Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't really get that complaint, why is it bad that you don't have to have a 18x18 chart of type relations memorized? Why are QOL features equated with difficulty? The game doesn't even tell you if a move is good against a Pokemon or not until after you've encountered it once. Are Mega Man games after the NES era easier because you can quick switch between weapons with L and R buttons?

Oh absolutely, these things make the game easier. But they do so by removing bad difficulty. Just like, say, a game may be easier than its predecessor because it adds an option to skip battle animations, which means you need less patience when grinding; the predecessor was technically harder, just not in a way that any sane person would care about.

If you're crazy, though, then you see difficulty as purely a way to separate the True Fans from the Casuals, and thus any source of difficulty is good and you will defend the Rightness of being forced to sit through every goddamn battle animation every time because otherwise it would be too easy to grind up to L99 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

QOL features make games easier to play, they don't and shouldn't have an impact on a game's actual difficulty.

I'm saying that dumb fans will conflate accessibility (ease-of-access) with triviality (ease-of-play) and decry them both.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

all the pokemon entries about death are ghost being spooky and nature red in tooth and claw stuff

And also "good god Mother Nature is on all the drugs."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Seems cynical enough to be in a GTA game.

A GTA game where everything is resolved via Pokemon battles sounds just bizarre enough that it might work, if handled well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

I like how the sprite artist managed to get her tiny barette to line up perfectly with the arc of the off-center eyebrow they tried to squeeze in, resulting in Maria having one super long dramatic eyebrow.

Oh, is that what's going on? I couldn't not see the eyebrow. :raise:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

On the other hand, Alpha Protocol. :v:

Was amazing, but required a ton of work, only a fraction of which the player would see on any given playthrough. It's understandable that most games aren't willing to invest that much effort into anticipating, tracking, and responding to the player's actions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I have to wonder how you release an unbeatable boss. Like did you not test that someone can beat it to make sure it doesn't crash the server and send everyone's credit cards directly to the Russian Mafia or something?

Difficulty is kind of hard to test properly especially for things that you want to have take a long time. You don't want your QA team to have to do a two-hour raid every time they need to test something, so you code in shortcuts. It's pretty easy to forget to do a real run before release, especially with how practically every AAA videogame seems to go through a massive amount of "crunch time" during which people are spending so much time at work that they aren't really able to think clearly.

Put another way: software development practices are often dysfunctional, with the net result that significant bugs make it through to the final release.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's a stylized ant, it's got the abdomen and stuff but the design has been, for lack of a better word, cutified a bit.

But what does that have to do with s'mores?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I don't understand the idea behind 1% appearance rates.

It encourages obsessive people to spend more time playing your game to 100% it, and as everyone knows, time spent playing is a major indicator of game quality.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I admit, its really the 9 year development thing that gets me. You spent 9 years of your life working on this, and this is what you have to show for it.

I mean, I have a staircase handrail that took me over a year to make, because it spent 11 months sitting on the floor of my garage waiting for me to get back to it. I fully expect that there were years in there where very little happened with Uranium.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Prime 1 totally nailed "what if you played Metroid from a first-person perspective." Environments, pacing, exploration, the whole bit, it's great. Prime 2 iterated on the concepts introduced in Prime 1, substantially refining the gameplay and generally improving quality of life, but IMO suffered in the environment department -- Light Aether is mostly brown and Dark Aether is mostly purple and they both end up being kind of repetitive. Prime 3 improved on the environments over Prime 2 (its Wrecked Ship analog was amazing), but gameplay-wise was structurally flawed, what with the constant checking in with GalFed, the fact that you were never more than five rooms from your ship, the more rigid (and frankly, predictable) plotting with multiple active characters, and the whole overdrive system.

I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 but I know plenty of people who like 2 more and I'm hard-pressed to say they're wrong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Honestly, I didn't like having to manage ammo for my beam weapons in the sequels, it made me reticent to use anything other than the normal beam for anything that didn't expressly require one of the other beams. I think Prime 1 had the best overall design philosophy, and had the best balance between classic Metroid game mechanics and the FPS mechanics. I'd personally order it 1>3>2, I found a lot of the mechanics introduced in Echoes to be really annoying (like the constant damage in the dark world).

That was my initial reaction as well. The game works a lot better when you realize that if you kill an enemy using an ammo-using weapon they'll probably drop the opposing ammo type, and you can fire your ammo-using weapons even without ammo (it's just a lot slower). You should only be coming close to running out of ammo during the boss fights, otherwise it's pretty plentiful. That doesn't mean that I think making the beam upgrades use ammo was a good idea, mind you. I think they designed themselves into a corner for some reason and then tried to patch their way out of it.

I tried to replay 3 once. I spent something like an hour just getting to the part where Samus finally gets to go be by herself for awhile, and I turned the console off. Wandering around GalFed ships and talking to people is not what a Metroid game should be! :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

the brain fish is honestly kind of alright as well, but something about the finer details of the design always screamed 'fan-made pokemon' to me, probably because i don't think a canon pokemon would have some kind of actual exposed brain

That has more to do with brains not being cute than it does with any issues of practicality or evolutionary suitability. See also: spoink.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's basically a diggle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I wonder if it's supposed to be a reference to the onionkids from FF3? Maybe? Somehow? I can't think what else could have inspired that design.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Nuzlocke is the most prevalent type of challenge run for Pokemon games. Basic rules are permadeath (any Pokemon that falls in battle is considered dead and must be released), that only the first wild Pokemon encountered in a given area can be caught, and every Pokemon must be nick-named. There's a whole laundry list of additional restrictions people like to apply as well, like limiting item usage in battles.

Just because it's the most prevalent doesn't mean that the people who will find out about your game know what it is. That's the argument that Vexrm was making. The game makes no attempt to explain what Nuzlocke mode is, despite prominently presenting it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

I would play Poke-Britain and I hope there is something about the Isle of Mann

The Isle of Monn, surely.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Blue Mr. Popo isn't fooling anybody.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I want to see the description of that thing. Are they going to try to claim that it's a natural creature?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

The common response is "Yeah but this is a fan game only the hardcores are playing it anyway."

The worst part is these people are typically surrounded by sycophants to whom the response is "It's just a fan game, why do you care? Why should any effort be put in? Why are you being scrutinizing?" And I don't get that mindset. Who wants to just be told "Yeah, looks good." And not receive any proper feedback?

It's the same mindset as an artist saying "but that's just my style" when given feedback on their drawings. They don't want to improve, they just want to be praised. And the internet is full of hugboxes that enable that kind of behavior.

It's probably more common when it comes to videogames, though, because there are so few game developers in these communities that few are willing to risk alienating one by giving honest feedback. I mean, sure, the dev's output may not be all that good, but it's better than nothing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

krisslanza posted:

I imagine you get someway to ignore that later in the game, probably part of a plot point.
Dick Solomon being infected by radiation will give him the superpower to control Nuclear Pokemon!

You know, in real life anyone who has to go into a potentially radioactive environment is required to wear a badge that measures radioactive dose and alarms if you've been zapped too much.

Just sayin'.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

To rather badly oversimplify, when talking radioactive contamination, you are talking about both radiation, and radioactive objects. Water is pretty dang good at absorbing radiation, but if radioactive particles get into the groundwater, then they can be carried into rivers, wash up on the shore, and end up in drinking water, and that is bad.

In other words, water makes a good radiation shield, but is lousy for containment.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like the main issue is that the proportions look all weird. like someone glued illfitting wings onto a colorful penguin.

Of course, the mainline Pokemon always have perfectly reasonable proportions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

"What? You took the adamantium doors off and sold them for more treasure than exists in the dungeon? poo poo. Well, next time they're just valueless illusions!"

If I recall correctly it was more like "these are ordinary valueless doors, with an enchantment on them that causes them to behave exactly like adamantium unless they're removed from the dungeon." Which always struck me as kind of a cop-out, but I guess you need that kind of thing to keep the players from just disassembling the entire dungeon using high-yield mining magic or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Man. I must have played some kind of outdated version.
Because yeah, the game was pretty bullshit at points, but I certainly didn't need THESE shitkickers to get through it.

You must not be familiar with OrangeFluffySheep's MO. It's not a question of need.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's also the question of how much power they can output.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I do want to say how mad I am how each of these nuclear power plants keep exploding spectacularly. NUCLEAR POWER DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY :argh:

But nuclear bombs explode, surely nuclear power plants are just very slow bombs. It's only sensible! :eng99:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

beru04 posted:

Pokemon fanfics reminds me of the time I thought about doing one along the lines of the Truman Show, except the MC is Truman.

I mean, the Truman Show is a very accurate representation of basically any videogame.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ronch should be included

It's the next buddy-cop movie. Mawuh and Ronch!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hokage means fire shadow. Shouldn't the Water-type using surfing ninjas be led by a Mizukage?

You assume the developers even knew what the words mean, as opposed to just taking terms from their favorite animes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dramsama should absolutely have been DramaLlama instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

The pokémon's cry is their screams of terror

We need a Pokemon whose cry is the Wilhelm scream.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Reimou posted:

I think this thread might have become the biggest source of Pokemon Uranium fan art on the internet now. It's wonderful.

I don't think this really qualifies as fanart.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

Oh no, Uranium's idiocy is contagious. :ohdear:

I get the motivation, in that you don't want your commenters to be trolling the players by giving intentionally bad advice. I mean, you've only to look at your average high-audience-participation Let's Play to see how often that happens. Of course, their policy does assume good faith on the part of the game developers. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Isn't the joke here supposed to be that aussies tend to use "Nah" and "Yeah" rather than no and yes?

IIRC it's not only that, but that they say "nah, yeah" to mean "yes", and "yeah, nah" to mean "no".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

Care to mention any in particular? Not that I don't believe you, but other than AM2R I can't think of any fangames I'd say were great. I'd be interested in playing some.

Streets of Rage Revisited is basically what you'd get if you applied Metal Slug 3 levels of scope creep to Streets of Rage 2/3. All the characters, all the levels, new special moves, a couple of hilariously broken hidden characters (completely optional, thankfully), and they outright copied all the animation frames, timings, damage values, etc. from the original games so it feels exactly correct.

There are plenty of unironically good ROM hacks out there as well, in addition to tons of dross of course. The best ones tend to just be too difficult for general audiences and are otherwise indistinguishable from official content. I'll specifically mention Super Metroid: Eris here, mostly because I'm slowly doing an LP of it for the ROMHackeria thread (mini-OP for SM:E specifically).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Power Bottom posted:

What's the story behind MS3's scope creep? I know pretty much nothing about the behind the scenes development of the series despite being a huge fan.

Sorry, I mostly just meant that Metal Slug 3's scale is ridiculously huge compared to everything before and after it. I don't know anything about the development process except that I dimly recall reading it was the devs' swan song, so they decided to stuff everything they could into it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

the Orb of Zot posted:

A box of dragon dildos (which is somehow a BST 640 legendary)

This made me laugh. I'm not sure if it's the mental image of a box of dildos being a pokemon, or if it's the fact that the stats are ludicrously good, but goddammit this one's funny.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RyuHimora posted:

Is anyone else starting to think that the whole "9 years of development" spiel is bullshit and the team worked on it off and on for maybe two years in totality?

Like I said previously, just because something spent a long time in development doesn't mean it was being actively worked on for that entire period. There have been movies that have been "in development" for multiple decades because they keep having trouble finding writers, directors, actors, etc. interested in working on the project. I've had some woodworking projects "in development" for over a year because I put in a few days of work, put them in the corner, and am waiting until I feel like coming back to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Look up magic numbers

The kinds of people that wrote Uranium are the kinds that would name a constant SEVEN instead of DAYS_IN_WEEK.

• Locked thread