Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
MLS has 9000 teams now and half of them are called "United"

Lol at this league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Tigren posted:

I saw a big group of Montreal players at the mall today, but I didn't recognize a single one so I just kept walking. They were all wearing Montreal gear head to toe.

Maybe they were looking for better paying jobs

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Cooe doesn't want to tarnish their brand with a lovely expansion team that has 5 fans

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Lol is some cuck MLSJW really taking photos of fans to shame them for saying puto?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

I'm getting very close to writing off this league entirely, and I loving love supporting my poo poo team.

Thats what I did

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I guess we'll see tomorrow now won't we? :colbert:

In a league where player acquisition mechanisms change at least once every goddamn year, things might possibly have changed since 2005 to influence the situation.

I mean, one could say that it's early (it is), or that they lucked out in that the international players and manager they picked out didn't flame out spectacularly, but there's nothing they they are doing that could not have been replicated by Mionnesota, or maybe NYCFC/Orlando (I'm not sure whether TAM was in place or at current levels at that time).

The competitive argument against expanding too quickly is that it dilutes the domestic talent pool. This is true for the other American sports, but soccer is different (though yes, the US/Canadian talent pool is currently loving ankle deep) because:

a) in the short run, there's an effectively limitless supply of international players capable of performing at MLS level, especially via pillaging Central and South American domestic leagues for their best non-Europe-bound players by offering More Regular Paychecks and Slightly Fewer Violent Crimes, and even without trading for slots you can build most of a starting 11 this way, which will generally be enough to Not Be Terrible if you do well at your scouting.

(admittedly the Trump Administration may complicate this plan somewhat)

b) in the long run, spreading the regional footprint of the league improves the talent pool. One of the biggest problems facing youth development in North America is a) not enough academies and youth teams finding players across our gigantic-rear end continent, and b) most of those that exist are poorly funded (mainly because they have to rely on the players/their families for funding) and sharply limited in the players they can filter through (for the same reason). This means that they can't afford good facilities and good coaches to actually teach anything more than kick and chase, and they miss a lot of potentially good players who happen to have chosen the wrong parents or been born in the wrong part of the country.

MLS academies address b) relatively well (though it would also help if American academies could collect training compensation/solidarity from the good players they occasionally develop), and a side benefit of expansion is addressing a) (the actual motivation is, of course, hopes of improving the TV deal.)
The problem is nobody is tuning in to watch the games.TV ratings keep going down.

"For the 2017 season through April 3, which totals 15 games, MLS is averaging 261,667 viewers compared to 284,842 after 11 games during the same time period at the beginning of the 2016 season."

As soon as the kilt wearing freak fans find a new hobby this league is in serious trouble.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Soccer fans, especially members of Supporter's groups, deserve abuse IMO. They are, generally speaking, really embarrassing and hugely annoying.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MLS TV ratings are abysmal

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MLS needs to go out of business

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Seltzer posted:

My point was that being an original franchise most of our supporters came to watch soccer when it was extremely unpopular because they liked it. The newer franchises seem to attract a the type of fans that want to go to games to bang a drum for 90 minutes with their back to the pitch and get attention. As for a "poo poo product" in a "poo poo location" you can make fun of the redbulls all you want but that's just a completely absurd statement. We have crap branding and marketing but to tell me that watching a winning/exciting team play in one of the nicest soccer specific stadiums in the country is poo poo then I want to know what poo poo means to you. As for the location it's easily accessible by rail for like 15 million people and a walk away from very nice restaurants and bars.

Not surprising a PNW fan felt the need to get upset when someone poked at the soccer hispterism that plagues a lot of MLS.
I agree with this. The Timbers were a joy to watch in the USL before all the bandwagon kilt geeks arrived.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Simone Poodoin posted:

Hey guys, get this: those assholes who just want to bang drums and yell on megaphones for 90 minutes are a thing in the rest of the world too, we might have more fights and fewer video game tifos in Latin America but plastics and idiot supporter groups suck here too.
they really can't be compared. One group is supporting the team and the other is supporting themselves.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

the escape goat posted:

...or you could go to Reign matches to support the team and the league, jackass.

the Reign have won the NWSL shield twice in 5 seasons, made it to the final twice, and are well-respected in the league. But yeah, sure, keep saying they put out a lovely product. the only lovely thing about the Reign is that they're forced to play in a garbage stadium that's owned by the local school district, and despite that, their matches are still well-attended.

The quality of play is abysmal. The players are bad at the sport.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

3 teams named United lol at MLS

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Seven FCs.

(in beastie boys voice)
7 FCs and 1 Earthquakes

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

highme posted:

Reposting this from the the Oregoons thread because this is loving hysterical. "Conservative sports radio host", Dino Costa, has been in Portland for 2 weeks on the station that is the official Timbers broadcast partner. Since I don't pay gently caress all attention to sports radio, I missed out on some of this dude's greatest hits. Apparently he claimed that Portland was going to adapt to him, not the other way around. Last weekend was the TA pride tifo and apparently it triggered him.

He goes from this...
https://twitter.com/DINOCOSTARADIO/status/874765468480946176

to this
https://twitter.com/DINOCOSTARADIO/status/875050251115274243

in less than a day.
Who gives a gently caress about Timbers Twitter tard drama

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

El Jebus posted:

It would have a very small black line, way out on the east side.

Funny poo poo for sure

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

whypick1 posted:

That doesn't look like an ethnic slur...

Redskins isn't an ethnic slur either

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Hopefully MLS loses and gets humiliated by FIFA

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of MLS losing things,

http://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

Wow, could not possibly see that MLS is only afloat by bilking billionaires out of overpriced franchise deals, who in turn bilk taxpayers out of money for stadiums due to MLS's insane "you must have a brand new soccer stadium to join MLS" rule. Wonder how long this can last.

drat dont wanna brag but I called it 2 years ago. Looks like I was right as always.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754874&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post454338017

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MLS must be dying because this thread gets like 10 posts per month now

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I like soccer and I want America's soccer league to succeed, ergo I want it to stop doing all the dumb poo poo that's making it fail. I will never understand why this is a controversial opinion.

Me too

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The fact that MLS has survived for 22 seasons shows that what they're doing is working

No it doesn't

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

wicka posted:

The problem is that his rules today aren't actually keeping the league financially sound. They're doing the opposite. They're requiring huge investments in expansion fees and stadium construction in exchange for the privilege of joining a league that doesn't make very much money. The Deadspin article makes a great point - for any of this to work, MLS needs to receive a windfall in the form of a giant TV rights package. That doesn't seem likely.

MLS gets really horrible TV ratings. It is doomed.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

camoseven posted:

Cool go watch and post about another league if you're so sure this poo poo is gonna fail

Nah I'm good why don't you relax bud

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

:siren: Rumor has it :siren: Sacramento is the favorite for MLS expansion by year's end. The other expansion favorite? Well, I hope you like the Miami drama that's been going on for years, because St. Louis will look to replicate it in America's unsexiest city.

Ponzi scheme running low on cash?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Austin 316

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Tank44 posted:

My Sounders tickets in 134 (lower mid-field) went up 28%! Ugh. reply to why they jacked the prices up were "it's market value". Buddy who manages the tickets barely has been able to sell off many games we cant make.

Cancel them. This league is circling the drain and they'll soon run out of gullible ownership groups to milk for expansion $ and will squeeze the fans even more. Why pay more for a markedly worse, watered down product.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Hey lets harass a 12 year old kid
-woke MLS fans

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

gently caress the Trump family?

Seek mental help

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I don't remember the Obama kids being harassed tbh

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

wicka posted:

This shtick is bad

Can you link to some tea party capos tweeting about bringing rude tifos to Sasha's soccer game

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

Except Kaep doesn't do anything objectionable.
He does

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Valeri is genuinely good, I feel bad he is spending his prime years in MLS

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Reminder that Crew Stadium isn’t even twenty god damned years old and Precourt wants public funds in THIS climate to build a stadium. gently caress him. gently caress him especially for doing that to a team with history.

This is your league buddy

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Every MLS supporter group should come out and say they will boycott the league if they allow this.

Emron posted:

My ticket rep just told me my 2018 season tickets are non-refundable, and if I’m financing that I’ll have to pay the full amount even if I cancel lol

Do a credit card dispute

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

camoseven posted:

Wow I'm shocked a that a fat ugly white dude who inherited his money and has no life experience is a terrible team owner, businessman, and person.

What does his race have to do with it?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mods can you change git to gut in the OP thanks

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

That does actually make me wonder which, if any, MLS teams are profitable. Are there any?

No, even the Timbers lose money. But its largely a tax scam

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

TV ratings will literally never go up. Even actually compelling sports have seen ratings decline. MLS is way late to the party.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Attendance numbers include tickets they give away for free and people who dont show up. Fraud numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Uh these MLS academies are garbage though, many kids on the Timbers one quit to play high school soccer because at least the outcome is better. There are multiple players on this list who quit or declined to join it
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/10/meet_oregons_high_school_socce.html

• Locked thread