Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

":downs: Why do they run 500 miles?"

":argh: WHY DID THE ENGINES BLOW UP!!!"

It's an endurance race for the formulae. 500 miles averaging over 200 mph each lap at racing speeds is a challenge for the cars. Even making all the required pit stops is a hurdle to be cleared. Even though endurance races of all stripes are becoming more like long sprints, it's still a challenge to be accomplished.

And yes WELL DONE TAKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Honestly, your yank racing series loving blows and you should all be ashamed of it.

Nah

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

You're still from Indiana I'm afraid.

I think this is the first time I've seen somebody considering "Yinzer" as a major upgrade.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

GET YOUR GANGTAGS HERE:

Tell me if you want it centered or not as well.

Checking in for duty, centered

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

From what I hear, snow where I live (PNW) is wet powder which lots of people don't like (and is sometimes nicknamed "Cascade cement"). The dry powder is in the Rockies.

In New England, 2 inches is a powder day. New England is all about skiing in the rain on ungroomed ice and liking it.

Not sure about Washington but Mt Hood on a good day is glorious.

Also Tony all the rich Aussies come up to Japan. Parts of Hokkaido get bogan as gently caress in our winter/your summer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I do what I can :D

Has anyone karted at Pat's Acres outside of Portland, OR? Looks pretty fun, but I just upgraded to a seven string guitar and I'm not sure I should be looking into another expensive, time-consuming, gear-driven hobby.

I believe one of my dad's friends got wise and stopped doing track days so much and instead bought a cart and goes to Pat's Acres on the regular, seems like a great place to get started or to go regularly.

I've gone to do rentals in Japan a couple times, but still looking for the Tokyo area. The fun part will be finding one that isn't in the middle of goddamn nowhere :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Anyone played Project Cars? It's real cheap on Steam right now. Looking for another game before F1 2017 comes out.

there's discussion of this (and a small little competition) going on in the Miscellaneous Racing Thread leading up to the 24 Hours of Le Mans next weekend, go check that out.

and it's hard to really judge the GT-R LM because, compared to Toyota (and especially Porsche) they did all of their testing in a shorter period of time, with more publicity, and didn't even get the hybrid system working the one year they ran Le Mans. And then the program went down in flames. It probably wouldn't have been as fast had it been done properly, but still, it never had a chance as-is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

well that's a hell of a lap there :stare:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mrfart posted:

This is what robot sex is gonna be like.

Ah, another nice picture from Japan:

This was (and I'm not making this up) in the 'junk' section.
It would be nice if it came with a little Alonso figurine in a beach chair.
I wonder if they'll even bother making one for the 2017 car.

No way it was supposed to be in the junk section for ¥3700 mate, the models there are generally much cheaper and a bit more broken.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

Oh sure, but I secretly want an anime F1 car to happen one of these days anyway.

When Japan had tons of money and a boner for F1 they didn't also have itasha, but if it happened now, we would definitely have another mid-backfield team sponsored by a Japanese delivery firm but with anime girls pasted all over.

I think Goodsmile Racing works alongside former Formula 1 driver Ukyo Katayama. Goodsmile F1 needs to happen now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

No, I think the issue was that Mercedes and Petronas had told the teams that were buying the motors what type of fuel and oil to use, and Mobil (who were sponsoring McLaren at that time) completely ignored Petronas' advice and went another way.

Close. The other Mercedes teams may have had their own sponsors, but they all used Petronas lubricants and fuels. McLaren still used Mobil for their supply, and so Mobil didn't have all the top-secret best information on speed. This explains the gap not just to the works Mercedes but also to Williams that year.

---

Don't forget the LMP1s are probably on less-sticky tires than F1 - Michelin in WEC are more secretive about the compounds and relative grippiness than Pirelli for F1, but that's what you get in more open rules. Also the P1s weigh much more as well - 2017 weight minimums are 702kg for F1 and 870 kg for LMP1H.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

She also says "Nee sonn" instead of "Nissan" which is equally awful.

Unfortunately for you she's correct. The typical British "niss" rhyming with miss isn't how you pronounce Japanese.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9SgZzBHqK0

That sounds more like Niss-ann than nee-sonn

Either way, I'm right and everyone who is foreign is wrong.

The "i" sound in Japanese is pronounced like a double ee in English (like cheese) so yeah.

Source: university degree in Japanese

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Halo14 posted:

From reddit:

I need this in my life

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

I've tried looking online but why did they switch to a V12? Their V10 was just fine and they had to spend the whole 1991 season desperately developing it to stay on par with the Renault V10 of the Williams. Was it just Honda.txt and wanting a new challenge for the sake of it?

"Because our engineers are bored" I think sums it up.

And I think BLMW's massive accident at Brazil in 2014 made him think of hanging it up sooner than later. He wound up winning a World Championship but still missed out on Le Mans. I wouldn't put it past him returning in a GTE car eventually, but for the time being he's pulling a Porsche paycheck and enjoying retirement.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Nissan made one of the worst concepts into reality with their stupid FWD car.

Honda is absolute garbage.

Toyota is forever cursed.

Subaru doesn't even do anything anymore.

Mitsubishi has been on the verge of bankruptcy/bankrupt for almost 10 years now.

Mazda might as well not even exist.

Japan is in a sad, sad place.

Nissan's GT3 car is good and I think they're still in V8s as well?

Toyota doing well in NASCAR and back in WRC

Mazda having early issues with the DPi but still out there, and also sponsor the entire American open wheel development ladder

Mitsubishi is kind of a joke and Subaru needs to come back to rallying (their Super GT car keeps that spirit alive though!) but yeah.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you haven't been, you NEED to tune into Le Mans now. The last 2.5 hours left and it's a chase-down from a P1 trying to catch a P2!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Endurance racing is grossly underappreciated.

Also, even for a modern prototype car, a starter motor's still just a starter motor. Fix it with a hammer on an old American yacht or a carbon fiber prototype :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Faaark Moto GP delivers again.

F1 2017: PLEASE WATCH MOTOGP

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

NASCAR has 5.9L V8s that has the rev limiter set to 9.5 grand. They won't hit it though on the road courses (though it lead to hilarity this year with Junior blew up two engines by missing a shift into 4th and put it into 2nd by mistake at Pocono). The GTE Corvettes also a pretty loud, too, with a 5.5L V8 that well, is pure sex in terms of sound.

All of the GT2/GTE Corvettes sound like wonderful American thunder :911: a few other GT cars are close, especially the Mercedes and Lexus GT3s.

I still kind of miss the early 1990s F1 days when there was diversity of V8, V10 and V12 engines.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The other two are global brands, Footwork to my knowledge operated almost exclusively within Japan, which is the part I struggle with.

Somehow, some way, Formula 1 was the sport of the bubble. Japan in the late 1980s was to F1 as China is to soccer now. Spending tons of money, doing so without a real plan, and causing everyone in Europe to arch their eyebrows (and possibly cash out). It wouldn't have mattered that Footwork was a domestic company because the domestic market was huge, and F1 had a major popularity boom. Seriously - even now in Tokyo I still see old dudes wearing Benetton-Ford team gear sometimes, and there are still magazine issues written about cars or seasons of that era. It's unreal.

And FWIW Footwork is now owned by Australian logistics company Toll, which you may have seen sponsor V8 Supercar teams before, and now the last remaining Footwork trucks I've seen in Japan now have the old paint scheme with the new name and it looks so sad. (And when Forza 7 comes out this year I'm planning on making a Yamato Kuroneko-style GT scheme. Maybe an IndyCar one too).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Autopolis sponsored Benetton in 90-91 iirc.

Autopolis is another batshit loony thing. "Let's build the world's greatest auto racing circuit and country club...up a two-lane road in the woods of Kyushu!" Yikes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big John in the top 10 phwoar

Nando just missing out though :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Qmass posted:

is ricciardos hair an elaborate hamilton troll?

I don't know if they're close enough mates for the Colgate Bogan to want to do that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Lol sorry sea of Dutch people in the stands I guess

it's almost all of the Netherlands out there

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Halo14 posted:

What a spastic Kvyatt is. Max is innocent

Kvyatt, get in the drat bin.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Hahaha. "I can't believe this. gently caress this" Amazing they haven't caught alonso say that.

dying laughing at this, and on Japanese coverage they didn't even try to apologize for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Raikkonen just broke the lap record, ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

...:effort:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Already preparing myself for the wall of 'Allo 'Allo jokes which I will be making

The weekly Radio LeMans show has been on this since at least last year "'Tis I, LeClerc"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

V8 meh but every now and then Youtube recommends me a quali lap from Montoya or Schumacher from like 2004 and jesus christ. More RPMs really are better. Sadly if not for FIM regulations back in the 60s/70s, we'd have had GP motorcycles turning over 25000.

I miss the old days when engines were high-strung and the failures were massive. Now you just get this little wisp of smoke, but the V10 era explosions were pretty sensational. And coming from engines running ~19,000 rpm, with Honda going about 20,000 for the "Suzuka special"? drat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theophany posted:

I can't tell whether Jacques or Guy Fieri thought it was a good look first. Either way, whoever did it second has no excuses.

remember, It Was The Late '90s. That's a better excuse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Never ever change, Straya.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ItsHappening dot gif

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It just hit me: this thread is all about the one-time GP winners.

Bobby Kube, Pastor Maldonado, Jean Alesi...

JARNO TRULLI! Heikki "Fast Heikki" Kovaleinen!

...Max Verstappen :frog:

Think about it.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 24, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mrfart posted:

In other news:
Mercedes is coming to formula E

https://twitter.com/FIAformulaE/status/889554108746797056

...and leaving DTM at the end of 2018 season. The electric series is on the up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I could see this creating a problem in the heat of battling for position.

why? instead of a paddle on each side, you're using one paddle, one direction for upshifts, one for down.

That is actually the method Are Jacques used for a while, certainly when he was with Williams and starting at BAR.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syCyjkSaxzk

The part of the trailer where they show an engine failure is of course Alonso.

Such an unrealistic trailer. There's no way Vijay Malya is going to any of those races! :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

US GP plus Indy 500 plus Indy at Sonoma

Alonso didn't race the USGP, that was the same weekend as Spain, he flew over directly after the race at Barcelona and arrived in time for Monday, the first day of Indianapolis 500 practice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

lol, really?

Sign him up, Sauber.

Naaahhh he's more likely to be the money behind Trevor Carlin starting an IndyCar team of his own, or staying with a Ganassi team. Plus, Sauber has their own money driver in Ericsson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Huh. How long has Motogp had picture in picture?

They just showed onboard from teh leader on a small screen attached to the relative timing/order board while showing an ongoing battle on the main part of the screen.

Neat trick, and makes F1 look even more amateurish with their media management.

they've done a lot of fun things in their graphics (including the left-of-screen "timing tower") for a good long while now.

MotoGP is the gold standard of racing production and availability, their app is great, the TV production for their races is easily better than F1. Nobody does it better.

• Locked thread