Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
carl of akkad is bickering with shaun over some super petty poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhys4voMC40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dont understand dating an antifeminist. there's no way the guy knows how to eat pussy.

I like to think it's like that one episode of Sopranos

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I always wondered that because of all the anime girl avatars, I think they're out of fashion now though...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

Isn't Maddox a libertarian? This is fairly - if not sadly- unsurprising.

Nah, Maddox is mostly liberal even if he doesn't like to admit it. He used to be like "both sides are wrong" but mostly sided with "conservatives are wrong". He had a fallout with his former cohost Dick Masterson. There was a clear ideological conflict between them: Dick was a libertarian and a huge Trump supporter.

It's been a while since I listened to his podcast but I'm absolutely surprised Maddox is getting involved with Sargon and kekistan poo poo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

Who's that other rear end in a top hat in that linked video?

I didn't watch it yet but I'll guess it's Rucka Rucka Ali.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

perhaps he just sees himself as intellectual? Trumps anti-intellectual, Sargon pretends to be one, so there's a sort of consistency there.

Maddox's parents are armenian refugees so I'm pretty that's where his anti-trump tendencies come from.

Which btw now that I noticed the Anita Sarkeesian bit in the title of the video I remembered a Maddox story. It went something like this: Maddox found Anita in a convention and wanted to talk to her as "fellow armenian-americans" but she called security on him when he started to get close to her.

So I guess this is the main motivation for bringing Sargon to his show.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Dongicus posted:

i saw a response to a shaun and jen video where a dude "sped up" shauns voice on the vid. funny thing is that it wasn't any faster than his regular speech, so he just effectively pitch shifted his voice to make him look bad lol

it's a tactic to lessen the effects of shaun's chill voice

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Armoured Skeptic has a history of being "mistakenly" associated with other shitheads and then being outraged by it, there was a whole Contrapoints video about it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

can you describe this video to me in such a way that I can refute it based on your testimony tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLqi2t-oHc

lmao the video is better than I remembered it. 3:15 has some foreshadowing to the vidcon picture

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This is from pages ago but everything I know about fox is that every now and then he gets trolled by shaun on twitter, and acts super indignant about it every single time.

Like I don't want to joke about it but I'm pretty sure he has difficulties distinguishing jokes from serious statements.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Edible Hat posted:

What is Sargon of Akkad's philosophy anyway? Does he cite any philosophers during his videos (in a non-perfunctory manner)?

Someone mentioned that Carlgon recently read Adam Smith and I'm super curious about his take. I've been reading The Wealth of Nations and the impression that I got is that Adam Smith is not really a "classical liberal" in today's sense, so I wonder if he got that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ungulateman posted:

What's the percentage of men killed by their partners, in comparison? I presume it's less but I'm curious about how they compare.

from the article:

quote:

Data from earlier reports suggest a far smaller percentage of men—around 5 to 7 percent—were killed by intimate partners.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

the "Computing Forever" kills me

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-wMjclso0

Just up and man, where do these people come from?

I mean for all the massive hardons for "western culture" that right wing types profess they seriously have no clue when it comes to arguing rationally in the western philosophical style.

I just started listening to this and it's kind of hilarious that Destiny took the "I'm the rational one here, you're all about feelings" because that's such a classic right-wing way of arguing.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
That was absolutely terrible, I remember Dick being a slimy smartass discussing with Maddox on their podcast. It was nothing like that in this "debate", he came all indignant from the start for vague reasons, I have no idea why he even bothered if he didn't feel like discussing anything and just showed up to act like a huge baby.

I'm sure there is a good point there about how it's disingenuous to argue with "I'm on the rational side" because it presupposes that the other side is irrational (insane?) but Dick was so far from making it. Dude is just too invested on being a Trump cheerleader.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not sure how I feel about Contra's last video, I couldn't bear to watch the entire thing yet. It feels... Alienating? Not sure if that's the best way to describe it, just want to check if that's just me.

I like Contrapoints a lot, the Baltimore video is probably the one that made the biggest impression on me, tell me your favorite Contrapoints video.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

reddit posted:

I'm watching it and she's got some good points, but, mang, this thing whereby she keeps ribbing on her leftist critics is just annoying. EDIT: and I can't stress enough how much annoying, aggravating, upsetting is the kind of emotion I have here. I feel like I want to really good-faith things with Contra about this kind of stuff, but the perpetual ribbing in her front-facing stuff (youtube) just makes me feel like that common courtesy is not being extended in kind. It feels alienating.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Contra's last video, I couldn't bear to watch the entire thing yet. It feels... Alienating? Not sure if that's the best way to describe it, just want to check if that's just me.

Oh hey it's not just me. This is eerie.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

BigRed0427 posted:

Here we go, you wan't an actually good criticism of Contra. Here it is.

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/934524751158136832

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/934545775186595840

Having actually worked and hung out with actual Tankies, I can probably come up with a better parody of a bad leftist that won't be latched onto like Tabby has.

I wanted to post more to elaborate but I'm feeling too sick today but I just want to say that it's *blowing my mind* that people embraced Tabby.

The internet is beautiful.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

pro-mra transwoman.

:prepop:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
edit: people already said it better itt

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 26, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I remember some stream or video commentary where Contra said debating Blair was a huge mistake and a miserable experience.

rip contrapoints

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Falstaff posted:

Contra touched on it; she said most of the cost of the tickets was going to the guests in the form of flights, hotel rooms, etc. It's pretty far from a death blow against the economic critique of what she's doing, though.

I think she's realized that what she's doing is ultimately counterproductive on a number of levels, since she's said she isn't going to be doing any more events like this, but she feels an obligation to go through with this one since she committed to doing it. I can sympathize with that mentality (I hate going back on my word myself), even if I think it's wrong.

I know I'm being kind of an rear end for pointing this out but... She did say before she wouldn't do any more debates after she debated Blaire, it clearly took a toll on her psychologically (Blaire is pretty bad) and I felt like that was a completely reasonable decision.

Contrapoints changes her mind over stuff and I used to admire that, she's not afraid of going back and admit she was wrong. Like in the earlier videos she was a little bit more critical of Anita Sarkeesian and then later in one of the commentary videos she was kinda "actually I was wrong about this, back then I was still very conditioned to all the gamergater rhetoric that people repeated around her but now I know this is bullshit". So yeah, it's not like I looked up to Contrapoints as a mistress of all The Good and Perfect Takes, but I felt like her videos were a journey where both she and me (as the audience) were thinking and learning about stuff together.

But now I don't know anymore. I don't feel the same sense of progress. She's actively choosing to die on some hosed up hills. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

I will admit that the parts where hbomberguy does the fake laughing for an extended period of time are pretty awkward, but there aren't really that many options for humor-focused leftist Youtubes mocking alt-right Youtubes. shaun's stuff is definitely the best if you're looking for the best actual arguments and information, and Contra is pretty good for a social issues-specific take with a mix of humor/entertainment.

hbomb is definitely getting better, the soyboy video was genius.

• Locked thread