Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Why do these alt-right YouTube personalities never take care of themselves? They all look like the same weird nerds that have to be told to take a shower before they go to a D&D session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BillyBlanks posted:

Can we get a side by side comparison of a photo of you vs Armoured Skeptic or Shoe0nhead

I'm not trying to pass myself off as a YouTube personality.

Edit:

Eh, why the gently caress not? I'll follow the dog rule. Me with a dog I found on my way to get more vodka at 9pm in a Polish village on a trip for my cousin's wedding.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 20, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

KomradeX posted:

I feel like The Golden One is an outlier when it comes to public Nazis all being the worst example of the white race

Maybe being Swedish, he holds himself to a higher standard of beauty.

Though in my defence, I still think he could use a hair cut.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SSNeoman posted:

Memory serves the rules say it's a ban if he doesn't.

I'm not sure what the rules are. I just posted the picture to show that dog, even though I found out after that the rule has since been rescinded (figured better safe than sorry since that was my first probation ever).

Still, it also has the added benefit of showing that a) I shave (or at least now keep a trimmed beard), and b) actually have my hair cut.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BillyBlanks posted:

They post videos of themselves irl all the time. Do you even watch these channels that you constantly complain about ?

And also no, I didn't toxx myself I just asked the guy to show why he feels so superior to these 'alt-right' youtubers physically.

I never said I was superior. I was commenting that if you yourself are going to show yourself on camera, you could at least groom yourself. Have you seen Thunderf00t and The Amazing Atheist? I'm not saying that you need to be pretty to talk about it, but at least make some level of effort towards making yourself presentable.

Notice how I'm not the one on camera with unkempt hair complaining about how feminism is the greatest injustice since the Holocaust.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

icantfindaname posted:

i'm a white male between 20 and 30 years old and i don't understand how anyone can watch these sorts of videos considering how low the content to time ratio is, unless they're an adhd-addled middle schooler who can't digest more than a paragraph of information at a time without WACKY SMASH CUT and funny faces/noises in between

Agreed. If these speakers were actually good orators or used the audio/visual medium to its advantage, it'd be one thing. But they don't.

Also I think actual writing would force them to organize their thoughts better instead of hiding under the veneer of casual speech.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Forceholy posted:

The problem with reddit is that shutting down problem subreddits is like cutting the heads of a hydra. When you ban one, more will take their place, usually by alt-righters taking over other subreddits or going on voat. Besides, you don't need much to create a subreddit anyway.

At least when you corral them into the open, it's a lot easier for the FBI to find them (I hope). Like YouTube keeping ISIL videos up.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OwlFancier posted:

Jesus if he has no GCSEs he's got to be almost totally unemployable and completely ineligible for any further education without doing remedial courses.

At least it explains why he can't watch more than 5 minutes of a video or read more than the first paragraph of an article.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

PiCroft posted:

Sargon is infuriating to watch; I immensely appreciate Sean and Hbomberguy taking the time to filter his stuff through calm debunking and comedy mockery respectively.

Yeah I can't really stand listening to Sargon either, because he just... talks. It's basically a load of crap that I'd rather be able to read. At least then I'd be able to take it piecemeal.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

boner confessor posted:

the rational/skeptic community has always been hobbled by the mensa effect

It's way harder to grow and learn when there's no one above you criticizing you. When you can just rant about whatever and ignore anyone who disagrees, it's easy to think you're a super-genius.

After all, if you were wrong, then surely someone smart would be able to convince you that you were wrong.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Low Desert Punk posted:

Plenty of people do actually think that black people are genetically inferior, they just see it as facts and not racism, because racists are bad people and they can't possibly be a bad person

Aka. the "I call it like I see it" defence.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jack Gladney posted:

The Kristi Winters thing is good because about 15 minutes in she gets this confused look on her face as she realizes that she seriously prepared for a debate with an oaf who doesn't understand the subject of the debate. When he says that the social sciences are invalid and should be abandoned she stops for a moment and just stares at him, then accepts the new insane reality she's faced with and asks him why advertising works if social science is worthless.

I'm still not 100% familiar with the context, but how did this actually come about? I mean, I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Midig posted:

The way I see it a lot of rationals are eager to debate people who oppose their arguments, at least initially. When a Anti-Anti-SJW (for a lack of a better term) decides to debate them it's probably because they keep hearing that these people want a debate and indulge them on a rare occasion. If enough time passes you can overestimate them. Think of it like meeting someone you used to hate who you have not seen for years. You think that they might be cool now until they remind you of why you used to hate them.

See I figured that's why HE would do it (the whole "I'm a smarty-pants rational who's already come to my conclusions rationally therefore I'm inherently correct and can't be dissuaded"), but I figured she'd do it out of boredom or something.

OwlFancier posted:

She does currently spend a lot of time wading through youtube poo poo as is, though I don't know if that's as a result of that debate or part of the reason she was willing to do it.

Which is why this makes more sense, thanks!

Guavanaut posted:

I'd debate a Ph.D as long as it was on something outside their area of expertise, purely on the basis that any Ph.D who would agree to an internet debate outside their area of expertise is probably one who has spent so long looking at horizontal gene transfer in nematodes that they think they've got the one hottest take on 'why the West Africans are less intelligent' or 'bacterial causes of homosexuality' or some poo poo involving aliens.

On second thoughts I wouldn't, because that sounds like an exercise in futility as much as debating Carlgon.

Yeah I'd debate a Ph. D if it were like, "Who's a better captain, Kirk or Picard?" or something superfluous like that and not like, say, Bitcoiners trying to take down Paul Krugman.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SSNeoman posted:

Kristi said that she had to practice for the debate, getting her points in a row, making sure she had enough time and everything.
Honestly, you could probably debate a PhD if you had like 2-3 weeks of prep. You probably won't win, but you'll have a better showing than Carl.

It's even funnier considering part of the whole point of being a PhD is knowing loving research.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jack Gladney posted:

ala Davis Auruni saying that he was "tutored in history" at McMaster.

What? Goddamnit I work just down the street from Mac. I now feel tainted.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jack Gladney posted:

He was kicked out for poor grades. Don't besmirch the institution for functioning correctly.

To be fair, they took him but only accepted me during their final round of acceptance.

Granted, I was going for engineering and was a shithead high schooler who didn't want to study, but... ew.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

little munchkin posted:

it's the adult equivalent of a small child trying to put on his daddy's shoes

For the amount of flavour (regardless of the alcoholic content), he might as well be drinking apple juice. Noticed in one of his videos it's Wiser's Deluxe, which is the cheapest of the whole line. Not even Special Blend (Small Batch and above is nice).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Can Thunderf00t not afford a better microphone? His sound quality has been poo poo for ages.

And yeah, disappointed, but not surprised that he's still obsessed with Sarkeesian. He needs a therapist, and possibly a restraining order to stop making videos.

Yes to therapist, but please don't stop making videos. They're comedy gold!

The obsession is loving amazing. If that's all it took to become the focus of alt-right weirdo rage, someone should've just Simone'd one.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jack Gladney posted:

What about Auruni's fat friend who broadcast live from his bathtub? He had easily 100 videos about Anita Sarkeesian. Hopefully he's been taken into custody and won't try ending his youtube career like that Bjork fan who mailed a bomb.

You mean Jordan Owen? I thought he had a sort of breakdown or something and just stopped doing videos or something.

I might be wrong as I don't follow them with the same fervour as they follow Anita Sarkeesian.

Almost makes me want to do spoof videos of me ranting about something stupid in a bathtub or on a couch.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Might mean Matt Fourney?

I know Owen for sure did a bathtub video. I'm less up on Forney so I might be wrong. Hell I only know of Forney because of the Alt-Right Dogs.

Speaking of, what was the deal with that? They just produced a lovely trailer for what? Like, it looks like the videos I'd do with my friends when I was in high school as a joke.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jack Gladney posted:

I think they broke up, just like Tub Boy and Professor Skull.

Didn't they get back together? I only really know about Owen from H. Bomberguy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Lightning Lord posted:

I heard a rumor that Shaun of Shaun & Jen is the Aurini skull who escaped and is taking revenge on his former jailer?

I am McCarther, the skull who has escaped from Davis Aurini's clutches. AMA.

Lightning Lord posted:

Didn't he have a huge meltdown because he was trying to fund a documentary about the computer game company Sierra On-Line and when he reached out to a bunch of former employees they told him to get bent? Corey Cole told him basically "not in a million years you hateful wacko" on facebook

I don't know how big it was, but that happened, yeah.

"It's like having Walt Disney call you an rear end in a top hat."

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody a ways up the thread mentioned that Jordan has been pretty quiet since it kind of dawned on him how much he's hosed up his life. Pity it took this much to get it across but that's the way it is.

Edit: Al Lowe is the only one who talked to him and that's probably because Al Lowe doesn't seem to have a clue what's going on most of the time. He kickstarted another remake of LSL1 a few years back with another ex-Sierra guy by the name of Paul Trowe. Trowe is a whacky rear end in a top hat who outed another Sierra alum as trans on Twitter, and then later git in legal trouble for showing a 15 year old girl indecent images.

Jesus gently caress, no wonder I don't pay much attention to the video game industry.

Still love to know what made him think "let me do a video in the bathtub" was a good idea. At least when Drunk History did it, JD Ryznar was drunk.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

So it's not coincidence so many of these guys are English yes? It's a little bit of the pomposity mixed with the fact that they sound really smart too teenagers and 20-somethings in America?

It wouldn't surprise me that the accent deludes enough idiots to thinking they're some kind of actual thinkers. Like naming yourself "Sargon of Akkad" as a historical figure (and not as a Star Trek character like I thought).

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The Logical Top Hat.

And your Photoshopped Avatar video stand in can be a Top Hat with a monocle and a mouth.

Professor Logical Top Hat. Academics are a-ok when they agree with what I already believe, damnit!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also, these guys are loving morons, and probably string together multiple cuts, or read blatantly off a script, or both, and just recording audio makes it easier to splice together the poo poo they want to use. So it's cowardly AND lazy!

Look up Rocking Mr. E if you want what happens when you read off a script live.

Yeah he's terrible for that. His actual oration is worse too, like he reads aloud in the same way that bridesmaids do at all the weddings I've ever been to.

At least Sargon speaks to you instead of at you (relatively).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OwlFancier posted:

Also I continue to be unable to take white nationalism seriously in a Welsh/west country accent.

Alright my luvvers, oo faaancies a bit of a pugrum eyy?

Remember that in North America, there's just one (maybe two if you separate Cockney) English/British accents (not counting Scottish).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Some fun stuff about Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLNGXbPvZM

That explains way more than I ever knew, thanks (the "Sarkeesian Effect is just ok" notwithstanding).

It also made me, a guy who gave up on being an editor and is now an accountant, feel better that it took Davis four months before he was able to produce 25 minutes of a rough cut. I once did a 12-minute short in less than a week.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The hateful comments from Gamergate's mixture of men's rights advocates and overlapping alt-right guys led me to this lovely chap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-R4azKhwZM

I got halfway before I realized what he was trying to say. Yeesh.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Carecat posted:

I think attacking people on appearance is a way of discrediting or dehumanizing them. Which is kind of their whole approach despite being 'intellectuals' is just to straw man? They just cherry pick lines out of context, ignore parts of the research they quote that disagrees with their argument, straw man all opponents as being Tumblr super SJWs...

Criticizing based on appearance is probably the most-used attack on women feminists. I mean, the stereotype of the fat, ugly, hairy feminist has been around for decades and yeah, despite their constant cries of "rationalism," they still fall into that bullshit.

And the coloured hair thing is nothing short of :psyduck: to me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Archer666 posted:

To be fair criticizing appearance is like the first part of internet critique. See the term "Neckbeard".

That's true, but I think there's a difference between being some internet weirdo making fun of a feminist and calling her fat, and being someone who claims he's right because he's rational using insults that have nothing to do with the topic to punctuate your screeds.

I mean, I've insulted the looks of some of these idiots almost at the beginning of the thread, but it was in response to presenting themselves on camera with very poor grooming and fitting the very stereotype they deny being.

boner confessor posted:

imo neckbeard is more of an insult regarding poor hygiene and grooming habits

That, too. You don't have to be an Adonis (Lord knows I'm not), but if you're going to complain that feminism has essentially taken away your ability to find a woman, then at least act like you try.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can even make fun of the only one of these guys that takes care of his body because he's 1. way too into himself 2. the hair and facial hair don't work.

I assume you're talking about The Golden One? Yeah that's less to do with his appearance being gross, and his appearance manifesting his conceitedness.

Also I never realized he had facial hair until you mentioned it. It's almost invisible.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

she's a child and has the knowledge and reasoning of one.

Yeah you knew she was not really interested in a good-faith argument when she opened a video with "If a black man gets in a fight with a white woman, who's the oppressed one?" and saying that feminism isn't needed in the US because "women already have equality under the law."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

business hammocks posted:

She might simply believe those things in good faith because she is a child. How informed were you when you were a teenager, and how well could you reason?

Oh I agree completely. I had my fair share of shithead opinions.

Having said that, she's not even at the same level as Sargon or the Golden One when it comes to that bullshit.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

What really creeps me out is not that there are teenagers with YouTube videos that spout this bullshit, but that other "rational" adults will continue to celebrate teenagers making videos like this.

Say what you will about this site and whether or not there's any echo chambers, but at least we told some teenager to stop talking about Marx and start working on getting laid.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Marx never got in the way of getting anyone laid. I feel like left-tending teens get out and meet people and build more robust social networks than individualist randroid teens. Boys meet girls while working to get the world to treat them as people. Seems way healthier to me.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Getting laid is the eternal excuse to dissuade anyone from having an opinion on something. It's as old as the internet.

You actually like avocado on toast? lol somebody get this dude some pussy

This was from someone who started an EN thread a few years ago about how he felt so much more mature than his peers. He mentioned he'd read Kapital multiple times as a 13 year old.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like marxism did a lot for getting me socially adapted. If you come to the majority of people you meet recognizing that you have common cause and common struggles then you are more inclined to be empathetic towards them.

Oh absolutely. Sympathy makes it way easier to form connections than antipathy. It's no surprise that men complaining about people commenting on oppression also heavily intersect with incel/MRA-dom.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Colonel J posted:

Yaay, my roommates moved over from Jordan Peterson to Sargon :smith: Evenings here in the living room have turned into alt-right circlejerks. Moving out in a month...!

He's a gateway drug, maaan.

Jordan Peterson: Not Even Once.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

boner confessor posted:

he never was a leftist, it was just something he said to manipulate people into lending him false credbility

it's the same thing people say when they're all "well i WAS a leftist, but i voted trump because of all you idiots on the internet who blah blah blah" it's just a weak attempt to guilt trip people into agreeing with you

Or people who say "I'm a moderate/independent" but pull straight Conservative/Republican every drat time.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

And even then he couldn't stop himself from making jabs at Anita Sarkeesian and feminists.

Not to mention that video is still 5 times too long.

I mean, I can appreciate what he's trying to say (even though he's still full of poo poo), but he takes way too fuckin' long.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, this was really weak, and this is coming from someone who would likely give him a chance if he seemed sincere, in a heartbeat.

He's not worried about the effect of his position or how they align with this bunch of vile creeps. He just doesn't want to have the infamy of sharing the boat with the chuckling edgelords. It's about image, not content.

Or maybe the Patreon money is drying up and he can't quite catch the loudest assholes, so he needs to figure out a new space to occupy. The "reasonable, non-Trumpster Skeptic" sect, if you please.

It just might have enough people to fill an average pool.

I have to wonder, given the mentions of his own father dying, if he feels this way purely because this is something that actually happened to him, like gay-friendly Republicans only because their kid is gay.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Sephyr posted:

I mean, I get it. Like all movements, there are some embarrassing, aggressive people among progressives, feminists, socialists, you name it. People who will attack you personally, twist what you say, lie. It's called the human condition. But pretending that they are a big enough deal to justify an entire movement to counter them is just an insane level of wrong priorities, or just a sadistic glee in punching down.

That's why the best part of the video is his distancing himself from the Sarkeesian Effect. Not because of the subject matter or that it seemed absolutely ridiculous to make a "documentary" about video game feminism, but because Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini hosed it up and the ensuing drama.

Visidan posted:

Thunderfoot make alot of money from his patreon, although he lost a lot of support for making anti brexit/trump videos (Thundercuck etc) he still makes 3k per video. That's far more than Sargon or Atheist make.

He can do stuff like jump off the rational crazy train or not even board it like with the trump madness because he can always fall back on his popular science videos.

It really seems like he's Glenn Beck-ing himself. He'll be back to spewing bullshit ideas soon enough in videos that take five times as long as they should.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

He goes into the youtube comments of videos that criticize him. He's more pathetic than thunderfoot because of that. Thunderfoot just needs a psychiatrist and then maybe he'll retire from videos and hang up his psychosexual fixation on Anita Sarkeesian.

And not only does he make comments, but he comments that someone else's video isn't shorter than 5 minutes because he doesn't "have the patience".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

bessantj posted:

It's maddening, I've seen it in Sargon videos, thunderf00t did it a lot in his Sarkeesian videos. I keep thinking "Yeah, you already said." half the time when I watch their videos.

I mentioned this about thunderf00t's video posted earlier. Dude could've easily said his piece in 5 minutes, instead of, what, 25? He had one main point that was "The skeptic community is full of assholes that'd laugh at someone's murder because they're not 'on our side'" stretched out with other bullshit including a literal two-minute hate about Anita Sarkeesian.

• Locked thread