Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Do they still do the dowry thing? Never really understood how it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

moana posted:

I get this all the time with my stay at home husband. "Oh, he plays drums? He should be a music teacher! Here's some links to freelancing sites with a couple of $15/hr jobs!"

Yeah, no, he's a dad, that's his job. It's not just family, it's literally everybody I meet if I tell them he's a SAHD... I've gotten it from people I just met at a party. It's like they're incapable of accepting that men might like to take care of children and be good at it.

But...he's not working. He needs to be working!

Does he need help working?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Macaroni posted:

Crosspost from the IT Help Desk thread. TL;DR: student insists that she has missed deadlines and lost fees/tuition due to a "compromised" student ID#; also a "professor" requested remote access to her computer from the Virgin Islands and quite possibly installed malware

Do you have a link? I'd love to read that thread.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MisterOblivious posted:

My understanding is that the soybean tarrif goes into effect today.

Great, so my grandfathers extended family can go bankrupt.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Carl Killer Miller posted:

My girlfriend, who's in training to become a dermatologist, is thinking about making and marketing a skin cream for horses. In her words, "they'll (horse people) buy anything!"

BWM, or the best with money?

Close, but pump it full of lavender and call it 'holistic equine epidural moisturizing creme'

Then sell it for $20 for a 3 oz tube and rake in the cash.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

boop the snoot posted:

Any room can be a bedroom if you put a bed in it!

This bedroom has a oven in it!

This bedroom is in someone else's house!

"Sir, your house has one of my bedrooms. Are you aware?!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CannonFodder posted:

Learning about tree law is like learning about the law enforcement side of the US Postal Service.

Before learning:
:) Trees have laws? That's nice // Post Office has law enforcement? My mail carrier is nice. :)

After learning
:stare: Do not gently caress with trees // Do not gently caress with the USPS :stonk:

Postal inspectors are like Fish and Game cops, or US Customs.

You may have never heard of them, but holy poo poo, loving with them is borderline suicidal.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ashcans posted:

If all the white people fled Stone Mountain, maybe we can finally scour off that horrible carving now? Or rig some sort of landslide to cover it, then turn the place back over to the native american groups that had lived there.

That still blows my loving mind. We dropped, what, $20 million of taxpayer money on that piece of poo poo eyesore? To idolize a bunch of racist redneck traitors?

:psyboom:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

The rich don't keep their assets denominated in that currency.

A diverse portfolio of US dollars, cocaine, minibikes, and automatic weapons.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

brugroffil posted:

Our soon to be newest Supreme Court Justice carried hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit card debt for "baseball tickets for friends" for years.

It mysteriously went to zero last year though so maybe gwm

I thought 'baseball tickets' was a euphemism for sports betting.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have only the dreaded anecdotal evidence but around Minneapolis 15 is about the base rate you can expect entry level, plus or minus 50 cents or so

That's about average. If you work overnights you can get $16 or $17.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Something Offal posted:

And what kind of crime is common to those immigrant communities, I'm assuming this fraud is tied to money laundering? So does it tend to be drugs, racketeering, embezzlement, does your institution know which are most common? Sorry for all the Qs, I should have probably gotten plat and PM'd :)

Bust out, what they did in the second season of the Sopranos.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vox Nihili posted:

It's 100% Equinox memberships with a smallish employer subsidy covering part of it.

I know the type.

Should I even ask what Equinox does to justify $500 a month?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Lame.

For $500 a month I would expect complimentary cocaine bowls and $150 a session hookers.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Motronic posted:

I wrecked my car without insurance, what should I do next?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9pv9pv/i_wrecked_my_car_without_insurance_what_should_i/

This is just sad in so many ways.

I mean, wow.

Do they not have lotto in Alabama?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dick Nipples posted:

Higher is always better. Just likes grades in school or points in football.

Real talk: most CC’s are 15-25% from what I’ve seen. If you get a really garbage card it’s 30+%. Anything below 10 is unheard of in my limited and anecdotal experience. That excludes the intro balance transfer offers of 0%.

Most commercial banks are gonna have credit cards in the 24-29% range, MAYBE 22% if you have perfect credit and a mortgage through the same bank.

My credit union has a master card in the 9.49 - 14.49% range, as contrast.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAUXTON posted:

This is an employee card from a big CC bank, presumably that's why the rate is prime+3.

Ahh, OK that explains it. Employees always get better rates then the public, it's part of the benefits package.

When I worked at Wells Fargo we could apply for a Visa with 4.95%.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAUXTON posted:

That's impressive even with the "lol wells fargo" factor.

we joke about sending our de-risked clients to WF, because wells don't give a fuuuuuck

This was 2009, so I think the prime rate then was 3.50% or something.

I'm sure today WF offers it at 9.50% or more.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How many of you have a Christmas Bonus / Year End Bonus as a substantial (let's call it more than 10% of your total compensation each year) part of your income?

Do your coworkers go Full Moron with the windfall?

bo...nus? It that some kind of fish?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

But they’ve already done that?

Right, but before you can dump you need to pump.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ashcans posted:

Normally I avoid zeroing in on single expenses, but uh let's talk about that $340 phone bill. What's going on there?

Amazingly I can't even figure out how that covers it all, seeing as you should be able to get an unlimited plan for multiple lines for half that cost before you add any phones. Boyfriend is GWM though, getting his bill paid by his girlfriend's homeless child. A++

Phone leases, the new iPhone XR runs $31 a month plus change.

Three of those, plus the monthly plan, plus taxes and BS fees... that should still only around $200-250 depending on the provider.

OK I give up, how is that bill more then $340 a month?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

wilderthanmild posted:

It may sound crazy but I am beginning to think this PF poster could be an unreliable narrator.

I am Jack's credit rating.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

sheri posted:

It's entirely possible to "fix" if we taxed the wealthy appropriately, stopped letting corporations hide their profits, and scaled back our absolutely over the top military spending.

Listen here you pinko commie meathead, America needs a strong army to help guard the rich people!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Betazoid posted:

Is it this thread or the Reddit relationships thread that posts about Funko Pops?

https://www.clickhole.com/best-revenge-this-nerd-was-bullied-throughout-high-sch-1830338973

I mean, Funko Pops tend to go hand in hand with bad finances.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

You can have Tom Arnold say anything for $100?

Helllllo Secret Santa gift.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SpelledBackwards posted:

Less dumb. It was called Washboard.

Went viral June 20, 2014 across all kinds of reporting sites as insanely stupid:
https://www.gq.com/story/washboard-laundry-quarters-delivery-startup

RIP June 26, 6 days later:
http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-laundry-quarters-startup-is-dead-1596481798

Wasn't that basically money laundering?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Guest2553 posted:

dream horses can quickly turn into night mares.

We really need to reign in these horse puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Lest we forget the tale of MTGOX.