Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought Hank was at his best in the S.W.O.R.D. miniseries. Without the baggage and drama from the X-Men, Hank was a fun and cheerful guy who cracked dad jokes and lame puns. And his job was to help his cool girlfriend deal with aliens, either by kicking rear end or with some diplomacy, in space adventures. If they added Broo there, they could've also had dad and son science adventures and it would've been a better evolution of Hank as a character.

It just sucks that various writers over the years have crammed Hank into this serious scientist role who tries and fails to act like the rational one that it morphed him into this awful self-righteous hypocrite. :(

That, and the current design for Hank is awful, he looks like a cheap knockoff Panthro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

X-O posted:

No thanks. I'm very happy with the Cyclops and Wolverine we have now.

I'm happy with the Wolverine we have now too, but I'll admit I want to trade in Old Man Logan for Howlett from X-Treme X-Men. The world needs more of Logan and Hercules being a big ol' gay power couple. :3:

Firstborn posted:

I read some Gold today, and really wish Gambit was in more things. Is he any good in Astonishing? Any other recent appearances? Last thing I read about him was like the 2012 solo series.

Fake edit: Actually last thing I read was Deadpool v Gambit

X-Men '92 is peak Gambit, mon ami.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My problem with Old Man Logan is that he's basically OG Wolverine, but Old. Aren't they essentially the same character with the same background, history and had the same experiences up to a certain point? Plus all it needs is a hack writer to de-age him and suddenly Laura's at risk of being shafted as the Wolverine.

It's why I prefer Howlett. Guy's got a completely different backstory where he lived in a homophobic AU, but still found love with Herc. And when the gods found out their love and cast them to hell, the two fought their way out of it. :black101:

Rick posted:

a good post

As a Beast fan, thanks for this. It's just depressing that Hank got so thoroughly mangled by bad writers to the way he is now. :(

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cabbit posted:

See, I always felt the opposite was true. When mutants were a culture, rather than just an origin, it made the metaphor stronger for me. Now they don't really seem like an allegory for much of anything, these days.

Same, really. I can't really put it into words why I like it, but mutants developing their own subculture was fascinating to me. House of M sucks for taking that away. Also, I think mutants getting depowered is what also started Beast into a path of being a badly-written character.

davebo posted:

The first new comic I've bought in over a decade was that Marvel Legacy one, where good old original Wolverine was suddenly back with no explanation. Have they followed up with that at all since then? I feel like that was a few months ago and I wasn't sure where I look to next to find out what his deal is.

I know it's pretty much a long shot, but I still hope it's not OG Logan coming back but Howlett from X-Treme X-Men. Just have Howlett and Hercules adopt Laura and Gabby.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I posted a question in the movie thread about how Mutants would fit into the MCU considering how people seem to love these superheroes with their flashy powers while the Mutants' deal is that they're hated for being born with flashy powers. I haven't kept up with X-Men books for a while now so I wanted to ask if they're still hated and feared up to now?

I've just been thinking about it and what bothers me about Mutants in general is that they barely seem to have made any progress towards their goal. I mean, yeah, I get that comics and status quo go hand in hand, and that Marvel's sliding timescale means Mutants have probably only existed for 20 years. It's just that since comics let you escape from reality for a bit and how they can be used to inspire their readers, it's depressing that Mutants can't make any progress toward acceptance because their deal is being hated and feared.

I did hear that Rick Remender tried to tackle this with his Uncanny Avengers run, but apparently it wasn't handled very well?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

They try to force the O5 to go back in time, but it fails and so after the event they decide to leave the Jean Grey School for Team Cyclops. Kitty follows because she's their mentor, and also she felt betrayed by the JGS X-Men.

Based on how she keeps jumping from team to team these days, I'm not sure if Kitty is a complete flake, is trying badly to emulate Logan being in all teams at once, or is just badly written.

Jedi posted:

As to why she wears the spikes - through various flashbacks of her history, we learned that Rachel was a member of the Hounds controlled by Ahab. The Hounds were mutants who were captured and brainwashed into hunting other mutants. Her face was tattooed with lines and the spiked body suit was her costume. For awhile, whenever she lost control of her emotions, the spikes would show up and her costume would reconfigure back into the bodysuit.

Wait, so the spikes were from her from her time as a brainwashed slave for the Sentinels? It's kind of weird she'd keep that for her costumes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rick posted:

A basic part of Rachel's character that no one has mentioned is she'll wear something incredibly hosed up even if it offends or scares people if it is in service of Fashion.

Alright, I can respect that.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I mean I think he was totally justified in that. He wasn't the only person who contributed to making his run such a success - there were artists, co-creatives, editors - but he was the driving force behind turning what had previously been a failed relic from the Lee and Kirby era into one of the most popular comic books of all time. Like a good 70% of the most beloved parts of X-Men canon is stuff Claremont developed and established in that run, and a lot of it was from whole cloth.

Aren't the current X-Men comics kind of treading the water at the moment? Which writer do you guys think could be the next driving force for the X-Men line, and what direction would be good to explore?

I thought the hints of Mutant Culture in New X-Men was a step in the right direction, and I wonder who in editorial thought it was a good idea to stop that in favor of the stupid "No More Mutants" thing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nessus posted:

Creative bankruptcy.

What would be more interesting would be to look at other twists on this stuff. Mutant superfans. People trying to adopt a mutant identity ("I got an eleventh toe!"). Polluting-rear end companies saying that actually they're doing their workers a favor because who wouldn't want to be like the Guthries with at least two beautiful bouncin' mutant children? etc.

Morrison's New X-Men showing that there's Mutant culture emerging was a step in the right direction for that. Too bad no one followed up on it and we got House of M instead. :sigh:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So as someone who never got to read older X-Men comics, what is Kitty Pryde about? Like, what makes her a great character, and what are the stories she's been in?

I know a few things from this thread like how she's always had terrible costumes, was Wolverine's sidekick at one point and dated a bunch of Peters. But my main impression of her is from recent X-Men comics where she keeps jumping from team to team. It makes me think that she's either got wishy-washy loyalties or that she's badly emulating Wolverine's gimmick of being in every team.

Metalshark posted:

Hard disagree. He should be the foremost X-Men bisexual dude. :allears:

Who are the other candidates for the foremost X-Men bisexual dudes? Mine would be Wolverine. Dude's been alive for a long time so there's a good chance he probably had experience playing both fields.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for the replies, goons! :) I can see why Kitty being the new leader of the X-Men would appeal to those who grew up reading about her.

So if Scott's Magneto now, Logan is Xavier, and Jean is somewhere in the middle, does that make Kitty the new Scott or Logan?

Metalshark posted:

Definitely Logan in terms of being a Gay Icon/Bear*, and Daken is actually canonically bisexual, but he's not an A-List character. Ditto for Shatterstar, so I think Gambit wins.

*and also AU James Howlett.

It would be pretty nice if the return of Wolverine event would give us Howlett instead of regular Logan.

EDIT:

Ugh, it's really dumb that they're walking back on Laura being Wolverine. First Sam, then Jane, and now this. Marvel's been pretty awful about regressing like this.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 14, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Lockheed showed up in Astonishing X-Men and it was revealed he was actually the ambassador of an alien race, and I think it was suggested he had been taking advantage of Kitty's friendship for years to suit his own purposes? I don't recall if the second part was exactly what happened, but the first bit is definitely true and I have to admit, I wasn't really a huge fan. It's a harmless thing to add in, I guess, but not something I thought was very interesting.

Knowing how much of a poo poo Whedon is now, the reveal that Lockheed was actually a sentient alien pretending to be the pet of a girl for years feels way more creepy in hindsight.

I forget, but did Whedon take over after Morrison on the X-Men? In some ways, Astonishing feels like a huge step back with mutant culture no longer getting any development. Or how they go back to being a superhero team when they were trying to focus more on teaching the kids and being mutant ambassadors.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Astonishing was a new title which I think launched immediately after Morrison left. It had a lot of delays (largely due to Cassaday falling a bit behind on the art), and I believe one result was that House of M took place partway through its run and it had to continue on as if nothing had happened.

(To be clear, I think this was the right decision, but I believe this came at a time when Quesada was keen to emphasise the shared universe aspect, and this was basically the flagship X-Men book for a couple of years, so it's kind of funny.)

I remembered another funny thing about the delays. They were trying to hype up a "Today, one of the X-Men dies!" sort of thing for people to guess. Except the other X-Books kept running despite the delays, and Kitty was conspicuously absent in all of it. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Adult Beast and Angel are ruined characters. Adult Jean was dead. You didn't need another Iceman or Cyclops but it was a package deal.

Is there even a way to rehabilitate Adult Beast at this point, outside of killing him permanently? S.W.O.R.D. was the best version of Beast, going back to him being the fun guy in the group. So it's a bummer how other writers turned him into a self-righteous prick who did terrible things and how it just kept escalating.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So would you all say Rosenberg's run has dethroned Austen for the title of the worst X-Men run ever?

The Question IRL posted:

The Cure (from Whedon/X3) was just that. A cure.
Something that if you were a mutant you would volunteer to take so as to remove your power.
It maybe offers a parallel with closeted gay people going to conversion therapies/ camps to "pray the gay away". but it can be shown as something that there is a choice in.

The thing I remember in this part was Beast seriously contemplating to take the cure so he'd be "normal" again. Which is already terrible by itself, but then you remember how in the run before this, Beast pretended he was gay just to spite his ex, who then publicly "outed" him in an article.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's just something sad about Logan being a successful mentor to his teen sidekicks while being an abysmal father to his biological kids.

Wanderer posted:

given his age, it shouldn't even be immediate descendants. it should be great-grandsons and great-nieces. dude should have a family tree that looks like Mick Jagger's.

So basically Logan's trying to compete with Scott for overly-elaborate family trees? :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wanderer posted:

That won't be a competition until Logan's involves time travel.

The fact that we aren't virtually overrun by second-, third-, and fourth-generation sniktlings is actually testament to Logan's remarkable restraint.

Has Marvel retconned any of its heroes to actually be descended from Wolverine or something? Like, I dunno, Peter Parker being secretly Logan's great-great-grandkid or something.

davebo posted:

Wolverine definitely has more multi-dimensional offspring than I can keep track of. My wife and I are keeping it simple by just having one kid named Logan.

Okay, now this is just too cute. :3: Thanks for sharing!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hot drat cat beast was dumb as hell.

I'd take Cat Beast over his look when Bendis took over. Beast's design there made him look like lovely, discount Panthro.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

With the way writers keep going back to that tired old well, the bigger twist these days would probably be a story where Xavier is actually a pretty good and moral person.

danbanana posted:

But I think we can all agree that Beast is a terrible person who does terrible things and probably should be in jail forever.

It's a shame because the last story I can remember enjoying Beast in was the S.W.O.R.D. miniseries where he was back to clowning around. Which writer started the trend of Beast being a self-righteous rear end in a top hat? Was it Morrison where Beast pretended he's gay to the entire world?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So what I'm getting here is that that Hickman must've heard of Nier Automata and now the X-Men are pretty much YoRHa. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, the idea, near as I can tell, is moving away from the idea of 'costumes' and into the realm of 'this is what fashion is for mutants.' Considering Hickman's whole deal with this run seems to be establishing mutantkind as a viable subculture, it's a useful and interesting approach IMHO.

Now I want Kitty to appear in the different X-books just to showcase all of her atrocious old costumes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gologle posted:

I can kind of see where Hickman is coming from in regards to X-Men fans. Like, one of my favorite characters in unironically Wolverine. Yes, he's overused, yes, it's Wolverine, yes I think he's been portrayed as hitting well above his paygrade because he took off like a runaway train from his inception, but the Wolverine that I love was the one that was in Claremont's first Wolverine mini, the one where he first goes to Japan and fights the Silver Samurai and all that stuff with Yukio and Mariko and stuff. Wolverine's core character was that he was a violent person, like unto a beast, and the struggle against that violent bestial nature toward the path of a man.

That same struggle was tied up quite nicely in Claremont's run, but people didn't want a Logan that had resolved his conflict, they wanted the cool invincible handsome badass who could turn into a human blender against ninjas and the Hulk and other poo poo, not the actual hairy midget who kept getting his poo poo kicked in because of his very wolverine-esque attitude. You can see glimpses of that post-resolution Wolverine here and there, but generally whenever Wolverine shows up its as that caricature. One of my favorite portrayals of Wolverine is actually in a Daredevil book following a character named Echo, a former villain of Daredevil's, as she embarks on a quest of self reflection, which I won't spoil but it's super good.

This is a pretty good post. My favorite version is headmaster Logan from Wolverine and the X-Men. Something about Logan taking his role as mentor to teenage sidekicks to the logical conclusion by taking up Xavier's role as the new guide and protector of young Mutants was really interesting to me. Plus him naming the school after Jean, one of the bravest and kindest person he's ever known, was pretty touching.