Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

So we're gonna have to wait almost a month for the DLC costumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Giving the P5 protagonist a code name works much better there since everyone can just call him Joker.

From what I've seen, this is a big part of that.

The tone of this game also has characters not really being as formal with each other, so they often just drop honorifics entirely for interpersonal discussion.

Morgana, though, likes adding -dono to Ann's name, which is a weird quirk. (I really hope they don't change that to them saying "milady" because that's way too fedora-tipping for the character.) Then again, they also use "wagahai" because it's a reference to Natsume Soseki's "I am a cat". There's absolutely no good way to translate the different "I" pronouns to English.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 10, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I was watching someone do a playthrough for the early stages of the game, and since they picked "Safety" difficulty they can't recruit any new persona since hitting an enemy's weaknesses basically kills everything instantly.

What are the main differences between the different difficulty modes?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

I'm not even one of the "Japanese dub is better" people and I think the JP voice acting is loving spectacular. Morgana's voice is genuinely pretty fantastic.

What's kind of fun about being a Japanese speaker is that it helps you appreciate a really good performance even more, and so far the P5 Japanese dub is really good with almost no annoying characters this time around (I'm looking at you Rise and Teddy). Ryuji's voice in particular is nice because it has that sing-songy, somewhat Chiba dialect that softens his edges and keeps him from being as easily categorized as another Junpei/Yosuke clone.

Morgana's pitch is perfect because you can really imagine that is what a cat would sound like with human speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRX6LXDpWs

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Amazon canceled my TYH edition last month when the release date became solidified because I had pre-ordered it so long ago on a card that had become expired/renewed. It didn't allow me to update the payment info and now it's unavailable to order again so that's that. Gonna just get the game off the PSN for my PS4 on release instead of waiting for delivery.

It's not too big a loss for me, though. I already have the art book and soundtrack, and my brother still has his order and doesn't want the bag anyway so hurray for a free gym bag!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Wait we're not getting the If… costume set?! That sucks. Karukosaka's uniforms are snazzy as gently caress, and the remixed track they used is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNag9_NO1CQ

I guess I'll just settle for P2 & Catherine.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 22, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Raxivace posted:

What's the story here?

IIRC the trophy is for getting Rise to say every possible line in battle, which sounds like a loving nightmare.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

8-4 are good but square had the money to throw at them for localization and also got them on the project early enough to do that poo poo. Atlus doesn't have that money or permission, they can't even get a non-PCB studio to do most of their games.

Is PCB cheaper than most?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've now completed a handful of SMT games and Persona 3 + 4 and loved them quite a bit. Preordered Persona 5's TYH edition because why the hell not and been pretty excited for it.

I've kinda been going as blind as possible in it but as launch gets closer I see people talking about how spotty it is and whatnot and it's starting to make me kind of concerned. I never really pushed deeper into it for fear of spoilers but what's the general thought on it from goons that have played it or whatever?

Spotty isn't what I'd call it, especially if you read any of the early previews so far.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Is there a good/quick explanation of the kind of tactical roles the characters play in battle and which ones end up outclassing the others? I've been reading a Japanese strategy wiki, but it takes me a while to translate their character analysis sections.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Re: Makoto's s-hissing sounds, Mitsuru had the same deal and I wonder if they just decided to not bother de-essing the audio because it can get really annoying over time. It was pretty noticeable even in her preview trailer.

The name pronunciation thing is going to drive me nuts with a couple of them, particularly how Sakamoto somehow becomes "S'KAHmuhtoe". But for most people playing who have no familiarity with Japanese, it'll be no problem at all.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

In terms of reviews and scores I just want the game to do well, and reach more people. If that then allows for more content like it to be created, then even better.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

She isn't even a bad character, her personal story is competent and there's nothing wrong with her on writing, but she's just got nothing going for her. She's just a demure ojou-sama with a really boring character that has been done to death in this loving series and we did not need another one. Just imagine Mitsuru and Yukiko's S. Links combined and you have Haru, but she likes plants so I guess that's more than Mitsuru at least.

At least she knows what a hamburger is.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Oh for sure, it'd be better if they did away with them completely, but like, I like the idea behind them a lot rather than the actual gameplay purpose they serve.

In sorta the same vein, the courage options early in P4 where it's like Ask Yukiko For Her Number that couldn't be gotten unless you were on New Game+ was super dumb because they did was go like "Oh....yeah sure here ya go"
which i guess is funny because that's usually the response you get when asking new friends their number but for teenagers you really would feel you needed Rank 5 Courage to ask a girl that

IIRC it is literally impossible to get the top exam score for the first round of midterms without doing New Game+ in P5. So there's still some random bullshit like that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah P4-5 have terrible gender and sexuality politics, it's really one of the big things that mar my love for the series. Unfortunately Japanese pop-culture and whomever took over writing from Satomi Tadashi thinks that gay people are an insane caricature or inherently funny.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Moltrey posted:

this game owns
(localization spoilers)

I really need to find the text to see if that was also in the original. If not holy crap I love the localization team.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

good lord that is the dreamworks-smug-faceiest teacher.

He wears a cravat and talks like a chuuni.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I think it might be safe to say that 2017 might be ps4's strongest year. Especially for exclusives.

Bloodborne probably sold a lot of PS4s. It definitely made me feel less stupid for buying it just for the eventual P5 release at the time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think I'll borrow part of the protagonist name from the manga. Akira 暁 (daybreak/dawn) for the first name, but for his last name I'll go with Fujimori 藤森 (wisteria forest) since it's my favorite flower.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Holy crap this first dungeon is hard to clear in one run. I barely managed it but had to use some of my nicer healing items when my party got hit by Marin Karin.

It was way easier to do this in P4. They definitely want you to have to do these dungeons in stages.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

What's the deal with the black rock and the black kogatana? It says they can transmutate but have no real effects or good stats, I'm guessing I have to do something with them eventually?

Is laundering the grimy, tarnished, gold-tainted armor worth it or just gonna give me low-level stuff that's not even worth selling?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

P5 reminds me quite a bit of P2 when it comes to certain themes and ideas, and kind of goes further with the mass hysteria/hegemony than P4 attempted. The game set up between Igor and Yaldaboeth is really similar to the Philemon/Nyarlathotep conflict. There's also an interesting political undertone about how authoritarian fascism can arrive through democratic means.

In terms of real-world connection:
I have to admit that P5's December is really relatable considering the US elections last year. Even when the crimes are really apparent and outright confessed, the public being completely apathetic to it or remaining entranced by a hollow cult of personality is a striking resemblance to how things are now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I want the next Persona to be in the US just to see how they think high school is here, because playing these games I think high school in Japan is all about hooking up with women and eating tons of burgers that make you smarter and more charming somehow.

It might be difficult since US high school life is not as nearly universal in structure and form as Japan's since our clubs, lifestyles, and educational policies vary wildly from district to district, let alone state or country.

As for a more worldly Persona, I think it'd be interesting if the characters lived their daily lives apart in different countries but perhaps interact and adventure in a shared liminal space, much like how many of us have friends and even relationships internationally. Maybe switch control between the protagonists and have them each specialize in a set of arcana like in P1/2 so they have their own localized s-links.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This would create a problem of having either 3 different blank slate characters or else having a bunch of protagonists whose personalities have the risk of annoying the player or not connecting properly.

I don't think the series can or should ever leave Japan, to be honest. Persona games have always been pretty singularly about Japanese society as it exists contemporarily; while a lot of the themes have a universal appeal, much of what it condemns about society is specifically targeted at Japanese society. In general, all of the games have a tone condemnatory of the generally conformist nature of modern Japan, as well as its lack of value for nature or history. Persona 2 is particularly curious about how oppressive and stifling society is, with gossip being weaponized and ultimately used to end the loving planet. Persona 5 at least tips its hat to this as well, with your main character being crucified for about half the game by relentless, cruel gossip.

Eternal Punishment was the most interesting to me because it was a cast of adults dealing with the very adult situation that they are cogs in giant machines that have become corrupted without their knowing, and they can't seem to establish a place in this world either, with the next generation squeezing from one direction and the older generation squeezing from the other.

By and large I agree with your assessment. I still personally think P2 is still the best overall in terms of story, but P5 has been the best of the recent series in that regard.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DrManiac posted:

I want a persona game that turns into smt 1/3 of the way through. Like, it's kids having super natural adventures until something happens and the world is hosed. Let's see how your relationship with your grandma friend fares during the apocalypse.

Persona 1 and 2 already did that. In 2 the city gets lifted off the earth because the mass hysteria that breaks out because of every rumor becoming true made an alien spacecraft from a wacky conspiracy theory materialize under it right before the rest of the earth was destroyed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd like to see Psio fleshed out a bit as an element, from its description it sounds like it's supposed to work well alongside status ailments, but that leads to another avenue of confusion...

...there are three "families" of status ailment now? And each one needs a unique skill or item to cure? And Psio benefits off one of those ailments but not all of them? And some of the ailments interact with elements like fire and wind but you only learn this if Makoto happens to tell you and if there are other combos she didn't tell me and...

So Psio ends up working just like any other magic, but your Psio user doesn't get any ailment abilities to speak of, and her gun-fu becomes far more effective in the long run. Seems to me that keeping Psio low-damage, or low-accuracy, but add onto a chance to add a mental ailment, or else complement your party member's skill set...

That's actually another complaint overall, it seems like some party members are given better skill loadouts than others. P4 kinda had this problem, which was perhaps overcorrected in Golden, but I'd hate to think I'd have to wait several years to see a remix of this game just to have that issue corrected, it's unfortunate to see it here and now.

Psi works against 'mental' ailments, which are pretty easy to figure out by context, but they only add extra damage in those cases so you might as well just treat it like a new element for most situations. As for Haru not having lots of ailments, that's what you and other characters are for; you can set up the pitch for Haru to hit without having her have to set it up herself in more turns. Honestly I just got through the game with Yusuke, Makoto, and Morgana and never really switching out unless a boss was entirely immune to their moves.

Easier way to think of it: Nuclear works on elemental status effects (burn, frozen, shock), Psi on everything else.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Gorp posted:

So let me ask some specific questions about the final boss, Yaldabaoth. It will be incredibly anal, but as a writer myself I am completely dumbfounded by this character and how he works.

1. If he's a being comprised of the desires of the masses, why did the protagonists need to defeat him at all? Wouldn't it stand to reason that he would simply vanish or destroy himself once public opinion was against the god of public opinions existence? How can he be alive to be shot by Satanael if all he is just the manifested desires of the public at that point? If people wished for the holy grails destruction wouldn't it just destroy itself?

2. When the protagonists are disappearing due to the fact that they aren't recognized by society, what is preventing them from recognizing each other? You mean to tell me that nameless drifters though life are somehow known and continue to exist, but this group of people who are both news criminals AND human beings don't have enough support to stay manifested? Wouldn't the entire world just cease to exist immediately due to the presumed indifference to others?

3. If Yaldabaoth is a god born of looking away from injustice, why does he have such a high sense of justice? A god born of apathy would be apathetic, and reinforce mans desire to look away rather then confront injustice (Ameno Segeri is a perfect example of this). Instead we get a god who names the sins, creates a bunch of angels to enforce a sense of right and wrong, and deems both you and the masses guilty. He then actively confronts the problem, which was never a desire of the public if I understand this correctly.

4.To what level is Yaldabaoth autonomous, and why does he go about his master plan in the dumbest way possible? I assume Yaldaboath took over the velvet room and recruited Joker and Goro out of his own wishes, seeing as how the public has no knowledge of the velvet room or desired competing messiahs. If he wanted to grant the wishes of humanity he could have just fused Momentos and reality from the start, why did he put himself at risk by creating persona users? The public clearly didn't want persona users, so its something that falls solely on Yaldabaoth, which is nuts because it should be the last thing he would want to do. Izanami in P4 wanted to be proved wrong, Yaldabaoth clearly doesn't.

5. Is Japan the center of the universe? The notion of sloth and following societies rules that Yaldabaoth preaches as sinful is basically a symptom of collectivist cultures. He seems to destroy the entire world because Japan acts a certain way due to its culture and values. Assuming for a moment that he actually cares like he claims he does for the majority of the game, why would he take an online poll as definitive proof that mankind deserves destruction? He represents all of mankind's desires right, not just Japanese ones? Hawaii canonically exists, and they seemed pretty hyped about the Phantom Thieves.

6, Maybe Persona 5 is an art game and I'm too stupid to get it, but I have no idea what Yaldabaoth is arguing. Typically the clash between hero and villain is representative of a clashing of ideologies or values. The thesis of the villian and created antithesis of the protagonists do the Hegelian Dialectic and we end up with new wisdom. I have no idea what Yaldabaoths thesis is, even assuming that he is his own entity now completely separate from public opinion.

He seems to be arguing that "Might makes right and I'm a God" behind a thin veil of justice or helping people, and I just don't get what the conflict against him signifies. Up until this point of the game the notion was along the lines of "Don't treat people like objects or they'll get pissed off and rebel against you, eventually ending you", but Yaldabaoth IS the people. Everything about this guy is inherently paradoxical; he shoots you full of lust and then judges you for being lustful. If he really is just an example of the penultimate stupid authority figure than I don't know what to say. Making something completely unreasonable and unjustifiable isn't a great thing to do for a final boss.

I'm going insane over here. Someone send help.

I didn't find it that difficult. Yalda is basically claiming that he has the right to rule over humanity with an essentially authoritarian fascism because society has gotten to the point where people just want someone else to solve all their problems and not have to think about their own complicity in the society they suffer from. Tyrants are sometimes brought about by democratic means, but in this case Yaldster here decided to rig the game in his own favor by actively suppressing information in a weirdly overt way after Shido confessed, as well as screwing up the main character's Velvet Room experience. Considering he is based off of the demiurge, it would kind of make sense that he feels a strong sense of entitlement over humanity and perhaps is willing to skirt the rules in order to regain his station.

As for the characters being unable to validate each other, of they are designated by Yaldaboath to be non-entities, then the cognition from a non-entity does nothing. He essentially directed the rest of society to just fade out anything that was uncomfortable and challenging, creating an epistemological bubble around the country.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Being bossed around by a cat is the most realistic aspect of the game, clearly.

Also man, I thought I was on track to complete the compendium, but forgot that some of the fusions require really specific personae, even though they're not advanced fusions. Also one of the treasure demons didn't show up even though I actively sought them out each dungeon. There was a weird level-jump in the treasure demons for some reason.

Looks like I'll have to figure out how to get the Hope Diamond and Alice in New Game+

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Uh.

Seriously?

Is this your first SMT, because Alice is the special fusion.

It's Nebiros + Belial

I forgot to do it, since I was just trying to methodically do them as I saw the gaps in the compendium, but Alice and some of the others don't show up as blanks and thus escaped my fine-toothed comb.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I was upset that they didn't include Hitokotonushi, I love his design.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Since the Izanagi DLC came with my digital copy, I was able to get Null Phys pretty drat early, well before you get lockdown, so nulling physical moves should be pretty easy to pass on.

I particularly liked putting it on physical attackers so I wouldn't get hosed over by repel or high counter enemies.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ann starts off really good, and her relationship with Shiho has some nice elements, but she largely drops out of the plot and gets overshadowed. I was kind of hoping they'd do a bit more Lisa Silverman-esque stuff where they talk about how isolated and objectified she was as a foreign-looking person living in Japan, but they really just dropped it entirely for a pretty boring s-link that doesn't even reflect much on the idea of the arcana.

Yusuke is pretty relatable for me as an artist, since when you're looking at the world with that mindset, you tend to focus and catalogue things in a completely different way than most people. You're building a library of observations and reference to be used later, which can make you simultaneously appreciate things on a deeper level or miss the forest for the trees and completely miss the point. Also his poses and chatroom interactions are probably some of the best.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

In terms of translation issues, weird grammar aside there's a lot of times where the characters talk like they're browsing a thesaurus, and don't really have a consistent voice because of it, often talking completely differently than their age or education level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Wait, Chihaya's readings don't take time? gently caress.