Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe if he'd gotten more mill scenes this could have avoided ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

Did you mean this from right before Leland/BOB goes into the lodge? That's Leland. It's just a visual effect of the lodge influencing someone. Laura looks like that earlier in the film when yelling at Harold & Windom Earle shows up like that in one of the later episodes

Nah, we means when TMfAP eats the Garmonbozia at the end at his face becomes this freaky shadowed chimp face.

Also, I have no idea but between Lynch pulling a similar trick in Inland Empire and Lost Highway I'm guessing there is some intended thematic meaning :confused:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Coop's recovery is going to be an ongoing process, but I'd be surprised if the coffee isn't the catalyst that starts it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Laura's doppelganger is so horrific her screaming causes Cooper to physical injury. I don't know how anyone could watch that scene and think 'huh, she seems okay'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cromulent posted:

I didn't loathe the Truman/Wife scene, but I think I'd rather have seen something with one of the dozen things they set up in episode 1/2 and haven't revisited since.

BOB appear in like, six(?) episodes of the original run of Twin Peaks, the vast majority of its runtime is goofy subplots like the mill, Audrey having sex with Billy Zane and James doing stupid poo poo. The Return by comparison has been far more concentrated on its Black/Whitw Lodge mythos main plot and the tangents so far have been good and funny one off scenes like Insane Wife and My Dharma is the Road.

Ingmar terdman posted:

to borrow a phrase from SMG - I'm beginning to think Twin Peaks fans do not like Twin Peaks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't skip scenes, episodes or anything else. Just sit down and watch the goddamn show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Skip James (heh), skip Catherine/Josie, skip Lucy/Andy/Dick, skip Nadine, skip Billy Zane. It's alllll garb.

I don't think you like Twin Peaks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Please stop with the "you don't like twin peaks" bullshit

It's kinda hard when they're advising you skip the majority of the show ;P

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope Big Ed literally fist fights Evil Cooper to death. Or Albert and Constance get married. Both at the same time maybe.

Nadine is going to KO Bad Coop with a golden poo poo-digging shovel

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Way to victim-shame. Typical cis-male response.

Please return to GBS

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm starting to think Dougie is not going anywhere

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

Same. And not just to see Fenn, or what the character has been up to. I need to know more about Richard!

'Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it!' - Reginald P. Linux

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is happening again. It is happening, again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm now very horny for Tammy and Glamorous French Woman so I'd have to say the episode was a success

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm guessing it's primarily due to Frost's influence that this season has a comprehensible narrative at all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

It's not that I think the hypothetical people I was talking about are 'uncultured idiots'. I just think... So many modern TV shows are sprawling enterprises that can last a decade or more, and with shows that are essentially telling a long interconnected story, this can be, well, VERY loving difficult because quite often the show's popularity is a surprise, and a very talented writer/showrunner may find himself in the position of only being able to tell SO many stories, even with the insistence of the producers/network/cable channel/whatever. LOST was a show that only barely managed to stay afloat by negotiating an end date, or it would have really gone to absolute poo poo. And even so, there are people like the ones I was talking about who feel that because of their personal disappointment in the Series Finale of Lost, the whole show is now tainted and bad.

Actually, a really great example is another Showtime show, Dexter. Now, I can't speak for all of it because I ditched the show sometime around the end of season 5 and early season 6 when the shark had long since been vaulted across, and I understand that it only got worse, and the season finale was a horrible disappointing piece of crap in nearly every way, which I can fully believe. Now, I still happen to think that seasons 1, 2, and 4 of Dexter are all REALLY good, REALLY fun, and REALLY watchable. Season 1 especially is a freaking masterpiece, and something I still watch every few years because it's that good. Even season 3 isn't so bad, but it's also enough of like a self-contained side-story that you can very safely skip the whole thing, and it's worth it because season 4 has John Lithgow as a cold-blooded psychotic serial killer, essentially playing a proto-version of Josef Fritzl, which makes it scary as gently caress.

Let me bring up another example where I was acting like an 'uncultured idiot' myself - The Killing, a series on FX I think a while back that had a fairly Twin Peaks-ish vibe in being a neo-noir murder-mystery about a murdered teen girl in a small-ish town.

People (including me, at the time!) were absolutely INFURIATED when 'The Killing' ended season 1 without revealing the killer, because there was some expectation or some rumor or some way the show was marketed that implied we might find out or even would find out ABOLUTELY in the last episode, and we all thought he would be revealed and were prepared for the reveal... and it did not happen. And there was an ENORMOUS backlash against Veena Sud (the showrunner) for being incompetent, for lying to people to get ratings, for "making poo poo up as she goes along", for including all kinds of red herrings, for having very slow pacing, doing stuff like spending an entire episode with the detective and her partner looking for her missing son, for the show almost always ending on cliffhangers that would be revealed as red herrings by 5 minutes into the next episode.... That sort of thing. She just got a MASSIVE online shitstorm from the fans.

But we were being absolute impatient loving idiots who utterly missed the forest for the trees. A ton of those episodes in Season 1 were REALLY great - like actually the "bottle" episode that's almost entirely the two leads in a car, talking, driving around looking for the main characters son. That was a really wonderfully done character episode, but when I watched it the first time I was so focused on the mystery and finding stuff out, that I was just pissed off the show was deciding that it was more important to do something else completely. And I was wrong - totally, totally wrong. Furthermore, when I came back the show and kept going into Season 2, it just got even better and I actually fully understood *why* the first season was structured the way it was, and I obviously appreciated the whole thing SO much more when I saw it fully in context, as a complete story.

So I mean, I'm implicating myself here, I used to do the same thing, but now I'm an old man (32) and I feel like I've learned my lesson, not to judge art/entertainment until you've got the full perspective on it, and had a bit of time to digest it. You really, truly never know what might ultimately be significant or important. And it's just foolish to make pronouncements about a story before it's even finished being told. I almost think it's worthless to fully judge a series until it really is FULLY done, unless it's something episodic or primarily episodic, in which case it's a totally different deal obviously..

Anyway, I truly don't mean to be condescending, I just sincerely feel like complaining about a scene going on a bit too long and being 'bored' by it sound shallow and petty to me. Sorry, just does. And yes, I think that there are things going on in those scenes that have a great deal of depth. I was also entertained and highly amused by all the humor in the scene - from Charlie's body language and tone of voice, to Audrey swearing like a sailor, to what Audrey was wearing, to the conspicuous placement of the mirror, to arcane references in the dialogue to stuff like "you would never renege on our agreement!". And then the phone call, which was masterful I still just... Don't see ANYTHING wrong with any of it. I was laughing, fascinated, confused, and intrigued which is often how I feel watching a lot of these scenes. Maybe I was a bit bored, but whatever.

But again, as per what I'm saying, I am a bit worried that people will like... end up condemning the entire show if Cooper never comes back, and call it like "one long cocktease" or some poo poo like that. I can totally see that happening and it'd be annoying, but hopefully it'll just happen on like... reddit and twitter, not here :o:

Hmmm, yes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Coop is going to punch Good Coop in the face and he is going to explode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would like to see some payoff for trouble inside the Lodges storyline they've been building, Want to know what's up with 'It is in our house now' and Mother/Experiment chasing Coop and breaking out of the glass box

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Could someone please explain 'Danzig'?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, a lot of interesting and weird stuff happened today, but I think know what the real take away from tonight was:

Ed and Norma.

ED AND NORMA!

ED AND NORMA!!!

It finally happened!!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 21, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

head58 posted:

Next episode: the drugs Jacobi gave Nadine wear off and she can't remember anything from the past 24 hours, Ed sighs and goes back to her.

Actually Nadine and OPM are going to team up to clown on Bad Coop and Richard and Big Ed is going to repeatedly have sex with the best looking pensioner on the face of the planet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol nobody has pensions in america.

I'm sure the dinner is doing very well and Norma is living comfortably

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm probably completely wrong here, but for me this season seems like it's more for David Lynch fans and people who liked FWWM then it is for simple folk like me who liked the original series

I didn't like FWWM for what it's worth. It was too weird for me and completely missed the tone of the original show, yet had the same characters

That's how this season feels

Maybe I'm just retarded though

I hope you get your coffee and cherry pie ... in hell, loser! :twisted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't buy Gordon bring the baddie given he's also been having prophetic visions (Laura Palmer, France dream) guiding him towards solving the case.

Also Dougie's reaction to the TV seemed more like unease at being reminded of his former life, he has no reason to suspect Gordon and parted on good terms. Really just seems like alot of circumstantial evidence and misreadings pieced together to spell DARTH JAR JAR

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whatever is up with Audrey's story is far weirder than any of the Lodge mythos plotlines, the intersection of the real world and what appear to be some kind of dream world appears deliberately not to make any sense. Curious and slightly nervous how it's going to end up panning out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think we're like 99% certain what's happening next episode anyway

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

i was starting to think the last two episodes are "what real coop" got up during the whole season and we see him like, behind bushes and poo poo sneaking around giving context everything and him being there all along. nothing to suggest that tho.

i don't think he's ever coming back now, doogie is probably dead and thats that and we've just got evil cooper doing his poo poo. its all on deputy special agent andy brennan and bobby briggs now.

I'm extremely dubious Coop is dead, electrical outlets have been heavily linked with the passage of spirits since FWWM. My money is on Coop returning to the Red Room, having that Episode 1 conversation with The Giant The Fireman and returning with his faculties restored.

Lynch may like left-field turns but just killing Coop off my means of accidental suicide would be absurd, I just cannot see that happening.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hanales posted:

You're kidding about this right?

Filler is when an episode of Dragon Ball spends the first five minutes recounting the last episode and then five minutes of Vegeta gasping, not when there's a plotline you don't like

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

how exactly is it possible to think this is true?

Uh the modern trend of prestige serialised shows started in the late 90s with series like The West Wing? Anime predates that quite a bit with shows like Gundam having heavily serialied plots way back in the 70s.

Not sure why you're being so abrasive about it either way though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

because no it loving didn't, and that's an insane thing to claim. soap operas have been airing filler episodes since the dawn of television. doctor who has been running since 1963 and was even more serialized then than it is now. loving Tintin was animated, serialized and on television in 1957 for shits sake.

Soaps are a radically different format of television and imo shouldn't really be considered alongside limited episode shows. As far as seasonalised drama shows goes serialisation was exceedingly rare until the 90s so at the very least I think you can argue it's been far more prevalent in anime for a longer period of time than it has in the west. it is a silly derail though, the important thing is that Richard Horne and friends are not filler and for all we know his arc(:v:) isn't even over yet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hanales posted:

Because yours and the others statements are utter nonsense.

Alot of really weird aggression atm over a polite discussion of the history of serialised TV :confused:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

so soaps don't count because they're not really televison but anime does because

because uh

um

guys this is clearly a derail let's go back to talking about twin peaks

I think a 26 episode anime season and a 13 episode HBO drama season have more in common than a soap running for 1300 episodes from either country. Again, really unclear why you're feeling the need to be such a dick in a friendly discussion about TV history, if you want to score some sick owns the GBS thread is over there

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you ever seen The Prisoner?

Yes. The Prisoner is not serialised, it's episodic. Basically every episode is a new Number 2 with a different plan.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Now we've seen Coop's return I can see why we spent so long with Dougie, he's back as the hyper-competent Special Agent he was introduced as in S1 and immediately set himself towards a direct confrontation with Bad Coop. it's magnificent to watch and if he'd been aware from the start there'd be no way to write a plot around him without limiting his abilities and making him come off as impotent. It's worked far better to keep us antsy with red herrings and fake outs whilst Dougie has his own misadventures to then give us his grand return firing on all cylinders for the finale, because goddamn that scene was exhilarating. Coop! :D

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't get to watch it until tomorrow night. The next day is gonna be torture -__-

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*Look at the 1300 new posts in the Twin Peaks thread tomorrow morning*

I wonder what they're talking about

Raxivace posted:

Once a day, every day give yourself a present.

Tonight that present should be the finale of Twin Peaks Season 3.

UK viewing times, plus have to wait for my viewing buddy to get round later in the evening. The things we do for our friends.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

This reminds me of something I've been curious about...

I'd love to know what non-Americans think about Twin Peaks' depiction of America, especially compared to other depictions of America in media you've seen.

I didn't know you had so many portals to hell, but in retrospect it explains alot about your country

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

G-III posted:

He's a bit tweaky and knew about the the manner in which she was killed. You could have twisted this into a show in which an insane FBI agent has a split personality (bob) and kills young girls while is normal self is unconscious during the actual killings. All the spirits and dreams could have been interpreted as trying to help him come to reality (e.g. laura whispering into his ear who killed her, etc...) It would be funny to think of someone like coop investigating and finding out he's the killer but that's clearly some pedestrian level 90s style serial killer movie stuff that Lynch would never bother with.

The show never supported this sort of idea and as soon as other actors were involved in trying to cover up laura's murder (e.g. leland killing what's his face in the hospital, etc...) But in the early episodes Dale does come off as a weird and almost autistic oddball that had the capacity to creep people out.

Mom called it 'psychologically taut'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you think about it in many ways Dougie was more of a force for good than Coop, who once he regained his faculties almost immediately ruined everything and accidentally forced Laura into an infinite loop of suffering(?)

Anyways, I kind of hope we don't get a Season 4 and that was the final, definitive end of Twin Peaks, though if we do I suspect it's going to be even more opaque and detached from the original show than this was.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think things would have worked out alot better if Coop took Jeffries' fate as a cautionary tale and didn't go through the basement door. Like, just go settle down with Janey-E or Diane or catch up with Albert and Gordon. Just literally anything which isn't 'attempt to rewrite time in an act of hubris, yank a woman's soul out of heaven and maroon her in a tulpa dimension where she has to relive her suffering all over again', it was just a really bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

I don't think Cooper's intention was to strand her in that dimension at all. I believe Cooper had the best of intentions, and hosed up because he failed to take into account how little he knew the nature and abilities of the entity that he was up against.

Cooper's action come from an innate and sincerely desire to help - that is the most basic nature of the character. I find it difficult to feel too upset at him for sincerely trying to save Laura and everyone in Twin Peaks.

He clearly didn't mean to do it on purpose, but he went up against a being of incomprehensible scope and power which has already removed one of his colleagues from existence with Laura's, Diane's and his own souls on the lines and somehow didn't come out on top. Even if he meant well, his arrogance and unwarranted faith in his own abilities has had terrible consequences and actively destroyed what little peace Laura had, it doesn't reflect terrible well on Coop.