Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Well I'm having fun in this limited format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

GonSmithe posted:

I too have fun playing against 4-color decks that are playing very bad cards

Well I did say fun, not competitive

sometimes they are not the same thing

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Standard looks...fun?

The relatively huge card pool (compared to pre-rotation change) actually makes it seem like there are some possibilities out there. And also no cat armies helps. I actually think there might be another version of the Shadow of the Grave combo deck out there since Baral and Curious Homunculus are running around along with Collective Defiance and Fateful Showdown. Something like:

Baral x 4
Homunculus x 4
Shadow of the Grave x 4
Defiance x 4
Showdown x4
Corrupted Grafstone x 4
Pieces of the Puzzle x 4
Anticipate x 4
Commit//Memory x 2-4

And then some other stuff, maybe Cathartic Reunion for consistency, or something like Thing in the Ice/Rise from the Tides/Fevered Visions/Spell copying effects.

Probably only good enough for FNM, but hey, actually exciting enough (at least for me) to try to mess around with since there are some tools out there with the expanded card pool.

Edit:
Ooh, or even the new red split card that has the double damage/damage can't be prevented side. Actually kind of interesting!

Rides Naked fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 11, 2017

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Not much has changed:

quote:

Rubens Edgard Navarro 1 day ago
hey Travis, you was riding a horse while recording this cut ?
LOL
Travis Wizard 1 day ago
loving a horse

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Since it hasn't really come up yet, TDSL has been interesting. It feels like the old timers have been getting wrecked which might be attributable to
1) They just don't draft AKH too much
2) The new world order fairly ruined draft strategies that aimed to leave your opponents only with cards that replace colors on permanents or w/e

Probably a large part the former, but it feels like the latter has some kind of effect. Not a huge deal, but kinda funny given all the talk of how team drafting so thoroughly changes the strategy of drafting etc.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

meanolmrcloud posted:

Also, AKH draft is some hard stuff. It feels much more skill intensive and especially demanding regarding decision making while drafting.

clamiam45 posted:

I've been doing pretty well with it in leagues. It got a lot better when I started valuing cheap interaction (including efficient exert creatures) above everything except sure-win bombs.

Agreed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Well I have 4 trophies in a row in the battle of the planes format. My suggestions are 1) Always pick ISD 2) Always beat down.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Look, with Cruel Reality and the new white curse all coming in all I want to know is if it is time for turbo-curse in modern:

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

They probably just messed up and its supposed to be "Return to Dominaria" or something right?

I'm in the "underwhelmed" camp for this set but I am patiently waiting for all the commons to be spoiled so that (god willing) songs of the damned cycling can be t1 in pauper.

Fake edit:

Stupid pauper cycling combo:
Library of Leng
Street Wraith
Horror of the Broken Lands

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Lone Goat posted:

It's just called Dominaria and that's not how Library of Leng works.

1) Fair
2) Tell modo that because it works on there

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

According to Gatherer:

It's not terribly surprising that it works on MODO though.

Makes sense! Did just reconfirm that it works on modo though. The well of bugs will never go dry.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Mageta the lion! My mono white soldiers deck did a lot of losing to my brother's elves.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I've gotten those for Modo compensation requests even.

Lots of "hellom'kul"s and such

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Elyv posted:

I mean, I would be down to play a properly balanced singleton Legacy

Modo used to have a 100 card singleton format, amusingly enough.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
If you aren't rat ripple-ing you just aren't living

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
MTG daughter namechat :
I feel a little weird for remembering this but David Williams's daughter is also named Liliana. She would hang out with him while he streamed (which he would occasionally do many years ago) and was super adorable

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Sickening posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/692085#paper

So whats up with b/w 8 rack without the racks? Has anyone actually sleeved this up?

Got 12 at GP Vegas. Smallpox in particular is pretty good against shadow. I still mess around with pox loam, which has gotten a little better but is still insane to play

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Star Man posted:

It's cost.

It probably costs a shitload more money to host a big Magic tournament in a convention center in the city proper rather than finding one in the greater metro area that's cheaper.

Chicago has that though (Rosemont). Unless that too is higher cost than other metro-ringing convention areas for some inscrutable reason

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's also fine to feel confident with a deck you know really well. I know taxes isn't the best deck in modern, but I've been playing those strategies for a long time and probably feel overly confident about my matchups.

Yup, deck familiarity/archetype familiarity is pretty important. I'm a decent player but I'm surprisingly bad at creature combat math/strategy, so I play combo or control (mostly combo). Could polish up other things but don't want to take the time.

quote:

Aside from Gerard Fabiano, who is a successful magic player that is not smart?

Traditionally figured intelligence doesn't always turn into success in games; savantism doesn't necessarily imply intelligence for example. Not sure I'd count Gerard in that group though.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I think Brennan Decandio has been streaming the izzet gpg deck, you could probably find the list in his twitch archive

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Procrastinator posted:

Buy-a-Box promo

This flavor text isn't just inane, it is also impossible to parse. Fire all flavor text writers, use quotes from literature.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Shadow225 posted:

Wish granted. All flavor text now comes from old Magic novels.

hoisted by my own petard.

Seriously though, just have Maro spew bad puns all over the cards again or something. I know he wrote for the bad seasons of Roseanne, but surely poo poo like that flavor text must embarrass him.

I actually want to compile all of the worst flavor text over the past few years. Something tells me most of them will be poor attempts to shoehorn "worldbuilding" into the 20 word limit text box on the bottom of an expensive piece of cardboard.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Finally had dimir mill/lantern open in a Rav draft, swept through 2-0 until losing to a more counter heavy dimir deck for 3-0 :negative:

As fun as reputed though, would suggest if it is ever somehow open

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

GoutPatrol posted:

Does Elves only play with the Druid/Vizier combo now? I don't see any lists recently not running it.

Still shows up in company shells sometimes:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/742534#online

And my new favorite best/worst deck idea, all in druid combo:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/729611#online

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Jace, the Brine Sculptor

Or just Jace the Cabin Boi :bigtran:

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

ZeroCount posted:

Jace has started working out and is pretty hot now so he's all good in my book. Never really got the weird performative internet-hate thing for him anyway.

We all just wanted Tibbers and Fblthp to get their time in the spotlight.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Ein Sexmonster posted:

We did just see a very potent common payoff for limited. This guy really wants treasure payoffs too though. He seems extremely niche and only good if you have good payoffs for both parts of the card.

If he was 1R improvise shenanigans could happen, but maybe that would have been too good? RR seems too restrictive for an improvise deck.

The best pirates so far seem to be u/b anyway

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Pontius Pilate posted:

Played in a pppptq this past Saturday at a store that was an "abandoned laundromat" in the owner's words. They hadn't had running water for a couple months because supposedly the county was loving them over. The owner said we could use the bathroom in the dollar general across the street and phrased it in a way that made it sound like they had an arrangement. This was not the case as several people reported when they tried exactly that. In response to this, the owner said he used to be a store manager there and you could just use the bathroom and the employees can't stop you. As most people aren't sociopaths we just pissed in the woods behind but I felt bad for the couple women, and especially bad for the trans one.

He got reported.

To add to this it was clear that he had been pissing in the woods for months himself

I'm glad this was only the event of this sort I really plan on playing; kinda sums the whole thing up

Edit:

To be additionally clear, his words were, verbatim "They can't stop you", which conjures up images of him walking in there every day to talk a poo poo, staring deep into the manager's eyes the whole time while giving her the finger

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I've done like 4 drafts, not avr level but not super impressive. As others have noted there is some fairly crazy power discrepancy stuff happening. I like r/w aggro; the 2/3 dino fiend binder is kinda a house and you can end up with a ludicrous amount of them. 3 mana for that effect is real cheap and real good.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Count Bleck posted:

Wizards getting all ready to Follow The Professor's Guidelines: Do NOT add Modern and the like formats so you increase your audience.

"We have MTGO for that" is a nauseating sentence.

Would bet money that the rules engine only implements a standard leaning subset and that they really don't want to put their apparent ai approach to the test on the history of mtg

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

bigperm posted:

So what y'all are saying is I need to buy 40 more insult // injury for when it pops off in a saffron olive deck.

You jest but I've been financing my modo drafts by guessing which bulk he's gonna make spike from week to week.

Still waiting for Realms Uncharted though.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Im doing well in this format but it's kinda sad because all I play is r/w aggro with the occasional nut merfolk deck kicked in

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

uninverted posted:

Decklists from the first standard event are up. Temur energy, UW approach and mono red are as big as predicted but sultai energy with hostage taker ended up winning it.

Good job carnage tyrant, living up to your presale price already

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/popeye-stompy/

Pretty great tbh

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Maybe... Dont speculate on card game?????

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Hi friends!

I haven't played since ~2000, and sold the cards I collected from about '94 to then. Looking at the prices for the power 9 and duals and poo poo I sold now makes me contemplate becoming a hoarder because You Never Know. :smith:

I have come back in part because I picked up a couple welcome decks on a nostalgic lark (clever move putting the ever iconic Shivan in the red one) to play with my 7-year-old. My daughter is loving it and just wants to play round after round. My plan is just to do kitchen table and drafts and never buy a single. :v:

This was a fun set to come back to. The tribal themes are all cool and it's surprising that dinosaurs are just now becoming a big creature type. Played the prerelease and built Dinos, and went to a draft and whipped up B/U pirates when my first pull was a hostage taker. Actually won a match against someone who'd drafted a B/W Vampire Factory with Revel In Riches when I created a board state that any attack he made risked handing me the plunder I needed to win.

I feel like when I left removal/bounce/direct damage/board clearing/permission was so cheap and ubiquitous it kind of hurt the game. Like as I remember it the state of the metagame (granted I was a Type 1 player) was such that you only bothered with creatures for some utility, never, ever to stick around and deal damage . IIRC my last Type 1 deck had 5 creatures: 4 birds of paradise and a Palinchron to generate an arbitrary amount of mana to make my opponent draw an arbitrary number of cards or take that much damage.

Now it feels more tactical and I guess... grounded? like it's an investment to kill a man's monsters and you can actually play creatures and stuff; like there's always a trade off or drawback to consider instead of everything being all upside all the time.

Welcome back!

Creatures have gotten better, but the gold standard is still getting value when it enters the battlefield. You can still mostly play draw-go (approach of the second sun is the big standard deck for this) but emphasis has certainly switched more to tempo and midrange

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Approach is control, still dogcrap next to energy

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

AlternateNu posted:

Just means one thing: He's a cheater.

I mean probably not, what it really shows is that when you are playing at a level where people don't mess up combat math or sequencing the only edge that matters is deck building

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

sit on my Facebook posted:

If you think these guys don't mess up combat math or sequencing you don't watch enough matches because they do it on camera, nevermind the matches we don't see, all the time.

Also the most important edge is being able to read your opponent, but deck building is a close second

Sure to the first point (would be better put as "mess up those things far less") but I really think its the other way around for the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I've been doing well in this draft format and it kinda depresses me.

I've come around to liking u/b a lot though. It's basically interaction.dek in this format and a lot of the u commons really shore up the ground.