Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you're going to pay that much for a Charger, why not just go ahead and get a Challenger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

An interviewer once noticed my cell phone's area code (which was for the city we were in, but not that exact neighborhood) and demanded to know where I lived, and told me not living in the same neighborhood as the office was a dealbreaker. The neighborhood was comprised exclusively of multi-million-dollar homes and luxury condos, and the position paid $32k a year.

Neighborhood is frequently a pretty good way to figure out someone's national origin and sometimes their sexual orientation, smugass. If you're a bigot, you're not allowed to burrow around for the bigotry fodder you're looking for. Any questions you use to do that are wrong and will be evidence in the case against you.

Ok then how did you do in the settlement for the lawsuit you obviously filed against that interviewer, since they were so obviously breaking the law?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pr0zac posted:

This is just plain wrong. Asking about anything related to financial status including whether they have a car is illegal in an interview according to US Equal Employment Opportunity interviewing guidelines. Heres an easy to read PDF explaining what you can and cannot ask about in a interview: http://provost.wfu.edu/files/2010/07/EEO-Guidelines.pdf

Relevant to the discussion at hand, employers can, in fact, ask for your address, they just can't ask if you rent or own. And if I'm reading this right, you can ask a woman if she plans to take time off for pregnancy (or any other reason), you just also have to ask men the same question.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You utter loving moron. Rape's not prosecuted much either, so why not drag a girl behind the dumpsters on your way home tonight?

From the way you carry on that literally everything in the world is a conspiracy to keep minorities down, you should have had any number of non-profits lining up to foot your legal fees and/or a whole bunch of civic-minded lawyers ready to take the case on pro-bono (or on contingency).

Alternatively, you don't have the courage of your convictions to pursue these injustices and see that the guilty are punished, even when such injustices 100% directly affect you.

Or as a crazy third option, asking where someone lives is not, in and of itself, illegal and you knew, deep down, there was no case.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I am very concerned about this bird and hope he got a cool 3D-printed prosthetic beak.

UPDATE: HE DID!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 11, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Koalas March posted:

You are really underestimating institutional racism, patriarchy and trans/homophobia.

Nah, I know it's bad. I don't even disagree with TB most of the time. However, when it's pointed out where she's wrong (it's not illegal to ask somewhere where they live as part of the interview process), she flips out and doubles down on everything. If she was so certain that the guy asking her that question was doing so to discriminate against her, she could have at least sought advice from any number of non-profits that exist to serve as watchdogs for such discrimination. Instead she threw up her hands and said "welp I'm too poor to fight this!"

Now, may very well have sough such advice and been told the case wasn't strong enough. That's a thing that could have happened! If so, she should have said so, and I'd have been like "wow, my bad for making bullshit assumptions, that sucks." Instead, she called me a moron and insinuated I'm a rapist.

That's awesome.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's OP rules about "getting the last word" and "being mean" but I can tell that the parties involved here have one of two mindsets

1. Fighting the systematic oppression of protected classes
2. Fighting the assertion that they're racist sexist homophobic rapists

Those are big issues that certainly trump the rules, but this is a thread about being bad with money, yo. I didn't see anything that really justified either mindset, it looked more like two people gradually got more annoyed with each other until they became The Ultimate Evil in each other's eyesl. Maybe just take a break from the thread.

My buddy spends $40 a day on delivery food. Tee hee!

I don't think TB's evil, I just think she can't handle someone disagreeing with her on even a semantic level, which is all I did. It's not illegal to ask someone their address during an interview (my point, supported by the EEO guidelines posted a while back). It is illegal to use that information to discriminate against them (her point, also supported by the EEO guidelines posted a while back, and not something I objected to or disagreed with).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Non Serviam posted:

Why? That's the only question I can really come up with. Why does he do this?

A few guys I work with don't seem to register purchases under a certain dollar amount. Like, on an intellectual level they know ten or fifteen bucks a day for lunch plus a few dollars in the morning and/or early afternoon to buy an energy drink can add up to quite a lot, but in the moment it's like, "pffft, what's a few bucks?"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It seems that supermarkets could market a Blue Apron-like product that you pick up in stores for a fraction of the price.

Publix is trying this out in Florida.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not if you really like vegetables, aren't picky about what you get, and have a lot of mouths to feed. Otherwise you'll slowly be buried in kale.

It was strawberries at the one my wife and I joined a few years ago. SO. MANY. STRAWBERRIES.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kirios posted:

you sound like this is a bad thing

Neither of us are particularly fond of strawberries :smith:

We made a lot of jam, though, which other people seemed to like.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kirios posted:

Strawberries are the absolute best how do you hate strawberries?

I dunno, I prefer raspberries and blackberries.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

monster on a stick posted:

You don't like blueberries? Monster.

I always got kale. Lots of lots of kale. This is before the kale craze where people make kale smoothies, kale chips, kale toast, etc.

I love blueberries, I just don't generally associate them with the other three. Different flavor profile or something I guess.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright here's a food/money question - how the gently caress do those $1/day food budget rice and bean people eat any FRUIT? My coworker is super smug about how he and his wife spend less than $150 a month on food and I have no clue how you would ever consume anything fruit-like on that budget.

There are places that sell the imperfect produce that the major chains turn away. That stuff is usually super-cheap.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sundae posted:

Is there a name for these sorts of places? "Supermarkets with ugly food :haw:" doesn't seem like a good search string, and I'd love to find one in the bay area where I live a BWM life.

I don't think there are any chains that do it, or nothing larger than a local chain anyhow. But you're in the Bay area, just google "imperfect produce Bay Area" and you should find something.

I have no idea if their prices are actually cheap, it was just the first Google result!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sundae posted:

That's incredibly cheap compared to grocery chains in my area. Thanks! (Like, 80% off cheap.)

Get your ugly potato on, my friend!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

CannonFodder posted:

Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers promised himself he would buy a Bentley, but only with money that was return on investment. Much like Marshawn, he's not spending down the money he made from football, he's making his money work for him.

We'll likely see more and more stories like this going forward, the NFL has dedicated a fair amount of resources to trying to teach players not to spend all their money immediately after signing their contract.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I tried one of the cereal doughnuts once (I think the one with Cocoa Pebbles on top because I love chocolate) and the cereal was stale. Maybe Cocoa Pebbles always tastes stale since I very rarely eat cereal but it wasn't good at all.

Cocoa (and Fruity) Pebbles always taste stale until you add milk.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's more like a horror story than BWM :(

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jjack229 posted:

Becoming a licensed Professional Engineer in the US is similar (degree, 4 years experience, plus passing exams). It varies state to state whether you can use the term "engineer" if you are not a P.E.

Many states have an Engineering Intern (E.I.) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) designation that you can use after passing the Fundamentals of Engineering exam but prior qualifying as a PE.

Xenoborg posted:

It also varies from company to company if anyone even cares about PE. In my company, an aerospace defense contractor, probably less than 10% of the engineers have a PE and those that do got them 20+ years ago when they were still relevant.

The variability is more between industries than companies. If major clients in a given industry start requiring PE stamps, you can bet that needing to (eventually) get your PE when working in that industry will become standard, regardless of which company you work for.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It is interesting that the vast majority of new engineers in recent years (software and systems) don't even do work relevant to a PE in most cases.

Hell, if I'm not mistaken, those particular types of engineers don't even have their own separate PE exam - they have to take the electrical engineer version.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is it possible to get 70K of credit card lines when you are making 40K and already have debt? I think I have credit card lines up to around my yearly income, but I also have a pretty high credit score due to being GWM.

If you start factoring in lines of credit with specific stores, yes, it's possible. Easy, even.

:ninja:Not saying that's what the lady in question did, just answering the question.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

brugroffil posted:

someone writes this same story every year because someone testified to congress about the idea, or a single Rep with no cosponsors introduced a bill or something.

100% true, but there's something a bit different about this year that makes it a bit more likely for that idea to gain traction :v:

Not enough to have the faintest hope of passing, but maybe enough for that Rep to pick up a cosponsor or two.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I feel like this is relevant to the thread: the IRS has awarded Equifax a multimillion dollar fraud prevention contract.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think I've posted this before.

My coworker bought a Ford Raptor earlier this year - a fully loaded model. And he bought it right after they were released, so demand was somewhat high. However, unlike previous years, Ford didn't put a cap on the number they're going to make, so it's not a limited edition thing, but dealerships weren't sharing that info so, initially, a lot of buyers thought they had to get one ASAP or they'd sell out. All of this is to say that he paid like $10k OVER dealer invoice, for a total of like $80-ish thousand dollars.

His interest rate is somewhere in the 8-9% range which, while not horrible when compared to some of the numbers mentioned in this thread, is still bad for a dude with great credit and no real debt. Except, it turns out, for the car loan he cosigned for with his ex-girlfriend. The car loan he is getting called about monthly as she misses payments. The car loan he thinks they'll be able to get entirely in her name despite the fact that she is unemployed.

He's also involved in Amway and dreams of the day when the money he makes from that can take care of his truck loan.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Subjunctive posted:

No homeowner's insurance? I guess he didn't have a mortgage.

I don't think home-owner's insurance would cover most of that anyhow, unless he had the appropriate riders.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well yeah, I’m just wondering if you could get them to stick to an agreement when you bait and switch them with in house financing over to cash. I assume the sale isn’t signed before the financing, or is it? Never bought from one of those places.

A trick a buddy of mine has used is to get the price you want and agree to financing, but only after verifying there are no fees or anything for paying off the loan early.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Haifisch posted:

IIRC, culinary degrees don't actually help much with getting the jobs people think they will. Everything I've heard/read says most places want you to put in the gruntwork first so you know how a real kitchen's run.

Photex posted:

They do if you go to a real culinary school or put in the work but it sounds like he wasn't much of a completionist either

My sister has a culinary degree from a real culinary school (Johnson and Wales) and the only thing it really does is give you a slight edge over people with an equal amount of work experience but no degree. Beyond that if you want to be really successful, you have to be wiling to travel - to a major city at a minimum, if not another country.

Putting in the work and gaining practical experience is always going to win out in the kitchen.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've bemoaned my mom's situation before, but she was flat broke at age 42 after a divorce and pinched and saved everything she could for the next 25 years until she had a more than comfortable retirement. Then she got COPD from a lifetime of smoking and is now confined to a bed. She literally got to enjoy none of it unless you count cable TV as a benefit.

My inlaws did everything right and retired a bit early (59) into a very comfortable situation. Three years in and my FiL died of pancreatic cancer, just when they'd planned to start traveling extensively.

Life is a real loving bitch sometimes.

Meanwhile my own father has Gumped his way into enough money to live off of (when combined with social security) for what are probably not a lot of remaining years. However he has no idea what to do with it besides tossing some into CDs.

My grandmother had a 401(k) and all the money in four mutual funds. My dad had me review the most recent statements. Somehow three of the four funds lost money over the last five years. That blows my mind. The managers had to be actively trying to suck for that to happen.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I dont have the paperwork, but they were funds aimed at the elderly with a focus on low volatility stocks. Which on the surface is fine, common wisdom is to get more conservative with investments as you age. But drat...

I'll try to get my dad to send the ticker symbols so I can share.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fellow BWM thread posters, it may be me who is bad with money. Or bad with reading comprehension. I did not consider that the funds in my grandmother's mutual funds showed negative growth because she was in her 80s and withdrawing money.

I don't know if that is actually the case, but I feel kind of stupid for not considering it before now. I'm meeting my dad in a couple of weeks to help him move all the funds to a new account and setup the investments, at which point I'll take a closer look at the records and will update if either they were horribly mismanaged funds or I am a colossal dumbass that can't read a statement.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I thought we were talking about engineers?

How can you identify the extroverted engineer in the group?

They're looking at everyone else's shoes.

Thank you, I'll be here all night.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm a geologist and if I could do it over again, I'd have stuck with computer science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

How do you even find a car from 2014 without bluetooth? I'm 90% sure that even the base model Yaris had that.

Rental and fleet vehicles.