Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

LesterGroans posted:

Same.

It's the Billy Zane poo poo and the Packard Sawmill "intrigue" I don't much care for in season two.

Plus, it goes without saying, James. But they at least had the sense to ship him off before the end.

The side story with James in S2 is clearly the low point of the series for me, but generally speaking I like James as a character and think that James Marshall's acting was pretty good. Holy poo poo, you are right about Billy Zane though. I didn't remember just how awful he was until watching again this time around.

Deakul posted:

I'm mostly unfamiliar with Lynch; I've only seen TP, FWWM, and Dune.

FWWM and Dune were like fever dreams that I could barely comprehend so I definitely hope that this new season of the show remains as accessible as most of the original run was. :ohdear:

I think it will be more of a reach than the original series, but Mark Frost co-wrote the whole of the new series with Lynch. I suspect that he'll keep things grounded somewhat and be a good counterbalance to Lynch's more extreme tendencies. David Lynch is my favorite filmmaker, so I'd probably be happy with just about anything he did here, but I think the show really would be missing something without Frost's influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

el oso posted:

Going to miss these guys having scenes together.

This is my only worry about the new series. The relationship between Cooper and Truman was really the heart of the show. I hope against hope that they find something to anchor it in that way.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I hope people don't think that Cooper is somehow "inhabiting" Dougie. Dougie is gone gone. That's Cooper. He's just all messed up still from being in the lodge so long. Think how spaced out and weird Briggs was when he came out. He was just in there three days.

EDIT: ^^^^ That read as totally sincere to me and I also loved it. Laura's Theme re-emerging there was a total gut-punch.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 24, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I'm not quite sure why people watching a film see unreal things that don't ever happen or exist in reality and then complain that it doesn't look realistic. I think the point with a lot of Lynch effects is it isn't supposed to look real because it isn't.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

wa27 posted:

Are we supposed to assume there is something else going on with the body in the bed, and that's why it looked unrealistic?

Try asking this question again, but framed on the context of the entire show within which that body exists.

If I am trying to depict a jarring and alien unreality in a film, what is my best approach to do that? Is it to expend effort making everything look realistic and blend seamlessly and comfortably into the audience's notions of what looks realistic?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Has anyone made note of all the numbers that keep popping up in S3? They're pretty prominent and all over the place. The giant gives some, the arm gives some, there are numbers that change on the electrical socket machine, the junkie lady blurts some out. There's a bunch more too, even back in FWWM.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
The significance of Sycamore Street was the connection to Glastonbury Grove, which is the circle of sycamore trees at the entrance to the Black Lodge. This was the connection with the Sycamore Trees song being played in the Lodge too. David Lynch wrote the lyrics to that song and I think I read somewhere that they were lines from one of his earlier scripts, maybe Ronnie Rocket.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
That was "Red." He was played by Balthazar Getty. Nothing else is known.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, Cooper is definitely not perfect and even said himself in the original series that he had been weak in the past and not always shown good judgement. Remember what happened in Pittsburgh that time? He also certainly showed less than perfect courage when he met his shadow self/doppelganger/dweller on the threshold.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I think that's a stretch. He's walking until he sees he's being followed and then he hauls rear end. He also shows a fear response and runs off when shadow Laura starts screaming at him earlier, as I recall.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

And More posted:

His doppelganger isn't actually confronting him, though. He's hiding behind the curtain, and Cooper only notices him when looking back. The doppelganger's trying to get to the exit first without the real version noticing. I think Cooper hauls rear end because he knows that, if he is too slow, the doppelganger leaves, and not he.

Shadow Laura is a weird one, I'll grant you that. Cooper looks pretty freaked out by her, but then it seems like getting out of dodge doesn't do him any harm. Notably, we get a fear response with Laura, but not with his actual doppelganger. Even Leland doesn't seem to freak Cooper out as much.

I think you're likely making retroactive revisions here. How would Cooper know anything about these rules that were just explained to him in S3? If the doppelganger was trying to sneak out then he would have just left when Cooper was distracted by any number of different things in the lodge. I certainly didn't see any hiding going on. He's pretty clearly chasing him and Cooper is pretty clearly running away. I love Cooper as much as the next guy, but I don't think there's any reason why he is isn't allowed to be flawed or imperfect as a character. Matter of fact, Hawk announces this too the first time that the lodge comes up.

"Cooper, you may be fearless in this world. But there are other worlds. Worlds beyond life and death. Worlds beyond scientific reality."

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
That's the scene where Bob is beating Laura to death. At least I think it is. I made my AV ten years ago.

EDIT - VVVVV Yeah, right at the end. Train car, after the cabin.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 30, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

And More posted:

Fairly sure I thought this after watching season two for the first time. :confused: Maybe I phrased it wrong. I didn't mean know in the sense that someone actually told Cooper what would happen. My assumption was that he figures bad poo poo is about to happen, and he should leave.

This is what I mean. The doppelganger doesn't step out entirely until Cooper has left, too.
You're welcome to interpret things however you please, obviously. One of the beautiful things about the show is that there's room for different perceptions of the events that take place. That said, in this case it seems odd to me to build a narrative of Coop as a kick-rear end superhero who is without fear or weakness when, in fact, his trip to the lodge is an abject failure by any measure available to us. He fails to protect Annie and gives in to Windom Earle to spare her. Bob stops Earle, not Cooper. Who knows how things ended up for her after that. Cooper's shadow self gets loose and he gets stuck in the lodge. Seriously, one of the things I love about the lodge scenes in the finale was that Cooper was clearly in over his head for the first time and frightened by the things he saw. This was a bad bad trip for Cooper. The demolition of Cooper as a Mary Sue into an actual human hero is way more interesting to me than keeping him invincible and flawless.

quote:

The lodge also doesn't operate on real-world logic. Otherwise, the dancing man would probably not cartoonishly rub his hands together when he tries to poison Cooper.
Not sure what you're talking about. When did the arm ever try to poison Cooper? Are you talking about the coffee? If so, I don't think that had anything to do with poison.

quote:

Shouldn't he have been utterly destroyed, then? Hawk said so. :shrug:

Just kidding. Like I said in an earlier post, I think Coop's wackiness is just residual effect of long term exposure to the lodge.

I don't think everything Hawk says needs to be taken 100% literally.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 30, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

And More posted:

I don't know where you're getting that superhero stuff from...

Apple Craft posted:

I do not think that Dale Cooper is intended to have failed in the black lodge.

From the very beginning, Dale Cooper has been presented to us as a man of great courage, valor, and possessing a keen intellect. His esoteric knowledge and techniques allowed him to progress through the spider's web of threads leading to the killer of Laura Palmer. During this time, the case is revealed to us to be something much larger and turned out to be a "blue rose" case that had devoured multiple other agents over the course of decades.

Dale Cooper is a bad rear end.

...et al.

And More posted:

Rewatching the scene with shadow Laura, interestingly, Cooper doesn't start running until Windom Earle's face flashes in front of his eyes. Of all the things he sees in the lodge, Earle himself seems like the one person Cooper is truly afraid of. That's probably why he gives up his soul so willingly. He genuinely thinks he doesn't stand a chance against Earle.

You think Cooper is scared of Windom Earle, but not Bob and the other lodge inhabitants?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

And More posted:

Well, Cooper is a cool guy, but he makes some really bad decisions, particularly over the course of season two.

Yeah, I'm with you there. While I was watching S2 again in the run up to the new series, I was repeatedly struck by how uncharacteristically stupid they made Coop at times. I don't buy at all that in the middle of everything he had going on with Windom Earle that he would have got involved with a new love interest, knowing he would put her in harms way. And if he did, by some bizarro leap of logic, decide to take the chance, I don't think there's any way he would have been hanging out with her in public places and going on dates and stuff like that.

quote:

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, he probably realises that he overestimated Earle and underestimated BOB when Earle gets his brain fried. Cooper just doesn't get a reason to fear BOB because he technically lets Coop go.

No doubt, Cooper speaks of Earle with equal parts reverence and horror over the course of the series, but he's still a dude. I don't think Cooper is deluded enough to think that Earle is quite on the same threat level as "non-corporeal manifestation of absolute evil who possesses generations of people to commit serial murder and eat their victims' pain, fear and suffering." Maybe that's just me though.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I think, as much as anything, Earle was an ominous figure for Cooper specifically because his re-emergence is a reminder that he wasn't good, smart or strong enough to beat him before. It seems to me that would have some significant implications when it comes to the conversation we've been having about the lodge.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Little Mac posted:

You guys get that Cooper has been literally reborn and is acting very baby, right?
I don't take it as a rebirth. He's just been gone a long time. Again, think how whacked out Garland Briggs was after 3 days in the lodge. Cooper was in there 25 years. It makes sense that he'd be fried for a while and changed by the experience.

If it is diary pages that Hawk found, I wonder if Mike (one-armed) put them there when he was having his freakout in the sheriff's station bathroom stall back in the original series.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Oh boy, another cool dude is here to angrily school everyone on obvious context clues thanks to their decades of watching/studying film and television.

quote:

Most people that are watching the series with me have similar interpretations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

I never shouted or called anyone a dumb motherfucker :(

All in good fun, Friend-O. I was saving that GIF for the next really juicy Kaworu post, but his/her posts have been pretty sane lately and the beehive and battery talk got about as big a smile out of me as anything else in the thread so far.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, it's one thing to repeatedly hook up with the most awful scumbags in town and refuse to cooperate with the criminal investigation of your murderer husband in order to sponge up insurance money. But poking fun of ridiculous funeral mishaps? For shame!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
He seems to have ended up okay, which seemed likely given his dad's vision, but he was a coke dealer, killed a guy in a drug deal gone bad, was involved in the aforementioned insurance racket (then ditched on Shelly when he got tired of cleaning up after Leo), and intentionally disrupted Laura Palmer's funeral by screaming and starting a fist fight. He was definitely a big poo poo-heel during the first two seasons.

Edit - Not to mention that smoking is a filthy habit. Especially for a varsity athlete.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 25, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, all this theorizing is well and good, but the real question is what does this new information tell us about toxic masculinity?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
A lot of people are suggesting that last night's episode details the bomb opening a rift to the Lodge, but I don't think that's right. Unless there's some time-fuckery going on, I'm guessing it's Bob's origin story more specifically. We know from the original series that the Black and White Lodge are part of the tribal legends of Hawk's people. That being so, it seems safe to say that the story had to have been old enough to predate 1945.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Lanz posted:

Is that a lightning storm to the right of Trinity's mushroom cloud?

I can't seem to find any sign of it from a quick search of actual photos of the blast

http://gizmodo.com/5856121/what-are-those-strange-thin-smoke-columns-around-nuclear-bomb-tests

http://www.atomcentral.com/atomic-smoke-trails.aspx

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Just happened to see the last ten minutes of the new episode again. I don't know how I missed it, but you can hear a horse right at the end after the woodsman walks into the darkness. It seems like every re-watch turns up new stuff with the new series. Very cool.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

kaworu posted:

... it's a much better film overall than Lost Highway, and it's almost amazing to think they were made so close together ...

Fight me IRL

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

cis autodrag posted:

ya. when that scene started we were like "i know this is meant to be funny but holy poo poo capability for consent lady"

She thinks it's her husband. He just recently fought off an armed assassin and seems pretty capable, even if he is thoroughly spaced out. You have no idea what led up to that scene, so I don't think it's reasonable to assume Cooper wasn't on board. People's inability to perceive the time in the edits is leading to silly leaps of logic.

Mover posted:

From what I remember Lynch has auto tuned his own vocals on his records before. When an interviewer asked him about the kind of music he makes his response was something along the lines of "I've always loved electricity, so I knew I'd love electric music"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgAIeRBBbk

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

cis autodrag posted:

Hes literally been depicted as mentally incapacitated and just barely repeating things people show him the whole time he's been back. It's not that ambiguous. A guy who can't pee without instruction can't consent.

This isn't meant to be some kind of hot take. That scenes humor just didn't land with me because it's pretty cut and dry ethically.

Edit:as far as "she thinks it's her husband", people commit rape every day without thinking that they are. That's why clear ability to consent is so important.

Ah yes, clearly this man is not having a good time. Clearly this was a bad experience for him. Clearly someone should notify the authorities.

I think everyone blowing the rape-whistle might have a leg to stand on if Coop had popped out the socket and she immediately jumped his poo poo. That isn't the case. There have been many references to the time that's passed since Cooper came back to the house. He's got more agency and capability since then. The man is going to work. He is fighting off assassins. The core of my argument, which you have conveniently overlooked in favor of a facile argument against the myth that rape doesn't occur in marriages, is that you have no idea what is happening in the space and time between editing cuts. Cooper has certainly shown interest in coffee and badges and other things. Why is it impossible to think that he might have given her a clear indication of interest during that gap in time? Furthermore, why is it the responsibility of the person making the show to make sure to show something on-screen for no better reason than to make sure that a bunch of goofballs with hyperactive imaginations won't assume that something insidious is happening when they see two adults having sex and both clearly enjoying it? This, when you have just as much indication that everything is cool as you do that what you're seeing is non-consensual and inappropriate.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Good one. You got me.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Some others have previously surmised that a lot of the stuff going on in the town of Twin Peaks so far in S3 has to do with the Black Lodge influence sort of poisoning the local population. I wasn't really on-board with that theory previously, but I feel like this episode likely confirms that in some form or another. Hawk's map seems to show a brewing death/sickness/chaos overwhelming the area. This festering insanity is going on everywhere and the out-of-it vomiting kid seems like a really clear visual metaphor for that to me.

EDIT - Also, lol 25 years go by and Shelly still can't help but hook up with the biggest poo poo head drug dealers in town. That's a bummer to me. It seems like, for better or worse, pretty much all the other returning characters have changed or developed in the last two and a half decades. Not Shelly though.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 24, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Primarily this. He's been banking on his last name for thirty years despite having 5% of his brother's talent

This may or may not be true, but he has approximately 200% of his brother's lifespan so far and that's the far more important statistic.

Honestly, with his misogyny and stupid drug issues, John Belushi probably would have fit in perfectly as a character in Twin Peaks.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Meta as gently caress.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Accretionist posted:

... the White Lodge seems to benignly inhabit trees and owls.

I'll respectfully disagree on this point.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Lost Highway is not a dream.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Section 9 posted:

I think Sarah Palmer might have someone/thing in her head with her, and not just her being psychic. The music playing in the scene in the store is the music that played in most scenes where there was some sort of weird lodge spirit stuff in FWWM. After the weird music starts she asks "Were you here when they first came?" and I don't think she's talking about the turkey jerkys. Also "The room seems different", and it could be said she is in a convenience store. She starts saying "Sarah, stop doing this." and then gives herself commands to get out of the store, get her car keys, get in the car. It's like someone else is speaking through her mouth telling her what to do. Later she tells Hawk "It's a goddamn bad story, isn't it, Hawk?" With that and the sounds in the kitchen it brings me back to the Giant saying at the start of the first episode "It is in our house now." and "It all cannot be said aloud now." Not sure what all to make of it, but it was my favorite part of the episode and feels like it might have a lot of meaning packed into it.

I'm right with you and was thinking along these lines too. A couple other things. She was very concerned with the jerky and made a point of asking if it was smoked. Then she said some men were coming. The convenience store in the bomb scene was filled with smoke and the "dirty bearded men" were both inside and milling about outside. I feel pretty confident that she's saying those men are coming to Twin Peaks and she's having intrusive thoughts/memories of the other convenience store that she's mixing up with that one.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
By the way, Grace Zabriskie is loving amazing and always has been. Holy poo poo.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Rockin' good episode. Also, more conspicuously placed numbers on the arm of the crying girl in the Road House. Wonder what that's all about.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Just looked her up. Yep, both are her real tattoos.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

J_RBG posted:

The Audrey scenes are clearly not in the usual space we see events unfold but in some weird uncanny side-place. There's a reason they're secluded off from referencing pretty much anything else in the show beyond their own internal ruleset (e.g. characters we've never heard of). I was kind of creeped out by the way Charlie said "here at the threshold" instead of "here at the door" like a normal person as well. And whoever noted the Beckett style parallel pretty much has it right though it's less open about its nihilism. That said, we never see the progression that makes the scenes possible, instead we cut straight into a moment of stagnation and the failure to progress. It's frustrating on purpose.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting seeing how exactly these scenes tie in to everything else. We've seen time loving up all throughout the show, but the Audrey and Charlie scenes are where it seems the most obvious to me. Days and nights are seen going by elsewhere, but the two of them have been there arguing about going to the Roadhouse and loving about with their coats this whole time like they're stuck inside a single moment.

On another note, holy hell were the Log Lady/Catherine Coulson scenes amazing. Such a sweet tribute and sendoff. Total gut punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

Richard said in this latest episode that Audrey would carry a photo of Coop around, so we know she woke up eventually.

I could be wrong, but I thought he said that his mom had it. Not that she carried it around.