Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm worried about my team because they have not yet fired Desjardins, Benning, or Linden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yellowcar posted:

It's gonna happen again~

https://youtu.be/u8GCH5qf9IY

(And again and again and again)

:discourse:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I am excited to watch the Leafs get stomped

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

lol Andersen

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The bigger problem is that most of the Canadian teams are managed by morons

at all levels, or just the nhl?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Talking him into making the toxx that got him banned from posting in hockey threads for the summer is my greatest achievement in SAS.

agreed

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

grack posted:

Penguins gonna put in Sestito next game and he's going to literally kill someone try to fight someone poorly on the ice.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Leafs/Caps was suuuuuper close last night and I felt like the caps were the more dangerous team when they had possession

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

bump_fn posted:

can someone find the post where i said hawks would make it to the cup to laugh at me thanks

bump_fn posted:

Hawks / bruins cup final

ha ha

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

grack posted:

I'm no fan of Pittsburgh but Columbus, holy christ, you are making it hard to cheer for you in this series.

Torts deserves no cheering

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Chuch posted:

WSH/PIT and BOS/MTL in the 2nd round, make it happen please. Hail Satan.

another BOS/MTL series would be pretty good, but so would OTT/MTL, and also gently caress the bruins, so go Sens

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

grack posted:

Yeah that AV guy is so bad, huh? Rangers should totally fire him in the offseason.

or like, right away

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

e: This aint the gdt!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hey RAS, AV said your best line was your 4th that game

which line is Glass on?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

dudes getting hit so hard they flip into the other team's bench

also dudes missing their hits and going into the other team's bench

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

guillotine

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, let's check in on Tim Peel!

Tim Peel is not biased, he is a force of nature, an agent of chaos

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

a false posted:

my dad texted me "kreider eats the corn out of my poo poo" last night and like 30 seconds later he set up the ot gwg

hahaha your dad rules

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

stab posted:

Ya they were one loving point apart.

The series was a coin flip

And wow wouldnt you guess that the team that had better scorers beat the team full of useless pluggers

Just let it sink in folks, the last Habs goal of the season was scored by Alexei Emelin.

Lock Him Up! Lock Him Up!

to a contract extension

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

This absolutely needs to be avatar'd for someone in PrAS

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

"Look kid, you might think your hot poo poo, but that guy there? Tanner? He's my boy. You loving see what I'm saying? You better get your head in the game or your rear end is in the pressbox!"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

So caps are gonna get chewed on while the pens do all the work?

or the pens run out and the caps end up back on top

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

grack posted:

Lundqvist stops like 300 million good shots and the Rags lose on a bullshit shot from the goal line that bounces off one of their own guys.

THE SYSTEM WORKS, I guess

yeah?

e: ps - thanks for trading Bonino for Sutter Benning - you loving stupid rear end in a top hat

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 28, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

gag poop?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Hot Brains Can't Melt Good Teams

:perfect:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Look Around You posted:

You forgot the follow up. Kessel called him an idiot and then

https://twitter.com/pensinsidescoop/status/859807505148497920

:laffo: This Jay Beagle guy is alright

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

blow up the core of the team that just won the president's trophy huh?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the Oilers have looked super dangerous against both the Sharks and the Ducks - including tonight - and I hate that they're probably going to be that good next year if they get another year of good goaltending out of talbot

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Kilza posted:

I really don't like blaming the refs, but holy poo poo the refs really decided Game 4 tonight. First Ducks goal was goalie interference (yet it counted), second Ducks goal was offside (yet it couldn't be challenged), fourth Ducks goal (the OT winner) should have been icing leading up to it. Oilers win that game if not for that bullshit reffing.

The Fix Is In and we will lose the series. :fork:

hey did you catch Ron pointing out in the intermission that the contact was completely outside the crease? With a still-frame and everything?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's not the rule.

it's not, that's true - I'll go ahead and grab my post from the gdt because I'd actually like to have some discussion about it rather than just insults:

JawKnee posted:

Duke Chin posted:

he still. has. to. be. given. the. opportunity. to. make. the. save. you. dumbs.

why is this so har
and there it is.

bias > the actual rules I guess okay :shrug:

he had the opportunity to make the save. Moreover, let's have a look at a part of rule 69:

quote:

Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper's ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgement of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.

Ignore the bolding (mine) for a moment: I think the refs probably concluded that that contact was incidental, and the replay shows that it is initiated outside the crease. Now Corey Perry is a poo poo, but I doubt he meant to perfectly position his backswinging foot into Talbots.

e: forgot to address the bolding! A question about it, seems like the coach challenge overrides it? What's the point of that part of the rule now?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the way it's written it seems to imply that the refs can't make any further judgements on such a play off of a video review, but fair enough. That wasn't why I re-posted that though: the contact was incidental, in that Perry (probably) didn't intend it (he would have had to have somehow seen Talbot's foot outside the crease from the back of his head), and in any case Talbot could have still made the save if he could have seen it, which was due to a screen - that was not affected by having his foot bumped into by Perry. Seems perfectly in line with 69.2 to me.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

Here's the rest of that rule

Can you provide a source on that? I'm looking at the rulebook here and can't find that particular phrasing. Did you edit it? Or paraphrase it?

e: also I can't get that video to play :( seems like I'm not the only one either

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 4, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

http://www.nhlofficials.com/rule78.asp

e: twitter gifs and vids have been flaky for a few hours. i've been trying to post that for a while and it finally worked for me, but everything but talbot's blade is in the crease, if that doesn't mean he's in the crease, then goalies have to literally watch their toes.

That's odd, rule 78 in the NHL Interactive rulebook is 'Goals', but okay. From the link you posted:

quote:

(NOTE 1) In exercising his judgment under subsections (a) and (b) above, the Referee should give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.

Are you saying Perry's contact isn't incidental?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

honestly the rules seem just vague enough that it could go either way. what was the call on the ice? if they originally called it a good goal, i'm not surprised they didn't overturn it

if you read Table 16 in the PDF of the rulebook, it looks like it could fit under the situation of incidental contact with the goalie in the crease (no goal, and talbot was mostly but not entirely in the crease) or under the situation of a screen with a goalie on the edge of the crease (good goal)

Called a good goal on the ice

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Contact outside the crease is still interference, and he was in the crease

Okay, you're a ref as per what you've said in SAS threads, so I have some questions: Can you define incidental contact? I can't find a definition for it. Also when a rule talks about where contact is 'initiated', it would seem to mean where the point of contact is initiated, no?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

He wasn't pushed, and talbot didn't move towards him, it could be claimed it wasn't incidental, but that's not the issue.

The initial contact occured with talbot almost entirely in his crease, with the blade of his skate outside of it. If that mean's he's not "in his crease", then goalies have to start treating the line around the crease as an impenetrable boarder they cannot cross when attackers are near the zone, or they're exposed to "accidental" bumps.

Rule 69.3 from here http://1.cdn.nhle.com/downloads/2016-17_RuleBook.pdf

the initial contact doesn't have to be within the goal crease, the goalkeeper has to be within the goal crease. If that is interpreted to mean every inch of the goalie has to be in the goal crease, goaltender interference disappears.

How much of the goalie has to be within the crease then? I think the rule is referring to where contact is initiated on each player - ie: is it initiated on a part of the player that is outside the crease. Also, that particular addendum tells refs not to pay too much attention to exactly where contact was made, but rather the nature of it.

And I agree, the rules are vague. I don't really know if that's good or bad - seems like everyone is very annoyed at coaches challenges slowing down the games by making sure offsides are strictly adhered to - so maybe a little vagueness is good?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

As a referee, the rules are specifically vague about things like that to gif the refs wiggle room in judgement.

In this case, I think the ref made an error in judgement in determining the contact to be incidental with Talbot outside the crease.

Thanks! Is there specifically intentionally no definition of incidental contact? Or what 'initiating contact' means?

e: wrong term

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 4, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

shyduck posted:

Rules are made vague on purpose because the game is so fast and fluid that calling everything to the letter is just impossible. They're gonna miss things, but they'll crack down on other things to not only keep control, but keep the game moving. It's good that the open interpretation exists.

I tend to agree, but at the same time I'm ambivalent to the coaches challenge existing. There are already commercial breaks and such in the game. An unscheduled break doesn't really mean anything to me.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

Well if this was a good goal, 100% because 98% of talbot was in the crease.

If the same rules apply to goalies as other players, it's "a significant portion of the body" of the player as decided by the ref. If 98% of talbot isn't a significant portion of him, i don't know what would be"

okay, so if we grant that - would a screen 3 inches further from Talbot have allowed him to make that save?

I don't think so. I think the refs probably came to the same conclusion, and given that addendum - that they can judge based on the nature of the contact - I think they made the right call.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGVIo75xGY

You can see momentum is imparted on him.

He would have to drop his stick to move to his right and the shot hasn't been taken yet.

You included :colbert:

Your favorite flavor is probably fire truck red.

To be honest, for as rigorous as freezing step-by-step can be for me on a youtube video, it looks like perry is entirely outside the crease on that entire play (from the overhead view) - talbots mask, stick, and foot are at best on the line

e: food != foot

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

switching gears, from the beagle comment earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Z4jOGaq3Q

:lol: even better that it was so off-the-cuff

• Locked thread