Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

But I think Atlus is right to just stick the senpai in there english or no english. I don't think there's a good english equivalent that would flow better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In the Australian dub they say "mate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Translation, spoilers, and canon: the three kleshas from which all suffering originates.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm glad to hear it. The idea of playing according to a guide is totally abhorrent to me so Persona 4 was a nice balance.
I'm very upset at the greedy devs dumbing it down for the casuals. Please look forward to my romhack where it's impossible to maximise everything in one run, and impossible to use a guide because everything is randomised with a seed that's fixed at the start of the game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Stop asking for it, you're not getting it. It's a step forward they even let you date older women, let alone have adults mean anything in the cast. Even some people would debate if that were a step forward.
It's me. I'm the one who's not on board with secondary school students dating adults. It wasn't okay in Sailor Moon and it's not okay now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

to be fair mamoru's 17, he skipped a grade or two
I've been owned for my lack of Sailor Moon knowledge. Can you let it slide? It's a funnier joke if we pretend I was right.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The last Persona game will be set where it all began: Switzerland, the mythical homeland of Carl Jung.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

england would also be good because then we could get native japanese speakers doing VO for native english speakers which is always a treat
What if it's recorded only in English by native English speakers, and there's no Japanese VO at all? People can't whinge about the dub if there was never a Japanese version to begin with, right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Norns posted:

Why is costume dlc 20 bucks more than what I'm paying for the actual game?
Because games have gotten more and more expensive to make over time, and everyone would flip their poo poo if the MSRP went up by another 5 or 10 USD (or local equivalent). Prices in the US haven't even kept up with inflation.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 23, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Neither have wages, so thank God for that.
Well, right. There's more to it than that, of course. Forgive the simplification.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have to say I wasn't expecting to see a review of this game in the Guardian.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
So they do. I don't usually see them in the Guardian Australia email digest.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

90% of the female links are dateable.
This seems like a good time to mention that I'm unironically mad about this game's gender politics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

also not looking forward to all the hot takes about trump wrt this game, especially when so much of it is just copy/pasted from japanese headlines
2015 in the Atlus offices. Two team members are discussing the plans for an international release. One casually says to the other: "I hope our social commentary will resonate with foreigners." Somewhere, a finger on a monkey's paw curls shut.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's more to the game than that. It's not such a poor story that it falls apart just because you know the answer to the mystery ahead of time.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Arist posted:

I forgot about Berseria's myriad typos
They look more like speech-to-text errors than typos. It's very strange.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

The dub shits the bed after September

Makoto is suddenly arguing with some robot and there's some bullshit about hacking and towers that has nothing to do with the story
The photocopier at the recording studio was on the fritz. It was a terrible accident. Please try to be a little more sensitive toward the victims of the Great Script Shuffle of 2016.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Why does the insignia on Makoto's collar say "BJ" on it?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Of course it's a tarot thing. I should have guessed.

That's a much better answer than the guy who tried to tell me it stands for "Shujin".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Where I live they're literally not selling any edition that isn't the steelbook edition :australia:
I ordered an American collector's edition from Hong Kong. Ask me anything.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Katagiri Yatou 「硬桐蛇塔」

It includes the characters for "Solid" and "Snake" and the given name can also mean "bandit"

High level punnage
One two three four
I declare a pun war

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I will design and implement a random anime character name generator just for this purpose, because it will be faster and easier than thinking of one on my own.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm not spending an extra one hundred Australian dollars on a digital copy just so I don't have to wait for shipping.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

japan's liberal democratic party has been in power since 1955, minus a couple of brief two-year stints. despite the name, they're pretty right wing - not extremists, just kinda close-minded and lovely. anti-gay marriage, hate koreans, etc. Imagine a middle of the road republican in his 60s and you've basically got the idea. So there's a lot of political and cultural ennui. The game is coached in that pretty heavily.
Do you happen to know what the voter turnout tends to be like? I've been told a number by someone I tend to trust, but he didn't mention a source.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

54.7% as of the most recent upper house election. They recently lowered the voting age to 18 (from 20) in an attempt to increase turnout.

For comparison, the turnout for the 2016 US presidential elections was about 59-60% percent.
That's much higher than the number I was given, or at least my memory of the number I was given, so that's mildly reassuring.

I find it funny that there was a record number of early voters. More people have started doing that in Australia, too. What could it mean?? It must be those millennials, always in a rush to do everything as soon as possible.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ntan1 posted:

i dunno about all of you but shibuya station looks exactly like it does IRL and the Ginza line is loving easy to find.
I agree with the first half of this statement.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Only in the game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If they were smart, those are assets that aren't used near the start of the game, and you can start playing without them. I can't vouch for whether or not they were smart.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Link to that article

doing two genders is a loving lot, but lmao at the idea that Persona 4 NEEDED to have a boy there
They're right that giving the player a choice would have been a pretty untenable increase in scope. That's why I think Persona 5 should have been a made for a female protagonist only.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

a persona game with an exclusively female protagonist would be cool, since the coolest parts of the female route in p3p were junpei getting pissy because a girl was going to be bossing him around, and then later on when he gets worried about guys creeping on you in his s. link, or you being out at like 5 in the morning play with cats. that stuff felt kind of honest and interesting in a way that humanized a lot of the cast.
Right? I always find it disappointing when heavily character-focused games let the player choose a male protagonist, because it makes it really hard for them to do anything that you can or would or should only do in a story about a woman. Doing it properly like P3P does requires a massive rewrite.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

The game's bad, I can't even date the lawyer woman
Let's be real, she's way out of Joker's league.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

What are you saying about the other adult women
Look, I'm not here to tell anyone how to live their life. All I'm saying is: if you're a high school student with a criminal record, falsely accused or not, you might want to think twice before you date any adult who would have you as their boyfriend.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Perfect.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

enojy posted:

Oh alright, I didn't even know this was a thing. I took Japanese 101 as my required foreign language credit in college and that's it; they basically told us "no emphasis on syllables ever" and I just figured that went for all of Japan. That makes the weird name pronunciation more tolerable.
That'll happen. That's one of those lies that people like to tell beginners for some reason, like when they tell you that the た form of verbs and adjectives signifies past tense.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I still have this in my head - what's the actual intent again?
It's the perfect aspect. I assume the reason they don't just teach people that to begin with is that most native English speakers without any other linguistic training don't know what it means.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm getting vibes of a Seven Deadly Sins theme for the main dungeons just from seeing the setup for Madarame... how on-the-money am I?
People like to say so, but I haven't seen a convincing argument that it's not just a result of having a good variety of antagonists.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

I mean, Kamoshida's boss form is literally Asmodeus, the demon prince of lust. I haven't finished the second palace yet, but if the boss is Mammon, it's a pretty safe bet.
I honestly don't remember if they follow a pattern like that, but if they do it's enough of a thematic stretch that I didn't notice that was what they were going for.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

It is exactly that. The boss he named is one of the bosses in the game.
If that's true and happens consistently throughout the game, I don't think it's a good fit. More on that later.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

The third target is more of a start-up on how the group actually functions together, because Makoto is the co-leader of the group and basically is the mom. In more ways than one.
Makoto is the secret real main character. Queen rules, Joker drools.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I take it that leaving the top button of your shirt done up outside school is a delinquent thing, like wearing a really long skirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, Atlus just announced that the game has shipped 1.5 million copies worldwide, so it seems to be doing okay I guess.