Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Its also missing the part where Andrew Jackson died 15 years before South Carolina became the first state to leave the Union.

Trump, from the interview: "I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little later you wouldn't have had the civil war"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

orange juche posted:

Like, how in the gently caress do you fit through doorways with balls that big? I mean yeah there's persevering in the face of intense enemy opposition, and then there's loving banging mortars on rocks to arm them and hurling into the face of a charging enemy force. Like, what the gently caress do you do after you have become the literal paragon of badassedness?

I grew up an Army officer's brat, so officers never bothered or awed or intimidated me. When I went to OCS, this guy was the CO, the only MoH winner on active duty at the time.
Maybe it was the oorah mentality of OCS, but when he snapped left in front of me at his inspection, it felt like God himself had stepped down to ask me WTF I was doing in his house. Definitely awed, definitely intimidated.
Mundy, nah. Krulak, nah. Gray... OK, I felt a bit awed when I met him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im glad ive made it this far without needing some nerd to study my actual poo poo

No uh... poo poo.

This is the granddaddest page.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

I've been shopping an idea to the airlines via singing telegram that they should partner with state and federal prisons to let non- or mildly violent offenders work as flight attendants at prison wages. $.30/hour is reasonable to expect a win-win for airlines, passengers, and inmates.

ConAir: Executive Order.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I thought he did. Or was it just the head investigator he fired

Nixon told the AG to fire the Watergate special prosecutor, the AG refused and resigned in protest.
Nixon told the Deputy AG to fire the Watergate special prosecutor, the Deputy AG refused and resigned in protest.
Nixon told the acting AG to fire the Watergate special prosecutor, which he did.
The acting AG? Robert Bork, who went on to be one of Reagan's picks for the Supreme Court. His nomination failed in part because of his views regarding and track record of granting disproportionate power to the executive.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Didn't most people here want Comey fired?

I understand they wanted it by President Clinton, but that's not happening.

With that aside, why would Session and Trump want Comey gone? I'm just kind of baffled.

Unpredicability
Divided loyalty

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

They were more than happy to go after Bill for stuff that happened or was alleged to have happened before his presidency.

As part of the broader attacks on his presidency, yes. As part of the impeachment, no.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

Who makes up a grand jury?

Registered voters, randomly chosen.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

you wonder what the hell they were thinking.

"How do we get more people to look at our catalogue?"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I am not a lawyer so there's probably fiddly legal stuff I'm getting wrong but my understanding is that it's "executive privilege". As a part of the separation of the branches of government the president is basically (kinda) immune to judicial rulings. Mostly. Sorta. It's a bit untested because, ya know, most people aren't bugfuck insane narcissistic megalomaniacs and they realize that placing the nation into constitutional crises by just saying "lol no" to everything a judge does is kind of a bad thing that will probably not work out to their favor.

Trump....does not.

Its fiddly all the way down. Presidential immunity from prosecution is a subset of executive privilege. While the issue of immunity from state prosecution has been pretty clear for almost 200 years, Presidential immunity from federal prosecution is arguably still open. The issue came up in Nixon v U.S. and the court asked the parties to brief the issue, but were able to decide the case without having to give an answer. (Which was/is the correct way to answer)
The phoneposting short version is,
1. Of all the branches of government, the executive is unitary; vested in a single person. The power of prosecution is an executive function. There is no way for the executive to prosecute the executive without the executive's consent. Anything else is a separation of powers problem. However, the Constitution specifically provides an answer to the separation of powers problem; impeachment.
In addition to the procedural problems with prosecuting the executive, there are some broader structural issues; does it more broadly violate the Constitution by allowing single prosecutors to interfere personally with the ability of the duly elected president to carry out the duties he/she has been elected to carry out?
The counters are: as a practical matter the executive is much less unitary than it was 200 years ago, and "who cares, this one is bad!"
2. The impeachment rules in the Constitution imply impeachment as a condition that must be fulfilled before prosecution: "but the Party convicted [I.e., successfully impeached] shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."
The counters are that the quoted language merely ensures that an impeached person cannot assert double jeopardy if prosecuted later, and that judges have been convicted first, then impeached (though judges are not unitary)

Presidential immunity is a bigger and deeper issue than today's "Trump bad!" (or yesterday's Clinton bad! or Nixon bad!) I am not a Trump fan and I'm not a fan of the imperial presidency and definitely not a fan of an imperious executive. Please step back a little and balance the very real long term damage to the presidency against poking and jabbing at a buffoon who happens to be president.
The courts (and the bureaucracy) are doing a good job of keeping the county on a reasonably even constitutional keel during the presidency of someone who neither knows nor cares about how the country functions on its most basic constitutional level. It world be a terrible irony to get rid of Trump by unnecessarily destroying the same institutions that we complain that he is destroying. The prosecution genie will not go back in the bottle once we loose it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I'm loving speechless.

Is this treason?
It's twitter-tribe treason, sure. (But what isn't?)

But it's not Constitutional treason.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

Some Mississippi passes convention of states from my usual nut jobs on social media. I can't recall exactly what the BS is with this deal again and googling is just turning up the conservative crazy sites. Someone help me out with the catch. Something like they try this stupid poo poo every year or something?

What Dead Reckoning said, plus it was Missouri.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

What's the significance of the Mueller appointment?

Because Sessions recused from the Russia investigation, appointed by deputy AG Rosenstein (maybe Trump shouldn't have tried to throw him under the bus re: Comey's firing)

Prosecutor most of his career, a bureaucrat (in its best sense) not a politician
Beholden to nobody
Comey was deputy AG when Mueller was FBI director
It was Mueller and Comey who threatened to resign over Bush 2's domestic wiretapping program until some unspecified changes were made to make it less unconstitutional.
Mueller backed Comey's play to prevent Alberto Gonzalez and Andrew Card from badgering John Ashcroft on his sickbed to sign off on the domestic wiretapping.

The DoJ has promulgated its own rules for special prosecutors.
Pertinent parts:

quote:

(a)Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

quote:

A Special Counsel may request the assignment of appropriate Department employees to assist the Special Counsel. The Department shall gather and provide the Special Counsel with the names and resumes of appropriate personnel available for detail. The Special Counsel may also request the detail of specific employees, and the office for which the designated employee works shall make reasonable efforts to accommodate the request. The Special Counsel shall assign the duties and supervise the work of such employees while they are assigned to the Special Counsel. If necessary, the Special Counsel may request that additional personnel be hired or assigned from outside the Department. All personnel in the Department shall cooperate to the fullest extent possible with the Special Counsel.

quote:

Subject to the limitations in the following paragraphs, the Special Counsel shall exercise, within the scope of his or her jurisdiction, the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney. Except as provided in this part, the Special Counsel shall determine whether and to what extent to inform or consult with the Attorney General or others within the Department about the conduct of his or her duties and responsibilities.

quote:

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.
Caveat:, the AG (or in this case, his deputy) has inherent authority to appoint a special prosecutor with whatever rules the AG wants to apply. There is no indication that this is being done.
E: Mueller's been appointed according to the DoJ rules:

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 18, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

Isn't Jeff Sessions the head of the DoJ? If so, why would he, or his office, choose a guy who isn't a push over?

Because he recused himself from the Russia investigation, it's not his call. Check and mate, bitch!
And Rosenstein is a bureaucrat (again, in its best sense), not a politician, and Trump already tried to burn him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of the congressional reporters is said that the word "treason" is seriously being used regarding Flynn today. Sorry, shim :(

Also check your PMs please.

How? At worst he was aiding Turkey, an ally.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Flynn literally delayed an operation against ISIS because Turkey wanted it delayed.

There might have been good arguments for delaying the operation, but Flynn was paid $500,000 by Turkey. So, why'd he recommend the delay? Does he even know why he recommended the delay, because Turkey was his friend or because it was the right call?

If you're talking 18 USC 2381 treason, you miss "enemy" and you miss specific treasonous intent. You might miss the two witness rule, too.
The founding fathers specifically and intentionally limited the definition of treason because the British often pulled the same "everything I don't like is treason" bullcrap.

But if you're talking Twitter tribe treason, carry on, just don't conflate it with the law against treason.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I'm facing a ban if trump gets the boot :ohdear:

If you get a ban for that, I'll joyfully rereg you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Arc Light posted:

I wonder who will play Trump in the inevitable movie 10-20 years from now.

If he wasn't dead, Philip Seymour Hoffman. He could also play Bannon.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Im glad we've pretty much codified into law that not being a threat to anyone is worthy of summary execution so long as it ensures you go home safe

The commonlaw in action!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

TBeats posted:

The court of public opinion is pretty important.

Not as important as a court of law, which can put you in prison. Flynn doesn't need to spill his guts yet, and the investigations don't need to pay for his testimony with immunity yet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

That's all actually quite interesting. I've kind of wondered that myself a few times. I mean, why couldn't they just change the last name by a few letters to something totally benign, like maybe Himler? I dunno just a thought.

How about Hilter?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

As a rule in the United States you can't sue over defaming the dead. Granted I haven't been following this, so I don't know if Hannity went off about living people too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_infliction_of_emotional_distress
(not saying it would be successful, just what it could be filed as)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 23, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

KildarX posted:

Is the director position a management position or do you need to actually know what the hell you're doing.?

What I'm getting at is, does some jerk who got a management degree as qualified to be the FBI director as a former Investigator/FBI Agent/Lawyer/Counter-Intel guy?
You actually need to know what the hell you're doing, but it's not a requirement.

Here is the entirety of the qualifications for FBI director:
Be
1) Appointed by the President,
and
2) Confirmed by the Senate.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BigDave posted:

Wait, Duterte is bombing cities in the Philippines? As in full on Arc Light-style bombing missions?

The Phillipines doesn't have any B-52s, but they have some AS-211s, SF-260s and OV-10s.

This press release says two planes dropped several bombs on the outskirts of Marawi yesterday, but more sites are reporting that as of today, air strikes have been ruled out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BigDave posted:

This might be a dumb question, but why would so many Republicans get into bed with the Russkies? I can't seriously believe they thought it would be a good idea to start doing secret business with Putin.

Where else on earth are you going to find like minded (totalitarian and culturally retrograde) and like colored people?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

Sometimes I almost feel like I'm missing out because I've never been approached by Russians for anything

Can you imagine how happily uncool the three GOP congressmen who weren't approached feel?
There should be a German compound noun for that feeling, too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Spicey is saying the press totally misquoted Angela Merkel. She totally didn't say that Germany could no longer rely on America. The outcome is totally what Trump intended to do, more shared burden and a fair relationship of friendship. :lol:

"The national security team is working on a "holistic solution" to the abject poverty which is the breeding ground for terrorism. Okay bud.

Arschloch means "awesome" in German, right?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Does acting official mean Obama nomination or career civil servant in this case?

Both. Career Foreign Service since the Reagan era, appointed/confirmed as ambassador to Jordan and later Iraq during Obama administration.
He ended up acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs when Anne Patterson quit in January.

May be a rock or may have been thinking about how he was going to pay his mortgage.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Actually, since he's a law enforcement officer and this all happened during his official duties his testimony isn't hersay and is admissible as evidence in court.

Cite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Zeris posted:

Google "comey memo" and read any reputable publication's article. They all covered this.

Not in the least - but as a practical matter, it's unimportant (and lawspergy and derailing)

• Locked thread