Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I remember reworking the text scroll from the Butcher quest-giver in Diablo to fit the "scammed by the dealership" complaint. Sadly, the image from the original thread has been lost to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We had somebody quit today because they were moving in a couple of months with their husband.

Why did they quit now instead of in a couple months when they move?

Because they have been here for 9 years and 10 months. You become vested in the pension plan at 10 years (50% of your average salary for your 3 highest earning years of service until death, starting at age 62 unless you do at least 20 years) and if you quit before you become vested you get your pension contributions back with no interest.

She took a payout of about $8,000 instead of the pension and even had the HR Office and Pension Office repeatedly try to tell her not to quit just for this reason.

If she lives to be 80, then she got that 8k in exchange for 270k over 18 years.

I disagree with her decision, but I must point out that it's almost certain that the pension plan does not mean you get a full 50% benefit for a mere ten years of service. If it's anything like other plans, she would get a fraction of the 50%, and perhaps even that would be reduced further due to not working the full 30 years or so.

"Vested" just means that you get the benefit of the pension plan. It doesn't mean "full pension benefits have been earned." If ten years meant a 50% pension down the line, every Tom, Dick, and Harry would go somewhere else after ten years. If your plan gives full benefits after ten years, let me know so I can sign up.

e.g. Suppose I am vested in a government pension with ten years of service. I get 10 × 1.7% of my best 3-year average, or 17%. Since I don't have 30 years (full term of service), I get only 70% of that 17%, which is roughly 12%. If I were on $30k/year, that would be $3,600/year once I hit retirement age. Still a dumb thing to give up, I agree, but it's not $15k/year.

I admit I don't know the terms of your pension. I'm not saying it's impossible. Just that I would be floored if the pension scheme were actually structured in that generous manner.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 3, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Under the old plan, you are vested after 10 years and get full benefits after 15 (if you're older than 60) or 20. They did away with that plan, but she was grandfathered in. The new plan is much less generous, but still pretty good.

I just calculated her plan to check and she would have gotten about $9,100 per year starting at age 62.

Holy poo poo that's a drat good plan.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I have a channel on YouTube with over 1 million views, and it has earned several hundred dollars over a couple of years. I haven't posted a video in over a year. It has paid for a nice microphone, mic amp, and video capture software license, with cash to spare. I already had access to Adobe Suite so that was an expense avoided that the "career YouTubers" need to pay.

There is no way in hell it's an efficient profit generator for anyone but a tiny outlier segment. For extra money, I'd have been better off working at Starbucks. The video editing/production part of it was fun, but it horrifies me that there are kids pursuing this instead of a real career. There is practically no barrier to entry, the future viability is uncertain, and the payouts are small.

Fun hobby, extremely BWM career/job.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/North-Trail-RV-Center-736402/listing/2017-Newmar-Dutch-Star-4369-121860900

$458,000 MSRP. Car equity? How about RV equity?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

A little old, but still good:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-bets-whopping-223000-hillary-9049272

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I assume most of us have seen the unapologetic stock market dice roll subreddit, but if not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in the ultimate irony horses become GWM

I legit chuckled. If horses ever become GWM there won't be any internet forums for the I Told You So posts, though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The social network sales that rely on emotional blackmail are the worst. I've been above the fray on it but man it's all in such bad taste. It's like kids going door-to-door selling overpriced catalog items, except grown-ups are doing it.

No Butt Stuff posted:

what a dummy degenerate

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

It sounds like you dodged a bullet, but I think the real story here is that this snowflake was somehow the top choice. :sad:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Total price: $1,949.35 :eyepop:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Parents lend daughter $368,000.

It sounds like it took a number of loans over a number of years to get to that point. I know it was their child, but you should probably stop throwing good money after bad well before you hit $368,000.

quote:

This article has more details about Johnny Depp's money issues.
Guy spends $30k/month on wine

In all fairness, if I were Johnny Depp, I might have a month or two like that.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

BloodBag posted:

How big of a bloodsucking entourage does Johnny Depp have that he can blow through $30k in wine a month? Didn't our one true god Nicholas Cage have similar issues with stupid spending on stuff like rare comics?

Didn't MC Hammer and Mike Tyson both have huge entourages that all vanished when the money dried up?

Yes.

quote:

Originally having an estimated net worth of over $33 million according to Forbes magazine ... Hammer ultimately became $13 million in debt.

Also: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/11/17/nicolas.cage.lawsuit/

quote:

Nicolas Cage brought about his own financial ruin with a spending spree that included two castles, 15 palatial homes, a flotilla of yachts and a squadron of Rolls Royces, his former business manager said.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

golden bubble posted:

I can't find the interview at the moment. But there was one philanthropist who said the worst part of giving away hundreds of millions was watching his name fall off of the Forbes billionaires list. Even though the philanthropist knew they enough money for them and all their decedents, they still felt terrible about dropping off the Forbes high score list. Because at some point, the only things left to buy are dick-waving status and private armies, and private armies are so Early Modern.

http://gulfelitemag.com/the-fabulous-life-of-saudi-billionaire-prince-alwaleed/

Forbes was sued for defamation because of it!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Volmarias posted:

No, just the opposite.

If you ever end up in a hellish existence locked in to your body and unable to communicate, living in pain, they have every incentive to keep you "alive" for as long as possible, since you cannot say no to them spending your money...

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The two Vancouvers are too close together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2us77l/i_lost_half_of_my_life_saving_trading_stocks_and/

quote:

late November I started dailytrading stocks, and now after 3 months I have lost more than half of my life savings, the total loss is like $7872.(which is like 70% lost of my life savings)

Maybe a repost, but a good reminder that people with no knowledge about investing shouldn't "manage" their own stock trading.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Thank you for your contribution, that was a good story. Other than being irresponsible with money, the Reddit poster's parents are apparently also bad at preparing real estate for sale:

quote:

Going to be quite frank, the old house was ugly and in disrepair. Very ugly. Surprised it even sold.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The expression, "the macaw in the macaroni" is still used idiomatically in some parts of northern Italy to refer to any sort of early warning system.

One particularly successful bird vendor grew rich and became known in those parts as "the Teflon Don" which an expression still in use today.

ranbo das posted:

I just found out my grandmother managed to turn $1m in 1994 dollars into $500k of today dollars.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your grandmother did not generate the initial million.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Area ROTC gets 7% returns! Banks hate him!
<click for article>

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Now there's a face you can trust.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Then again I recently learned that its never been a "health violation" to be barefoot in a grocery store either, and I was always told that as well, so I don't know what's true except that US law is confusing and stupid.

When grocery shopping with my wife, I've been asked every now and then for my wife's ID even after providing my own to buy alcohol. They claim that state law requires it (it doesn't). BWM by trying to curtail sales of alcohol through ignorance of the law.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Noctone posted:

When I worked at a grocer in Nebraska we were always told we had to ID anyone who touched or talked about the alcohol being bought. Always was curious if that was actually the law or just a CYA type of thing.

That'll be a state-by-state thing. Plus, the store may enforce its own additional sales policies.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I am on the cusp of taking Silicon Valley by storm. If you have any doubts, read this letter I sent my mommy and daddy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Loosely related but trying to "business talk" potential clients or collaborators that are smarter than you is bwm. If you're gonna try to talk to me or butt into my convos uninvited and unsolicited, you have to actually say something.

I have learned that there are only two real emotions in life: love and anger.

Life is not as complicated as people make it out to be as long as you’re not lazy.

Life is actually very simple.

We are always mentally at either peace or war.

You show love to your friends in peace and anger to your enemies in war.

That’s it.

Peace or War.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Hargrimm posted:

Sleep nice and cozy in your big pile of mildew

Almost as bad as basement pool:

Inept posted:

Yeah it's almost like abuse fucks with people or something

In all fairness it's not clear whether the mother is taking advantage of her child or merely offsetting the cost of supporting a shiftless, MMO-addicted manchild.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Bob Barker's Beauties on The Price Is Right have had more luck protecting their interests than NFL cheerleaders, but I suspect that many of them (the NFL cheerleaders) still do alright. Former Virginia Governor McDonnell is married to a former Redskins cheerleader. On topic: they were prosecuted in federal court for being BWM/ethics!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

529 plans are awesome, but what if your 4-year-old daughter needs tumbling lessons, tumbling gear, and designer doll outfits?

I don't endorse the snake oil product or the disgraceful behavior of those women, but gut health is pretty drat important to more than just your digestion.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-htmlstory.html

quote:

“If we cut every single program and expense from the state budget and redirected that money to this bill, SB 562, we wouldn’t even cover half of the $400-billion price tag.”

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

An outspoken liberal friend of mine recently posted a "rich get richer" envy article railing against the benefits homeowners receive through the mortgage interest tax deduction. The article featured hard-up Americans who had to rent and who lacked the "wealth" to buy a home and the benefits that come with it.

Of their limited number of examples, one was a janitor with four kids and a stay-at-home wife. Another was an ex-con with a robbery conviction.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

No comment needed?

Yes, that's the one. Complaining about the mortgage interest tax deduction that helps homeowners afford maintenance costs on their home seemed like a silly target to be aiming for.

Senor Dog posted:

I respect the trolling but dude this thread has enough politics derails as it is

In and of themselves those two posts presented "bad with money" decisions (e.g. "I was convicted of robbery, and shockingly now I am in an economic pit!"). But I see your point and will dial it back a bit from here on out.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The mortgage interest rate deduction is a handout for the relatively wealthy, and is far larger than welfare and food stamps combined.

There's a huge difference between not taxing someone for something and giving free things away to people.

To put it in the parlance of this thread, it is the difference between giving someone a free horse and refraining from taxing a horse owned by someone who paid for it in full with their own bad-with-money fund.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

“It turns out when you put soup and grilled cheese together, it’s really wonderful,” Kaplan informed his audience, as if divulging a trade secret.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I would think that a car-themed YouTube channel would be even worse than a video game channel. The reason being that for cars you have to attend shows, etcetera. That requires travel and expenses. Without any knowledge of automotive engineering, I really don't see what he can contribute either.

It's a low barrier of entry system and it is in my opinion a very dangerous pipedream for a lot of young men.

If I read that correctly, some college kid dismissed his father's plans for the money because of his father's "narrowed experiences." That's quite rich, don't you think? I love how that's followed with a request for an 18% annual return.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

"my dad's loans"

"his mistake"

What part of "unenforceable" does this knucklehead not understand?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just because it's not legally unenforceable doesn't mean it's not extremely lovely to say "Hey, I'm paying most of your loans," then "I'm paying half of your loans," then "I'm going to pay the absolute minimum I can on your loans and also pay late so your credit gets hosed," to "I'm done paying your loans."

The cancer changes things, but it's not like he knew he was going to get cancer.

He's never going to win father of the year, but he warned her years in advance that this would happen, plus he has cancer. It's not a great thing to break a promise to your child, but he still paid $500/month for years. Not every dad does that. Yet she calls them "his loans" and seeks gratitude for paying for her own degree. The fact that she is looking at $500/month cars tells me she feels too good for a $20,000 or less vehicle. She needs to suck it up and move on.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What do you suppose this thread's response would be if someone posted "I consigned for a loan and I want to stop paying it"?

Probably favorable, if accompanied by "a judge ruled that the agreement to pay was unenforceable."

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I know you're being facetious.

Cue an outraged John Oliver proselytizing his audience with clips of Congressmen shown to have investments in debt collection companies.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't want to turn this into a John Oliver derail but I'm real curious because I've met a lot of people who find him insufferable and I'm wondering like, how would you set up a show that does a similar thing (draw attention to a different topic each week about how poo poo's hosed, in a way that's entertaining rather than serious so The Darn Millennials will actually watch it) that wouldn't come off as "preachy"? Like I get why people hate John but I think the idea for the show is pretty good / important and i'd like to know if there's a better, uh, "version" of it out there or if one could even be made?

He can get so partisan and sanctimonious that it really is off-putting. I want to hear funny jokes (he can be truly hilarious), not some far left inquisitor shrieking at the camera. His is one of those shows where I feel the audience is waiting to find out if they're part of the group being mocked before they join in and laugh.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I was planning our wedding, I saw an article on The Knot about 5 things your fiance will do. One was balk at the prices, and the article said you needed to have other quotes ready to demonstrate that $5,000 is actually a good price for a wedding cake.

The Knot strikes me very much as the keeping up with the Jones's of the wedding world. Middle-class brides want to pretend for a day that they're (very) upper middle class. Social media peer pressure really leads to BWM decisions. That being said, wedding work can carry lots of overhead, is time consuming, and is not necessarily the license to print money you might assume, although admittedly a lot of money does change hands.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

quote:

I came from a well-off segment of society (compared to most the world, anyway)

I would never have guessed!

quote:

I was wasting a whole lot of potential

He's still talking to his mom, apparently.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Bitcoin ponzi schemes, amazing!

Being "introduced to a bitcoin trader" is a great line. Forget your bank or a brokerage, just give some random dude your money and market-busting returns are yours. All of these scams play off of dumb greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Invest in rest." Mattress futures my friends.

SCSS gamblers from 2008 are sleeping soundly.