Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

nooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

That is so loving awful about Reyes.

Save us Florp Grobnar.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

sometimes I just have to close my eyes, block everything in the world out and think about baseball

now is one of those particular times

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Soon we will have pitchers with a deliveries like cricket bowlers, sprinting to home plate and then throwing from 20ft away

We need to stop this before it gets out of hand

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Someone will leave Ichiro off the first ballot just to get his name in a couple blog headlines, for sure yeah.

Ichiro rules forever, unanimous or not. This is already in the history books.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Ichiro could hit homers in every single at bat if he wanted to, he just chooses not to. It's not his style.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

i love you javy but i'm sorry that trophy looks like the maw of some tubeworm that lives in the ocean near thermal vents

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

The ideal swing mindset is just to step up to the plate and imitate Gary Sheffield as closely as possible.

This is my strategy for beer league softball so I don't know how well it works in MLB but I figure there has to be some carryover.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

1) Are you hitting .300?
2) Do you believe in dinosaurs?

1) Definitely not
2) I thought that was Carl Everett, but if Sheffield doesn't believe in dinosaurs either I'm gonna have to switch stances. Something more normal, like Jim Leyritz or Tony Batista.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You're not hitting .300 in beer league softball? The mendoza line is like .430.

I'm pretty bad but I make up for it with scrap, hustle and sliding into 1st.

I'm the Nick Punto of softball.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

that looks too glorious to even be real

im at a loss for words

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Dingleberry Jones posted:

The people who run Petco aren't used to rain, so they only have a gas station squeegee to dry the field.

the "great googly moogly" guy from the 90s snickers commercials is bailing out the water with a red solo cup

will_colorado posted:

The 2017 Padres were already underwater before PetCo was.

:discourse:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I follow baseball.

I spend huge parts of my free time reading about it. And big parts of my evenings during the season watching games. I watch other teams, I still collect baseball cards. Mike Trout is a phenom talent and the best position player in the game, hands down for me.

That said if he was eating in a restaurant or walking around in street clothes I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

The Yankees regularly posted pictures of various team members in street clothes checking out various NYC landmarks and even I couldn't recognize them half of the time. MLB players should be required to wear at least a cap at all times.

That is one beefy farm hunk. He's is great shape, I bet he just got out of the military, or maybe even the marines and he's home visiting his family. What a great guy. Thank you for your service young man.

wait hang on he's puttin on a hat

holy fcuk thats MIKE TROUT

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Your Taint posted:

Rizzo is also my wife's favorite player, but it's because she thinks he's "cute." For some reason she doesn't think Bryant is "all that handsome." Perhaps this is why she has seen me naked and not vomited violently??

My girlfriend also thinks Rizzo is "cute". Like he's adorable.

But the reaction for Kevin was "jesus christ..."

I'm okay with this because I CAN'T ARGUE

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Really surprised Tatis isn't on that list. 2 grand slams in one inning seems less likely to be repeated than a 20-pitch AB.

How quickly people forget to credit the equally remarkable feat from Chan Ho Park - the only pitcher to give up 2 grand slams in the same inning to the same batter.

Hell, now that I think about it, that record is maybe less likely to be broken. I have no idea.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 7, 2017

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

one of the WBC announcers just compared bogaerts to jeter by talking about how calm his eyes are

the announcer is still enthralled by the inescapable hypno-gaze of the captain and will only be released when jeter himself wills it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Uggggghhhhhh

ok i like you for now cubs but you gotta dial this poo poo back

Uggggghhhhhh

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Baseball should be played with tennis balls and metal bats because that's all I had when I was a kid and they go really far when you hit them and if you take a liner to the face it just stings pretty bad

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Popete posted:

Boog Powell? This dude has to be in the Cardinals org.

His nickname used to be "Little Mac", I think. Which is already taken by legendary cardinal great Joe McEwing.

Too much redundancy.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Sweemey
McSriff
Dandleton
Dustice
Mixon
Truk
Rortugal

He just googled sports players and then changed a couple letters

And it randomly jumps to hockey with

Nogilny
Furcotte
Dorque

This Japanese guy owns

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I shamefully forgot about Ron Tugnutt Bobson Dugnutt

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Man, I'd really have to rethink "Fighting Dogs" as a name for my baseball team if I was running that organization.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Also a big fan of Yadi just devoting 100% of his attention to first base as the pitch is being delivered, followed by an absolute laser.

https://twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/841865391374782465

A spectacularly ill advised steal attempt

Yadier Molina is awesome and good and I have always liked him, this is a Hot Take from forums poster Tom Gorman.

I expect backlash but these are my true feelings SAS.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

That thing looks like something that belongs on that fake Guy Fieri menu

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I'm planning an art project where I attempt to replicate a likeness of one of Bud Selig's sculpted bronze busts that will be displayed in Cooperstown. Except instead of bronze I plan on leaving a huge mound of taffy in the sun until it melts enough to bear a close resemblance and then spray it with that antique bronze rust-oleum.

Currently trying to figure out how to deal with the ants, which will be a pretty big issue.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Well that's awful news.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

Just because it's understandable doesn't mean it's right. The incident report is damning but I have no faith that MLB or the Marlins will turn Fernandez into a cautionary tale.

This is why this news really hurts.

It always hurts when someone passes away tragically due to a preventable lapse in judgement like this. If someone gets in a fatal crash while intoxicated, it's terribly sad, at least to me. I understand, as that's something that has been a part of my life. But as soon as innocents who lose their lives are involved, other victims - it's such a different feeling. When the incident with Oscar Taveras happened, there was very little sympathy around these parts. At the time I was kind of shocked by some of the responses, but ultimately I understand.

It's one of the few zero-tolerance ethical policies I believe in. I usually support some circumstantial...wiggle room? I'm an alcoholic, and as soon as that first drink gets into my system, I hang up those keys. No exceptions.

Loss of life is sad, and when it happens like this it's sad but also so disappointing.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I go long stretches of time where I completely forget about John Rocker but now and then a blurb about him appears and I do a quick google and I'm reminded of what a piece of poo poo he still is.

Not going to copy/paste some of his recent quotes on the current sociopolitical climate. Not worth anyone's time or attention.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I thought this was going to be the "fisting" compilation but I'll take this too.

I generally like Chip though.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

TYLER a yellow ribbon around that one! AUSTIN powers it over the wall in right. Yeeeaaaah baby!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Slightly disappointed this didn't culminate in a series of DX crotch chops

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Hahah what a dweeb

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Theo Epstein: better than the pope

#ThatsCub

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Zack Wheeler's hairline is loving tragic for a 26-year-old.

He's got more than I did at 26 :smith:

The tight buzz/shave is the way to go anyway

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I love that this doesn't even need to be a video clip or a gif to illustrate the point.

In fact this somehow makes it better.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Molina sure seems like he should be older than 33 but...huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I knew Greinke signed a giant contract but I guess I never did the math and figured out how much it was per year - he's making 34 million this year :wth: thats gotta be the highest AAV in baseball right?

Kershaw barely edges him out at 35.57m :wth:

• Locked thread