Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

boy are my arms tired posted:

Obelisk is where you fight dumuzid, right? That's revolutionary etude iirc

No, Obelisk is one of the Babel stages. It's completely separate, Dumuzid is fought in Empireo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Luna Was Here posted:

what if I have people in different costumes? like Morgana in the Raidou set, Anne in the P4 set, etc. Will it randomize the music or will I only get the additional music if everyone is in the matching costume?

MC outfit decides music, you can mix and match the rest and not worry about it, but you should hope the MC has an outfit you like if you want his music because keeping him as a thief is just gonna keep the main battle theme.

Norns posted:

Why is costume dlc 20 bucks more than what I'm paying for the actual game?

Because Atlus learned what they could do with DLC as of Arena.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who the gently caress is GM

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 5's tutorial is not Persona 4's, tutorial, you get to do stuff. The problem with P5's tutorial is you can't skip it and it's incredibly handholdy, outright withholding mechanics from you until the game feels you're ready to use them. Hell, you don't even get stealth for like four hours in, it's pretty dumb. You also can't skip them on multiple playthroughs regardless of difficulty which is annoying as poo poo.

Like you are gonna spend a lot of time looking at dialogue and characters, but you are gonna get to break it up at least.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sooo.. Make a separate loving save after the looooooong boring intros for when you replay?

Yeah, lemme tell you how much I don't want to keep my progress on the compendium or get the secret bosses because Atlus can't give you a feature that skips you to a certain point in the game and save you some time. Like it ain't too bad because cutscene skip is really fast and a good portion of the game's opening cutscenes are event cutscenes that can be outright skipped, but it's still annoying as poo poo to get through.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe they don't have their name yet by that point.

Uh, the game literally opens teaching you about every mechanic and then pulls through a lengthy tutorial to re-explain all of the mechanics and it only gives you stealth halfway through the first dungeon, not after you decide to be the Phantom Thieves.

Ineffiable posted:

Persona 5 isn't going to be a perfect game for everyone but it's gonna be really enjoyable.

It's a loving great game, but yeah. The game is not gonna be everything you want it to be. When it's good though, oh my god it's so loving good and that's more often than not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

But what if it is Baal, what then

What if it is everything I want it to be huh

Congrats, my dude, I hope it's everything you want it to be and more.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Kindly stop using so many f-bombs

what the frick

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dryzen posted:

gently caress you baal

Motto posted:

gently caress you beef chief

I can't believe the assault on my character in this thread

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are already guides

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

No wonder Baal likes Goro Fuckman so much

He is the best fuckboy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Festival

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nier had a shitton of stuff to translate, the difference is Nier has the backing of a company with a shitton of money that can afford a localization side by side with the development of the game whereas Atlus USA is a significantly smaller company and is beholden to their Japanese branch on what they can or can't do and more often than not the Japanese branch doesn't let them do localization alongside development for a number of reasons that kinda suck. Not that Square isn't also kept under that sort of stuff, but poo poo like Nier and FF more often than not are considered pretty high priority which is why poo poo like that gets dropped on worldwide releases. It's why people saying poo poo like P5 getting a worldwide release was crazy, not even just the sheer number of dialogue and text, but the allowances they are given, multitude of other projects they were already working on at the time, and that the English localization had nothing being said about it ever with the exception of like Morgana's voice until like a month after the game came out in Japan.

Hace posted:

thread theme: gently caress baal

I welcome all takers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
8-4 are good but square had the money to throw at them for localization and also got them on the project early enough to do that poo poo. Atlus doesn't have that money or permission, they can't even get a non-PCB studio to do most of their games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
8-4 also did Revengeance and many other good platinum games, god bless them

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LeSquide posted:

So, what are those reasons that kinda suck?

P4A and the Ultimax are the only games that got concurrent localizations alongside the development of the games and dudes at Atlus USA managed to convince them of that so it kept parity with the competitive scene the game would have. Even then those games were delayed from worldwide release so japanese people didn't pull the games from America since Japanese games at retail costed a decent amount more than US ones. Ultimax's English script was actually in the files of the JP version of the game and the dub was accessible in the game as well. It's weird with P4A because while it did get a concurrent localization it also got slapped with the region-block which makes it strange they still kept it at like a two-week difference compared to Ultimax's entire month. P3 and P4 and such were definitely the results of the games being more niche at the time. P5 I already gave some reasons for since a lot of the team was already working on other localizations, but also P5's development got caught in a snag due to Atlus' weird standing for a good year where it was swapping owners from Index to Sega. There's no concrete thing that kept up P5's localization, but there's a lot of outside factors that make it very clear it was outside of Atlus USA's control and more in the hands of what was happening in the business at the time and possibly some decisions also made by the Japanese branch. Another game that made me think a lot of the localization calls in general are being made by the JP branch is P2 Eternal Punishment's PSP port not being doable because they are just outright not able to. They said in an interview on the PSBlog they are literally unable to do it for reasons they could not say which makes one assume there's some red tape holding them up from doing it and I doubt it's any sort of licensing issue.

Sorry for all of the words at once, but I wanted to try to cover everything I had been reading up on this stuff and not just try to make it seem like any of it is baseless.

enojy posted:

Oh, did 8-4 translate the new Nier? Aight, I'll go buy that before it goes on deep sale. Those dudes and girl(s?) are cool.

They also localized old Nier, iirc and Drakengard 3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not entirely certain what the circumstances behind them being so PCB focused are, but they've had them since Eternal Punishment and Keith Arem has done ADR work for all of the main games while his wife Valerie did all of the spinoffs and also Catherine. It's more than likely a stick with what you know thing at this point. They have used Cup of Tea for Devil Survivor 2 though which was a great dub. PCB's not exactly a no name company though, they do big freakin' games and turn out some great stuff too. Idk what the deal is with some of their more recent productions like Zero Time Dilemma, 999, or even Dancing All Night sound pretty rear end. I'm a big voice acting dork and I don't even like how the P5 dub sounds so far, which is weird because this is the same studio that did the Titanfall and Saint's Row voices and those are amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She said on her twitter it was scheduling conflicts that kept her from doing Dancing All Night.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's the most in demand female va for video games right now, that's pretty much to be expected.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matt Mercer somehow finds a way to do every Triple A game, non-union game, anime, and still run a pretty successful internet series where he plays D&D. I dunno how that fuckin dude finds time to do anything, but he's always in something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lets hang out posted:

I played PERSONA 5 and it's bad

Same

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As the resident P5 hater, ama

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zore posted:

How is the cast anyways? Like how would people rate them in comparison to P3 or P4's cast?

Like do they actually gel or is it a group of hateful misfits who consciously block each other out?

I like them more than the P5 cast. They're a rag tag group of societal outcasts in one way or another and come together as friends and a unit. Even the main character feels like an actual character in this game even though he doesn't talk much, mostly due to his more theatrical nature. I mean it's up to you I guess, but I can't think of a reason why anyone would like dislike the cast over something like P3's or P4's cast other than personal preference.

Moltrey posted:

tell me about goro cause he's far away my favorite boy

Goro is the most popular loving character in the game, I ain't gotta tell you poo poo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hitler is not the final boss, sorry those of you waiting for his return

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

Is the Mementos dungeon music really a five second loop

Mementos is loving bad and I hate that it's in the game at all

It is seriously one of the lower points of the game

But yes here is the music, it drones on forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPHCZv4kPM

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 27, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The music in the game is really good for the most part, but it seriously needed more tracks for important boss fights and Mementos needs more music because after the first visit you won't ever want to hear the music again

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is a good thread to poo poo post in then

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The DLC tracks are combat exclusive, you do not get them outside of that. When I was burning through Mementos I would just put the drat things on auto attack and watch YouTube videos or something. It is seriously the most unfun thing in the game and the fact that it's so critical to both main and side content is a huge drag.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a randomly generated dungeon that locks after specific points in the story so it is the same thing as Tartarus, effectively.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Item Getter posted:

Tartarus is tolerable but it must suck in comparison when there are actual seemingly good dungeons in the game now.
I assume it's a lot smaller.

I would rather the two dungeons I don't like in this game than Mementos, yes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first character poll they did for P5 after the game came out in japan, Goro won by a god drat landslide. He even beat out the MC who usually win these polls.

Lakbay posted:

Can I fuse Yoshitsune and spam Hassou Tobi???

They literally did not fix how fuckin busted Yoshitsune is

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idr Yukiko placing higher than chie but idr any polls on P4 that weren't like the one that came out after Golden came out and the MC and Yosuke were at the top

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harlock posted:

Goro/Yusuke/Makoto party

only the best boys and girls

A man of fine taste, but a Ryuji would be just as good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

im sad Ann apparently falls behind cause it'd just be Ann/Makoto/Goro for me

maybe it'll be better than P4 tho where I swapped in Kanji for Chie and literally never used Teddie or Naoto

I can't remember my P3 team but I dont think I ever swapped out Mitsuru either

Fwiw the most worthless chars in P5 (Ann/Haru, basically) are still more useful than the most worthless P3 or P4 chars, in gameplay.

Tae posted:

Can you just keep Morgan as the operator?

Morgana and Futaba do double duty after she joins, Idk what your hate boner for her is though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You pick, a lot of the Golden changes made it into here

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Dryzen content is very poor, much like Dryzen himself

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

my buddy Superfly posted:

How does Dryzen run on the ps3? I'm not interested at all in spending 300 bucks on just a shinier dryzen.

Fine, but not as good as the Ergstation 4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neeksy posted:

Is there a good/quick explanation of the kind of tactical roles the characters play in battle and which ones end up outclassing the others? I've been reading a Japanese strategy wiki, but it takes me a while to translate their character analysis sections.

Ryuji - Physical DPS with attack buffs, never is bad in the game ever due to his insane HP Pool and how easy it is to replenish that. Becomes one of the best characters late game when he gets some of his dumber abilities. His shotgun also does a shitton of damage and is one of the few worth using outside of hitting weakpoints. He's basically Chie mixed with Kanji.
Morgana - Healer mixed with Magic attacks, favors more on the former, but his latter is also quite solid. He gets two physical attacks, but both have high crit chances and eat very little HP and his SP Pool is probably the biggest in the game. He's probably the best teammate at any point in the game.
Ann - Magic DPS combined with status ailments, favors hard on the former. Her status ailments are alright, but not really amazing due to how much you would need to waste skill slots on them when really you're better off building her for magic damage. Her healing drops off quickly and she is made of paper. SP is also not as easily refundable a resource as HP, so she falls pretty hard because her niche is already accomplished by teammates with more generalized elements that don't need a supply of items to keep themselves up to snuff. Her gun also fires at random targets which makes it very unreliable against any group that has a demon strong against guns. She's fine early game, but late game there are plenty of better options.
Yusuke - Physical DPS, more crit-based than Ryuji. He keeps up very well with Ryuji and has speed buffs and due to most of his physical attacks accruing more hits he has more opportunities to exploit critical chances than most other characters leading to more Baton Pass shenanigans. He also has counters that you can build for if you want to make him untouchable, he is made of paper too though so keep in mind he can die pretty fast if he gets hit too much. He loses to Ryuji in damage near endgame due to his lack of Power Charge, but he's still a very solid character all around.
Makoto - Jack-of-all-trades, good at all of them. Decent number of physical attacks with solid damage, decent magic damage on her Nuclear attacks which have advantage against a lot of status ailments, she has a full team full hp heal making her an acceptable substitute for Morgana's heals if you aren't using him, and she gets a severe Nuclear attack near the end of the game which makes her damage even better. The only problem with her is she lacks the SP pool to make her final Nuclear ability more potent, otherwise you can slot her on pretty much any team and she will be useful in some way.
Haru - Reflector lady and ailment debuffer. Her uses are very niche compared to everyone else. Her single target barriers aren't amazing in most scenarios, you will probably use them to protect the protagonist in most scenarios. Her ailment healing skills are only good up until you get salvation at which point that role of hers becomes moot. The only thing she particularly excels at is being able to spec for gun damage since she can make a skill of hers, One-Shot Kill, an incredibly strong attack. Otherwise, she's probably the worst overall teammate in terms of general usability.
Goro - Instant kills, Almighty Attack, High Crit physical skills with crazy good damage. He starts with a ridiculously powerful physical attack and gets debilitate late game which makes him even better, an auto tarukaja, full revive, and access to heavy damage Dark, Light, and Almighty abilities letting him cover multiple bases.

No one in this game is truly bad because due to every character covering an elemental affinity of some sort, there are some worth using over others in a number of scenarios, but if you're looking for like boss useability and just general usefulness it would be something like.

Morgana = Ryuji & > Goro > Makoto > Yusuke > Ann > Haru

If you want a silly rear end tier comparison I guess, use whoever the hell you want otherwise, it's not a hard game. I used Ryuji, Makoto, and Yusuke pretty much the whole game after I got the latter two and barely swapped only when I needed to in case they were near death or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So how good is the Moon Cooperation at keeping the benched party members up to speed? All these characters look cool and I want to use them but P4 had pretty big level differences after a dungeon or two of not using someone.

They will never be a significant number of levels behind. As far as I remember they were at worst like five levels behind when I had him at Rank 6.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

I remember baal or one of other importers say she was disappointing?

Who is this? Because Haru is like the only character in the Phantom Thieves I don't like.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In fact Makoto is probably tied with Goro and Yosuke with my favorite characters of the main group. Sadayo is tied with her as waifu though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

All I remember was that first impressions of Makoto was "oh, she's not as fierce as her persona debut was." It was like half a year ago and a first take at this point.

Her voice isn't, is what I saying at the time iirc and they have her sound pretty normal during combat which is weird. Tbf Rina Sato grew on me, but I still would've preferred a deeper voice to emphasize her being older and a figure of some authority to the group. It's still better than Cherami Leigh though, Jesus Christ.