Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Norns posted:

I mean I assume my neighbors civic has a Honda F1 engine in it myself

According to a Honda engineer it has four prototypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

wicka posted:

I was mostly thinking about waking up for 8am races and doing some drinking then, but I do enjoy watching the races hungover while eating some lovely breakfast food.

For all of the four races that are on Sunday morning on the west coast, mimosa and brunch is always the answer for me.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sulman posted:

This has to be one of the weirder complaints I've read on this forum.

Serial winners shouldn't do a podium celebration? Okay...

When you start on pole and win, all you actually did was not screw up too much for an hour or so :smug:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Max poo poo his pants, that is the big deal

Babies just do this sometimes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

having driven a UK Fiat 500, I'm surprised they haven't gone bankrupt. I used one as a courtesy car after years of driving a Ford KA and holy poo poo it really is the most miserable, awful car I have ever driven

The Abarth 500 is fantastic though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It wins the price for most fake exhaust sound ever. I laugh every time I hear/see one.

What does that even mean?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DoctorGonzo posted:

LETS TALK ABOUT 1!

Just watched that this weekend with a friend who started watching F1 last season.

Explaining Max Mosley to her was kinda hilarious.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DoctorGonzo posted:

Watching the carnage that was sixties-seventies F1 you understand Max and Bernie. I havent finished watching it but its hard.

Yeah, they show a lot of bad crashes :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Max is good when he makes seb and/or Kimi crazy.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Genuinely shocked to find out that Tony wasn't American, based only on how hard it was to read his posts.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Basticle posted:

Oh lordy, Honda is saying they could supply a 3rd team (besides McLaren and sauber) next year.

Fingers crossed for a return of super aguri.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dunno what you guys are talking about, stroganoff is good and that looks good.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I will make teriyaki or curry for Japan, because those are pretty much the only non boring things I can make.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It is weird to see a smiling Fernando in 2017.

Weird, but good.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Seriously? This thread is freaking out over an Indy500 rookie test?

No, we are freaking out over Fernando Alonso, which is totally different, totally normal and needs no further justification.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I was also upset when I heard that children no longer know how to use a rotary telephone or use a butter churn.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

wicka posted:

Alonso is a guy who drives
He is a driver who drives fast
He is a good person to drive cars
People flock to him to lose at driving
Rock and roll Alonso's
Rock and roll Alonso's
Rock and roll Alonso's
Rock and roll Alonso's

This is the best post to have ever been posted in an F1 thread.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

wicka posted:

It's going to be a good engine. :colbert:

Oh god, you really believe that, that's adorable.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

wicka posted:

They have done no major upgrades this year and already made huge steps forward, anyone who thinks their first full iteration won't pay huge dividends is being intentionally stupid.

I am being a little bit of a snarky butthole, and I do hope they can pull it together but Honda hasn't really impressed me with their ability to do that.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GramCracker posted:

All Fernando wants to do is race and be competitive, McLaren is the most logical decision for Fernando if he wants to pursue his Triple Crown dream and still have a drive in F1. Fat chance any other team would ever let him skip a GP.

Do they have an LMP car they can throw him in?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tony Montana posted:

No, I disagree. It's not incompetence so much as culture. That's another part of it, they do it their way which is often nothing like the way a UK or US team and they still get results. Part of it is a lot of what I've said here, there is so much passion and emotion and history in Ferrari there can be a problem with groupthink and sticking your neck out. Also personal culture, Italians talk to each other differently to English speakers and that would translate into how they make decisions on a raceday and sure, sometimes you see them do something that makes you scratch your head.

No team that has been here for that long with that much success is incompetent.

That culture is also their greatest asset. Its a double-edged sword.

Yeah but they were only good when they were run by an Englishman and a German driver.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tony Montana posted:

Counterpoint: Both Ferrari drivers are ex-World Champions and both loving legends. No drat junior drives the red car

Kimi is only legendary in the sense that people tell tales about the times he was awake long enough to win a race.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Carth Dookie posted:

Wasn't that Jackie Stewart and didn't he have some crippling stomach problem towards the end of that year that hosed him up really badly? I'm going from memory here but I vaguely recall something about it in his autobiography.

He beat piece of human garbage Jacky Ickx after dying at Monza.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Thanks Ants posted:

Kubica is cool and good

Would like to see him back in the game, don't know how good he'd be, but I liked him at BMW and Renault.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

What team were they before they were force India? Spyker?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

wicka posted:

Jordan, Midland, Spyker, Force India

It probably won't happen this year, but it will be nice to see FI get their first win given that the combined history of the team hasn't seen one in over 10 years.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Is there some rule that prevents them from putting the engine in a car and testing it? Or is it a real poo poo situation where it only fits the current McLaren and can't be used because it is a current season car or something?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If Mclaren score a point, I will be happy :toxx:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

At what point does Kvyat get dropped? Is he bringing in Russian bucks or something?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

iospace posted:

I think his ride is secure for the rest of the season. After that it's a big question mark.

(I think they're taking money from Aleshin's Indy fun to keep Kvyat's ride, because Aleshin's future, even in this season, is in hot water)

That's a shame, he's poo poo and I hate him.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wirth1000 posted:

Kubica's test is tomorrow.

This piece has me so loving pumped for it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-kubica-challenge-change-perceptions-937291/

God, I hope he does loving well. I want him back in F1 with his mangled arm. I've seen more appealing roadkill than what his arm looks like now. I want to see him on a podium.

I really want Bobby baby arm back on the grid, I hope his test goes well and someone puts him in a 2018 car.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Korwen posted:

I'm going to be in Montreal for a week starting this Thursday. I was wondering if there's anything an F1 fan should do while there even if it isn't race weekend. Is there access to the track, a park to visit, or anything motorsport related like kart racing tracks worth visiting in the area?

There's a Gille museum just north of Montreal that is pretty cool.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This thread gets weird during the break.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wirth1000 posted:

Drink Monster not Reich Bull

Drink coffee.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Norns posted:

Also ban Mercedes for using oil as fuel

Any reason is fine.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wirth1000 posted:

What kind of TV is that and lol @ the framed horse picture.

Nico knows what art is, pictures of horses.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's real fuckin adorable that ricciardo and Felipe jr. are best buds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXshz1vgq1J/

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

1500quidporsche posted:

Snap-On is another thing I don't get. I've used Snap-On tools, I've used non Snap-On tools. I don't get the hard on and justification to pay that much more.

Well the snap-on truck drives by the shop and has an agreement with the owner where they can just deduct your payment from your paycheck, and this is better because....

This is an actual reason I was told when I worked at a dealership.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

F1 2017 is fun, but the default difficulty is way too low. No way should I be qualifying 1st in a McLaren, much less finish a race there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Alonso has a record of unlucky decision making when changing teams, which means if he leaves McLaren because they stick with the Honda engine, it will be good in 2018.

If he stays, the Honda or Renault engine will be bad in 2018.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 30, 2017

• Locked thread