Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I for one, am excited to see all my non-nerdy friends make may the 4th posts on social media like they even know what a midichlorian is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

anime is good but code vein might not be because it's by the same team as god eater and they're bad at making combat satisfying based on what everyone says about those games

Everything about the combat shown in the trailer backs this post up. Though Imo the anime faces surrounded by dark and grungy armor is a cool art direction I wouldn't think Id like. It's really unsettling.

Weighing in on the Heroes of the Storm chat. I can see that it's well made and pretty, and imho it could probably be a good and fun game assuming you've never played Dota2 or Smite. The reason why is that those games require more skill and map awareness and a more rewarding for it, so HotS will stimulate your brain less and reward you less.

It's kind of a crapshoot depending on if you play LoL. If you're bad at league, i could see someone thinking HotS is boring. But if you're good at league I could see the opposite since as you go up in League the builds and lanes and heroes become more static, something Riot literally enforces.

Tldr if you play a good Moba, HotS is bad. If you play a similar babby's first Moba it depends on what you like. If youve never played a Moba it's probably fun with its low time commitment a la fps matches.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

I've never really had anyone coherently explain to me what it is about MOBAs that is enjoyable.

I think this is different for different people and different mobas. League is more accessible and shorter than Dota, so it captures that "play with your friends as a team" feeling that the gaming industry has mostly abandoned. League also has plenty of skill shots that give you instant gratification. Dota really rewards awareness and knowledge more than flat out skill on the pub level which is why i have 2500+ hours in it. I feel less like I played better when I win and more like I played smarter. Smite is kind of inbetween the two, at least when i last played.

They also have a lot of variety. Even with dotas one map, it would take 60k people playing 24/7 roughly 4 trillion years to play matches with every combination of hero, let alone skill builds, item builds, and farm priority. Assuming i didnt terribly gently caress up my math.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Let us never forget the venerable origin of the MOBA: Warcraft 3 for people who couldn't handle controlling more than one unit.

This implies that Warcraft 3 required you to use more than one unit most of the time, which is false.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Son I averaged 150 APM back in the day, those Huntresses don't mass themselves you know.

A large mass of huntresses hmmm? Be a shame if they got hit with a firestorm/blizzard/other stupid powerful spell.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dota owns because you can use allchat to take advantage of the toxicity of the playerbase and get the enemy team to tilt so you win. In fact in the recent big tournament the 16th seed took out the 1st seed by using taunts in the middle of fights and beat the 1st seed because they tilted so hard. Of course in combination with good plays but the experience and skill differential meant the 1st seed really should not have lost those games that hard if at all. It was glorious to watch.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

berseria has pretty good combat and if you have any trouble with it you can turn down the difficulty wherever you're having trouble and it's pretty much a cake walk. it's the absolute best game in the series, it's a bit slow for act 1 but like immediately after that it picks up into something really great that keeps building momentum and getting better and better until you reach the end, and velvet is one of the best jrpg protags ever

for trails, starting with the first game in either sky or cold steel are both equally valid. sky is the first one in the series and it's really good but if you want a more refined game cold steel is also written so you can just jump right in

Does berseria get some mileage if you played vesperia(i think that's the thousand year sequal)?
Because vesp is kind of dragging and I put it down 2 months ago because of it, but possibly getting more enjoyment out of its improved prequel might motivate me to finally beat a Tales game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I laughed at the bit in the Code Vein trailer where they are fighting a souls-esque 12 ft fall human enemy and it turns around and has a generic anime girl face. It's a way of rendering people that gets more and more jarring for me the more detail and 3d-depth is added to everything else in a game.

I love it as an unsettling art style that could be used well for a survival horror game or in a souls-esque game made by good devs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i'm still holding out hope for the crossbell games, the weird in-between duology of trails that takes place around the same point in time as cold steel and centers around you playing as a cop beating up criminals with cyber tonfas in a small city caught in a land dispute between two gargantuan nations

vesperia is not remotely connected to berseria. berseria is a distant prequel to tales of zestiria, but you don't have to play tales of zestiria and in fact probably shouldn't because there are only a few important connections and none of them are critical to enjoying berseria, and in fact add nothing but frustration. tales of zestiria is a very bad game and the only things you'll get from understanding the connections is an understanding of how much berseria had to mop up its mess

Cool thank you, i legit forgot the name of Zestiria which goes to show how much i enjoyed it before putting it down. Ill have to Pick up Berseria next time I feel a jrpg urge.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Imho Dark Souls 1 is still the best souls game. The highs arent as high as Demons, but it's much more consistently high than low comparatively. The combat just wasnt as good in 2 and 3. I havent played Bloodborne but I think it's different enough to be considered separately from Souls games even though it's still rather similar.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Witcher 3's major flaw is that there are only like two ambient conversations between NPCs per area and they repeat every time you walk by. Aye, so it were

Your kind breeds defeatism, dessertion, and disease

Lurdiak posted:

I witch the world of Wisher 3 wasn't so unrelentingly pessimistic and bleak. I mean I get it that that's their thing, a medieval fantasy setting that doesn't overlook how bad medieval times actually were for 99% of the population, but it's a bit exhausting that half my quests end with someone dying miserably or losing their home or whatever.

This is reasonable, but coming off Skyrim being the last open world fantasy game i played it was a refreshing change from singlehandedly improving everyone's lives.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All this Witcher talk just reminds me how cool it is that cdpr let people use their assets for moding. Meaning that in my current Skyrim playthrough I get to walk around in this armor
while my sassy teenage giantess sends enemies into orbit while wearing an outfit that uses some of Triss' outfit as its base.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
PoE is really interesting from an RPG design perspective, and the art is pretty good if lacking in colors. The combat is Baldur's gate and the writing can be really drat dense hard fantasy. But most importantly to me, they showed that you can make a system where all stats matter and define your character, almost killing off dump stats entirely.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'm not sure what the situation is now but at least at release this really wasn't case. Most builds had a stat or two that were far more important than the other stats, which could often be dumped without a problem since the bonuses they gave were really marginal.

I mean optimization is still a thing, but the stat you might reduce is not guaranteed. It depends on what you're going for. I meant dump stats less as a stat you're fine reducing, and more like DnD where there's a stat that you could remove from your character sheet entirely with how unimportant it is.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Truga posted:

All stats are super important now for pretty much any class, and unless you go into extreme min-maxing no build will be hilariously broken compared to average. You can still super easily make a poo poo build, though. Just dump accuracy, enjoy not hitting anything ever lol

Accuracy is mostly tied to your class, so the worst you can get is 12 accuracy at level 1 on one of the 3 classes with the most abilities that can target lower defenses.

Accuracy as a secondary stat does create an issue though, which is that Fighters are the actual best mages in the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

ADD would probably prevent a person from obsessively playing a videogame for 18 years

Depends on the ADD. Inattentive yes, hyper attentive, probably not

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

isn't hyper attentive attention deficit an oxymoron. i always thought it stood for hyperactive

Attentive is a subset of both add and adhd(hyperactive)

It's not an oxymoron because you become too focused to notice other things.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My favourite fries not covered in poutine are from Dairy Queen. Just perfectly crispy in a way that makes them really unique when compared to baked fries. Whereas a couple potatoes, some salt, and an oven can put a majority of fast and casual fries to shame.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about a veggie burger?

Veggie burgers kill not only your own soul, but the souls of those around you as well. Also they taste like crap and aren't real burgers.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Not very useful advice for vegetarians

If you're vegetarian, why try to recreate a dish that literally revolves around the taste of meat though? Imho veggie burgers are akin to calling a grilled eggplant "veggie steak"

Don't get me wrong, a grilled mushroom sandwich can be tasty as hell, but it's not a burger.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between fanart and fanfiction, really

One is visual which typically prevents those bad at it from putting it up publicly. The other is words and every fuckoff thinks they can string words together well so there's a surplus of it shared by people who are bad at it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I think, like Halo games for the gameplay or not, you have to admit that the 343 Halos are really lacking for not having a Marty O'Donnell score, the music in Halo 4 and 5 is just so fuckin forgettable. Literally, I can't actually remember any bit of those games' soundtracks while I'll probably have bits of the OTrilogy's music stuck in my head until I die. Now ODST, that was a game with a good score. Give me some sweet saxophone music to shoot aliens by.

Honestly this game was way better than it had any right to be and I'm forever disappointed that the proposed sequel never came to light.

Halos combination of epic classic pieces and buttrock was so good that even though anyone who listens to it as music makes me cringe, I cant help but get pumped while hearing it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think video games could be the best way to present horror because you can directly control what a player knows and sees and ultimately the player is responsible for the consequences of their decisions.
Like the fighters guild quest in Oblivion where you do lizard drugs and it turns out you didn't kill ogres like you saw, but slaughtered a village of innocent people. You can't do that with movies or books.

Sadly, the cool things you can do are not really profitable compared to jump scares in a more generic killy game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

So what's GotY 2017 so far

Total Warhams 2 for me probably.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Not sure about just moms, but grandma from Windwaker is the best

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

There's nothing wrong with a fake gun looking kinda real if you don't live in a society ruled by fear.

Or a society filled with actual guns that children often have access to.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chumbler posted:

Look if kids weren't supposed to have guns it would've been in the bible.

:911:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

oddly enough i had no problem with the aesthetics of Super Meat Boy, maybe because they're much easier to ignore

Super meat boy is gross and edgy on top of a colorful world.

Isaac is poo poo on blood on vomit on poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All this AC: Syndicate talk is triggering me because Syndicate(2012) is my favourite FPS and it will never get a sequel because of nerds getting mad it wasn't't a remake of the snes game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

have you considered trying out some FPSes that aren't aggressively mediocre and making them your favorite i suggest doom 2016

Tried the demo and it was slow as heck and I couldn't cause enemies to scream in pain while gunning down their teammates before their head explodes so what's the point?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i mean even if doom 2016 didn't tickle your fancy there's a shitjillion other good FPS games out there in an oversaturated genre and roping yourself to syndicate 2012 as the best of the bunch is really strange to me

For some clarification: Im not saying its the best fps ever, just one that hit my personal fancies all together at the right time.

It also helps that the colors and music were a change of pace from other popular shooters. And that 2012 was one of the last years before I realized that fps is not an enjoyable genre for me on average.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

True. I mean, the resurgence brought back a nice handful of massive games that you can lose hours to - and they also reminded the market why these things died in the first place: they're kinda tedious to play.

Imho Pillars of Eternitys biggest problem is that it's in an uncanny valley for rpgs. Almost every possible character build is viable and you can go hog wild with your characters background and how they talk. But your actual influence on the world and other characters is lacking. It's like halfway between an open world rpg and a tabletop rpg but without the benefits those styles have.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Some of the worst advice you can give a person.

Nah, telling someone to get invested in Berserk is pretty much the crown jewel of terrible manga advice.

I just spent an unreasonable amount of time realizing that Elijah wood is my favourite actor just because he's such an amazing foil and is cast in weird rear end dark series along with comedies including Red v Blue season 10.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi chat thread

I tried sleeping at a reasonable time but my body decided that that wasn't a good idea so now I'm awake again just 3 hours later. Yay. What's everyone else up to this late

pretty much the same, playin dota/skyrim until I fall asleep again.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody, what's up

It's my birthday :confuoot:

I'm hoping it is a drama free day today. I don't need much else in life so if I can at least have that, I'll be "happy"

Happy birthday friend!
It always brightens my day a little when I see you post. From my perspective on the forums you seem like a genuinely nice guy and it's always nice to see that.

Also, geminis rule.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

I started Steambot Chronicles and Devil Summoner: Raidou last night and been flipflopping between the two. It feels like I accidentally picked two of the most boring games on the planet to play back to back, their controls and plot progression is so glacial.

I love Steambot and yeah it's slow as heck. But if you dont enjoy the weird slice of life side quest stuff like playing in a band and turning your murder bot into a taxi then you can get out of my face.

Iirc the most fun armor and weapon I used for most of the game came from the arena questline which is pretty early.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I went to see Deadpool and Logan in theaters. The Marvel tag on them meant really stupid parents brought their kids to see them regardless of the R rating.

I really like how both movies have HILARIOUSLY VIOLENT opening scenes, Deadpool with a dude loving splattered against a road sign as well as multiple gunned-down and eviscerated grunts, and Logan with a group of carjackers getting limbs graphically chopped off or get disemboweled.

When i went to see Deadpool i theatres the cinema manager was standing outside the individual theatre for it to turn away any and all children and teens. I gave him a high-five for his efforts.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

I see your point, but also, it's just so dense with jokes, like Veep

Are you saying it's a modern Airplane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: avatars
I just imagine FAK yells "OH MY GOD!" when weird things happen in his life.

• Locked thread