Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Wow, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very impressed. Your game's always so fast, so fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Fuckin' Phantom Hipsters with your homemade artisanal espresso lattes. Just buy your coffee from a vending machine like normal people.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm gonna send you like five long text mesage chains before the month is out about how we can't be sure I'll be fine.

I mean I probably will be but WHAT IF???
Have you considered celibacy?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

fadam posted:

I've never really played a Persona game before, how badly can I gently caress my poo poo up if I don't follow a guide?
You'll be fine. It's nearly impossible to get yourself into an unwinnable state.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Dungeon 4 doesn't either.

I actually appreciated the break in Dungeon 2, meant I could be a lot more lax about my SP usage. I actually wish all of them had mid-breaks like that, but obviously balance the S.Links around it.
They're already balanced around dungeons taking multiple days. You have to beat the curve to finish them all on a fresh save.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 8, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Please don't date your teacher. And don't do it in the game, either.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Arist posted:

glad I committed to Makoto then

was gonna go for Futaba originally but the context of her relationship with you kind of made me less inclined to go for her
Good taste on all three accounts.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's still pretty silly, because it's not like anyone else in the party dies for real if they're knocked out in battle.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

well they live in japan 2017
It's good to speak out against homophobia, but don't then turn around and lump together 120 million people and talk poo poo about them all in the same breath. It doesn't help anything.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

does the story become interesting at some point, i'm mid-June and it feels pretty aimless still
I'll get to the point in a minute, Ms. Niijima. You asked me not to leave anything out.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

"super salty" thanks localization team. Someone knows their audience.
Japanese Futaba has a running gag that's a reference to some anime nerd meme that doesn't work in English, and I'm very excited to see how the hell they got themselves out of that one.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wanna say they were called blazers because they were made out of hemp, but I don't want to miss out on that knowledge boost.
420 wear a uniform every day

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I see Akihiko has yet to grasp the real question to be asked.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

here's the only fanart you need:

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I support this line of thinking.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

i want to romance sadayo because she has good hair and just wants to get paid, which is the kind of initiative i like in a girl

edit: also with the engine and stuff hammered out I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly quick turnaround on a P6. The director of P3-P5 is working on a new fantasy RPG now and brought some of the Persona staff with him to that project, but they could get some fresh blood in.
Part of P5 is one of the best life sim games that's ever been made, and I'd really like to see them try making a game that was nothing but that, even more than Persona 6.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

If there was a 33% chance that any given night of sleep would get ruined by some kind of long-nosed prison troll and two children I'd probably take it more seriously too.
But enough about my family life.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The game probably could have stood to have a couple less dungeons in general, really, but considering how many different balls it has to juggle in terms of pace and tuning, it's pretty impressive that it works as well as it does.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, having a dedicated Navigator at all at that point feels like a step-back. Morgana can pull double-duty and he doesn't even have a really cool UFO!

What doesn't help is with how each game puts the navigator recruit further and further in, it seems less and less likely to occur at face value. Fuuka was the second real Full Moon plot beat, Rise was the start of the midgame and now Futaba is approaching the end of it. I genuinely expect in a hypothetical P6 the "upgraded" navigator will be the last party member you get since that's the only way they can be a later addition now.
I wonder what it would be like if the navigator was a full party member that you could control directly, but they didn't have a physical presence on the battlefield.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I'm in your face and I'm here it seee iiit throuuughhh~
Mods, please change my name to "a robot ai".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yusuke's baton pass bonus skills are nutty as hell. If I pass off to him he can one-shot things from full health.
I'm sad that I had all these jokes about touching Yusuke's baton lined up, and it turns out they don't work with the English version.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Terper posted:

A HEARTBEAT FOR A TIN MAN
oasis in a singed land

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

From GameFAQs:

Safe - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0 - can't switch difficulty if this selected any time
Easy - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Merciless (DLC) - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4 - Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled
Merciless is meant for NG+, for the record. I don't think it stops you from using it on your first run, but I really don't recommend it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"Life Will Change -instrumental version-" is the name it's given on the OST. I dunno where that other one comes from.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Arist posted:

Yeah idk either but I've seen it in multiple places
It sounds like something that was translated from Japanese, and Meguro uses what I assume is the same phrase in his commentary in the liner notes. I imagine it's a working title, or maybe something someone cooked up to conceal that there's a non-instrumental version.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TheFireMagi posted:

I would rather have Labrys show up out of nowhere, if anyone.
Oh right. I almost forgot this is a setting with magic robots in it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I unironically want to spend the rest of my life iterating on designs for the perfect Persona game. That's my story. Thank you for listening.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

the most unrealistic part of this game is that ryuji makes a fist of the north star joke and all of these 2017 teenagers pick up on it
That's 20XX, thank you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

CAN SOMEONE IN THIS THREAD EXPLAIN TO ME THE CHRONOLOGICAL WORKINGS OF SAE IN THE FUTURE MAKING AN S. LINK WITH YOU THAT AFFECTS THE PERSONAS YOU FUSE IN THE PAST
Leave it to a lawyer to figure out how to exploit a loophole in the space-time continuum.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

The Sojiro rank that requires Kindness 5 to initiate gives you Kindness at the end of the cutscene.

I'm beginning to wonder if they hosed up some of the stat requirements by accident or something.
My assumption is that they were messing around with the stat requirements and rewards right up until the end of development, and a few inconsistencies slipped through. Weird that they didn't patch it, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

this took me actual MINUTES in photoshop. minutes!
Get off my dick, Morgana. It's barely even past midnight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

She's near the faculty office on the third floor.
As a barbaric and uncivilised Australian, the idea of a school building having three whole floors is consistently mind-boggling to me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The rooms being named 3-X on floor 1 and 1-X on floor 3 bothered my US sensibilities to an extreme degree
Is that not the names of the classes the rooms belong to?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

It is but I'm used to floors on floor 1 being 1XX, floor 2 being 2XX, etc everywhere I've been
Oh, right. That's certainly more elegant. Obviously, the only solution is to put every classroom on the same-numbered floor. I concede that this means Japanese primary schools would need six floors.

True story: the first experience of international culture clash that I can remember is asking my mum why the kids on the Simpsons don't wear school uniforms.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I boot Persona 5 up and before I even get to the title screen it tells me to "press start". What? That is absolute nonsense. Why didn't the box have this disclaimer and requirement on it when I purchased it? Why wasn't there some sort of warning that I had to agree to this unheard of requirement before I could play the game?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

ive heard in japan its illegal to have a real person in your game without their permission unless they're so ancient that nobody cares. even if you made it, like, ahinzo sbe, mrime-pinister of pajan it'd still count. i don't actually know if that's true, though, those kinds of warnings might just be a cultural thing.
It's definitely not just a Japanese thing, but they're usually in the credits, rather than being presented upfront.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Cue the 'actually the age of consent in japan...' crew.
A little late, but I want to add to this for any of those age-of-consent rules lawyers who might be reading. If you genuinely don't know why people make fun of you for this, and don't want to ask in case people get the wrong impression (which they might), I'll tell you: there's a world of difference between what's technically not illegal and what's actually okay, and it's genuinely pretty insulting to people who happen to live in places with a lower age of consent to suggest that we think they're the same thing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

epenthesis posted:

I would actually be far more pissed off by finishing with 21/22 arcana than by having to spend another day of my life redoing this poo poo, so yes, I do.

I can leave the trophies for another playthrough but the links are not optional for me. Not even once.
The more I see comments like this, the more I think it would have been a good idea to make it impossible to finish every link in a single run, so people didn't do that to themselves.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If I ever get to actually play this video game, I'm calling my gang "SEIZE".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Joker actually sounds charismatic and has a booming voice in JP whereas he sounds like a generic guy in English, so yeah. Most of the dub is fine though.
Pretty much all I remember from the Japanese VO is Joker telling Shadows to show him their true form, and Futaba telling Morgana to aim properly. If 50% of the lines I remember are his, I guess that must mean it was a good performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Kotaku is really loving retarded and you shouldn't really waste any neurons on their drivel.

Atlus themselves even said the game was gonna have a lot of heavy japanese culture, a few of the other games have also had a number of heavy Japan culture stuff as well, no idea why its a problem now, maybe if it had been obscure meme questions they'd be praising it to the hills.
No, you don't understand. This Japanese game can't have Japanese facts in it. What if it makes Americans feel stupid?