Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'm really happy Arkane picked up the Looking Glass mantle.

edit - Chris Avellone is writing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Cowcaster posted:

hi guys it's me cowcaster i feel like a broken record mentioning this constantly but my brother in law worked very hard on this game (and the original dishonored) at arkane austin and i would really appreciate it if you all preordered 28 copies at full price thank you

I'm preordering this because Arkane hasn't let me down (I was lucky enough to duck Dishonored 2 performance issues) - so tell your bro in law that if this sucks I'ma convince you to advocate for your sibling's divorce

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
A couple of keybinding issues aside and one or two strange bugs (I once had a -13 ammo in my pistol) this is a really fun, and really effective, mix of influences - you can see System Shock and Bioshock, of course, but also Half-Life and Deus Ex and even a little Portal and Alien Isolation. It's been a blast so far.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rookersh posted:

Not to just add to the praise, but Prey is likely my GOTY, holy poo poo.

It's everything Deus Ex og was, but modernized/built in 2017. Unlike the new Deus Ex games or other similar games that claimed to be Deus Ex like, it's not just mimicking the structure of Deus Ex og to appeal to that nostalgia. It's saying ok, what's the next step.

This is exactly right. Every time I see something I think I've seen before (and I mean story and character as well as setting and mechanics) they take it farther than I expect instead of simplifying it.

The game is basically what I remember System Shock 1 and 2 being in my rose-tinted glasses.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

SunAndSpring posted:

Jeez, what's with the lack of reviews? Game's been out for a day. How do you guys like it so far? I could go for another System Shock style game I guess.

Release day was the same for critics as it was for the general audience. There aren't any reviews (except for a couple of the "in-progress" type) because everyone's still playing the game.

gently caress beat

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Cowcaster posted:

jesus christ i think these guys have made system shock 3

new thread title

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

FisheyStix posted:

What's the goon consensus on this game? Any good?

It's very good. Mechanically and aesthetically it's far more of a "spiritual successor" to the System Shock series than Bioshock was, and it's been a great nostalgia trip. Between this and Dishonored, Arkane is basically what Looking Glass would've been if it hadn't closed shop. I can't think of any higher praise.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 7, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I think I missed an explanation for a plot-thread: Why were so many people on the station having emotional and neurological issues, like Calvino forgetting about his glass order? Was it because they'd been neuromodding themselves, and it was personality drift? Or was it the typhon in their heads going active after the outbreak?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ending chat. Seriously don't mouse over this if you haven't finished.

So - how much of the game is true, and how much is a sim? Alex says that you (the typhon) experienced a sim based on the last memories of Morgan. So what happened in Talos (that is, the game) actually happened, right? Only Morgan failed to stop the Typhon going to earth. Blowing up the shuttle or blowing up the station or saving the station didn't matter.

Except those memories didn't completely happen - the simulation is meant to test if you (the typhon) have learned empathy from the human/typhon merge. So the Operators are either 1) the survivors speaking to Alex via radio or 2) January-like backups, depending on your in-game choices, and they're chilling with Alex and loving with the sim to test your ethics. What am I missing here?

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, if you're a typhon Morgan, you're basically another version of January. A backup moved over to a new system.

edit 2: And here's another thing, I missed this email, why did Simmons install blank neuromods on you?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 12, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

GlyphGryph posted:

The thermos was under the stairs you came in, on the floor under the looking glass. Total bitch to find.

Weird - it was on a toolbox in my run.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Palpek posted:

If you're on the search for achievements linked to that quest you should know that sending her the tape is one of the required actions for the "I and Thou" achievement given for playing the game in the most empathic way.

Are you sure about this? I don't remember this quest but I got the achievement. And what are the other flags, do you know? I'm surprised I got it on my first run.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

RatHat posted:

Yeah even at level 1 Combat Focus is ridiculously good.

EDIT: So there was a weapon cut from the game(a disc rifle) that had an AI in it and actually talked to you. It eventually starts questioning it's own existence and realizes it hates violence, so it starts asking to be recycled. You can either do that or turn it into a Medical Operator(which gets you a one-time boost). Here's the full dialog along with the model. Only very minor spoilers.

lol this was a fantastic idea that fit amazingly well into the theme of the game, I'm sorry it got scrapped

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Palpek posted:

That modder guy keeps going through the files and now he activated the extra traumas cut from the game.

This poo poo is getting pretty cool for another playthrough.

Fallout 4 improved dramatically with survival mode, and I'm jazzed as gently caress to see how something like that makes Prey better.

limited posted:

Just picked this up, and to be honest the main thing that is loving horrifying about this entire game is that Neuromods have a five-minute application time according to one of the notes.

That's right, you're standing there, with a bunch of needles in your eye and brain, for five minutes each time. :gonk:

I don't think it's an accident that neuromods are sort of an icepick lobotomy.

wikipedia posted:

"We went through the top of the head, I think she was awake. She had a mild tranquilizer. I made a surgical incision in the brain through the skull. It was near the front. It was on both sides. We just made a small incision, no more than an inch." The instrument Dr. Watts used looked like a butter knife. He swung it up and down to cut brain tissue. "We put an instrument inside", he said. As Dr. Watts cut, Dr. Freeman put questions to Rosemary. For example, he asked her to recite the Lord's Prayer or sing "God Bless America" or count backwards..... "We made an estimate on how far to cut based on how she responded." ..... When she began to become incoherent, they stopped.[17]

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 18, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
new patch up on beta:

​Further fixes to prevent save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted save games to uncorrupted state.
Items should no longer be incorrectly deleted from inventory or world when changing levels.
Fix for stamina not recovering.
Fix for being unable to repair items.
Player should no longer spawn out of level.
Fabricated weapons are now empty.
Fix for humans incorrectly turning hostile. Hostile humans in lobby will be returned to friendly.
End game credits now always skippable.
Aaron Ingram no longer cowers if spooked by a typhon.
Fix for various problems making changes in the settings.
FOV slider is available in the advanced options menu.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I think there's one or two unimportant areas like med facilities that are only available via coffee cup, but you can beat the game not using any neuromods. There's even a cheev for it.

Random edit: Prey really reminded me how much I loved the "hide until caught then gently caress poo poo up" approach to games, which got me to play Metro 2033 and Last Light again for the first time in a few years. I'd forgotten how good they were.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 19, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Kurzon posted:

I like to think that it all did happen to the real Morgan Yu save for a few minor moral choices like kill or rescue someone. It would have been great if the real Morgan Yu was present alongside Alex to assess their Typhon experiment.

More ending stuff: They leave it open-ended, but this is what I think, too. Some version of the major events on Talos actually happened - the simulation is based on Morgan's memories, after all - but the simulation also reacts to the Morgan/typhon's behavioral choices as part of the empathy test.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't know how much input he had over the narrative design but there are aspects of it that have his fingerprints all over it. I'm assuming you know the basic first reveal of the plot at this point, but I'll spoil this next bit in case you don't.

Game narratives tend to be straight-jacketed by the cognitive dissonance associated with a player character existing before the events of the game but not being controlled by them. Characters tend to be blank slates who effectively don't exist before you control them, because doing otherwise would cause players to cry foul (see: FONV Lonesome Road) and this limits story possibilities.

What Avellone frequently does to get around this obstacle is use an amnesia plot contrivance to reconcile a character's past agency with the player's present control - thus giving you some responsibility for choices you didn't personally make, without breaking immersion. They're your character now, but they weren't always. Morgan Yu's Groundhog Day situation and the "personality drift" of neuromod abuse is to Prey what The Nameless One's changing consciousness was to Planescape / the Spirit Eater's soul hijacking was to Mask of the Betrayer.

I don't have anything to add here, but I wanted to say that this is a really astute point - especially the comparison between Yu and The Nameless One's old personalities .

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

a kitten posted:

Super mega ending spoiler questions.

So, since the player character Morgan is a Typhon implanted with her memories, were there real events that presumably took place on the station? if so, what were the choices that Morgan-actual made? Obviously Alex is alive so that's one thing we know, but are those operators at the end just speaking terminals for live people in a different location or are they like January and December?

Unless someone's found some info I don't know about, these questions are deliberately unanswered for personal interpretation/player choice. I think that the events on Talos really happened in some form, and that the Typhon made it to earth because of those events, but the variables in those events were simulated as part of your empathy test. The four operators are either live people radio-ing in or they're backups like January, depending on if they lived or died. Not having a definite answer makes both possible.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, I heard the actual shooting stuff is kind of crappy though? So what would you say is the "hook" that keeps it interesting all the way through?

Arkane does world-building and atmosphere via setting with a lot of depth, and the 'emergent gameplay' they bake into their games makes you think around corners. It's a fun combination (that is, a compelling environment with the tools to explore it) that no one else does quite so well.

Prey is a little slow off the chocks (but not nearly as slow as eg witcher 3), but once you get into it, it's the kind of game you think about playing when you aren't.

edit: I'm going to add something else: the game is a lot richer on a second playthrough. There's a ton of stuff that seems irrelevant - flavor text, mostly, like book excerpts and conversations, but also larger elements like the stories and themes of side quests - that all tie in to the game's main conceit but aren't quite blatant enough to be called clues. There is some really great and subtle writing and design here.

I guess it seems like I'm overhyping the game, and maybe I am, a little (it isn't without its flaws) but it's kept my attention for almost three full playthroughs now, and I'm still finding things I missed the first two times and reactions from the game I hadn't seen. An ironic thing about how well Prey's designed is that it allows so well for your initial approach - whatever it is - that your way can seem like the only way. But then if you go back and try something you hadn't thought of, something creative with one (or none) of the powers and tools you're given, you'll find that second or third or fourth way is just as viable, if not more. All that's on top of a pretty great story for a vidya game that brings and some unique additions to the genre (while still paying homage to its influences, kinda how literature does or movies do). In short, it's a certain kind of game a certain kind of nerdlinger gets nostalgic for, and a lot of us are in this thread.

If you've played and enjoyed Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Half-Life, Dishonored, Metroid, Alien: Isolation, Bioshock, the new Doom, or Portal, and if you've watched and enjoyed The Matrix, 2001, Alien, Moon, or Starship Troopers, you'll probably dig Prey.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 2, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ErKeL posted:

Just finished the game. Double what? You're joking me right?

Admittedly I got through like 90% of the game before finding the Q-Beam so I had like 2k ammo for it at the end.

lol i also missed both these things on a first run.

There was a review, I can't remember which magazine, that said it was interesting how little detours led to some game-changing tools or powers - but that you can still complete the game just fine without any of them. It's one of those design decisions that seems really simple but hides an underlying complexity that has to be a goddamn nightmare to get right.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

GlyphGryph posted:

How does someone go through the game and not get a Q-beam? There are so many.

Had other poo poo on my mind, I guess

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Had a bit of dialogue from January change (early game): This time January told me that Jorgen Thorstein resented me, but my first two runs January said he respected me. any idea what could be the trigger?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Kurzon posted:

The writing and voice acting in Prey is a lot better than Dishonored, which was honestly laughable in many places.

As much as I love the Dishonored series for its world design and gameplay, yeah, the writing isn't all that great. At its worst, it's one or two steps above Saturday-morning cartoon villainy. I absolutely adore Stephen Russell for his work as Garrett (and Mercer Frey in an otherwise bland questline in Skyrim), but even he can't save some of the snide high-chaos Corvo quips in D2.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 9, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

Thief 3 had the best lockpicking if you edited the ini to remove the visual UI component that made it too easy. Then you had to kind of probe around with the mouse and listen for clicks and it actually kind of felt like how I'd imagine picking a lock to feel.

I'm glad I wasn't the only grognard who did this.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Genocyber posted:

God, it would have been so cool if the final part of the game had intelligent humans. Dunno if it's just cause they came off the heels of the Dishonored games, but it really feels like Prey wants to be a stealth game at times, it's just that none of the enemies are smart (or dangerous) enough for it to be necessary.

This was how I felt about Deus Ex (1) after plaything Thief (1). The stealth was serviceable but it wasn't the focus of the game.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey where do you find that dead rear end in a top hat in the GUTS? Dalton or whoever?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wengy posted:

I've been playing bideo games for like 25 years (the shame) and I can't believe Prey and Dishonored 2 aren't selling well. These games are what the medium should be all about imho. What the gently caress are people buying and playing if it's not these games?

Prey and Dishonored are heavily influenced by games that, despite being cornerstones of the genre, didn't sell too well themselves (System Shock, Deus Ex, Thief). None of those games were failures by any means, but they didn't sell nearly as well as games in the same era that were less complex and more action-oriented (e.g. Half-Life). Frankly, I'm surprised Zenimax/Bethesda was willing to finance Arkane in the first place.

I don't have any off-hand numbers or anything, but from what I've read, Dishonored 1/2 and Prey seem fairly aligned with their progenitors in terms of fan base and sales, and it isn't like they're flops. There's a new Dishonored game coming out starring secondary characters from the first two games and there'll be DLC for Prey and Arkane's still around doing cool poo poo. Comparatively, look at how quickly Square-Enix shelved the Deus Ex series after Mankind Divided didn't meet expectations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Utnayan posted:

Not sure why everyone thought the shooting was bad in Bioshock. Maybe it was because I was so immersed in the world I didn't care. I * still * remember to this day (And I played this game on launch back in 2007) Sander Cohen coming down the stairs pretending to accept an award for the sociopathic things he made the player do. There is none of the world building, character depth, script, audio sound tracks, or voice acting in that anyone should ever be able to compare Prey to any Bioshock game. Hell, Bioshock Infinite had me roped in in the first 5 minutes when I was sitting there in awe watching a barbershop quartet sing God Only knows on a floating train with an older couple dancing, and I didn't even start the game yet.

None of that attention to detail is in any Arkane game. Which is why I do not think it is even fair to put prey in the same ballpark. Prey is a run of the mill mediocre uninspired world full of emails to read because the developer cannot be tasked with playing some of those ideas out in the world, other than some written narrative which hardly anyone reads, to save money.

I think you're comparing two separate things. Levine's games were influenced by certain aspects of System Shock and Deus Ex, but focused on action and set pieces more than anything. Prey and Dishonored were influenced by other aspects - the "written narrative", you put it - and it's aimed toward people that have the patience to enjoy reading a story and putting it together piece by piece. There (comparatively) aren't that many gamers who like that sort of thing, you're right. More's the pity.What a shame.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 27, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

Elaborate, if you can.

Grenfell landlord?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
My first experience with it was great; I thought it was scripted, even. I hid under a desk in Deep Storage (I think?) while it stomped around near me and gradually came closer. It was very Alien: Isolation.

But after that I never had an equally good experience with the thing, because it always seemed to spawn just into a new area, and all I had to do was go back the way I came. A loading screen is a terrible solution from a player perspective, so that forced me to fight the thing, and I found out it dies pretty easily with combat focus and the shotgun, making the monster a chore more than anything else.

It was a great idea in a game full of them, but the implementation needed work.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Serf posted:

Prey is tied with Breath of the Wild for my favorite game of the year. They're the only two games that I've been unable to put down from start to finish.

That's the weird thing about Prey. The first hour or so I was kind of ambivalent about it, then about two hours in I started enjoying it, and right around the time I got to the GUTS I was completely engrossed and couldn't stop playing it. The last time that happened to me was probably the release of World of Warcraft in 2005 or KotoR back in 2003.

Prey isn't for everyone, and I can see why it didn't sell fantastically well - like Feels Villeneuve said, it's a mechanical remake of a game that most gamers don't know about, despite that game being a cornerstone of the FPS genre. But that's fine. Arkane aims at a demographic that remembers and enjoyed System Shock and Thief and the original Deus Ex, and I'm really loving glad for it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Maybe it's just a PC thing, but aren't the zero-g controls on the left of the screen whenever you go zero-g?

I mean, this is coming from a guy who missed like every q-beam in the game, so I'm not the best example of situational awareness here

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah Psychoshock is kind of ridiculous and trivialized the entire rest of the game for me

:agreed:

My first playthrough was almost all human powers and I spent most of the game, up to Dahl probably, creeping around and hiding and trying to kill things with the environment. My second run I grabbed shock and combat focus right off the bat and started owning Nightmares not long after my first Atrium visit.

Between the two, the first experience was a lot more fun for me, but it was pretty god drat cathartic murdering things with my brain the second time

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

QuarkJets posted:

Repair I think opens the most content and also improves your quality of life because it'll let you repair busted electrical junctions that otherwise will hurt you if you walk by them.
This is a really good example of something prey does well. There's always an optimal way past a problem (e.g. repair) but there are always alternative, if suboptimal, solutions too (e.g. Gloo gunning the junction to allow you a few seconds to run past it).

Prey has made me ask "I wonder if this'll work" more than most other games have, and the answer is almost always yes. The fun is in experimenting.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Neurosis posted:

A lot of people hated the ending. I thought it was great and elevated all the other plot, choices and worldbuilding.

Ending spoilers
When I took Alex's escape pod, it occurred to me that it was probably a simulation, but my first thought was that they'd never do something so cliche, so I weirdly talked myself out of the twist. When I saw that it was a simulation anyway my knee-jerk reaction was to straight-up hate it, but the more I thought about it, the more it worked, and I'm glad the writers took the route they did. On later playthroughs it was fun seeing how well they seeded the idea with so many clues and parallel themes (that I somehow totally missed).

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ladron posted:

I'm looking for something to fill the gap after this and dishonored. Does anyone have any opinions about Metro Redux, since it kinda seems to be a horror/shooter/rpg too?

Both metro games are very, very good.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Vakal posted:

Ha, found out you can kill yourself by jumping into the helicopter blades during the tutorial section.

They really should have put a special ending screen in for that.

I did that at the start of my second run and laughed my rear end off at the idea of Alex putting all his hopes for the salvation of the human race into a typhon that immediately purées itself. Talk about a terrible applicant for the job opening.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Jeza posted:

My favourite surprise sound related thing? I love Alex's voice. It's just so pleasingly...different? Aaaand I went and looked it up and he's Wong in Doctor Strange. And starred in an unrelated TV Series called Prey in 2014. Weird.

He's a really great actor, crazy watchable. He a played a fantastic Kublai Khan on that otherwise not-so-good Marco Polo that was on Netflix.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

the black husserl posted:

I honestly don't think we'll see a "AAA" immersive sim ever again.

From what I've read, Human Revolution, Dishonored 2, and Prey all sold under expectations, and I think you're right that AAA immersive sims are done for at least a little while, but I don't think this is the end. The genre is too influential. After one or two successful indie sims publishers will be right back at the trough.

ghost edit: and probably still loving things up like Bethesda or Squeenix and wondering why they don't sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Neurosis posted:

i want them to do a deus ex now they've done their thief and system shock games

the actual recent deus ex games being okay but not the same

A game that's like Deus Ex the way Dishonored is like Thief and Prey is like System Shock is definitely the thing I want most now