Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've never liked that betacam look. It's possibly the funky lighting as well, but I've always thought it looked like trash. Cassanova had the same problem. A lot of the time, the flesh tones look vaguely radioactive. Not in that picture of Adam, but that has other problems, like how the colour on the shadowed side of his face bleeds into the wall paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The two worst episodes of DW ever, that goddamn embarrassment of a Zygon two-parter in Series Nine.

I know a lot of people love _that_ speech, (not here, obviously) but I honestly think it's a ridiculous rejection of everything I think Doctor Who is or represents. There's the occasional surface flicker of something that sounds like it could make sense, but actually it's completely horrible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Class is bad, guys.

I'm not saying don't watch, watch what you want.

Just maybe don't get your hopes up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm interested in who the Doctor was speaking to after Bill left.

That, and whether the Doctor who picked Bill up in the TARDIS is from significantly later than the rest of the episode.

I'm spoiler coding the next bit, as I reckon it ties into a spoiler I read somewhere, but I think anything I suggest was already made implicit by one of this season's trailers.

Is the Doctor who picks Bill up at the end a dying one, doing one last lap around the universe just like David Tennant's Doctor did? And, from there, will he then die mid way through the season, thus dropping Bill back into the life of a cantankerous earlier version of the Doctor, one still ensconced at the university (and still working with Nardole)?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kroton Voord team-up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And Waters of Mars a few years before that, and that special "Introducing Bill" clip just last year.

Basically there has to be a Dalek appearance every year, or the show has to pay through the nose to get them back ever again.

That's not the official story, btw. They're always denied it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know the answer to this question is "Or there wouldn't be a story" buuuut

Why did no-one programme the robots not to murder people and turn their bones into fertiliser? Like, I feel like that's one of the first things you do.

Also the first thing the robots want to do is exploit the humans? For what? What could human beings possibly give robots?

And the humans are going to, what, live in perfect harmony with a new lifeform that murdered a bunch of them, promptly forgot about it, and now want to exploit their labour? That's a healthy power dynamic.

And I have no idea how that kid could so quickly go back to hanging out with his adorable robot pal after he found out that it ate his family.

It's like the entire thing completely lost the plot in the final act. Shame. I really liked it until that point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

There's no source either way and he's probably just, as you say, exploring other stuff in his career and busy, but he definitely did have some issues with the direction on the show, enough so that he found the experience unpleasant. It doesn't help that professional, polite actors would definitely say "Oh yeah, wonderful fans, not time for me to go back to that yet, but I hope all the best for the show its & current actors" is just the kind of thing someone would say whether they hated the show or really were just taking some space from it.

I get what you're saying, but everything I've read about Chris indicates that he's not big on that kind of bullshit. He'll be tactful, but he's not false.

See his recent interview at Vox, where he talks about The Leftovers and how he'd prefer it if every religion in the world would be better if their leaders renounced their faiths. He's not a gladhander.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

He was definitely up for doing the 50th if Euros Lyn (or Joe Ahearne, I can't remember which) had be hired to direct it.

Ahearne, and I always thought it was notable that neither of them came back, not just Chris. Especially after Ahearne was the most prolific, and probably the best, director the first season had (and came up with a number of iconic shots).

(He also did Ultraviolet, he's a great director.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CobiWann posted:

The gently caress is "bi erasure?"

This is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqJTKdznaM

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

I will note that this also comes from within the gay/lesbian communities, as some of them have used bisexuality as a stepping stone along the path of coming out. As a result, some of them deny that people who continue to identify as bisexual are actually telling the truth.

Yeah, it's a rejection of that whole "bi now, gay later" thing.

Bi representations on television get hit with a lot of poo poo, because it's generally hard to demonstrate that a character is definitely bi while telling a romance in the way television tends to, without going on for years and years. See: The 100, for a recent example of this kind of fandom debacle.

(Though, yes, a lot of the outrage is fueled by jilted shippers, yeah. T^hey're harder to dismiss when they bundle with obsessions up with actual decent points, and it just ends up poisoning the well.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Extremis was frustrating -- one of those wanky writing exercise episodes where the characters work out that everything is a dream and then die nihilistically. You end up feeling cheated because anything you invested time in basically doesn't matter. (See also: most of The Wedding Of River Song, for something that's similarly frustrating.)

Random Stranger posted:

Forest of the Night would still have been a terrible episode without those lines, it just wouldn't be a contender for worst Doctor Who episode.

This is the same episode where Clara -- who was banging on about duty of care not three episodes ago -- manages to lose a child known for wandering off during the middle of a crisis. Twice.

Also she and Danny, despite being English and Maths teachers at a high school, are somehow the ones responsible for chaperoning primary school children to a history museum for an overnight stay -- something which I'm pretty sure is not a thing.

I mean, there's that "logic" to parse in the very set up of the episode before you even get into the tree stuff, or the missing sister, or anything else at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And Turn Left, where almost nothing in the episode actually "happened" but which was still an interesting story and still affected how the audience viewed Donna.

If anything, Turn Left is essential for making the end of Donna's arc land as strongly as it does. It's important that we emotionally, unconsciously understand what Donna's losing when she loses her memory, as much as comprehend what it means -- and Turn Left does a pretty good job of suggesting some of the life she'll end up going back to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

From what I've heard about his plans he's getting a writer's room together and wants to really break away from the format the new show has fallen into. Don't know how successful he will be allowed to be given what I've also heard about his hiring.

Eh, I thought it was generally agreed that the writers he hired for his seasons of Torchwood were all surprisingly good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, if they want to do an interesting story with the Doctor being blind, why not just use a known enemy for whom eyesight is a real issue like the Weeping Angels, or the Silence, or even something new along the same lines? You are massively hosed if you can't look at the Angels, after all. :ohdear:.

Don't the adaptations made to the Doctor's sonic sunnies basically solve that problem, though? He's having the information constantly streamed to his brain.

And since they don't see to actually copy the image, just create HUD icons that demonstrate where beings should be, that would solve the image-of-an-angle thing.

(I mean, yeah, your point still stands.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well the Doctor is President of Earth...

God, that was a sloppy retcon.

I mean let's be honest, there was no way that was the original plan, right? Right?

I honestly doubt he had much of a plan, but whatever. He's always just sort of flitted around and grabbed on to whatever felt right, and dropped them pretty solidly when he was done. Kind of impulsively, honestly. e.g. the Silence's TARDIS, whatever was going on with Clara's grandmother, Kovarian (who is still alive!?), Ohlia, whatever his plan was with Tasha Lem.

I think it's most obvious with the way each of his sets of supporting cast briefly overlap before being dropped for the next lot. River --> Paternoster --> UNIT --> Missy --> Nardole. Missy's had a bit more staying power, but that's sort of generally the way he works.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

I always kinda felt bad for Clara's actress. She seemed like a perfectly fine person, but the way the character was written most of the time you could have replaced her with a cardboard cutout that said "COMPANION" on it and basically be the same.

True. My feelings towards Coleman were always mitigated by the fact that I found a lot of her acting choices really offputting (the way she held herself, and the way she'd choose to use her arms in a scene, or whatever), not helped by the costuming. But she always had an uphill battle.

I know her latter seasons were meant to introduce a lot more nuance to her characterisation, but I never saw much consistency or discipline to it -- something I think all Moffat companions suffer from, to a greater or lesser extent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

apophenium posted:

I really need to buy that one one of these days. McCoy might not get the best material Big Finish has to offer, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain of him phoning in a performance.

He used to do that constantly, though. He's gotten a lot, lot better.

(I'm talking specifically about phoning in some Big Finish performances. I've never thought he was a bad actor.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Whithouse has always been outspoken -- the final season of Being Human had the BBC run by zombies.

He's very much left, though, where Harness is... centre right? This has basically the exact opposite moral to Inversion of the Zygons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I'm still waiting for an explanation for why they drive around in Egyptian Pyramids.

Edit: Which are referred to as Cathedrals.

Given all the little ways things don't line up here -- the Monks don't speak, for one -- I really wonder just how much of this script's problems come down to Moffat loving up the big picture.

(I think, if you look at it as a standalone, this episode is actually fine.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19LnmVoWyE

In which the Doctor confronts an Ice Warrior and Bill meets a mysterious figure in a suit

Gotta love that Ice Warrior helmet jiggling up and down inside its suit neck.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

This was basically every villain in the NAs. "They're more powerful than the Daleks! They can wipe out a whole fleet with a single thought!"

(Because Virgin couldn't get the rights to the Daleks and decided to be really childish about it.)

Not that they didn't still try to work around the issue.

I remember one of the writers (Craig Hinton, in GodEngine, I think) worked out that they usage rites prohibited the use of the Dalek name and casing, but not the actual mutant creatures themselves. -- so he wrote a story where the slimy bastards go hogwild on a bunch of Ice Warriors in the lead up to their invasion of Earth.

And remnant Dalek technology drives the plot of Kate Orman's Return Of The Living Dad -- along with a friendly Auton spatula, who saves the day by murdering the poo poo out of a Nazi.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've never liked Blink that much. I've never been able to care about the characters, and the dumb sound effects ruin the Angels for me. (The only time they've been effective for me is in their two-parter.)

This has been my daily bad opinion in the Doctor Who thread. You may brickbat me now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Burkion posted:

I like the ending of Deep Breath and I am thankful they never answered which happened- because it's irrelevant. The Doctor made him die, one way or the other.

Yeah -- in this case, the difference between talking someone to death and pushing them off a ledge was basically just optics.

I mean, I don't buy that Clara -- and particularly Bill -- would travel with someone who acts like Capaldi's Doctor does, given his sheer deficit of empathy, but that's another issue.

(I personally hope that, as Capaldi's regenerating, someone is as brutally impatient with his sacrifice as he's frequently been with the deaths of others. I've always thought this to be a staggeringly nasty character trait, if clearly deliberate.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

Speaking of controversial preferences, I think I might be the only person whose favorite DW episode is Paradise Towers.

Nah, Paradise Towers is pretty drat good. Not my favourite (The Happiness Patrol) but I really like it and a lot of the ideas it's playing with.

(Which Kangs is best Kangs?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, Nick Briggs must be a fan. Otherwise why would he remake it _three_ times in the last four years.

Paradise Towers... but in an airport!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/spaceport-fear-708

Paradise Towers... but in a parking garage!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-high-price-of-parking-1257

Paradise Towers... but in an Amazon warehouse!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-warehouse-874

(All with the seventh doctor too!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Crazy decision, anecdotally talking to my gf and other female friends they almost uniformly list Clara as thw main reason they lost interest in Who.

Hey, snap. It's the same among my gal pals.

(Not that it probably means very much, as I know the character had a huge female tumblr following -- Including that one that was obsessed with Clara's status as a "wannabe tragic heroine". Project much? -- but I digress. It's interesting to note, is all.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Nice little bottle episode. One of those 'and that's how it happened!' stories with no agenda but entertainment.

You mean "bottle episode" to be standalone, right?

Bottle episode's more of an industry term, to refer to an episode that's cheap, and uses those budgetary restraints as formal scripting restraints.

e.g. The Edge Of Destruction, or pretty much any episode where everyone is stuck at their homebase and then menaced by a cheap invisible monster or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Well the crows aren't gay (they might be women though), so obviously that takes no screentime whatsoever and is completely unobjectionable.

They were black though. Someone call the Daily Mirror.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Namtab posted:

I just rewatched dalek and it holds up pretty well

It's great. Jubilee is greater, but it's pretty great.

(Also I'm pretty sure Thomas Pynchon thought so too, since he seems to reference the facility at one point in Bleeding Edge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, if we consider Spare Parts (and you loving KNOW Moffat did) it squares, it didn't take Yvonne much to remember enough of her family to go back to them. I can imagine that the original Mondasian Cybermen just don't have good emotional dampeners.

I'm not sure it's the same thing as with Spare Parts, unfortunately. Yvonne only remembers her family because she's not actually converted. Her operation left her only partly lobotomised, thanks to a power outage, and her personality reverts to a childlike state.

We do see a handful of other converted Mondasians, and they're completely emotionless.

(Spare Parts is a really good story, and Marc Platt is a great writer.)

• Locked thread