Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some 2013 history and we have forsaken it.

Oh god, no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If she lives to be 80, then she got that 8k in exchange for 270k over 18 years.

Joke's on them. I don't plan to live that long. :smug:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I kind of want to have a conversation with a Youtube or Twitch star in the 20's or 30's and ask them what they assume their career trajectory is going to look like over the next 30 years.

Are they just gambling that Call of Duty will persist for 30 years?

I call it now, yes. It's been going for 14 years so far.

EDIT: The "release a recycled game every six months" has proven successful so far, at least.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 4, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

GamingHyena posted:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 9 - Northwest Indian War

Call of Battlefield XXXIII: Brothers of Heroes.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

GamingHyena posted:

Brothers of Heroes brings a fresh take on the Modern Warfare franchise by introducing Ted MacTavish, Soap's younger underachieving brother. Marvel at the cutting edge graphics as you battle your way through a terse and uncomfortable Thanksgiving dinner in the MacTavish household. Players can truly affect their world by choosing responses to events such as "are you ever going to marry that nice girl, what was her name, Karen?" and "your brother is off protecting our country, and you still work at Best Buy. When are you going to get off your rear end and DO something with your life, son?"

Citing recent events, some players have objected to the level, "no American" taking place in a busy airport when an overbooked flight requires you choose between taking an airline voucher or risk being involuntarily denied boarding. This level is now optional.

Press "E" to contemplate life decisions.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Ethnic markets can be good for produce deals too. Frustratingly, farmer's markets aren't, at least inside a city. I go every week and every week I'm surprised anew that the produce costs 4x what it does in the store across the street.

The millennia-long war between city and country dwellers continues, I see.

In any case, Woolworths of Australia sells slightly imperfect fruits and vegetables for marginally less than the closer to perfect ones. I live really close to some farms, though, so I just buy from their trading outpost.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

DarkHorse posted:

It reminds me of one of the ways I make a billion dollars relatable to people. Imagine one of the most expensive cars you can own, a new Lamborghini at around $400,000, which is as much as people's mortgages if not several times that.

You drive it for a week. At the end of the week, you push it off a cliff.

You could do it again the next week, and the next.

You could do it every week for forty eight years and still have enough for four more cars.

It's an insane amount of money. Like the guy that lost multiple briefcases of money and rolled his tricked-out van, to lose that much in a lifetime you'd have to have "spent the rest of it foolishly."

(Yes yes taxes and interest and inflation and yadda yadda it's an illustration ok)

I was thinking buying 18 various sports/luxury cars and having the world's most expensive demolition derby myself...

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah it's not wedding horse chat, so I think it's acceptable anyway.

Wait, debating the rules is a derail...I've become what I've always hated. BIRD ME!

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 15, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zo posted:

traveling to Europe every year, buying BMWs - "a small leak in budget"

you heard it here folks!

Depends on relativity, the budget could be $100,000,000,000 US a year.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zo posted:

true, but then they would be able to (barely) buy a house in Sydney with that kind of budget!

In the minute between you posting that and my response, the average house price in Sydney increased by 20%.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Canada and Australia is BWM. Gotta keep borrowing money to keep up with a Jones. New Zealand has been left out, things are looking shaky here and not because of the earthquakes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11859031

http://www.economist.com/news/ameri...r=dailydispatch

*Newspapers and economists will squawk and predict that the sky will fall at any second.*

*Average house price continues to head steadily towards $2 million.*

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hope the next huge housing crash causing mass homelessness and debt-induced suicide comes in 5-10 years. Then I can get in on a sweet foreclosure deal.

It will probably begin and end with a yuppie banker only getting a 9% bonus, instead of a 10% one.

Of course, he already spent 300% his annual salary included the expected slightly larger bonus, so...

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

The onset of a mental disorder.

Intensely arrogant yuppie hubris (I.A.Y.H)?

He reads like he read a Six Sigma / corporate cultist book, and attempted to slightly modify it.

To be fair to him, he just sounds like another naive teenager who has it all "figured out", as sadly, a younger Sic Semper Goon once was, until I actually had to deal with life outside the parental nest.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
GWM; spotted today, outside the coffee shop I was in: A junkie raiding the bucket ashtray things on the outside tables, in order to nick the butts and presumably scavenge the tobacco left on them.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

monster on a stick posted:

Didn't Chris McCandless of "Into the Wild" fame do the same thing? I think he dropped out, sold everything, and went on his road trip to "find himself."

He certainly found the Grim Reaper.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

He compares himself to Cortes. Maybe that would be a valid comparison if he had an army and was facing natives armed with sharpened mangoes to plunder their silver and gold. Of course it is just a long winded self justification for failing every single paper.

Perhaps he inadvertently unleashed a plague on his fellow students?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

Why is it every American child's dream to "be a CEO" these days? Why is every manchild working out of Starbucks or their friend's bedroom a "chief something or other"?

I would have thought a more concrete dream like "own my own _____ company" or "create the world's best ______" would be the sort of thing people aim for, instead of a meaningless title. Do people dream of being middle managers as well?

Getting a position in which my inferiors do all the work, and I get a massive golden parachute (on the stockholder's dime) if I get fired for my admitted complete lack of ability or interest sounds pretty sweet to me.

It's kind of like being a feudal overlord, except I can't think of a CEO who got lynched by angry serfs.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 22, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Virtue posted:

Being head honcho is great while everything is going right but not so much when things go wrong. I don't think many of the self proclaimed future CEO college kids consider the latter possibility.

"I'm going to be paid millions either way and set for life, so it's none of my concern if the company tanks."

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Senor Dog posted:

I think you missed what this thread is for

She was getting to the part when they decided to invest their bitcoins into a horse daycare centre.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 25, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah and he has some advantages that aren't universal, like living in a location/climate that allows him to live car-free relatively easily. His advice would be "just move," which is both not cheap and structurally impossible once you hit tragedy-of-the-commons adoption rates.

Duh, just hit your parents up for a interest-free loan, or embezzle the money from your financial executive job, with the good old boy club pretending not to notice until you replace the funds you took a few years down the line. :rolleyes:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

EugeneJ posted:

The ultimate "how much of a rich gently caress are you" test is to point to a full garbage can and ask that they take care of it

Rich people have never done this before and will probably consult Google for directions

Throw it on the neighbour's lawn?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

GoutPatrol posted:

what the gently caress is a snapchat filter says a man still in his twenties

I don't have to update to a smartphone, you young whippersnapper. Back in my day, we had monochrome screens!

(Yeah, I know I'll eventually have to, someday.)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
In bad with employment/money via extension:

My former boss decided to fire my (competent and not drugfucked) former manager because "he's too expensive."

This is the same man who, with the last two managers that he promoted was a heroin junkie and a methhead, respectively.

The methhead also stole $200 in cash on his last day, of which as far I as know, my former boss passively accepted without pressing charges.

EDIT: And now the remaining workers are all refusing promotion, because they aren't stupid enough to wear a metaphorical bullseye on their backs.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zo posted:

I gotta say, it's pretty funny that lil miss snoopy golddigger's first reaction was "he should buy me half a car"

We can only hope that he complies to her demands entirely literally, and buys one of those trailers made out of the back chassis of a car.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Jesus gently caress, gifts. There's a BWM. A slight derail but here goes:

A friend from work was leaving and moving to a different cities. As customary, all of her friends organised a card and a gift. We knew she needed the money, we know she didn't need more crap to have to relocate THREE THOUSAND KILOMETRES as the crow flies.

Moving to Perth, was she?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

ate all the Oreos posted:

Maybe she just had like twenty thousand friends who all gave a dollar

The Myspace/Facebook tendency to add literally everyone else on their friends list finally paid off.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Noctone posted:

That's more or less the definition of a currency, though. Believing that, in a scenario where the whole world goes to poo poo and chaos reigns, everyone will just accept gold/silver/rubies/whatever-the-gently caress as currency is just as absurd as believing everyone will keep using dollars/euros/yuan.

Perhaps they heard about German hyperinflation in the '20s and have a paranoid fear that the same could happen in their nation?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ixian posted:

Meanwhile, in BWM news...

Article on underwater car loans:

https://jalopnik.com/a-record-32-percent-of-car-buyers-are-underwater-on-the-1789425396

Edmunds did a study where they found almost 1/3 of all vehicles offered for trade in 2016 were underwater. The average amount underwater was over 5k.

I knew it was bad, and we've seen plenty of anecdotal stories here, but I didn't realize how incredibly hosed it was. A third?! That many people are churning cars and piling on debt? It's an easy math problem to show why it's bad, so I can only imagine that greed/keeping up with the Jones's mentality is driving this. Or just plain vanilla stupid. Seems like a staggering house of cards being built.

I'm surprised it's only a (nearly) third. Welp, all we can do is sit by and await financial armageddon (again). :shrug:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

This guy is leeching off his in-laws so hard it's GWM. My brother did something similar, free food, free rent, free everything all with a kid and wife.

How'd he score that?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Non Serviam posted:

Who else do you blame in a robbery?

Society. :smuggo:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
Possibly related to what Leon Trotsky 2012 posted, but:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/budgeting/irresponsible-personal-finance-article-panned/news-story/df99855d7e8848a5258647d2f99ba6b3

Crazy Lady posted:

According to Ms Milasas, her first “tool for having money” is the “10 per cent account”, where you put away 10 per cent of everything you earn. “You are not setting it aside to pay bills with,” she writes. “You are not saving it for a rainy day ... You are putting it away as an honouring of you.”

But what if, she asks, people say, “I’ve got bills to pay! How can I put away 10 per cent of my income?” Well, she writes, “here’s the thing”. “If you pay your bills first, you will always have more bills.

“When you pay the bills first, the universe says, ‘Oh, okay. This person wishes to honour their bills. Let’s give them some more bills.’ If you honour yourself by setting aside 10 per cent first, the universe says, ‘Oh, they are willing to honour themselves. They are willing to have more,’ and it responds to that. It gives you more.”

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
Paying me to stab you with a cattle prod every time it looks like you are slowing down on the treadmill?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Breetai posted:

I'm amazed at how remarkably even-handed some of those rulings are as well. You get things like "Appellant freely admits to massive bongrips of jazz cabbage in college, but no longer associates with his friends of that time in his life and hasn't lit one up since, clearance granted" but then you'll see a similar situation where the appellant has been evasive about their past actions and they get a great big NOPE for their troubles.

If they barred every college student who smoked marijuana at college, they'd have about 3 valid applicants per year.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm none too canny with this sort of thing, could someone please explain?

The derail bird is a toucan.

Tou-can: Two cans.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how to make this sound socially acceptable because I'm me. So let me just present my experience from being in high school in the 90s:

- "smart kids" went to academic classes where they learned college prep stuff like accelerated math, science and languages

- "normal kids" got the same, but not as advanced

- "dumb kids" got some of that, but also things like a class called "math for life", where they were actually taught how to balance a checkbook, make a budget for a home, shop for basic necessities, etc.

I'd say the last group probably got the best deal here.

Yeah, I went to dumb maths in high school, 2006-2008.

Same system, except I vaguely remember trigonometry being taught as well.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Well played. :golfclap:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
Whenever I see someone scream "Racism!" as a first resort, I am reminded of a post I read on another forum stating that Trevor from GTA V was a good person, solely because he was critical of the SAPD's treatment of African Americans.

The cannibal, career criminal, serial killer and bank robber Trevor.

Infinitely shallow and one dimensional viewpoints notwithstanding, have some content.

CONTENT:

In conversation with my friend recently, he mentioned that his idiot boss at a popular hot springs around here stood by and did absolutely nothing when a bookkeeper embezzled AU$6 MILLION, and fled to Canada in her own good time.

Said boss refuses to hire any relatively unskilled positions, such as cleaning staff, that don't have a ludicrous amount of experience (5+ years) in a similar job, and when he does hire someone, they are usually ranging from bone idle to perpetually drunk. All of the new staff last about two weeks before absconding into the ether, never to return.

Still, this means my friend's position is ironclad, so it's not all bad.

EDIT: He also told me that when he went down to the bank to sort out "some stuff", they repeatedly tried to offer him loans for new cars / holidays. I thought the days of ultra-easy credit ended in 2008.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 18, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Virtue posted:

You only live once

And it's a very short life if you eat potentially deadly seafood, even more so on a discount.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder which goon it was

Don't doxx me, plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

That was the guy whose floor was ‘soft’ and whose kids got themselves ready and went to school all by themselves...but it was a Saturday I think, which is what tipped CPS off.

I can’t recall why their floor was soft. Covered in trash or just rotting through. Maybe cat piss? It was a Goon so any answer including all of the above can be accepted.

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And the redemption:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499987