Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tony Montana posted:

Burning of the oil.

Just listening to a podcast now and it's interesting. So the deal is.. oil is there and it's full of calories and it's not as dense as the fuel itself but it's still combustible. There is discussion around some teams burning oil sort of like a fuel additive, including some oil into the fuel that gets squirted on top of the cylinder. Because oil isn't as closely regulated as the fuel, it's possible an additive is being put into the oil to make it a better fuel. This hasn't been confirmed but this ex-Benetton guy is talking about it, he's also saying they've gotta budget for about 5 kilos of oil to be burnt during the race (all race engines burn oil) and if you can make sure that 5 kilos is gone then that's a weight advantage. Ideally you'd want to burn oil to the point that that sump (or whatever the gently caress an F1 car has, the oil reservoir) is empty by the end of the race. It's a thin line because you go too far and you have a loving catastrophic failure (I'm sure an engine doesn't seize at 300kph, it more explodes) and not far enough and you're leaving time sloshing around in your oil sump.

Do you have a link? I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I like England and I don't mind Lewis too much although I don't want him to win but really what I hate are the British media. We can all agree on this surely, the British media are the worst of all medias.

You cannot hope
to bribe or twist,
thank God! the
British journalist.

But, seeing what
the man will do
unbribed, there's
no occasion to.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Norns posted:

That's the only seal that won't be broken anywhere Nando this year

Hot drat

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

wuffles posted:

Lewis has no taste anyway so I dunno why he gives a gently caress

nice

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Can we just ban the word meltdown and probate anyone using it please?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'd be watching FP but it is the perfect mix of hot sun and strong breeze so I am out walking around the bay while the sea sparkles beside me.

Let me know if I miss anything good

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's 4 engines for the season, right? We know from last year at least that Merc reliability can be in jeopardy when they "turn the wick up"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

By the way, when I was buying a domain for my crappy blog, I also bought assf1.com

I don't really know what to do with it. I could just put lots of pictures of grid girls' (and drivers'?) bums on there but tbh I'm not a sleaze toad. So if any of you have any good ideas, I'm listening. Maybe something to do with Haas?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

GOOD JOB COLGATE BOGAN

And non-sarcastic good job to Massa but especially Grosjean

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Well I'm very confused.

I watched during the late 2000s and I am pleased to see a Ferrari win?
I watched during the early 2010s and I am pleased to see Vettel win?

Wtf is wrong with me?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

If you think him sleeping in FP2 is funny you shoulda seen him 2 weeks ago on Sunday!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

He is a brain-broke old man and often wrong but he is a Good Dad and all-round nice dude

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

In Russia? I only caught the highlights, looked like a snooze fest

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Did Eddie Irvine ever throw poo poo on Fighting Michael or did he just talk about being threatened by the IRA?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

wicka posted:

How is it that Button had such good relationships with his teammates? He's not on the same level as Hamilton or Alonso but he certainly never acted like a second driver.

Some people are just good people

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

simplefish posted:

Some people are just good people

gently caress I was quoting wicka, should have said "not that you'd know anything about that"

I don't actually have the hatred others do for him

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah Lewis does tend to get hosed on ~mindgames~, the way he was asking about whether Bottas had similar issues and was prickly about being told where frogboy was behind him, armchair psychologist I know, but seems like he's more focused on others than his own race. That historically has not worked out well for him.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Have no fear, Lewis will happily play against himself

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Poster named Montana talking poo poo about woman named Dakota? Quelle fuckin surprise

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

GramCracker posted:

The fact that Nando now has his own clothing/fashion company must drive Their Lewis, the fashion forward F1 Star, up the loving walls for not having one of his own.

It is just the fact Benetton, a fashion brand, had a team that hired drivers coming full circle

Now a driver has a company that hires fashionistas

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

Cousin of Maldonado collects 2 other cars with just a terrible move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVGuuyJrbZI

Manuel Maldonado races in British F3 FYI.

Manueldonado my new hero

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

iospace posted:

Where's El Hefe and his avatar when you need him

Dead in a Caracas gutter, sadly

I'd like to go to Macau again but I too work Sundays

Hoping to get out for Singapore this year though

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It's alright everyone Ant is doing commentary today.

That merc aero looks "interesting"

The Renault sounds like a dinosaur is being tortured.

100kg of concentrated dinosaur per race

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I've heard the useful life is 200 laps or so and you can probably get another hundred laps after that. If you look at it compared to something like Autocross where it's like $800 to get maybe 50-70 runs it's not such a bad deal. Even so the lure of free tires beside the portable toilets always calls to me.

That isn't what the nice gentleman was promising when he assured you he'd have a rubber if you went with him

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I really hope Ferrari don't try some bullshit team orders bollocks and tell Kimi to pull over tomorrow

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Alonso is just going to not come back

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Who had worse sunglasses - Hamilton or Perez?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 30, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dubs posted:

HAM has been wearing the exact same pair as PER has on at the last few races.

Kimoa makes a ripoff of them, but they aren't wearing Kimoa ones.

I don't normally watch the interview stuff so this is the first time I've seen them

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Rosberg skipped backbone day
He always did leg day, you can tell because he ran away as fast as he fuckin could with that trophy lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

wuffles posted:

He did an interview where he talked about how he didn't see the need for a personal trainer because he could do it himself with better results--so that's what he's doing this year and I'm so glad he is because I can't get enough of Weezy L. Hamilton on the radio.

Would love a source on this because it explains Lewheeze Hamilton and is a crazy thing to have done and yet so believable

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/05/pirelli-boss-hits-back-at-toto-wolffs-italian-mystery-line-after-monaco-f1-defeat/

The president of F1’s tyre supplier Pirelli has responded to Mercedes’ boss Toto Wolff’s line that the reason why Ferrari is able to master the tyres and Mercedes cannot is an “Italian mystery”.

Oh piss off Toto. We can put Michelins on them and then Renault is cheating. Or Bridgestones and then it's Honda. How about we put German tires on them? A quick look and the last time someone wore Continentals to a F1 race was in the 50s. Don't start getting all snippy now you're not winning Toto, RBR did that and boy were they lambasted for it.

Surely I'm not the only one who remembers the Merc as being the Trulli Of Cars? Fast qualifying, then tyres degraded faster than everyone else.

Then they had that extended tyre test for Pirelli after one of the races and became almost unbeatable for the next few years. And Ferrari called bullshit but it turned out Ferrari had been offered and said 'gently caress you, we aren't helping you with your tyre experiment on our own dime'

E: this one
http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/22999260

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 5, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Theophany posted:

There was also a film called Thunderbolt starring Jackie Chan which was hilariously loving terrible.

Don't watch it, just read the Wikipedia entry to get a feel for how batshit the plot is.

That was a fantastic film and I still love it even today

Definitely worth a watch. If you like seeing 90s GT cars and Jackie Chan fight scenes, go find it. If you want a deep story, look elsewhere.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I kinda want this aa an avatar

Speaking of books I forwarded some Kimi 'I know what I'm doing' swag to a now-ex-worst-thread poster (who was a regular at the time but now no longer posts in this thread) and I included the Haynes F1 book just to be nice and the sod never said thank you :smith:

We really do have the worst people

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mr Bean

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I can just add the gang tag when I update my avatar, right? I'm seriously considering my first ever avatar change for that Mr Bean one

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

td4guy posted:

One gang tag please.

Also I got a translation for y'all.

Could you also translate the Mr Bean text, please?

I really do wanna change to it but the simply-drawn fish is kinda perfect for the username... hmmmm

Centred gang tag please, just in case I don't take the plunge

Also I watched Monaco F2 and it was way better than F1 but I don't understand weekend structure or scoring. The racing was much better than F1 though, even at Monaco

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

iospace seems like a good mod? There are some really bad ones and I'm happy to call them out but iospace seems ok to me tbh

Are there any fish-related pics in the F1 book? I'm still on the fence

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

My current F1 options are poo poo, not being in Europe or the US. I would pay for streaming plus 7 day on demand availability of races and qualifying. I don't imagine I'm alone, and even if the high-demand market licensing is an issue, there are a lot of underserved markets that F1 could make a good amount of money from via an internet service. Hell I'd be happy with 480p even, if other broadcasters got het up about quality

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

PS Vue, eh? I'll look into that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

mrfart posted:

for a Japanese book, there's remarkably little about fish.
But sharks are fish, I guess.

Don't know what this is.

Nice, I'll mull it over, thanks!

E: what's the Japanese around the hammerhead shark? I get that the upper one is about the sharkfins

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread