Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

High school is definitely grade school

Grade school typically refers to elementary school, as far as I remember. Could be a US thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pence loves the word miracles

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Need ICP's take on Trump's miracles

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Idiot Kicker posted:

The guy's middle name is Beauregard and I get that he didn't pick it and it's a traditional southern name but here my hand is still doing the jerk off motion

his name is Beauregard because he is named Jefferson Beauregard Sessions, after Jefferson Davis and P.T. Beauregard (CSA General).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WarEternal posted:

Lol at people thinking this Davis thing will matter. All of us know better by now.

E: ^^^ yeah it's like a German naming their kid Hitler Göring.

Adolf Rundstetd Sessions.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From foxnews' website (I was curious on their take):

"The Justice Department said late Wednesday that one of the discussions between Sessions and Sergey Kislyak was an office visit that occurred in Sessions' capacity as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The second conversation took place in a group setting with other ambassadors following a Heritage Foundation speech."

And from the WaPo piece:

"One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race."

So the second, big public meeting isn't really controversial - it's the private meeting that's a concern, correct?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a real chump posted:

didnt reagan literally say he thought he was telling the truth so that made it ok

then nothing happened to him

Reagan had the plausible deniability of being senile

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

The confirmation committee must have known he had probably perjured himself at that point, right? It's such a strong statement about an election completely filled with accusations of Russian shenanigans of every kind.

lol if you think the Democrats actually do anything other than blindly benefit from Trump's incompetence

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a real chump posted:

what if instead of talking they communicated via telepathy

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovzZkf6OFQ&t=55s

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

no one would believe president trump in a C&C cutscene

In a better timeline, Trump bankrolled a continuation of the RA series and acted in its cutscenes instead of becoming President

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Adolf Rundstedt Sessions

Benito Balbo Sessions

Hirohito Tojo Sessions

Francisco Blanco Sessions

Daniel Botha Sessions

Alternative timeline: Josef Beria Sessions

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vladimir Medvedev Sessions

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Brown Menace posted:

youd think the pentagon would be the one thing which trump would be paying attention to

is the pentagon his approval ratings?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
when the gently caress is trump gonna wake up and lash out at the world on twitter

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837638488656920576

someone woke up grumpy today

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

New C-SPAM DF lets play starts SOON. If you want in on the new fortress quote this post.

gently caress yes make me a dwarf please

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

slouch posted:

hey this one happened in my neighboorhood. (dont dox me please)

burgess was really expecting for the turnout to be mostly republican pro-trump supporters. people on my local Indivisible facebook group really pushed hard to have a strong presence at this event, and it looks like it worked. burgess was dodging town halls and constituents for a while. its nice that he couldnt even pull any meaningful support in a wealthy dallas suburb

Sup fellow North Texas goon (I'd guess UNT).

He also didn't announce this poo poo until the 28th, so I couldn't go due to a conflict. Make sure to post in thread and in the Texas thread for the next one, as I wanna make sure to go heckle our moron representative.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress i wish there really was a new world order conspiracy culminating in one world government and the erosion of national sovereignty

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

this.

this plus tons of mass graves

sorry but eroding national sovereignty actually means less mass graves

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

counterpoint: western corporate states

those graves are widely dispersed across the population, not concentrated!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber is still one of my all-time favorite games, because I hate myself and enjoy suffering

This game was the poo poo. I still have the strategy guide and related nintendo powers.

Legend of dragoon was also v good, needs remaster

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

current lineup:

I bet I die again within a season

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

he is truly weird though

trump's insult game and general observations about people are pretty on point

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Posted in the Euro thread - I know it'd be appreciated here:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

The rallies are like, the last thing he has left to sustain his ego. Gonna be real bad when they finally dry up

Will they ever?

Like, maybe decline a bit, but there's a pretty dedicated core that will keep showing up. Trump's ego can rationalize smaller crowds.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Trump's argument is literally im the prez and im the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHN3IJ_j8A

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

should the president be saying break up a federal circuit court.

lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
purely anecdotal but my canadian friend claims to know people who partied with Trudeau, and he reportedly sexed all the young (COLLEGE AGE) ladies

this is a legit source

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 16, 2017

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Ephebophile Truedough

I meant young ladies in the sense of college age girls :(

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

is getting fatter?

is it wrong to hope he gets fatter???

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The other big problem with invading nk is that the USA could lose

naw we would win (eventually) but lol @ the human and economic costs of just defeating the north korean army

huge LOL @ the costs of rebuilding n korea, dealing with refugees, true believer terrorists, remnants of the old army, chinese instability, korean/japanese economic turmoil and fallout...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
north korea isn't gonna do poo poo on its own unless trump does something loving stupid and chooses to start a war with it

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
like what the media and other morons in our government can't ever understand is that eternal war against the USA and imperialism is a key part of north korea's daily regimen of propaganda

saying bad poo poo about the USA/threatening to kill all americans is nothing new and is actually a reassuring measure that everything is status quo in n korea

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Addamere posted:

is there some reason post-ww2 that we can't/won't fight declared, total wars instead of police actions or whatever?

for whatever reason i have it in my head that the only reason conflicts like vietnam and iraq are quagmires is because they are done in half measures for appearances

can someone who feels like writing words address this because i do not even know what to google to learn about it

Total war requires enormous economic and manpower costs, and to conduct total war most powerful and wealthy countries had to resort to years of rationing goods in order to fight it. Also, you need a draft to have enough manpower because volunteers won't be enough. Most democratic countries are nowhere near willing to shoulder the burden of total war unless there's a literal hitler marching across the globe (and we still didn't do poo poo until Japan forced our hand in WW2). Even then we still had an army composed mostly of draftees. (Korea was also mostly draftees, though lots of WW2 holdovers as well)

We like police actions because we can kind of half-assedly try to influence stuff with what we have lying around. Vietnam had a draft but we haven't done one since, and we tried doing Vietnam without a draft and only started drafting once mission creep forced us to in order to save face. Vast majority of our forces were still volunteers.

Why is it mostly post-WW2? Probably has something to do with technological advances making insurgency more feasible/effective, changes in media making human and economic costs more apparent, democratic institutions making it easier for popular resistance to stop wars/drafts/rationing, etc.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoku posted:

north korea's strategy hinges on their ability to launch multiple warheads and intimidate the other two actors (SK and US) into not doing anything

it is a bad strategy, because the US will retaliate, but preemptive nuclear strike is the only real strategy NK has

north korea has everything to lose and nothing to gain by taking any military action against the US, nuclear or otherwise

they are happiest when raging from their hermit kingdom and doing nothing. they periodically lash out to get attention or food if they are feeling insecure about their rule

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duscat posted:

also, a total war would obviously be a nuclear war

that too, but I think the original question was framed to ask why we don't go balls to the wall to say, defeat north korea (pre nukes) or invade iraq or whatever too.

I guess adding to that then - if it would be worth total war, it'd probably be a nuclear exchange too. So any non-nuclear states are viewed as "low stakes" and not worth the enormous costs of total war.

Addamere posted:

thanks for this, do you have any recommended readings on the topic from a popular science level of reading

Not really, but maybe some other posts have better recommendations. Good books on Vietnam would probably be the most enlightening since that was the war that really demonstrated the US' lack of ability/desire to go all in on police actions.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duscat posted:

what would "defeating" north korea even mean?

well if trump is as smart as w bush, it means destroying the regular North Korean army and then being welcomed as liberators in the stable, free, and prosperous ruin that would be leftover

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
id love to see trump just knock over the n korean government and tweet YOUR WELCOME (sic) to the S. Korean president, and then pull out all forces and precipitate the largest humanitarian refugee crisis ever seen

and then lobby for a ban on n korean refugees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fog of War is a p good documentary that reveals a lot about US policy in vietnam and why we did some of the stupid poo poo that we did, so maybe that's a good start too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fog_of_War

• Locked thread