Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
ultima 8 was cool and underrated

i put an absurd amount of hours into it loving around with the hackmover cheat (lets you move literally anything around including npcs, floor and wall pieces) when i was a kid doing poo poo like building my own town in the middle of nowhere.

I even loved the finicky rear end sorcery system where you had to study the formulas and perfectly set up all the reagents and candles around a pentagram. It took me hours to finally get them all in the right pixel-perfect place but drat if it wasnt satisfying to finally get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Master of orion 1 > Master of orion 2. Actually MOO1 > pretty much any other 4x game before or since. Civ 4 probably comes the closest but even it feels bloated compared to MOO1. And thats not just nostalgia either, I only started playing MOO1 like 2 years ago.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
madden is an RPG.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Would you say Citizen Kane is the Dark Souls of movies?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Gothic 2 is better than any of the Dark Souls games

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
You guys ever play that game Dragons Dogma?

Because I haven't

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Vic posted:

Not to mention you can build/get a computer for literally free if you keep an eye out, and have free games to play for the rest of your life. And the rabbit holes you can go down... Like for example Mechwarrior: Living Legends. It's Crysis mod (don't have to own Crysis) with the biggest roster of mechs of any mechwarrior game but also tanks, planes and vehicles. And it's really loving good.

Meanwhile old consoles are being sold at crazy prices because baseball capped dorks are trying to relive their childhoods.

Its true, I probably spend close to 1000$ a year on video games and the 2 I ended up spending more time playing than anything else last year (easily 150+ hours each) were both completely free mods (STALKER: Anomaly and Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos) also pretty sure you dont need to even own the original games to play them same as MW legends

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

My first computer came with a Soundblaster compatible card.

I put a game in. Sound doesn't work. No matter what i can do it doesn't work.

I bring the computer and the game back to the store.

"You said it was compatible."

"it is"

"well, put a sound blaster in and see what happens."

They did and the sound worked immediately.

"how is that compatible?"

My next PC I built myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I thought Breath of the Wild was boring

you thought right. same with witcher 3.

elden ring has been the only good 'open world' game in the last decade

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

fridge corn posted:

My dad liked to play Diablo except he would pick up everything piece of trash loot and bring it back to town to sell

My dad was a Diablo Dad and he did the same thing. The only game he ever played all the way through. He still likes to remind me to this day that it was the only game he ever beat before I did.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

!Klams posted:

What's a good PC game I can get? I want a fancy graphics FPS, ideally.

STALKER: Anomaly is really good and also free so you might as well try it

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

if you end up liking it check out the GAMMA modpack

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
my uncle at ninendo says they're working on the xbox 361 but they cant release it yet because its too relasitic and people keep dying after getting killed in the games

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I set up Elite Dangerous with VR and a flight stick and it was incredible... for about 5 hours.

300 trillion different star systems, with nothing interesting to do in any of them

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
speaking of "submarine" combat sims, Highfleet's strategy layer is basically submarine operations with giant airships and its cool af

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
one of the biggest problems with modern MMOs: they are all designed around eliminating the need to cooperate with other players except for the highest-level content. I can understand why, having to wrangle a group of randoms to do basic leveling was terrible, but in the end you just have 1000 people playing a mediocre ARPG by themselves that just happen to be in the same server

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
name one good videogame, just one. its literally impossible

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
fans of botw will definitely enjoy the new zelda game (because its the exact same fuckin thing lmao)

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
listen magic and dragons and poo poo is one thing, but romance? sex stuff? attractive people wanting to get intimate with me? thats a bit too far. I want at least SOME level of verisimilitude in my video games

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Starfield just looks so aggressively mediocre. Especially coming out next to so many amazing releases this year. I guess had too much hope that Bethesda might have heard that Video Games are allowed to be good again.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Internet Old One posted:

Starfield looks great I love all the netimmerse games and in 5 years will be excited to get the VR version of this on sale for like $30 and install mods that make everything perfect for my first playthrough and then do my traditional 2nd playthrough where everyone is a naked girl.

But by all means keep complaining as hard as you can because forum complaints are like the Jira tickets of the modding world.

So immersive!! *ducks to avoid giant swinging VR futa dick*

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

The reason I skip voice acting is because I read way the gently caress faster than VAs speak so like in Baldurs Gate 3 for example people were literally spending 20-40 hours going through Act 1, but I was able to 100% act 1 in about 7 hours. That's how much goddamn voice acting it has. I saw all the same content and got all the same story beats but with 10-30 extra hours not stolen from my life by the great digital Shang Tsung.

I usually skip like 90% of VA lines in games for the same reason but let most of them play out in BG3 just because the performances and mocap was so well done

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
The best difficulty mode is in good open world games like Gothic where you get gated out by tough mobs if you go to the wrong area early on, but if you're good and creative enough you can find ways to get around them

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Issaries posted:

Nah. Those were the best gaming year (because I had lot of disposable gaming time)

Quick top 3:s for each year:

are you doing a bit here or something? that list is horrible

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I played Tears of the Kingdom for over 100 hours and enjoyed it a lot. It's one of my favorite games this year. It's also one of the most overrated games in history and kind of a crap sequel. Breath of the Wild is a much better game. TOTK leans super hard into all of the wrong things and doesn't improve on any of BOTWs shortcomings, in favor of doubling down on parts of the game that were already good and mostly just makes them worse. It's a really fun but unfocused game that mostly feels like sort of a mess.

I loved TOTK too but my thoughts were basically the complete opposite of this. I could not get into BOTW at all.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

neato burrito posted:

Mortal Kombat Khess

kinda?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18w10Y_gJKk

its more of a fighting game than a chess game though

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Lost Izalith in general is probably one of the worst zones in the whole series. In games known for smart enemy placement and interesting level design the whole giant empty lava pit with a bunch of chaos demons strewn about just screams 'we had no idea what to do with this area'

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

been playing Arx Fatalis and i'm realizing it's been a while since we've had any good new eurojank. Kingdom Come is the last one I can think of.

not exactly "new" eurojank but this polish gothic 2 total conversion is pretty amazing if you like that kind of stuff:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467450/The_Chronicles_Of_Myrtana_Archolos/

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

You should be able to gently caress the crow.

only if you're talking about Ornifex

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
the PVP in all of the soulsbourne games is bad and has always been bad, and probably will always be bad

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmno: Phantom Heat would like a word with you after class :toughguy:

PC Gamer was legit AF from 95-03 or so. The demo CDs... :fap:

I still remember that PC Gamer disc that had the FULL versions of a bunch of awesome older games I had yet to play like x-com, wing commander and ultima 4 I probably got at least a few hundred hours of entertainment out of that with my lovely old school laptop that couldnt play anything new at the time.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Serephina posted:

Don't know about online communities, but the dude who got me into these sorts of games and stuff back in '01 also had strong opinions about the game. Pretty sure he'd never have an account here, even ironically. His wife didn't like it either.

I know that's only like two people, but like you try finding people IRL who enjoy video games and that you'd also want to hold a conversation with. It's hard, man!

this is true. sometimes I think it would be nice to have friends to talk to who enjoy the same video games I do, but then that would mean having to be friends with gamers.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Elden ring DLC and SMT V vengeance both out 6/21 hell yeah cant wait to spend all summer in my room playing video games again

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

itry posted:

I tried the demo before launch and the dodging and parrying just felt kinda bad. But I'm also possibly just tired of this flavour of action rpg. I did like the weapon mixing system though. Maybe I'll pick it up on a sale.

if your more used to DS style combat it takes some adjusting, the game emphasizes blocking and parrying more over dodge rolling thru everything. its in kind of a weird place between Sekiro and DS but it works pretty well once you get used to it. Some of the later bosses are a little over-tuned though, you can tell the devs were looking to challenge people who are already souls veterans.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
the most scary thing in the Resident Evil series was playing RE4 VR on the quest 2 and turning around to see Ashley standing completely silently and still only inches from my face staring through me with her uncanny dead eyes, it was seriously one of the most unsettling things ive experienced

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've not played dota in just over 3 weeks and I feel happier and better for it.

Really looking forward to getting home from work tonight and playing mega man 3

thats awesome! it gets easier, just keep going one day at a time.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Ok seeing as how Dragons Dogma 2 is coming out soon here is my unpopular videogame opinion:

I could not get into Dragons Dogma 1 and I think its way overrated

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Unicorn Overlord came out today and its pretty good I had ignored it at first b/c of the dumb name but its actually a really cool updated version of Ogre Battle if you liked those games

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I have no opinion of my own and so I just do whatever the waifu wants. In Elden Ring you gotta pick which waifu though.

Dung Eater just wants everyone to have cool horns. Seems like a no-brainer to me

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Vic posted:

Gentle reminder to goons that No, your virtual representation in a videogame isn't in fact you personally lost in a cyberworld having nonconsensual cybersex. It doesn't count. You're still a virgin.

thats why I made sure my virtual representation completely fumbled Shadowheart so badly that even the immortal skeleton hanging out in my camp made fun of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

credburn posted:

What's the worst sex scene in video games?

Factorio