Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pubic works project posted:

This may be a silly question, but what's the order of series here? UXM vol 2, Wolverine and the X-Men, UXM Vol 3, All-New X-Men Vol 1?

There are no silly questions about reading order for X-books, what you mentioned sounds rightish, but there's like 4 crossovers that involve a poo poo ton of other X-books and Avengers vs X-Men before you get to All New X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tato posted:

They went back to the past and their past selves...were still there and nothing was wrong. It seems like in fixing up reality post Secret Wars, everything was patched up timeline-wise so the X-Men never left. So now the original five are just some weird time/reality remnant that are living in the present and in no way affect the future lives of any X-Men.

That sorta makes sense, really Doom's time platform is the only method of time travel that let's you get back home to your own time line with the changes intact, hence Ben Grimm canonically being Black Beard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that would be 2016-2017 now since it's no longer active.

There are so many cancelled or relaunched books that are still listed in Unlimited as 201X-present. They need to do some cleanup on dates, all the Secret Wars minis are 2015-present, as are both recent Howard The Duck series, which are both cancelled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Naw, Peak Claremont is during Asgardian Wars when Amora captured Illyana, and uh...stuff happens.

http://imgur.com/a/rNSMO

I don't think this is where Magik became my favorite of the New Mutants, but I hope its not.

Since her first trip to Limbo there's no important part of Illyana's history that isn't, at best, problematic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Didn't Kitty Pryde also get mystically reduced to infancy by a Japanese wizard during one of her Wolverine team-ups?

Yeah, and later Storm apparently and comes back as a child. And with Illyana/Magik her whole origin story is she was a six year old hanging out with her older brother Colossus, until she get's sucked into hell and ages 7 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, reading her original stuff she's definitely older than say, Colossus. Early 20's at the youngest when she first starts hanging with the X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They should bring back Excalibur, but with the subtitle being "Coalition of Chaos."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fake Edit: I originally wrote this for another thread but this seemed a more appropriate place.

I just read Executioner's Song because it was on the weekly reading club on Marvel Unlimited, and loving Christ, how did anyone continue to care about X-Men in any capacity in the 90's? I literally don't know why anything in any of those issues happened aside from some foreshadowing that Scott and Jean are the parents of Cable (or maybe Stryfe). The best moment in the entire thing was the epilogue where Jubilee takes Professor X rollerblading because his legs work for a day.

There's literally a bit where Scott and Jean are escaping Stryfe, find a baby are told they have to kill the baby to escape and when they don't kill the baby and Stryfe is so confused that they wouldn't kill a baby he let's them go anyways and then they escape; to the surface of the moon. Except it's not the blue part of the moon where where you can breathe, it's the normal part of the moon where you die.

Are all of 90's X-Men this bad?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Bro that is peak X-Men and it fuckin' ROCKED.

What was the point of any of it? Cable (actually Stryfe) shoots Professor X in the head, except he doesn't die, but he's got the legacy virus and the New Mutants fight the X-Men because Cable is their leader and they lose. And then Mister Sinister kidnaps Scott and Jean and gives them to Stryfe and there's a bunch of fights between Sinister's goons and the X-Men and then Sinister says he'll save Prof. X's life, and then the poo poo with the baby and the moon I just mentioned happened. At the end it's mostly status quo except there's a scene where Gabit is a creeper on Rogue.

Oh gently caress, I haven't read a lot of Gambit comics, but what I have read makes it seem the only reason Gambit hasn't sexually assaulted Rogue is because he would likely die. Yes, Rogue has extra reasons for not wanting to be touched, but if Gambit talked to, say Storm, the way he talks to Rogue he'd be a loving Bananas Foster.

Seriously, why did any character do anything that they did in the comic?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

That story took place when Cable was kind of an unknown and X-Force was seen as something of a terrorist group, and Cable was seen as leading the former New Mutants down the wrong path.

Stryfe thought himself to be the real Nathan Summers, and thought that Scott sent him away to the future to save his own life, when in reality Stryfe is the clone and Scott sent Nathan to the future because it was the only way to save him from the techno-organic virus. This is why Stryfe is loving with Scott and Jean, because he thought they were selfish for their actions, when it was actually selflessness.

This was also the first time in the comics we had confirmation that Cable was Scott's son.

Stryfe also tricked Sinister into opening something which he promised would contain the DNA of Scott and Jean's kid, which Sinister has always wanted, but it was actually the Legacy Virus.

X-Cutioner's Song was pretty much just set up to confirm the Cable is Nathan Summers theory, and Stryfe was Cable's clone.

This is all poo poo Chris Claremont could have done in 2 issues (3 if you count the obvious New Mutants cross over).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

X-Cutioner's Song was great because the epilogue featured Jubilee taking Xavier rollerblading.

Skwirl posted:

Fake Edit: I originally wrote this for another thread but this seemed a more appropriate place.

I just read Executioner's Song because it was on the weekly reading club on Marvel Unlimited, and loving Christ, how did anyone continue to care about X-Men in any capacity in the 90's? I literally don't know why anything in any of those issues happened aside from some foreshadowing that Scott and Jean are the parents of Cable (or maybe Stryfe).
The best moment in the entire thing was the epilogue where Jubilee takes Professor X rollerblading because his legs work for a day.

There's literally a bit where Scott and Jean are escaping Stryfe, find a baby are told they have to kill the baby to escape and when they don't kill the baby and Stryfe is so confused that they wouldn't kill a baby he let's them go anyways and then they escape; to the surface of the moon. Except it's not the blue part of the moon where where you can breathe, it's the normal part of the moon where you die.

Are all of 90's X-Men this bad?

Literally my entire thesis

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Squizzle posted:

For long runs, Otto Binder's Marvel Family work, across 12ish years and multiple titles, it's one of the best comics runs ever. His Superman work, spanning I don't know how many years (15-20?) probably had more influence on the pop culture archetype of superheroes, until at least the end of the 20th century, than any other single creator's work.

I'd say Lee/Kirby F4 is more influential since it basically introduced the idea that super heroes could have personalities and conflicts separate from fighting villains.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

By the way, against my better judgment I picked up the last couple Secret Empire issues of Blue.

Rahne Sinclair has a new power. Instead of turning into a wolf, she can turn into ...multiple wolves???

That's loving legit awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wasn't there something with cloned X-Men wandering the universe at the end of the first Brood Saga that was never addressed (or at least never addressed by Claremont)? Did anyone ever do anything with that, it was a pretty classic X-Men team too if I remember right, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, Shadow Cat (I think she was going by Sprite at the time), maybe someone else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

That was New Mutants 63, the very first comic book I ever read. I picked it out of my uncle's collection because there was a girl in a spacesuit with a sweet looking laser gun on the cover. When J&M covered it, they pointed out that although the story apparently actually happened, it was told as like a memory within a dream within a flashback for some dumb reason.

Ahh poo poo, that's one of the missing ones on Marvel Unlimited, there's some weird rear end gaps in New Mutants, it goes 1-40, 46, 55-61 (the Fall of The Mutants tie in) 71-73 (Inferno), then 86-100 which I think is when it essentially turned into X-Force.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think I've ever once seen Rachael have any interest in anyone in all the X-men I've read.

Read Claremont Excalibur, Rachel and Kitty were as much a thing as you could get away with in 1989.

Edit: Which actually makes Rachel and Kurt being a thing even weirder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Well yea, I've listened to Jay and Miles from the start. Claremont straight up said that Kitty and Rachael are the ultimate pair, though I'm with them reading it Kitty and Illyana. But that's probably because I just really like Illyana.

I read Claremont's Excalibur before listening to Jay and Miles, and it was still really obvious.

I think there was some stuff about Rachel and Sublime in Brian Wood's all lady X-Men team, and I think she was also into someone on The StarJammers when she was hanging with them during Abnett/Lanning's Galactic stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I'd wager it was creepier than whatever is happening now, because at the time Piotr was somewhere between 17 and 19, and Kitty was 14 or 15. Breaking them up originally was an Editorial mandate.

It wasn't really that creepy in the comics, because at the time Kitty is far and away the closest in age to Piotr among the X-Men, and yeah a 19 year old shouldn't date a 14 year old, but a 17 year old and a 14 year old is the equivalent of a junior dating a freshman, which happened all the time at my high school, and theoretically Xavier was running a school. There's a lot of creepy and questionable things in Claremont's X-Men, Piotr and Kitty wasn't one them.

But it's also a well that's been visited many times, so it's sorta annoying to hear that they're going back to it.

quote:

They haven't had any history as such, but I don't really see why they should need some history together to hook up or get together now.
I'm not reading the current book, so I don't know how it's being portrayed right now, but they actually do have a long history together, as platonic friends in Excalibur. So that strikes me as a little weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Speaking of the Brood, will Gabby be okay? :ohdear:

The original Wolverine got infected by the Brood multiple times and his healing factor always fought it off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Yeah but this is a little advanced

I'm on unlimited, but I can't imagine they'll kill off Gabby.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Except for the time when The Thing became Blackbeard and created a time paradox.

Ben Grimm being Blackbeard is my favorite fact about Marvel comics, also Doc Doom's time machine is canonically the only one that doesn't create paradoxes or alternate timelines

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait, he's doing magic now?

What the hell happened?

Scientific versions of time travel didn't work, and he spent an issue hanging out with Dr. Strange where he learned all of the wrong lessons. It's Young time displaced Hank we're talking about unless I missed something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Young Hank is absolutely going to be the next Sorcerer Supreme.

I was going to say it should be Wiccan since he's far less of a gently caress-up, but then I remembered there's an early story arc of Dr. Strange that's basically "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" except the fly was Dormammu and everything after that poo poo made Dormammu look like a c-list Spider-Man villain. It ended with Eternity destroying and remaking the universe because Dr. Strange hosed up so badly (yes, if we're counting deaths that technically got undone Dr. Strange has killed twice as many people as Thanos). So Hank would be a perfect fit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Young Hank's less good at science than Old Hank, since science has like a 30 year jump on him due to time travel. Rather than using his big brain to work hard and catch up to the times, he's doing the Hank McCoy thing of taking a shortcut and using his big brain to try and shirk the consequencees.. and failing.

Because he's Hank McCoy, and for the last 30 years his modus operandi has been eloquently failing to understand, accept, and work around his own limits (see also: every time he's tried to gently caress with his mutation) and the limits of those around him.

Thanks to sliding time scales it's only a 15 year jump at most. Old Hank should be within a year or two of age with Peter Parker and I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be 29 at most.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

So it's more like twenty, considering they've been here for five years-- even with the sliding time scale, I think they're supposed to have been here for awhile.

Peter Parker became Spider-Man at age 15, I don't think he's quite 30 yet. Hank Mccoy was a teenager at the same time as Peter Parker. However long ago Old Hank brought the O5 into the present it was definitely not after Peter Parker turning 30.

They definitely haven't been here for 5 years because 5 years hasn't passed for anyone else in the timeline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Sounds like a good What-If, if Marvel ever gets around to putting out any more of those.

Don't we usually get a couple of those for each event? Although in retrospect, I don't think there's been any that have come out post-Secret Wars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Also when in the gently caress are we gonna find out that the Madrox dupe(s?) living on their own is/are still alive and somehow got the power to duplicate when the Prime Madrox died, or that Prime Madrox wasn't actually on Muir Island when the Big Dumb Idiot Thing happened that ostensibly killed off my favourite character that isn't cloned from Wolverine or a living totem of stone and awesomeness.
tldr BRING BACK JAMIE, YOU MOOKS. It'd be the easiest thing on the planet to handwave away!

When did they kill Jamie Madrox?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's at least a few X-Men who could just turn the adamantium into like water. Wolverine would still be dead but at least he could get a proper burial to return from.

I know this is almost the "Why doesn't Superman help Batman?" logic but this is within the same property!

I assume they addressed why Kitty can't just reach in and pull him out, right? She's too prominent to just not mention it.

If it's fused to him, I don't think she could. She could do poo poo like phase someone out of their clothes, but she couldn't like reach into you and phase your liver then pull it out. Also she has issues phasing through dense metals. She's definitely phased Logan, including his adamantium skeleton, but that's just a thin coating, not a giant statue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinteres posted:

If they want to, they can still pretty easily just handwave it away and say it started working again later. It might go against the rules of how it's supposed to work, but it wouldn't be any less plausible than any number of other character resurrections. Phoenix still seems like the most obvious get out of death card the X-Men line has with Jean's imminent return though. Whether it's in a few months or a couple years, obviously he isn't staying dead forever.

Jean stayed dead for 13 years, so I doubt Logan/Wolverine is coming back anytime soon, especially since they have Laura, OML, and a personality swapped Sabertooth running around (is Sabretooth still around and remorseful?).

I will miss Jane Thor, but she came with an expiration date stamped on her from the beginning with the cancer thing, plus it'll be nice for Bill to have another human to talk to in Valhalla.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

He's such a smug prick it's hard to remember he's supposed to have had character development since Morrison. In fact, Here Comes Tomorrow(god I loving love that title) even had a cameo by someone heavily implied to be future Phoenix QQ and he was a pretty calm reasonable guy.

That said, even though Battle of the Atom was loving terrible, I really liked this moment even though it's the exact opposite of what I just said:

If Battle of the Atom was 6-8 issues it'd probably be more fondly remembered. There's nothing too bad about it, but it doesn't have enough story for its length.

I also really liked most of the future X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Today's new episode of "Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men" is a show recorded live at NYCC with Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson. It's a fun listen. Claremont's a lot more awake this time around.

My favorite part is that it's been 30 years or so and Claremont is still remarkably annoyed about the original X-Factor run.

I like a lot of post Dark Phoenix comics with Jean Grey, but she probably should have staid dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If Rachel Grey is any indication, you can do a lot of great things with the alternate reality children of popular dead characters, even after they come back to life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

No, wait. I meant least favorite. That was such loving bullshit.

Rachel did have the advantage of being created by Chris Claremont instead of Jeph Loeb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Complaining about alternate universe people in the X-Thread seems a little, uhm, closing the barn door after the horses fled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

X-Men Red will be Old Jean, Young Jean, Rachael Summers, Hope Summers, Wolfsbane, Siryn and uhhhhhhh, whichever other X-Men have red hair.

Also every single alternate universe Mary Jane, including Kirsten Dunst.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Gonna go for a surprise combo of Dani (braid) and Sam (Jesus pose) to go with Laura and Nightcrawler.

Did Dani ever get her powers back? Not that she needs them to be in a book, I just never finished The New Mutants after Necrosha.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

davebo posted:

I never understood why they decided to make Namor a mutant and have anything to do with the X-Men, let alone the Phoenix force. Granted that was all during my twenty year break from superhero comics so they may have been done well, I just don't like the idea.

X-Men were the most popular Marvel characters, so they decided to make Namor "Marvel's first mutants."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

What the hell, Namor? That green armour poo poo is vile, get this man back in the Speedos or the awesome split black number, stat. I have never heard of Gentle, who he?

Also, Gabby is on the team too? Sweeeeeeet.
Apparently a lot of people feel the same as you (including me)
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/930136981480267778

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's people who don't love Nightcrawler? Everybody loves the fuzzy blue elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

True - strictly speaking, Jean probably met Kurt a couple of times before taking the Jamaica Bay siltnap for a few years, then spent years with X-Factor only to finally hook up with the X-Men again while Kurt was with XCalibur.

Were they ever on the same team between Claremont leaving and Grant Morrison's New X-Men? I know very little about that era but it spans most of a decade.