Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm not often happy with 1-0 games, but it's good to see the Caps can grind out a win in a trapfest as well as they can do they run and gun thing. It was the Devils, granted, but they clamped the gently caress down and only really gave up maybe two real chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

"That might be Mason's best save of the season."

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/838225569376419843

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

First Caps game I went to since the home opener and they lose to the loving Stars.

They had their chances, but they got pretty effectively boxed out to the perimeter.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm trying to drink myself into believing that this is a one off fluke loss and not the start of a similar trend like last year before the playoffs.

Well I was encouraged that they were able to capable the Devils and Flyers trapping the gently caress out of them, because you see that a lot more in the playoffs. The The Stars, by contrast, seemed focused on keeping the Caps to the outside where they could only take lovely perimeter shots.

I'm choosing not to read too much into it though. The first goal was Orpik ruining an epic Holtby save, the second was just a fumble by Backstrom (on Swedish heritage night of all nights!), and the third was off a flub by Orlov. Didn't seem like much terribly wrong structurally, at least on defense.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I don't hear any panic. Talk at the Verizon Center yesterday was mostly about whether to buy more playoff tickets in the first or second round or to hold some cash in reserve in the event that they actually make the conference finals.

#regularseasonprivilege

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

So where does Bob's recent stretch put him in the Vezina hunt?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm amazed at what a logjam the battle for the Metro crown has become. Again. Washington was gone not even a week ago, but Pittsburgh is closing with a chunk of their NHL roster dead (because they're the Pens) and Columbus is within striking distance with a largely favorable schedule they've handled mostly as they should to this point the rest of the season. I think the only "hard" games Columbus has left are one each against Washington, Pittsburgh, and Chicago. :suspense:

Plus the Caps just dropped three straight in what appears to be their annual pre-playoffs existential crisis.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

Caps tanking.

Makes sense. Best season they've played in several years, why not pair it with the worst losing streak they've had in years.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Levitate posted:

Never, his days as an elite goal scorer are over. Crosby's both a better player and goal scorer and better playoff performer

RIP Ovechkin, you scored for awhile

Why are you being mean to Ovi?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Lots of the big stars in the NFL and NBA never say anything in interviews either but have personalities thrust upon them. Tom Brady has never said anything interesting in his life.

He endorsed Trump, albeit in uninteresting fashion.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

:siren: The Caps won a game! :siren:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think Alzner is as terrible as a lot of Caps fans do, but he definitely compares unfavorably to almost everyone else on the Caps defense. Hard to say if he'd do better somewhere else. He's kind of slow and he doesn't score for poo poo, but he's not necessarily a liability either. Overall he's probably a perfectly fine second pairing guy, especially if you can pair him with someone to make up for his deficiencies like the Caps did with Carlson and Niskanen . Either way, my guess is that someone will give him way too much money this offseason - especially if the Caps actually go on a decent run this year. Some of the things he's actually good at is stuff people hype in the playoffs like blocking shots, killing penalties, etc.

He's really pretty closely following the Orpik playbook, minus the idiot cross-checks in the crease. Viewed in a vacuum, he's a perfectly serviceable lower pairing guy who just won't help your offense at all. It's once you look at what he's going to make on the open market that he inspires fan ire. At $2.8M he's fine. At $5M+ he's a boat anchor.

e: I don't know that the Caps have rivalries anymore so much as our collective PTSD is triggered by the sight of Pens/Rags jerseys come April.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

It's gonna own when the Blue Jackets win the division and the Penguins beat the Capitals in the first round with half their team injured.

That is precisely what will happen. Caps peaked too early. It's like clockwork.

Oh well, still looking forward to sitting behind the bench for the CBJ game next week.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

JawKnee posted:

just wait for Kawalimus to show up

He was here when they were hot earlier this year.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but he was doomsaying even then.

He was actually somewhat positive, which is why I remember it so distinctly.

Most Caps fans bury their pain in ironic comments about Game 7s, Kawalimus just lives the despair we all feel.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

The Washington Capitals will win the Stanley Cup.

it worked for that one rear end in a top hat last year

I'm down. What's a potential jinx next to a debilitating curse?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens won the cup twice under Obama so don't pin this on us :colbert:.

I am curious to see who won't go to the White House because of Trump. I'm guessing most guys will go though. NHLers are Republicans in general because their limited grasp of politics comes down to taxes = bad.

It would only be appropriate for a team with the likes of Alex Ovechkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dmitri Orlov to be invited to the Trump White House. They probably know a lot of the same people!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 20, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Remember the right wing nutjobs that were after Obama's birth certificate? You are that on the other side of the fence. Those right wing nuts though they were also reasonable. But enough about hockey.

How dare you liken me to a Bruins fan.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Vegas need the 60% figure at the end of the draft or can they wait and massively overpay dudes in FA?

They can overpay Jagr in poker chips. They'll get it back.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I don't care about points at all but I love the three on three overtime and hate the shootout. Get rid of the shootout, make the 3v3 overtime 10 mins, no commercials, and let games end in a tie if need be.

Anything that gives us more 3v3 is good with me.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Krime posted:

We use VUE and really like it. I'm pretty sure the lowest package is $30 but that at least gets you NBC Sports.

During the playoffs they will show some games on MSNBC, too, right? Well, That's part of the VUE's cheapest package as well.

If I get this for the Caps playoff run (instead of doing r/nhlstreams, which is a HUGE pain), it's going to end up breaking my staunch embargo on cable and the passive TV watching it encourages. I guess my wife will be happy.

I'd gladly pay you directly, NHL, why won't you let me? :(

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Forget science. This is magic.

The Pittsburgh Penguins will win the Stanley Cup.

I think the reason it annoyed me last time is that there was no toxx involved. If there are no negative consequences, then you're just spamming poo poo.

OK, the other reason it annoyed me was because it was about the Penguins and TRUE.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pretty good Caps game for me.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ovi chops guys' hands on the backcheck all the time. Of course, he also gets called for it constantly, but still. It just seems like a freak thing that that slash happened to do that much damage.

Then again, after seeing the mustard Crosby put on that one-handed backhander earlier this week, maybe a Crosby slash (especially a two-handed one) just has robo-force.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Did Crosby explode Rielly's testes too?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

grack posted:

They have one player with more than 40 points, no players with more than 17 goals, no goaltending, maybe two good defenseman, a miserable coach and a mind-bogglingly lovely GM. The Ryan O'Reilly trade was awful. They're paying Gabriel Landeskog 5.5M/year, Erik Johnson 6M/year, Carl Sodeberg 4.75M/year and Varlamov 5.9M/year.

Is Landeskog as bad as his numbers? I mean, obviously, he's not a McDavid type who can just carry an offense by himself, but is there any evidence he could come close to deserving his salary as a secondary player on a team with a better system and support?

$5.5M just doesn't seem AWFUL for a guy with a ~60 point ceiling. (That's what we play Brooks Orpik to crosscheck guys into Holtby!)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hopefully the Vegas arena is easier to get to from the strip than it is to go from Miami to Sunrise. Even when I lived in Florida and they were giving out free tickets to anyone with a driver's license, it was like, "Eh, the traffic though..."

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

A sizeable contingent of Jets fans seem to think they'll protect Lowry over Perreault in the expansion draft because 'Lowry is 6'5' which pretty conveniently leaves out the fact that 6'5 Adam Lowry is a far worse hockey player than 5'10 Matthieu Perreault.

Perreault is on fire lately and his advanced statistics indicate he's a legitimate top line winger. I'll be so loving pissed if we gift him to Vegas.

I miss that goofy bastard.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I think Bruce Boudreau is a really good coach but I really just don't know how you leave Ovechkin wide-open 3 times on the PP in his spot. Like...you coached the dude for 5 seasons and literally like half of his goals are from that spot. It's no secret he's going to try to sock a few dingers from the left dot.

That's some Dave Hakstol level coaching up of the penalty kill.

I wasn't even that excited by the hat trick, it came so easily.

The hero of that game was Oshie. It's going to be so different next year if they can't find a guy that can finish like he can, both in the slot, from the circles and in the shootout.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

My, how expectations change in the course of six months. "Just don't be too awful" to "If you don't get out of the first round, it's a letdown".

Caps fans can learn you a thing or two about raising your expectations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Same but Caps not Pens because if this were the case the Pens would win the cup because every time a first time champ has a chance to be crowned, some boring gently caress old guard team wins instead, except that one time the boring gently caress old guard team was the Devils who got beat by the somehow more boring and old Kings

The 2012 Devils were hardly an "old guard" team in the way that the Pens, Hawks and Kings are these days.

quote:

I honestly have none for the Rangers so wherever they land they're probably out in the first round.

This is the correct approach. Even expecting the Caps to lose in the second round — which just about everybody does — is hubris at this point.

Which is not to say that I'm my saving a bonus check for possible conference finals tickets isn't also hubris, I'm just not expecting it to be spent.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 30, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Yes but that doesn't fit my joke or narrative

But when is it ever true? Like... the Canucks in 2011? Do the Lightning count in 2015? I guess if you expand "had a chance to be crowned" to "gets in the playoffs at all" then sure. Doesn't happen in the Cup very often.

Your narrative is dumb. :colbert:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I just realized that the Bruins will have to play Washington in round 1 if things stay as is which, like...you might as well not even make the playoffs if that's the case.

edit: but on the plus side I could maybe go to a game for more money than I'd like spend

Yeah that would still go to seven games.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's more because I like the Bruins and the Capitals and whenever they play each other it's not fun. You'd think it would be because one of my teams is guaranteed to advance, but no.

Also I probably like the Bruins slightly more (like a 55/45 split) and they usually lose to the Caps.

I am the same way with the Caps and Devils except the Devils are garbage now and just show other teams how you turn a game against the Caps into a low-event snoozer that you might win if you get lucky.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I hope you enjoy scootering your way to retirement, Patty. So glad he retired a Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

this is still my favorite Elias play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db2bGQa6oZY

to do that in the loving finals

Also because I was three rows behind Brodeur :cool:

Kuznetsov has practically made a career out of that move. Also who can forget this vicious scrum between Elias and Giroux?

• Locked thread