Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm going to turn stalk on and hide in the closet next to the phone. Welcome to your NES childhood nightmare.

Chad: "Hello?! Is this the police? Jason is..."
*Jason bursts through door*
911 Operator: "Sir, sir I need you to speak up. Please stop gurgling into the phone... sir?"

I'm okay with the Tom Savini skin being a crowdfunding exclusive if the Steam preorder exclusive is an NES-style skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

What would single player in this even look like?

I'm guessing either themed Jason vs. AI counselor sessions or you play as a counselor and get some kind of broad control over the others, basic directions like "Jenny, try to get the car started!" and survive against AI Jason.

Either way, I hope we get a boat or Manhattan map for Jason VIII. The Predator 2 map that came with AVP Gold way back in the day was pretty sweet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Does Tommy Jarvis come with all stats maxed as well as the shotgun, or is he just an armed respawn for the next/last person who died?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I imagine being the only person with a weapon in a cabin full of people and spotting Jason approaching first is like trolling Christmas.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

weapons get most people killed in my experience because they usually miscalculate Jason's grab

They'll get a lot more people killed when I turn around and slash everyone in the leg before running off in maniac glee!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That all sounds pretty great really, best way to do it without getting Jason squatters all day but giving everyone who wants in a fair shot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Jason really should be silent imo. Either that or play Yakkety Sax while chasing down a counselor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The voice comm is cleverly done in game. Once you find a walkie, you can communicate with other players with walkies. Before that, you are limited to proximity voice chat. Jason can hear either when he is close.

Once you are dead, nobody can hear you except the other dead players.

Right, I think they meant using external mic software like discord or mumble to skip the cool atmospherics and just be in constant perfect coordination all the time like an FPS team. Which I'm sure dicksmashing tryhards will do instead of enjoying the ambiance of an interactive horror movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

It does look like Jason can be defeated after all.
ke ke ke
hameha

Was this in a twitch stream?

e: nevermind

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 25, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kid sinister posted:

What loving game made in the past 20 years doesn't allow custom key bindings?

I'm still really looking forward to getting this when the month rolls around, but this is kinda worrisome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The only downside is I once morphed into a gang of 6 at the Packanack Lodge car, grabbed one, got hit and dropped them, then shift-grabbed and killed one.

Jason 2 could've probably killed 2 or 3 in that scenario. But the trade off is ol' Baghead can't hunt for poo poo, so once they're scattered it's mostly guess work.

'salright, though. Dying lonely and terrified out of your mind in the woods is the proper way to go.

It's pretty great that they worked the attributes of the Jasons that way, the ones before he died work more like human killers with their running and emphasis on direct attacks and traps, while the zombie Jasons rely more on terrorizing and literal movie magic to build a slow but relentless assault.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

First couple of hours with the game was a blast, in my second game I spun around in a big cabin looking for car keys and medicine for nearly five minutes without noticing the police phone in the living room while Duster was frantically Steam messaging me about it, haha. Survived a lot of rounds as AJ and Tiffany just by keeping my flashlight on and sticking to lit paths and cabins on the opposite end of the map from everyone else. Even got to be Tommy a few times, to moderate and virtually no effect. Haven't had a round as Jason yet but playing counselor's been a blast, I can't believe people quit out of games if they don't get to be the axe murderer.

If only the game didn't have an apparent 20% chance of crashing whenever clicking on any option or interactive element, I've had more stable games of Jenga.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The gameplay will stay, the instability will go away. Remember the game has only been out for a week.

They should have absolutely had a 2nd open beta to test these servers - but the devs do seem to have a good handle on the current issues, or at least have them identified, and are working to fix them.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not angry nearly as much as disappointed; This game's shitloads of fun and if it weren't for the eight crashes in three hours and half my sessions being interrupted before I earned the XP from them I would've played even longer and had more of a blast. I really hope they can lock down the stability soon, easily one of the best asymmetric versus setups ever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This game has the best environmental kills since the 2005 Punisher.

Which reminds me, the large cabins with a kitchen or a garage could really use some sweet mechanical kill spots.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope the Savini skin stays rare if only because it's so wicked and unique and I don't want that to become commonplace and blase.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

i had a kill animation bug out, and instead of murdering someone i recruited them as my new sidekick

Ghost Ride the Jason

Does a Jason having weakness in an ability mean it recharges less often or is it also less effective? I've only played Part 3 so far but controlling his Shift is like driving a school bus with rockets attached.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 4, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Carebearz posted:

holy poo poo, there's a block button? fml

Hit C to go into combat stance, RMB to block (works on counselors and Jason).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

You should strive never to escape as Jarvis. Jarvis should always be killed by Jason. You shouldn't really even die heroically, the Tommy from the movies would never be able to pull that off. Immediately run to Jason, deliver a one-liner, shoot him, get killed. That's it, job done.

I always roleplay Tommy as hilariously incompetent.

Haha yeah, me too, "role" play...

My favorite Tommy round was in a pub game, somehow after about ten minutes the last two people managed to find the radio and I got respawned in, right next to the police exit. I radioed "Hey do you guys know my cousin Chad?" and ran right back out, total turnaround was about 15 seconds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I seem to have gotten worse once I got some experience with the game, when I first started out and didn't really know what was going on I guess I was just going with the flow instead of overthinking things or something. I even seemed to be doing better as Jason at first, what the hell :psyduck:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

weekly font posted:

lol I'm gone for a week and this game is buggier than ever

The game is much more stable than it was at launch but when it does crash, for me it always does so just near the end of a round and it's mega loving frustrating. Judging from the errors I'm getting I'm pretty sure the lovely third-party anticheat software is the culprit too. If you can't do better than VAC just gently caress off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Has anyone put up a clear set of screenshots of all the Jason models unmasked? My googling efforts are just bringing up a bunch of stuff about the movies and action figures.

Hockles posted:

The more I play, the more I would rather they just iron out the issues with the game before they start adding more things to it.

Very much so.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah it's nice to have one you can do in a broom closet like one of the head crushes. I think Part 9's axe throw requires the most real estate, he kicks you way the gently caress away before tossing it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

The other dude, who was Tommy for this attempt, then machetes me to death when I get free and walk outside.

I'm still not sure why he did it and it doesn't really matter either way.

I was the Tommy and I killed you because I thought you sabotaged our kill attempt in the chaos, and because that was literally the fourth time I was in a Jason kill attempt that glitched out (and it turns out this one did too, JFC) and I got real buttmad about it, sorry man.

Crashing/BSODing every 15 minutes doesn't help either :sigh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When Duster's Jason and I find one in time I put a bear trap at the phone box :smug:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Coolguye posted:

that's less a trick and more a retarded exploit

'hm yes let me just casually invoke quantum mechanics and....there we go'

Yeah I was doing this a bunch too but I think I'm gonna stop, stacking traps and bypassing the door smashing animation are just dirty pool. It's not like you need them to overcome bad game design or something, if your Jason sucks at busting down doors then tough poo poo, you could pick one with Destruction or just deal with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yes to be certain I will absolutely not stop doing this against certain people someday duster Iwill fucken bury you

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A patch just went out for PC.

quote:

Patch 1.03 is live! - Exploit Fixes, Boosted Security Update, Changes
Friday the 13th: The Game - ThePraetorian
Hey all!

So we've been paying a lot of attention to the feedback we're getting on the forums and we've done a lot to curb the exploits that have become fairly well-known to users that are playing. This update is a quick stopgag to a content update we'll have very shortly, but we wanted to get this security patch out that handles the perk selling issue that users have been running into, as well as close off various spots on the maps where users are hiding. Most of these, especially the common ones, should be resolved at this time. However, we will continue to monitor.

Please update your builds and let us know what you think!

Improvements

Steam matchmaking searches longer for lower pinged games. Various minor matchmaking optimizations made.
Lobby countdown timer closes menus at the 3 second mark instead of when it starts. Warning beeps can now be heard from sub-menus.
Added lots more environmental kill locations to all of the maps.
Leaving a match while a party leader now prompts you to disband or take the party with you.
Security updates to prevent account spoofing.
Dynamic camera and character animation improvements.
Added an option for controlling the PTT sound.
Increased XP penalty of team killing fellow counselors to -1,000XP from-200XP

Fixes
Fixed several exploit locations on all maps.
Fixed Steam party members not following the party leader.
Fixed Steam party main menu voice stuttering.
Fixed Jason getting stuck in the grab pose if a grabbed counselor disconnects while being pulled out of a car.
Fixed an issue with block detection on boat seats.
Fixed some counselor vehicle interactions not being blocked while in a context kill.
Fixed some floating items on item swap and with traps.
Fixed the Shotgun sometimes floating after use.
Fixed an issue with tracking total Jason kills.
Fixed multiple achievement related bugs.
Fixed windows sometimes displaying the wrong open/close position on listen servers.
Fixed an issue where sprint was canceling fear animations & some stances.
Fixed some dynamic camera issues when interpolating from a kill back to the player.
Fixed Jason being able to morph into the boat and get shoved out of the map.
Fixed a case where spectators would not hear alive players.
Fixed session presence not always updating immediately to point at your game session (for invites) after you leave a party session.
Fixed some game server specific crashes.
Fixed the game sitting for the duration of the outro when no outro is played.
Fixed the scoreboard staying on the screen when the end match menu opens. Locking the end match scoreboard on-screen.
Fixed defaults not always functioning in Video Settings. Made the Gamma slider easier to use with a gamepad.
Fixed a case where a player's mute state may not be sent to the server after loading the map.
Fixed character placement issue when getting out of a tent.
Fixed character placement issue when ejected from a car and your door is blocked.
Fixed being able to use other items while using the sweater.
Fixed some exploits with trap placement.
Fixed multiple crouch exploits.
Fixed multiple fireplace kill interaction distances.
Fixed multiple cases of Jason being struck and flying off the map.
Fixed multiple interaction lock bugs.
Optimized Steam P2P lobby tag updates, dedicated server tag space usage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe he does gently caress. It's not necrophilia if you're dead as well.

In fact wouldn't it be biophilia for Jason if they weren't dead? :pervert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

404notfound posted:

I just used SAM to give myself all the achievements that I know for sure I should have, like "killed your first counselor"

:same:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Verified, weekend event is live. GLORIOUS CP

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just stuffed a Jason kill attempt in a pubbie lobby. Pubs don't know Jason can block the Pamela sweater stun :laugh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am looking for the survive Jason's death grip perk. Got a garbage one and I want to see how far it can get. Even a 10% reduction should guarantee me to survive a second grab without a knife.

Wait, this is a thing?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:lol: It's just a pinned thread in the steam forums telling all the buttnerd nerds to STFU about the goddamn Savini Jason since the devs are still getting like 500 angry tweets/FB posts/emails a day about it. Calm thy tits child.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Somebody probably looked at a body part or piece of scenery and said "hey have we used this yet? No? Alright, time for a leg pull and a chair kill. Gotta cover all the bases."

Also remember this game started out as a generic slasher homage named Summer Camp, undoubtedly some of the assets and concepts are leftovers from that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yup on both accounts

i really don't prefer psychic

I rolled a gray Psychic that only had like 4% voice radius and 0% negative effect and reflexively deleted it, then immediately went "wait gently caress". My current blue one has 17% voice radius :negative:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I just can't bring myself to spend a perk slot for an item which I'm 90% likely to obtain within 30 seconds of the start of the game.

LastDancer also managed to kill me in that time frame last night, because I'm awful with the shotgun and I don't know why I even tried in Packanack lodge.

Murphy's Law is in full effect. I will find tons of radios/maps right away with Psychic/Preparedness slotted, and go half the match before seeing one without.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

I'm a huge tokustasu nerd

No duh

So I've always been a giant fan of suit acting. Kane Hodder is really good at it, and 7 shows the most range. When he starts out, he's more like part 6, subtle and controlled. By the end of it, he is absolutely PISSED and it comes through all of the makeup and prosthetics.

Part 6 Jason is a very unique kind of take, because he was very cold and efficient. He was played by an ex Marine I believe, and gave it a very Terminator kind of style, which wasn't a bad idea for a freshly reborn Jason. 2 is mostly like a normal dude, which works for 2. 3 is more out back hillbilly type, which is hilarious given it was a British dude under the makeup. 4 actually has some similarities to 6. Very unemotional, very restrained.

Hodder just worked out this whole body language for Jason that tends to be the best remembered.

He does a pretty decent job emulating those styles in the game mocap too, you can see the different Jasons just in how they walk and carry themselves in the intro/outro cinematics during games.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I remember The Hidden, it was pretty neat. Going waaaay back AVP 2000 had some pretty good asymmetric PVP modes, including one that started with several Marines vs. one Alien and whenever the Alien player killed a Marine, they respawned as an Alien. Being the last Marine on the map was pretty nerve-wracking.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The fun comes from ruining the fun of others. It's a certain type of person, but a type that seems to be very well represented in the gaming community.

A few days ago I had a guy in a quick match who intentionally crashed the four-seater in a place that made him glitch into the roof of the car when he got out, which made him unreachable without throwing knives (and I happened to be out just then) as the car's hitbox absorbed even combat stance-aimed strikes. And of course he immediately started taunting over voice like he'd made a great accomplishment instead of wasting everyone's loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Morph + Stalk with a ++Morph Jason is amazing, a short hop right into the middle of a group with no warning and a fully charged Shift to chase runners is :discourse:

• Locked thread