Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If Iginla wanted to win the Cup so bad he'd had have told Bylsma to quit playing him on his off loving wing

Anyway what's the deal with Joe Thornton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'm glad this Olympics bullshit is over and Crosby and Malkin and Kessel better not go anyway

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

gonna be hilarious when the league gets locked out again

Yeah this one is really really tough to swallow.

The NHL covering up concussion problems and such is a way bigger problem than a money fight with the IOC and IIHF, who are also scummy and greedy

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Michael Bayleaf posted:

The only time I ever watch hockey is the olympics so lol

You're literally why the NHL is stopping it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lol Ovi couldn't even pretend to care about the upcoming playoffs or anything. No wonder Russian players get stereotyped like that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Would not at all be surprised if this spurs a bunch of players to "retire" to the KHL this offseason.
gently caress you very much, Bettman et al.

Nobody important is leaving the NHL over this.

Did the PA make any kind of counter-offer to the NHL saying "extend the CBA 3 years and you can go"?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Canada and USA hockey won't take any NHL guys because they get NHL money themselves.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Toronto fans are for once not going to be too hard on the team, I think, because if this is our first year back from a rebuild we have good things to come.

Hey maybe players should wear full face protection?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh, why would you protect your $50m investments with a $200 piece of plastic?

Isn't full face protection, by rule, only for guys with an injury and they have to get rid of it when they are better

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dave Gove, who used to be a Penguins minor leaguer and coached the Wheeling Nailers, overdosed on heroin yesterday. Expect another story soon about the dangers of opioids and painkillers in a violent sport, and how little teams care about handing them out.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is that aliexpress? They will make banners of anything. Have you seen the Buffalo Bills Stanley Cup Champions banner?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

toe knee hand posted:

most of those really suck honestly, no historical or regional rivalries.

Rivalries are baloney and they change, grow and die all the time and the playoffs should go back to 1-8

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

For real, if that last series is what "letting them play" means then I'll take tightly-called penalty-fests every game.

No other sport chokes the life out of their stars like hockey does. Baseball might do their best to squash personalities but star players still win games there.

If the NBA was reffed like playoff hockey it'd make that 1994 Knicks/Rockets final look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The hockey teams who have actually won have a bunch of stars on them while you'll get weirdo World Series winners like 2002 Angels or 2005 White Sox who didn't have any name guys.

There's no such thing as "playoff refereeing" in baseball

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Avs and Flames gotta ditch that Reebok poo poo

It's appalling how long they stuck with those designs even as one by one, teams rolled back or eliminated all the dumb poo poo Reebok invented to go with the Edge jerseys.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

Finally, we'll land at its natural conclusion where we all realize that an overwhelming majority of hockey revenue is generated by gate and concessions and not television deals.

This hasn't been true since they cancelled season. It's WHY they cancelled an entire season.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The teams don't get any extra money from those outdoor games. What the Penguins got in exchange for the Stadium Series home game, for example, was a makeup cost for losing a PPG Arena home game. The money on top of that, the NHL kept.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lost Season posted:

I think the big issue with Kansas City is that the arena they'd use is owned by the same group that owns the Kings, and the league really wants to avoid the conflict of interest. Plus, I don't know that KC has anyone motivated to bring hockey to the town in the same way Seattle, Quebec, and Las Vegas do.

I seem to recall reading an article not long ago that the KC arena was making money hand over fist with just concerts, the odd college basketball game/tournament, and other small time stuff and that it was proof maybe arenas like that don't need an anchor tenant any more.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Suspicious posted:

The (dumb) argument is that 3 point games would invalidate all the old point records, as if the loser point doesn't already do that.

It can't just be this. We had regular season OT added, loser points added, shootouts added, the regular season has gone from (in the expansion era) 74-76-78-80-84-82 games, none of that is consistent or fair.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Either Steve doesn't know that guy as well as he thinks, or he's a bigoted shitbag too

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's a big gap to be sure for #1 but he's the #2 biggest dipshit named Ted in DC

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

"League favors X" conspiracy breakdown

Internet posters / Talk radio callers: to be expected
Losing player in heat of moment: understandable
Team owner earnest and considered belief: embarrassing

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Should have drafted Malkin instead of Ovechkin

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nothing is as bad as the last few Nike NFL jerseys with the awful looking collars..

Good news! They actually got rid of those.

Bad news for the NHL is I absolutely do not trust Fanatics to make replicas while Adidas makes authentics next year. I'm really glad I got a white sewn Crosby jersey with the 50 and 100 patches this year because I honestly don't know if I'll ever buy another one.

Honestly all the leagues are loving up their jerseys. The NBA is selling ads, MLB is putting the UA thing on the chest, gently caress it all.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

A buddy of mine buys all his jerseys from some Chinese company and they're literally better than the official jerseys. fight strap and all.

The knockoffs are all poo poo unless you are buying soccer jerseys, because they don't sew anything

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Of course, no argument from me there. I have official NHL jerseys too and there's no comparison. If I had the money I'd only get official ones.

I'm just saying that thinking the Chinese jerseys don't have sewing (so I guess the logos are screenprinted?) is objectively wrong.

If you try to sew a knockoff jersey it will 100% be poo poo

If you screen print a jersey from a template it will be indistinguishable

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

These are really bad. Look closely, there are no more crests. There are literally holes in the logo where the base color matches.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo you aren't kidding :stare:

Hey but jerseys will be 3% lighter now so yay!

I'm glad there's no ads yet like basketball but these are poo poo and I have little hope that the Fanatics brand replicas will be worth a drat either.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

hifi posted:

losing the alternate jerseys is a war crime

That's only for this season. 07-08 didn't have alternate jerseys either

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

bewbies posted:

What about that post led you to think that I believe alcoholism is limited only to professional hockey players?

The way your post only mentioned professional hockey players

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Pirates horning in on the Penguins is pretty funny. Three Penguins were alive last time the Pirates won a world series. Kunitz wasn't even a month old

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ahoy hoy, lowly mortals

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Krime posted:

Let me be clear... Adidas will gently caress this up.

Remember when Reebok had to replace every single jersey in the league because the water repellent fabric made everyone's gloves fill with sweat

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

2DCAT posted:

When do the non-poo poo jerseys go on fire sale?

If you have a team store or local place they probably already are.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

"we have to stop knockoffs"

"oh and replica jerseys are like $200 and authentics are like $400"

Hmmmmmmm

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

No one has ever come up to me at the arena or elsewhere and called me out on wearing a fake/knockoff jersey. Best $200 I ever saved.

I'm never going to go up to someone and say it but knockoff jerseys are "you get what you pay for" 101

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You can't tell because the Avs have one color letters but in the other teams they showed today multiple color letters are now the same single layer screen print poo poo as current replica jerseys

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Krime posted:

Just watched MAF's locker cleanout interview.

:cry:

I'm pretty sure my first post on the forums were about MAF during his rookie year and 99% of my avatars have featured him as well.

I'm going to have to drive down to Vegas and check him out.

I know he has to go but it's still tugging at my strings.

I met him and Ryan Whitney at a bar in Wilkes-Barre during the 2004 Calder Cup playoffs when they were doing a radio show. Both of them were hilarious and cool even then. And hey, even Whitney had a big part in the this cup run by, you know, getting traded for Kunitz.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Did you see all the stuff Schultz was photoshopped into? Moon landing, tiananmen square, etc

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Other legendary 3rd round picks of the Pittsburgh Penguins include Mike Robertson, Alex Schoenborn, Dylan Sadowy, Max Gaede, and Harrison Ruopp.

Also Robert Bortuzzo, Bryan Rust, and Kris Letang

People were boo hooing about the 2nd round picks we gave up for Douglas Murray. Try to find a Penguins 2nd round pick that turned out to be worth a drat literally ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Derek Engelland talked MAF into going to Vegas months ago. It's happening, and it's the best possible result for the Penguins.

Also goddamn I want him and James Neal there, it will better than any of the Hangover movies.

• Locked thread