodixor posted:

In the FPS genre, my one qualm is that Prey (new Prey, not the older one) got sniped by lovely reviews on release and sort of buried it. It's the best game I've played in the last, like, 10 years. It's amazing.

I hope that a sort of "legacy" thing happens to it, it becomes a cult favorite, and they bring back production for a sequel.

Prey on Playstation had horrible horrible control lag, and it should get 5 of 10 on that platform just because of that. Prey on PC was wonderful, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
iirc they both used the actual doom engine and was published by id software so not sure doom clone is the exact word

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 18, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

Someone seriously used "jump scare" to describe dark souls lol

why are you laughing

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I always ended up killing all the knights one by one to extinction in the Iron Keep due to dying so much

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The issue is the bow ones

edit: and my lack of parrying skills

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
someone hasn't played bioshock infinite

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Moon Monster posted:

All computer graphics are pixel graphics, actually.

You forgot about Vectrex

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah but they're too cowardly to call you Pinocchio, you're just Carlo and the name Pinocchio is never said, not even in reference to the Pinocchio book that also for some reason exists in that universe. Really you're more of an Astro Boy anyway.

I assume it's some hosed up licensing thing or just to avoid Disney's wrath

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cassette Moodcore posted:

It’s not unpopular but maybe it is because there’s not a lot of mystery solving games

Why aren’t there more games like Return of the Obra Dinn

Chants of Sennaar (kinda)
The Roottrees Are Dead
Unheard

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Alternatively: just play the three good Danganronpa games and ignore everything else in the universe

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

DVD menus have always sucked rear end and I wish they didn't exist. Like we seriously need to pass a loving law to get rid of that bullshit.

I was very impressed as a teen when I saw a dvd menu playing videos from several chapters at once, then later I realized it wasn’t reading multiple streams off the disc, it was just a looping custom video

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

What the gently caress dont touch the surface with your hands!!!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
There are too many systems in the combat in FF7Rebirth. They've introduced two new systems, both called Synergy, that do different things in different ways.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SCheeseman posted:

That's the problem with only going by first impressions, because the thing that isn't immediately evident about Palworld is that the base automation, which directly integrates into the stolen borrowed Pokemon systems, massively reduces the usual grind that games like Ark and it's ilk suffer from.

At launch, it was not quite enough automation for me, as you still needed to manually transport materials between stations. Maybe it’s better now?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
There are at the moment 182430 people playing Palworld. I leave the conclusion to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I assume most of the highway building cooperation is fake, you just get outside completion at random intervals