Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also no one has ever refinanced a loan they couldn't afford to get a co-signer off. I mean, I'm sure they have but for purposes of this lesson IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED. The lender has absolutely no interest in removing the one good borrower from the risk pool.

I know because I've been there.

Bingo. I can't blame them for it, but it's still a shame that people think refinancing means something other than "new loan on the same old poo poo". When it comes to student loans, for instance, if you want to release a cosigner, you need to pay off the loan. I used to be really BWM, now I'm OKWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Indeed, at 21 she shouldn't be tying herself down to the demands of an older man

She should be enjoying the freedom and liberation available to a young independent woman who has to do whatever Daddy says

Pretty much. She might be making a mistake but her parents are insane for acting this way. Her reaction might not be 100% rational, but it should be expected.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Painting a bit broad with that brush, ya think? You think people your age aren't voting against their interests right this instant? And you think it's "just" to have people just die from exposure on the street for it, regardless of what they might have voted for?

The article seriously buries THAT particular lede:

It's sad that those people are out on the street because I believe that any developed nation should have a safety net that prevents that kind of thing.

As far as I'm concerned, every boomer can freeze to death outside. They consistently gently caress over any group they don't feel they belong to. I constantly see them bitching all over Facebook (even the loving liberal ones) that how dare someone call their social security a "benefit" or "entitlement" because GAWDAMMIT I WORKED FOR THAT MONEY since they obviously feel they deserve it more than people on food stamps or disability. This is the generation that pushed us all into college and let tuition and fees soar, then took away BK protections for student loans when private and public universities alike preyed on people just trying to keep up. These are the people that have forced minimum wage to stagnate for decades. These are also the people whose greed and loving stupidity caused the housing crash. They're the people making it harder for everyone to vote.

Yeah, millennials have their problems too, but most of them were inherited by a generation who came of age in one of the most plentiful economic environments this country has ever had, then pushed every policy that would make it so no one else could benefit, and they refuse to retire so the next generation can take over because they all hosed themselves and need to work until they die.

Ooooo I hate boomers.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Higgy posted:

Pull up thread, pull up! It's so bad it attracted John Smith!

I cosigned for my brother's car. He stopped making payments on it

Which do you think would be better, if he is or isn't on the title and registration?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Being born in the richest society in human history is soooo hard poor me it's all daddy's fault :cry:

I mean if all your daddy says is FYGM, he might be at least partly to blame. And I'm not going to feel sorry for him when his feet fall off due to frostbite because he's living in the same world he wants for everyone else.

e: gently caress boomers they can all eat cat food

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

That was my main rationalisation for ordering that instead of something more reasonable. But I’d eat like 3/4 of that in a single sitting.

Taking care of your mental health is GWM and GWL. Seriously, if you were making GBS threads green confetti on the reg, you’d go see the rear end doctor and take rear end pills, no question asked. If your brain is doing weird poo poo, go see a brain doctor and take brain pills. Off topic I guess, but it needs to be repeated over and over until nobody feels shame in seeing a therapist.

The happy pills changed my life. Best $10/month I’ve ever spent.

Can't echo enough. Unmanaged sadbrains often makes it drat near impossible to get out of debt or stay out of it; you make one mistake and the compounding effects of punitive fees, lack of motivation, and cognitive decline can put you in the hole for years.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wife's much younger cousin has been living with us and driving a shitbox Nissan her father, who sells cars for a living, somehow sold her for $5k. Being a shitbox, she recently discovered it's burnt up all it's oil at the same time she took a promotion that doubles, if not triples her commute. So the car issue is pretty fresh in our discussions.

She SHOULD buy a 4 or 5 year old car, but financing that might be a problem. She's also going to put a lot of miles on the car between work and school and needs something reliable with a warranty. So it can pay to go new. She should get a base model Mazda 3 that will take up about 40% of her income increase with this new position. What she will probably buy is a Ford Mustang, because no 21 year old has ever purchased a reasonable car and then she will never ever move out of my house.

I can vouch for the Mazda3, it is fun, comfy, and great on gas. With a commute like that she needs a Mustang like she needs a hole in her head.

Have you made plans for where/how you will dispose of her body when she comes home with a pony car?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Jesus, no, she can definitely finance a late model used car.

Do banks even finance anything used under $10k or for less than 4-5%? https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listings/year-2010-2013/?page=3&sortOrder=PRICE_ASC I look at this search and I see a lot of cars that are going to need significant maintenance items soon if they don't already, and I'm guessing a person who needs to finance any of these cars is not doing that work on their own and they can't afford to have it in the garage for a couple days. A brand new Honda Fit is $16k, a Mazda 3 is $18k, someone with decent credit should be able to get around 2%, and the dealer usually throws in at least a couple free maintenance visits. If you go in with a decent down payment and get good financing with the intent of driving it until the wheels fall off, I can see the value in buying new, especially if any downtime is going to break you.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

is buying a car with 0 apr bwm

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

The real amount of money it takes to be happy is $420,000.69

Heh. Nice.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

But they have all the guns.

No they don't :j:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You know, I learned about Theranos when they first sprang up because I had worked for Walgreens as a tech since 2004 and it sounded fascinating. Despite my ability to work in a lovely industry for a lovely company, I did actually have a couple brain cells to rub together and immediately started bitching about how what they were saying they could do was patently bullshit. I was furious when Wag went and partnered with them--that and a string of similar decisions was basically why I left. So, I don't wanna say 'I told you so,' but I literally told a lot of people that Elizabeth Holmes was a scam artist or actually believed in voodoo. Every single entity which intentionally gave money to Holmes or Theranos 500% deserves to get turbofucked, and if they did it by accident they need to be slapped a couple times until they learn to start paying attention. A lot of patients were directly harmed by this poo poo and every org which got involved has lost all credibility. When your business is supposedly health care, lack of credibility raises an already significant barrier to patient education and compliance.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

balancedbias posted:

What do they actually DO? I mean, this is like if Enron showed up today and said they're still shifting new paradigms in a transitioning marketplace :psypop:

Fraud is literally all they actually do. Holmes is barred from working in labs for 2 years and isn't sane enough to hide inside a similar company--she's obsessed with being a Steve Jobs-esque proselytizer CEO. What they supposedly did was develop lab tech that would allow a wide array of blood tests using only a single drop of blood, do it cheaper than everyone else, and do it faster than everyone else. What actually happened is that patients went into these clinics inside Walgreens for lab tests their doctors ordered and had small amounts of blood drawn and sent to Theranos, who actually performed the tests using conventional lab equipment in most cases, or returned inaccurate and/or inconsistent results using their own equipment, and took longer to do it. They charged people and CMS for these bunk tests that didn't work. People often had to come back to give more blood. When the cat got out of the bag that Theranos was actually using conventional lab equipment, they claimed they were doing it to validate their results when Holmes managed to poo poo out anything like addressing the issue. They refused to publish any results on their method in peer reviewed journals. They did tests on people using medical devices before even applying for FDA approval.

Theranos was so bad that it seems they didn't even have reliable finger stick glucose tests. This is a test that gives accurate, consistent results using a small drop of blood in a handheld machine that manufacturers literally give away (to get you to buy the strips but still).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

There isn't an Addams Family Values pinball table. It's an Addams Family table and it's fantastic
:goonsay:

Well if that's the case, there is no way in hell that Theranos got hold of one.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

On one hand yes that is a lot of money, on the other hand there are not that many people with experience and qualifications to run a company that employs 300,000 people. Executive salaries are high and arguably too high relative to employee salaries in the United States but there are also structural reasons for that and models where executives are paid nothing or almost nothing if the company does poorly probably won't succeed.

I'm on board with the idea that if you want to attract/retain talent/experience/qualifications, you need to pay them commensurately. The problem I see in practice, though, is that executives retain their high pay and benefits and continue to be paid bonuses even when companies perform so poorly that employees need to be laid off/have benefits reduced. If we're going to say that high exec pay is that way because execs bring something to the table, they need to actually bring it to the table. If there are too many factors outside executive control to reduce compensation when the company performs poorly, it stands to reason that the good times don't have as much to do with execs as people like to think.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

God built the Pyramid Scheme

It was aliens.

The ones who created humans.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Yeah but what changes with someone's drinking in less than one month that before you were gonna marry the guy and were buying him a truck and now you have broken up? Maybe a DUI?

She probably had something important planned and he blew it by getting shitfaced/was still too hungover to participate and she decided to bounce.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Listen it's a perfectly valid plan that hinges entirely on purchasing property for less than its real value.

IDK why you guys aren't getting this.

In before he starts talking about monthly payments.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Considering the number of alcoholics who are that way due to self-medicating from personality or mood disorders, the all-or-nothing approach is especially harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Vasectomies are even BetterWM if you get Tricare to cover it.

Thank you taxpayers.