Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

Holy crap, the best LPer LPs the best game.

Analysis: the music in this game is loving fantastic, I literally can't think of a game with a better soundtrack. Proposal: click the links quickly.

E: sadly some of the effect is lost, since part of what makes it so great is how it changes based on the situation.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's both, it's a pun.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The only sad thing about Ending T is that they didn't do a unique loading screen for it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

maybe don't do that

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Which Which Yoko Taro/Cavia game gets the loving weirdest the loving quickest

Well, Nier begins with a sad dad punching ghosts in the ruins of Tokyo and then immediately smash cuts to "1312 YEARS LATER" and offers zero explanation for the next 30 hours.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

vdate posted:

Is it just me or do the lighting effects on Adam's attacks (among other things) make it impossible to see what's going on? For example, in the 'he has a flash kick now' screenshot (and the equivalent section of the highlights video), I kinda had to take your word for it.

It's kinda true in game, as well. Adam loves adding bright white laser hair trails spiraling off in random directions to everything he does, complete with tons of bloom, and it sometimes makes it hard to see what the gently caress he's doing.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

t h i s c a n n o t c o n t i n u e :kimchi:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Speedball posted:

Something I like to say about this game regarding us calling the enemies "machines" when technically everyone's a machine. Think of it like how humans use the word "beast" to describe some mindless animal, despite that we are technically animal life forms. The robots look like primitive wind-up toys trying to kill you, while the androids, particularly the YoRHa androids, look much more sophisticated. They have superior weaponry and tech. The only reason the robots haven't been wiped out is they seem to outnumber the androids a thousand to one, even though they get torn apart easily.

The machines talking is also apparently some new development; if it ever happened in the past, it's been a while since it's happened. (Didn't Beepy talk?)

This really struck me when 9S says this on first seeing Adam: "An android? No, it's a machine!" Android is the perfect word for what Adam is: a humanoid robot. Heck, even the stubbies are androids, really. But they're not ~our~ kind of android, so they get called machines instead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Psycho Knight posted:

Is it ever stated anywhere in the game where in the world the City Ruins are located? Or any hints as to where it might be?

I don't think it's stated outright, but yes, there are hints later on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The best of it for me is the receptionist bot's "Ummm... welllll...." afterwards, as though they'd been rehearsing this for weeks and only just now realized that, having exploded all 6 actors, this would be a one-night showing.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

You can hear the original "Pisseth off" at 1:50. Maybe someone here can provide a literal translation.
Apparently it's "bakachin ga!" (I had to look up a version with Japanese text) which is sort of hard to translate. -chin is really cutesy and childish and insulting depending on the context, like "sweetie-pie" or something. I get the feeling there's a pun or something there but it's not one I get.

v Yeah, that's pretty close.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 30, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Renoistic posted:

A designer who likes to start from the "back or buttocks" when designing a character, mind. He also designed the characters in FF Tactics , FFXII and Vagrant Story. Everything makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mMN-8rSx_s&t=159s

Top-down design is a fad; bottom-up is the way to go.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I.
See.
A.
Head.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They could definitely have stood to cut out one of the EMP shield orb fights. And all the trash flier segments. Ten minutes of flying slooooooowly past Grun's face as he fires at nothing really killed the drama for me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That Large Sword + Combat Bracer animation :allears:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't need to click the music link because this song has been stuck in my head continuously for months.

b e c o m e a s g o d s (ha) b e c o m e a s g o d s (ho) b e c o m e a s g o d s

megane fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 20, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nervous posted:

Edit: Have an Emil to start a new page.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's explicitly what they're designed to look like. Stubbies in particular have those exact bracket-shaped feet.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hacking would be way more fun if enemies -- bosses at the very least -- had unique minigames of their own. Instead, nearly everything uses the same pool of, like, 12 setups that you see a hundred times each over the course of the game. That, plus the fact that time freezes while you're doing the minigame, completely destroys any sort of connection to the story or tension in the fight you might have felt. Hell, hacking pauses the dialogue, so you constantly cut people off mid-sentence to do your hacking thing for a few seconds for the bajillionth time.

9S gameplay feels like a party where you're sitting in a corner playing Angry Birds on your phone, while 2B is dancing and having fun.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 8, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It ends at Ending A, yes. I don't think they mentioned any spoilers during the run, but don't quote me on that.

A pretty good watch, though; Halfcoordinated is great.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

I find the idea that he just grabs random people he knows and gets them to do interviews posing as him to be very amusing. I hope he actually does that more often than anyone realizes.

There's actually no such person as Yoko Taro. He exists only as a collective identity worn by a bunch of people, all of whom think they're just covering for him this one time.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

9S had dignity?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

become ipods

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno what it means that watching 9S get stone-cold chumped is so amusing. I can't imagine it being half as funny if 2B were the one getting thrown.

Also I can totally hear the angry hand-dryer noise that move makes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

...can this... continue?
:thunk:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sora, Donald, Goofy, I'm glad you could finally loving make it. You're just in time to help me stab the poo poo out of my goddamn sisters... every... last... one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I had to wait until now for it not to be a spoiler, but: notice that the YorHa motto is "for the glory of mankind." Not "for mankind," not "for the defense of mankind," but "for the glory."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Route B has some fun bits, but man, I could have done without having to fight Grun again.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Momomo posted:

Doesn't the Japanese version also use male pronouns too? It makes sense to keep it the same, since Weight of the World specifically says she's only one girl.

That's right. It's not like it's incorrect for women to use "boku" but it definitely implies a (young) male speaker.

I'd argue that the Japanese lyrics generally sound a lot more like 9S's perspective, too. I mean, "Carrying the Weight of the World" vs. "Song of the Broken World" is a pretty blatant difference.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

YoRHa are cutting edge, next-gen androids designed to kick as much rear end as possible. Same kind of thing as all the other normal androids, just newer and better.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A2 always sounds like she has just the worst loving hangover and is running on nothing but black coffee and Advil.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's like they sat down to build a boss fight specifically tailored to make B-Mode (and, frankly, A2 in general) seem as useless as possible. A highly-mobile, multi-part boss which spams long-range attacks at you and has lengthy sections where you can't hit it from the ground, used as the tutorial for a pure melee character's temporary single-target-burst-damage mode that punishes you if you don't spend its window smashing things. :psyduck:

What they should have done is give us a big, slow, tank of a boss which has a defensive mode that makes it highly resistant to damage, but staggers when you hit it enough and then takes high damage briefly. B-Mode would be great in a fight like that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Glazius posted:

Is Earth just 75% abandoned doomsday weapons by mass at this point?

And every single last one of them has a tragic backstory where they long only to be hugged or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somebody told Caim not to die alone and he took it in maybe a different way than they intended :unsmigghh:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

It seems doubly weird that all the other androids would hate Popodev for "killing off humanity", when none of the other Androids are supposed to know that humanity is gone. If humans are supposed to be doing fine, hanging out on the moon, what is there to be so drat pissed at the twins for?

There was also a period when all the androids knew that the humans were dead. There was a file at some point that mentioned they were all despondent and unwilling to fight because of it. Project YoRHa was created to spread the lie that the humans were actually alive on the moon, so that everyone would cheer up and keep the war going.

So it may be that the androids of that time used the death of humanity as their justification for hating on D&P, and then later on they came to believe that the justification wasn't true... but kept hating them anyway.

Humans, of course, would never do such a thing.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 13, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

HR12345 posted:

With that update title, how has nobody drawn 9S as Tommy Wiseau going “YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, 2B”?

I did NOT **** her, I did NOOTT!!! Oh hi Emil.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's an easy way to have somebody get the poo poo kicked out of them, but then it doesn't matter because haha I am an evil chessmaster genius with no concern for the lives of my subordinates and this was my plan all along. See also: SPECTRE.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh hey, I can finally mention the thing. A2 mentions 2E/2B's job regarding 9S... but think about all the other androids that 9S works with. 2B is a no-nonsense soldier lady who orders him around and refuses to engage with his jokes and so on. And then there's... 153... the Commander... and O21. All of whom are no-nonsense soldier ladies who order him around and refuse to engage with his jokes etc. O21 in particular is a huge contrast from O6.

Seems like the higher-ups have 9S pegged. They've basically built a whole support team to keep him from getting any funny ideas. Plus 2B/2E to... handle things once they inevitably failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Hey 2B, don't you think it's strange that-"

"No."

"But Command said that-"

"NO."

"Oh! Maybe the humans are actually-"

"Oh for gently caress's sake, Nines."

"Hey, you called m-"

(sword noises)