Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oddly enough, I'm thinking instead of getting a switch, why don't I just get a PS4 on the cheap, so i can finally play bloodbourne and nioh?

Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

March is the worst month for me. It's raining and I left my umbrella on the bus on the way to school, and now... my university apparently received a bomb threat?? Ugh!

must be midterms time!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Merry Switchmas, everybody!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

I have no idea why I even got used to inverted Y axis in the first place but despite my best efforts I am forever tainted by it

We should be friends so neither of us has to swap control schemes when passing the controller off

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I have no idea what inverted x axis means but it also doesn't matter what that's set to, I'll always move the camera the wrong direction half the time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

You gotta separate the artist from their work.

I don't really want to a lot of the time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Roman Polanski, and Chinatown is a masterpiece :colbert:

Roman Polanski is a piece of poo poo but to be fair, he made Chinatown before the child sex thing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I have heard of Americans with the first name Reagan a bunch of times and it only now occurred to me that it could be a Ronald Reagan thing. Is that the whole reason why some people in the US are called that?

They probably just really love King Lear

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

smuh posted:

My vacuum cleaner broke down a couple days ago and I was browsing for a fairly expensive and quiet model until I somehow wound up looking at video games. Magically ended up spending my paycheck leftovers on Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata, limited editions of both too. I'm sure vacuuming aint even that important when you think about it

The feeling of freshly vacuumed carpet beneath your toes...not to be underestimated imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

suuma posted:

Yooka-Laylee looks really cool in the retro n64 collect stuff platformer sense of the game but all of the videos I've seen seem to be like 90% open space.

Maybe i'm just misremembering Banjo Kazooie.

Banjo Kazooie yes, but Tooie's levels suffered from that quite a bit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
People don't praise its writing as much as the Paper Marios but Mario RPG has some real top notch lines

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I think Geno looked dumb

He's a naked blue badass

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
But Mallow is the superior OC party member

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this thread has moved way too fast this month, how's everyone been doing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Earth Table posted:

After years of exhaustive research, I have found the ultimate lethal dose of 90s gaming aesthetic on Youtube today, so not half bad!

How are you, Looper?

please drive and game safely, friend

I'm good though! Been playing Ogre Battle 64 since it came out on wii u vc. Strongly tempted to get Zelda but I wanna wait until I have more time to sink into it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My bad hot take: A game that you enjoy is a good game. A game that you don't is a bad game. There's no "objectively good game" or "objectively bad game" lurking in the code, waiting to be uncovered. I know a couple of people who think universally praised games suck rear end, and people who get genuine joy from (what I considered to be) complete black holes of garbage. And they aren't pretending.

Having said that, score games however you want. A review is only useful in the sense that it illuminates and challenges the reader, so if you're good at explaining your thoughts on what works and what doesn't, that's more important than picking the correct types of numbers.

Edit: I've been inoculated against any interest in Mass Effect by the powerful combination of the bad ending of ME3 and the extremely good Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata being released.

you can have subjective tastes while also trying to objectively evaluate and critique something

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

You should laugh at them, those are pretty useless critiques. It still doesn't mean that Doom or UnderTale are "objectively good games".

i think you'll reconsider after reading my marxist analysis of both

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Whether all of the things that you just listed "work" are subjective.

Edit: ok you edited it, and here's my response: I don't want professional reviewers (who are almost universally sheltered doughy white guys) making assumptions about what I'll enjoy. Just write about what they experienced. These are not vacuums or microwaves, you can't just rattle off the stats and the price vs. industry average and say "good buy" or "bad buy"

you seem to be stuck on "i think this is good" when other people are moving toward "i think this is good and here's why"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Whether all of the things that you just listed "work" are subjective.

Edit: ok you edited it, and here's my response: I don't want professional reviewers (who are almost universally sheltered doughy white guys) making assumptions about what I'll enjoy. Just write about what they experienced. These are not vacuums or microwaves, you can't just rattle off the stats and the price vs. industry average and say "good buy" or "bad buy"

okay for real are you suggesting legitimate criticism isn't possible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it would also be nice if games critics the world over would just raise their media literacy to a level approaching decent

who is gaming's roger ebert

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

link your blog?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I agree, but also want to point out you don't need a lot of media literacy to discuss 1-Frame Linking in the context of fighting game mechanics, or how important jungling is in the latest MOBA.

but those are good examples of video game literacy in the context of those genres! i think, i don't actually know what either of them are, which is why i don't feel comfortable discussing those kinds of games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

That's not bizarre, but not what I was talking about. I'm referring to people who say, eg, "Lady Gaga is my guilty pleasure" without meaning "because her music is stupid and terrible and I'm laughing at it".

It's a real thing that happens. I think people should just own what they like. It's kinda sad when people feel like they have to disclaim their enjoyment.

Star Wars Episode 1 is a guilty pleasure for me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it should be illegal to give two games the same acronym

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

If it makes any difference I barely do. Those are terms I had to look up back when I was rolling deep in Street Fighter 4 and Strife so they were on the tip of my tongue.

Here's the thing about this though: you get a hardcore fighting game guy writing reviews, he'll only be writing reviews that are really useful to other hardcore fighting game guys.

I guess what I'm really saying here is that the only way to review and critique games (and indeed all art) is lots of :words:, not numbers. Took a long time to get there but I just don't think numbers and "objectivity" (read: trying to guess what other people will enjoy) is useful. Everyone's thoughts are legitimate, although certainly not equally useful to every individual.

well ideally the fighting game guy expert would also having the writing ability and self-awareness to make his reviews more easily digestible for the layperson. that's why i referenced ebert; even though he absolutely knew his poo poo regarding film all of his reviews are incredibly approachable for the non-cinephile. he was just a (n extremely knowledgeable) dude writing about movies

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

bad post above me guaranteed

*scrolls up* o-oh, phew...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Couple pages back, but what is the importance of Citizen Kane? If there's no shorthand for it, if you know of a cinema discusso post that gets it that'd be a cool link. If not Ill ask in cd.

it was written and directed by someone with a background in theater who'd never made a movie before yet also somehow got carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. Welles did a lot of crazy revolutionary things that we take for granted now, while still making an extremely well crafted movie on top of the experimentation. and, because i can't stop fellating him, Ebert's commentary track for it is what got me into movies

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
soul calibur 2 and super smash bros melee have my ideal single player modes for a fighting game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The fact that sega never made another chao garden game is the loving worst thing they've done

I know right???

this owns btw

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*all these zelda posts*

la la la i can't hear you!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

KH2 was one of the best star fox games since 64

I respectfully disagree

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There's a lot of anime that romanticizes high school, which is fine if a bit wistful. There's also a lot of anime that sexualizes high school girls, and that's weird

That's my opinion, and I hope we can continue this discourse in a reasonable tone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Yarn/clay Kirby...wool Yoshi...paper Mario...c-cardboard Samus?!

Craft store metroid and 2D zelda would be bananas

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There's nothing weird about that av anyway

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Who gets married at 22

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I remember when Nintendo Power would always put Zelda games on their lists of top RPGs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, 20 years ago me must have been ignorant. Can you warp to each star location or something?

The world map is a level select screen

Also the Samus cameo is missable iirc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

One week of March left with seemingly no notable releases left, so what's GotM?

Ogre Battle 64 or Night in the Woods

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Definitely reading that as call of duty wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Truly a next gen vita

• Locked thread