Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mothmom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Proficiency is less of an issue because once you don't have to go out of your way nearly as often to build it up, especially once you have access to Temperance and Fortune. Besides doesn't the confidant who requires it show up in... October, I think?

For max, yeah, but Yusuke requires Rank 4 Proficiency around the midpoint of his Confidant and he doesn't turn up all that late

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Chie is like someone at Atlus went "what if we did Lisa again but without the stuff that made her interesting" and no one had any complaints

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Only play with canon names; so Akira Kurusu for Japanese voices and Nasty Crimeboy for English voices.

Nasty Crimeboy is an acceptable alternative

But the real answer is Thievey Wonder.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Item Getter posted:

I'm still fairly early in the game (near end of Palace #3 it seems) and I've been very tempted to blow 100,000 yen (basically my whole wallet) on the 3rd tier SP recovery accessory since I have been having a lot of problems with Joker running out of SP during the dungeon. Is it worth it ...?

Get a couple more Death ranks first.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Judgment's kind of a tricky one, because it tracks your ranking but you don't get any benefit from it until you catch up with the timeline.

It's almost like getting something in the future doesn't help in the past. Weird. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Well, see, I could look at the screen and see these things that are clearly mentioned, or I could simultaneously complain about the game holding my hand too much with constant tutorial popups and Morgana AND not holding my hand enough by not giving me large tutorial popups.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nephrite posted:

Aren't you tired? You should probably go to sleep.

Let's not do that today.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think you have to eat the first one.

Nope, Bael is always targettable.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mara's great because it's easy to take him to many logical conclusions. Like, in 2015 or so I made an SMT tabletop thing, ran 1 campaign with it and have been working on fixing it and making it better since it finished. Mara was in it, and I gave him Power Charge, Hell Thrust, Pierce and +Charm because hello, it's Mara.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Boring answer is that Mara is a demon who attempted to corrupt the Buddha with pleasures of the flesh. Our fine friends in Japan took that legend and said "okay, he's a penis chariot."

He's a gigantic dick because Mara is Japanese slang for penis.

He also sometimes doesn't even have the sweet skull death chariot. It wasn't in SMT1, Nocturne, some variations in Imagine and half his appearances here for example.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alder posted:

I would like this but I imagine it'd add a ton of work

I dunno, Tales of Xillia 2 managed it just fine and that game was pretty lazy about everything

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Hmm. Think I'm out of Mementos bosses to confuse. Makes the financial planning a little trickier. If what I'm hearing about Palace 6 is true and you can't make a run for the treasure until the very last day, do you still have to deal with the usual restrictions on hanging out with your party members that whole time?

Well, you need to try to send the calling card first.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rirse posted:

Don't complain. It probably like the really cheap SP refill option in Persona 3 Portable which allows you to go through Tartarus in one sitting instead of multiple days due to the old Tired status being saved for you leave....which half the time later in the game didn't even trigger either.

...Uh, TIred (and Sick) is triggered by number of fights. It scales based on your level and is separate for every character for good measure. At higher levels, it takes more fights to get Tired/Sick. It ends up taking so many fights rather quickly that you have to actively try to get it. It's not that it "didn't trigger;" you just didn't fight enough things for it to happen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

(very endgame)

Alder posted:

I kept looking for Akechi there. Please love Akechi-kun.

Don't date a dead boy. Date a perfectly good living boy instead, like Yusuke.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not with that attitude, you can't

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Considering he tells you that himself outright...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

She also mentions a sister company that is very clearly just straight up prostitution rather than having a veneer of legitimacy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Storm One posted:

Maybe I was doing it wrong this whole time but I only get about 70K per money-wasting-turn?

It scales off the Luck of Joker's active Persona

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm gonna quote this for later

For what it's worth, that's technically wrong because you don't get the stat gains every rank!

Each Confidant that gives stats does it on specific ranks, and by default there's no way of knowing if you're going to get the stat boost or not. Emphasis on by default because I made a list of it for my own convenience:

Ohya (Devil) gives Charm on ranks 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8;
Yoshida (Sun) gives Charm on ranks 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10;
Sojiro (Hierophant) gives Kindness on ranks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7;
Shinya (Tower) gives Kindness on ranks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8;
Iwai (Hanged Man) gives Proficiency on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10;
Takemi (Death) gives Guts on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8;
Hifumi (Star) gives Knowledge on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So It Goes posted:

I think it would’ve been better to not even set up at the beginning that you were caught because of a traitor. then you maybe wouldn’t be as suspicious at akechi joining since as far as you know you were caught in the future as part of Shidos master plan and not cause of a traitor that would obviously be akechi at that point.

Real question here: have you ever read/seen a Lupin story? Like, ever?

It's not a mystery. It's not meant to be a surprise. There's nothing to figure out here. You were told up front, because that's the point

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I mean, sure, if you want. But, the point is you were asking the wrong question, because it's the question you wanted the game to answer and not the one it was posing. It's a Lupin story, and the question isn't "who is the bad guy" because you already know that. It's "how does he get away this time?" and that's the question the game answers. It's a spectacle, not a mystery. Your default persona is literally Arsène Lupin. You live in a cafe named after Maurice Leblanc (the guy who wrote the stories). You are a gentleman Phantom Thief. It could only be less subtle if there was someone after you named Ganimard.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HIJK posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to want Le Twist to be written better and not so easily telegraphed, even the original Lupin stories had suspense elements

It is, when you want "the twist" to be something that is explicitly isn't. The Twist is that everyone already knew Akechi was full of poo poo from literally their first conversation because he mentioned Pancakes. Even Ryuji saw right through it on the spot. And they were all able to keep that under wraps and sit on it for months and months and then bust him when he tried to bust them first. Hence, "who is the bad guy" is not the question being posed and answered. How they get away with it and one-up him is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HIJK posted:

I don't disagree with you on what it is, I just think both aspects could have been done a little better. I figured out that the Thieves were laying a trap for Akechi when Joker had his first white-out in the interrogation room.

Ah, yeah, that's definitely fair. That part was too obvious for all the wrong reasons, because of when it started and all. Even if someone didn't figure it out relatively quickly then, that it always happened to conveniently obscure information around the plan and nothing else would've made it especially blatant.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, he has this great, awful suit and hat that he wears occasionally.

IcePhoenix posted:

Where does Zenigata factor into this?

About 3 sequels generations in the future.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

You can totally just dunk on Akechi every chance you get and it's deserved and great. Troll him online. :colbert:

Same with Nishima, who deserves it even more.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Always try to beat a palace in one day when possible.

There's a couple reasons for this one in particular. As you've learned from Kamoshida's palace, beating it in one day is the dungeon run but the full palace is a minimum of three days, since the calling card takes a day and then the next day is the boss fight.

But, there's a catch here. If you beat the dungeon and make it to the treasure, then you cannot do Confidant scenes with the other Thieves (Ryuji and Ann) until you send the calling card. And as a secondary catch, when there's a week until the deadline for the Palace you can't hang out with them at all if you haven't beaten the boss fight. Yeah, it's pretty mean like that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fortunately, you don't need Max Proficiency to open a door.

You need it at rank 4 :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact the game seems to think that people like Morgana is probably it’s biggest flaw. gently caress that douchebag cat.

I'm more irked by how Morgana ends up being the straight-up most competent navigator in the series so far by being able to fight and give intel at the same time.

Futaba's... fine, with her buffs and all, but still a blatant step back at that point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, can someone please tell me why there’s apparently a P5 dance game coming out? That’s... bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrYnZ7ZxRe4

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The difference between Teddie and Morgana on that front is that Teddie is probably pansexual. Morgana is merely Annsexual.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

In Portable, the dog is a social link and is infinitely better than the non-Portable version of the same link.

He is a Good Boy and should always be your best friend.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh yeah and if you hang out on days when you just get SLink points, but no rank up, he gives you a random item and its pretty much always something useful or that's annoying to get otherwise. Got, uh, arguably too many Lucky Charms from Koromaru really but hey.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also, yeah I don't like how Yusuke's schtick is useless against bosses and I'm not sure why you can't crit them.

Because they're immune to Knock Down, since it kinda sorta counts as an ailment... sort of... so it's easier to just remove crits, I guess. Which is weird since there's been stuff before that could be critted but was immune to Knock Down specifically but whatever.

They somehow missed the Executive Director, though; that one can be critted. Since, I guess, he doesn't count as the actual boss of that fight.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

For Persona 1, PeaceDiner did an LP if you're fine with that. It didn't finish overall, but did get through the SEBEC route at least (which is the "main" storyline). He just sorta stopped working on it midway through the Snow Queen route. It was pretty dang good, and I'd probably recommend it if you don't wanna deal with playing it yourself since it can definitely show its age in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

did P3 have a quick'n'easy way to rake up ridiculous cash too?

Golden Hand coins, a whole slew of other items that exist just to be sold, chests in Tartarus give a ton more Yen than you'll ever need, Suit of Coins minor arcana in Shuffle Time, everything being pretty drat cheap (except the lategame compendium on Hard)...

Oh and Portable straight up doubled the selling prices for a whole buncha poo poo for good measure. :v: