Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I wonder if the secret ending is "beat the game without attacking or killing anything".

For those who have finished it, does it seem like pacifist run would be even remotely possible on, say, the easiest difficulty? Or are there forced fights that have absolutely no way to bypass them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also I managed to die from the helicopter blades completely accidentally. Whoops.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Aaaah I keep getting stuck in geometry.

I've lost maybe an hours worth of playtime to this already, it's happened three separate times. (and now I compulsively autosave ever minute or two hahah)

Seem to happen when you brush against heavy objects, there's a chance they'll knock you into the wall and then you're boned. Also happened when trying to navigate around on beams and when trying to duck under something.

Other than that it's been pretty awesome so far!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It really bothers me that the station on the outside does not match the station on the inside. Worse, stuff you can see out the windows from inside just plain isn't the same as what's outside. I just wasted half an hour trying to get to something I could see fine from inside the station but whenever I went out it wasn't there. Lies!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh crap I just realized I have the January is dead achievement. Aaah, how did he die? An alien must have killed him. drat it...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think the basic phantoms magic ball of lightning that goes through walls and can be made and fired and angled even when glued is pretty dumb.

Actually the same goes for pretty much all phantom attacks. I have been killed through barriers by melee attacks, fire attacks... the monsters in the game just dont respect the environment and its very frustrating. They are also already so fast and dodgy that giving even the basic types really powerful ranged attacks seems weird. And that stupid screen blackening thing that happens in combat is the dumbest poo poo.

Also stealth is great when combined with the wrench upgrades. Just waltz up and instakill many phantoms and bring other dudes to the brink of death before shotgunning them or stunning them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

Does upgraded Leverage allow you to cause massive damage with thrown objects?

So I have been told. I can never hit anything though so who knows, half the time I cant even carry big stuff anywhere because it gets stuck on passing geometry

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Prey compensates by having a really simple quick save/quick load system, which I heavily abuse because if I didn't the combat and platform would descend from "slightly frustrating sometimes" to "absolute garbage gently caress this poo poo"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sneak attack would be broken if we had the proper high damage/low ammo single-shot weapons to capitalize on them. Right now you can spec heavily into sneak damage...or you can just shoot the guy twice.

Stealth let's you get close enough to attack twice with the shotgun or wrench without being under enemy fire. Sneak attack is just a nice opening bonus. But it IS nice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The thermos was under the stairs you came in, on the floor under the looking glass. Total bitch to find.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Bolow posted:

is it possible to nerf gun open the security room door in the Talos 1 Lobby? I tried for like 5 minutes and gave the gently caress up on it. I then opened up a door using the same type of button much later on in the game, so I'm curious if I was just loving it up.

Thats how I got in so yeah it only tookmme like three shots.

I think i might have stood on something to get the right height

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I really really want a "defense mode" for this game now. I would buy that DLC.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I did it! I beat the game! (a few times in "rapid" succession)

Who the fucks idea was it to make the last act of the game 90% loving load screens, and then put the ending behind an unskippable credits scene.
Edit: Apparently it is skippable? I couldn't figure out how.

Aside from that serious issue and the fact that the last act was bugged to hell and back such that it managed to take me like 3 hours to complete, what, 15 minutes worth of gameplay?

Aside from that, it was great.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 24, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also everyone picked the obvious true ending in pushing the fat man one final time after convincing them you are human enough to be released

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The game is great and really makes you feel like you have a huge amount of choice in both ethics and mechanics and even getting around from place to place. Theres always several equally valid ways to accomplish things.

Lots of loading screens esp. in the back half of the game which also has some pacing problems and bugs but it still got its hooks into me deep enough that I never considered anything but powering through and seeing everything.

Also dont pick hacking skill, or if you do dont use it to get access to stuff very often, use it for hacking turrets and robots. Finding alternate ways in to stuff is super fun and theres almost nothing you NEED hacking to access.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

redreader posted:

It turned out he'd been gibbed and the gibs had gone further away in a slightly different direction to what was expected :) At some point last night the game went from 'oh god I am scared of everything' to 'somehow I can kill everything', which is nice. I wish I could make more neuromods though, I suppose I made too many so they're locked now, and I can't figure out how to get to that dude's desk. I suppose I need ... to find a keycard or something
Everything you need to get everything you need is somewhere in the neuromod division.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I always had plenty of everything except xeno materials. You get so many guns and ammo to recycle, and its so easy to pile stuff and recycle it with the recycler grenades, and so much food and booze and spare parts to recycle I dont know hows folks run low on anything else.

Maybe if they arent taking the surgery and dismantle skills?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Mind Jack literally just renders mind controlled humans unconscious, the same exact result as stunning them or killing the Telepath. It's not a very useful skill but you can use it to make Phantoms friendly long enough for two good Shotgun blasts.

Mind Jack is one of the most useful and powerful skills in the game, what are you even talking about.

Bushiz posted:

If you want my insane theory there's a note somewhere that mentions typhon outbreaks happening on the station before, obviously not as bad but still happening, and after they get under control, staff starts getting mindwiped so they didn't see their friend get mummified and start having second thoughts, except for the upper echelons, so Dayo, Sarah, Danielle, and Mikhaila all started building operators with their personalities in secret. All hands were lost when Real Morgan blew up the station except Morgan, who survived by going mimic and floating through space before ending up on the Argus Installation that's mentioned several times as an ultra-blacksite also in orbit of the moon, and the crew-operators, who could just fly over easy enough.

Morgan takes over Argus in the chaos of whatever event causes the typhonization of Earth, and starts building typhon clones from their own genetic material and operator personality uploads to run the sims. Real Morgan figured (trial and error, maybe) that typhon-morgan waking up and seeing Real Morgan would gently caress up the tests so Real Morgan created a LG of Alex to serve as a liason with the experiments. Real Morgan is in the next room monitoring everything and preparing for the next step. Also it's been 100 years since the events on Talos.

Worth noting that it doesn't take many neuromods to increase your lifespan to hundreds of years!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

Ok, amend that to "There is no way to release that specific guy without him becoming unconscious".

The whole "Nightmare is tied to neuromods/Typhon powers" thing is total BS. Supposedly the devs said you could spawn it just by using a whole bunch of Neuromods at once and it would hunt you down but I've used over 50 at one time and nothing happened. It just randomly spawns in a few set locations throughout the game based on your progression, no matter what you do.

It's definitely tied together. Buying three typhon powers at a time always seemed to trigger a nightmare for me.

Its just a shame nightmares are complete pushovers if you have a couple typhon mods. It's like "oh great, a nightmare, I can make it kill all the actual scary enemies and then hit it with the qbeam and watch it blow up"

redreader posted:

Sorry for the double post but what! December spawned dead in my game. Is that not what December is supposed to do??? Dead December in the lobby/entrance of the neuromod division, next to the fountain. Am I missing a quest or two, or something?

He doesn't spawn dead. January kills him. Maybe you just got there too slow? I got to watch the murder happen, myself.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Holy poo poo that stab in the back when (end end-game) January leaves you to die on Talos by messaging Dahl waiting in the shuttle and telling him "Hi this is Morgan, i can't make it, fly without me" after you turn on the self-destruction. Top 10 anime betrayals

I was like Well, that's a dick move. Guess I'll hop in the escape pod that's right here instead, that's fine..

I think that whole... scene bugged out for me. Alex was hostile and January was floating around perfectly silent and it was really really confusing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anything change if you use the special answer to the test in the beginning?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Electroshock does tons of damage to machines and stuns machines and organics which lets you deal more damage with other weapons. Definitely pick that one up and upgrade it to max. That, psychoshock and the mind controls should make every encounter trivial

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jose posted:

What's the best way to get mineral material because i never have enough

Recycle all your extra booze and guns a nd spare parts and suit repair kits and psi hypos and foods with nonorganic components and all your extra qbeam ammo.

Also create scrap piles and drag everything in an area into them and usr a recyclet grenade, usually good for like six mats or so.

You have Dismantle right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I have a stun gun for this, but I guess I need something else to spend my massive collection of neuromods on.

The typhon ability has a big aoe that lets you hit multiple enemies at once, deals a good amount of damage, hit from further away than even a fully loaded gun... and allows you to one two punch them by following up with the stun gun (which will deal more damage since the enemies are disabled)

If you like the stun gun then youll love the typhon ability imo, since its basically a long range AoE stun gun

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

GUI posted:

Most people don't finish games they buy/rent. Developers know this too which is why most games run out of steam at the end and resort to backtracking, reusing assets, or rushing the ending, it saves time and is cheaper.

I would have been happy if they just put every one of the final pieces in the Bridge/Arboretum area.

So.... many.... load screens.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jose posted:

Oh right. I thought i had to build up a full charge on something using the qbeam to kill it

Psychoshock or stun makes it deal more damage faster to most enemies too it seems. But yeah when fully upgraded its really really good but you really want to lead with another weapon against bigget enemies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You need to not kill people, esp. Igwe, until after you get what they offer, for the Awkward Ride Home achievement. Not sure what went wrong aside from that for you. Did you hunt down all the survivors from the security terminals?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 28, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gun him down just before wiping Dahls memory

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Waste Management/Water Supply is one of the most important optional areas in the game. Took me forever to find the switch to turn the power on, but it's actually right in plain sight. Whoops.

The Psi Water quest basically makes typhon powers much more useable since every water source let's you quickly restore psi

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Materials run low for those who favour security weapons (or have poor resource management skills). Exotics run low for those who favour typhon skills.

I don't know who organics run low for hahah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Or use a leverage 2 object to displace them with repeated pummeling.

You can probably also shapeshift your way into the room although I haven't tested that for sure. Does the Phantom Teleport let you go through fences or moveable scenery? I'm just realizing I never tried.

So I have a question, something I missed:

What was the point of the whole beginning area? Like what was the supposed rationale for that stuff? Why was Morgan in that situation to begin with, what was the supposed end?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

The excuse the plot gives is that they wanted to make sure the typhon mods wouldn't interfere with any other mods, so they had to remove all of Morgan's preexisting neuromods, which meant resetting his/her memory back to the moment they first joined TranStar. The excuse runs a little thin since there's no evidence that neuromods have ever interfered with each other in any other context, and there's no rationale given for why the tests required Morgan to believe that he/she was still a new TranStar employee. You could speculate on various possible reasons, but the game never really says any of them.

Personally I think the real reason is Chris Avellone loves his amnesiac player crutch and will lean on it every chance he gets.

But I think it becomes obvious quite quickly that it's just an excuse. That was for the original plan, where Morgan was re-briefed every time he had his neuromods removed and put back to work. That's when he made all the operators, because that process was messing with him. But that's very much not the process you woke up in at the end: By the end they weren't rebriefing you, they weren't letting you recover, they were simply pulling them out and putting them back in.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Captain Gordon posted:

Actual question: There was a quest on the Bridge, in the Captain's Quarter, where you find what looks like a feed for a shuttle that left Talos 1, that's heading to "point Seattle". There is a countdown on the screen, and an option to remotely detonate the shuttle. I thought that the fake chef escaped on it and blew it up, thinking also that it would be horrible if there was a mimic on board (and there is always a mimic on board) and the shuttle was heading to Earth/another station. Turns out, it wasn't the chef at all - so who did I blow up? When I finished the game, I got the Do No Harm/I and Thou achievements, so I assume there were no humans on board. Hopefully, it was literally a shuttle full of mimics, because gently caress mimics.

Oh no, it was full of people. There were details on one of the computers. They'd just been running a supply mission and were happily returning to earth, they left about half an hour before the outbreak was noticed so there might not have been any mimics on board.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, the enemy AI in this game was actually really disappointing. So much fun stuff could have been done with the mimics and other critters and it really wasn't.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

redreader posted:

I saw the nightmare behind a door, so I went an alternate route using an upper level in the same area. It never saw me. It followed me all the time though and moved from one side of the room below me to another side of the room. I changed rooms like twice and it followed me into the new room each time. The nightmare has some kind of bullshit tether to you. It always knows where you are and keeps on knowing where you are. It doesn't know how stairs work though.

It's got a tether if you have typhon mods and it's tighter the more you have, from what I understand.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You can also leave them somewhere if you want to return later, I assume. And you have a bad memory for places but not names.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The games shooting is serviceable but its not designed around shooting the way a game Doom is, esp in terms of environments, and it ultimately fails to deliver on a lot of the cool opportunities it promises. It could have done great things making you feel hunted and it never really gets it right.

But its not terrible, and it supports the stuff outside combat well enough to build the immersion and power fantasy aspects up to enjoyable levels.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

How does someone go through the game and not get a Q-beam? There are so many.

I was seriously asking myself, "aren't these things supposed to be, like, rare ultra-science? Why are there a bunch of them scattered across the station?"

I guess now I know!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ErKeL posted:

I had to google how to find it because I was getting mad at how much ammo for it I had. After I grabbed the first one the fuckers started tumbling out of cupboards and poo poo just to make me angrier.

Thank you for this image. I just imagine you looking it up, finding the beam lab, going through all that poo poo then returning to the main quest and opening a door to find a room just littered with Q-beams.

This game has some loot containers with random content, right? I wonder if there might be an element of random chance to it if you miss any of the 4 fixed non-container locations I can think of.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Quick question: are the suit chipsets randomized? I found the Kinesthetic Assister (buffs stamina regen) pretty early on in my first play-through, but it was nowhere to be found when I was doing a "no needles" run on nightmare. I dunno if it was the change in difficulty level, or if I had just gotten used to having that chipset, but running out of stamina while spamming the wrench was a much more common outcome this time around.

I was kind of counting on being able to find it, but I managed to poopsock my way through anyway. There was lots of running away, especially from those electrical phantoms.

Some are randomized but I am pretty sure that one is fixed. Also an absolute must have if doing wrench combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

For those who missed the Q-beam, how the hell did you miss the one in the freezer that the Chef potentially locks you in. It's like, right there, on a shelf, big and shiny. I could understand maybe missing the three or four q-beams on the way to crew quarters, but how the heck did you miss THAT one