Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh hey I didn't even notice this thread was active again

Uncanny's real loving bad, y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That this is the start of Marvel's big push towards making the X-Men matter again is incredibly disheartening.

I can't think of a single character in this book that isn't done dirty in some excruciatingly stupid way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Let's be real though: none of these characters are written anything like they have been in the past. X-23's enthusiastic about murdering things, Legion's back to being a wacky bundle of crazy with no real pathos, Armor is...I don't even know what's going on there, and of course everything going on with Nate Grey.

Hell, the only character who kind of reads right to me is Rockslide and even he got an inexplicable new nickname out of nowhere

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alaois posted:

I'm suddenly thinking back to the episode of Jay and Miles where they interviewed Jordan D. White and he was hyping up this whole thing, and I realized that he became the X-Men group chief editor after the things that I like or liked happening at the time (Weapon X, Domino) had already been decided on and that he's responsible for a lot of bad recent stuff (like Extermination).

I guess what I'm saying is, maybe he's not the right person to be helming this ship.

The thing is White has absolutely edited good books in the past, so I don't know if I want to blame him for this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Marvel crowing about how the Fantastic Four are BACK in video games just makes me think of how they forced Marvel Heroes to remove all Fantastic Four characters a few months before the game suddenly closed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The newspaper celebrating the death of the X-Men is also how I feel about this storyline now that it's over, to be honest

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He's writing two separate mini-series. I don't think UXM is going to stop because of that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, as much as I love the idea of Jonathan Hickman doing for X-Men what he did for F4 and Avengers I'm not seeing evidence of it. There's gonna be 12 issues total of two different miniseries. Him saying this is a passion project makes me even more suspect, that means it's a hobby for him.

At this point I just hope it's good Hickman and not the Hickman that tried to get me to care about Starbrand or Nightmask

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Metalshark posted:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...d-cool-cyclops/ - very serious Hickman interview.

Big fan of the Gillen Sinister and Emma Frost shoutouts - plus, Roberto and Sam. :hellyeah:

While I'm not sold on Jean wearing the 60s dress and mask, since it's so much more dated than the version in Age of X-Man, the idea of the X-Men just wearing their old uniforms as their wardrobe is pretty fantastic.

I actually kind of hate it! Are we just going to ignore the past sixty years of X-characters wearing regular clothes and just assume they all started collectively wearing their costumes as regular clothes because...eh?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man if the rumor that was floating around along with the titles of the books before the announcement was even a little true the reaction is going to be interesting

For references sake said rumor was it's revealed all mutants are immortal

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 29, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

like ageless-immortal or undying-immortal?

No idea, didn't say.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wasn't Vanisher already dead??

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given what the rumor about the big House/Powers of X reveal is I'm wondering if Rosenburg wasn't given a list of X-Men to kill before the end of his book

not to say that makes his book any better but there's no goddamn way editorial somehow didn't communicate with Hickman about what was happening with those characters months ago

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

What is the rumor? In spoiler tags please.

mutants are immortal

the context of why and when and how, nobody knows

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maker's busy over in Venom this probably doesn't have anything to do with him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

At the end of U.S. Avengers he walked away from AIM (and the US government, to which he'd turned over AIM previously) and left Toni Ho in charge; presumably they told her to piss off.

AIM officially broke away from Toni and the others during Avengers: No Surrender, which also ended with Roberto rejoining the X-Men. Since then they've been back to their evil scientist ways in Unstoppable Wasp.

Toni created her own organization called RESCUE which has yet to appear out of Ewing-written books.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That rumor looking to be increasingly legit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barry Convex posted:

Which rumor?

Like immediately before House of X/Powers of X was announced there was an anonymous tumblr comment (that was really angry and dismissive but whatever it's anonymous people on tumblr that's par for the course) that there was going to be a Hickman-led X-Men relaunch with the central hook being (this may or may not be true that's your last warning before clicking on this) mutants are revealed to be functionally immortal. The exact mechanics of this weren't mentioned in the comment though if I had to guess it probably has something to do with those pods.

Would definitely explain why it's not just characters who died in Rosenberg's run that are suddenly and inexplicably back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wanderer posted:

I don't think we've got enough yet to figure out what's going on. This is Moira MacTaggert, who's been dead for years in 616, and getting capped on Muir Island by Mystique isn't one of the established timelines here.

It absolutely is. Notice the faked death on the last timeline.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The actual best return in this issue is Magneto's fuckin' Cthulhu castle from earlyish in Claremont's run

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jng2058 posted:

Interestingly, Pyro calls Destiny "mother" in HoX2, which was never a thing before as I recall. I wonder if that's a mistake, a throwaway minor retcon, or a plot point worth noting?

Pyro's a sarcastic rear end in a top hat so it could just be a figure of speech because she's ordering him around

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I always considered my own personal choice for start of the Bronze Age to be the nearly simultaneous switch from wacky one-off bullshit stories in Batman and Superman comics to the model more closely resembling Marvel's

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm pretty confident from the extremely limited information given about the new books to kick off after this wraps up that Krakoa will be sticking around after Hox/Pox

Yeah, Hickman's been pretty clear that this is a rise, not a fall

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nevvy Z posted:

That Resurrection seems to be part of the Lost decade now. Or at least the part where they were the P5.

You guys are massively overthinking this.

The X-Men's history is not going to be portioned out to the different Moira lives because that doesn't make any sense with what we've been seeing. Hickman isn't going to do a full-on Marvel Universe reboot in these comics.

The timelines at the end of the issue only show one that actually matches up with the history of the X-Men as we know it, the tenth and last one. That's what we've been watching all along.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Seems like a real bad idea to restore a franchise to promenience within your fictional shared universe if you're not actually setting the flagship book in said universe?

The future timelines in Powers could go either way, I admit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Seems like a real bad idea to restore a franchise to promenience within your fictional shared universe if you're not actually setting the flagship book in said universe?

The future timelines in Powers could go either way, I admit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nodosaur posted:

here I was thinking Xavier was probably the Maker in disguise or something

I mean it seems kind of obvious?

Hickman has explicitly stated that he wants this to be standalone. Inexplicably making the book revolve around the Maker would make it very hard to be a standalone.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Billzasilver posted:

One interesting out that Hickman built in is that Moira can choose to be passive and the whole world is unchanged. In life 4, crazy poo poo happened at least until the Phoenix Prive and AvX. Probably beyond that too.

The only reason I really think this is Life 10 is that Legion and Proteus exist.

Yeah the fact that it's the only one singled out with poo poo that matches the Marvel Universe makes it clear that the "present day" stuff is life 10 or at least that's what we're supposed to think.

People keep looking for the twist in all the wrong places, I feel.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I still don't understand how you can insist this is life 6 when it's only happening because of stuff that happened in life 9

like they sure are spending a lot of time detailing and setting up a status quo that doesn't loving matter if it's not the life that they've literally built up as "Moira and Charles do whatever it takes" and also just went out of the way to show that Charles literally had sleeper agents set up so they wouldn't interfere with the timeline until he said so

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jiro posted:

Hmmmm so we should really only pay attention to the Hickman written books? X-Force sounds pretty dope.

you should pay attention to whatever looks cool and not care about what "counts" or whatever

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's entirely possible no one but Cyclops knew about the eggs going into that mission

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

IUG posted:

I guess it sucks to be Tattoo. Fought with the X-Men a number of times, until it turns out he wasn't a mutant, it was his tattoo artist who put the symbols on him that was imbuing the powers instead.

You're thinking of Ink. Who sucks. And I'm glad he's not on Krakoa. Because he sucks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Okay, I'm normally fine with creators having different interpretations of characters, but Emma Frost drinking a beer from a can is just a bridge too far.

Don't worry. It's Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
At this point I would be so tired of the Sentinels and the Purifiers and the government stooges and the internment camps and the everything else that I would basically do anything for some stability

Live on a big island monster with Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister where we all get cloned into big balls and have weird mutant orgies? Sure man, whatever, gently caress it, as long as I don't have killer robots trying to laser my face off because I have the ability to talk to fungus.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Exiles starring Sabretooth makes me think that it's going to be a book about mutants put into not-jail and it really is going to be a mental world rehabilitation program or something

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dawn of X panel happening right now

In case anyone had doubts they explicitly spelled out that House/Powers was intentionally focused on big picture set-up so that the Dawn of X books can zero in on individual characters

also Hickman promised Apocalypse in a business suit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Vulcan for best new character 2019

before you say anything, yes I know and no I don't care

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I honestly don't think Squirrel Girl will be re-retconned because nothing is added to the character by her being a mutant and the joke worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wolverine is one of the few major heroes in comics that massively changed his entire character and had it stick