Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh rad, PS4 has a Showtime App I can get and since I'm a PS+ member I get a small discount (two bucks off). Not bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked how they just left in the gobbledygook typing when Cooper was using the laptop. Only in a David Lynch production.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm glad we finally got to see who Tammy Preston was. She looked pretty much exactly as I thought she would. I hope she becomes a main player since she's probably the most informed of all this super natural poo poo thanks to reading through that mess of Twin Peaks history.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only thing I really miss from the show, despite a lot of it just working really well as is, are the Badalamenti music cues. The exchanged between Ben and Jerry in episode one would have been a great spot for it, but considering the tone of the episode it probably would have felt out of place.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This site's rad as heck

:siren:Also spoiler as heck for the latest episode.:siren:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Those three feel like Twin Peaks characters. They'd fit right in perfectly in the previous two seasons.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm hoping the last big sequence of the series is a mirror of season 2's (or at least happens at some point), with Good Coop chasing Bad Coop in the lodge and catching up to him. I think that'd be kind of awesome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uh, Shelly? I don't think that is the appropriate time to gleefully run into the arms and make out with the guy you're currently seeing.

Just saying.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only thing that this episode managed to do was produce a whole lot hot takes on how you shouldn't expect answers and how that's OK. Those kinds of takes polluted my twitter feed for a while and they're extremely pretentious because they focus solely on episode 12. I didn't care much for the episode on whole as someone whose been high on the show the entire run. The courtesan scene I liked a lot because of how absurd to the point of being hilarious it was but the Audrey scene, aside from some funny gags (the crystal ball being one) felt like the first time the show had wasted my time.

I can imagine some people are worried because Sherlock spent its entire garbage run building towards something in which it just ended on a wet fart of horribleness, despite the run having some genuinely good character moments. People rather not have Twin Peaks end up like that (I don't think it will). So when this episode comes along after a crazy good one, it kind of deflates enthusiasm and kills the pacing (as far as we know) people get a bit worried since 6 hours may seem like lots of time, the pacing has remained the same through-out so a lot of that will be slow drawn-out takes with characters doing things that may not be related to the mystery at hand.

I'm not too worried myself, I just hope this episode holds up better upon a rewatch than it did the first time around. It's the first time I've been genuinely disappointed with an episode in the show so far. Well, other than Bill Hastings getting killed. I really wanted to see more of that character.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone else think (contains stuff that hasn't happened yet taken from one of the trailers shown before the show aired) Dougie is going to get shot by Anthony and, like Bad Coop, will be brought back as Coop by the good Lodge inhabitants and the support of all the people he helped? I bring this up because in the trailer, you see Mike and Coop walking in a dark hallway and Cooper driving in darkness, so I'm thinking the shock of being shot will bring about more Lodge exploration.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If Coop comes back as a kung fu master then I think I'd be OK with that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Janey-E's reaction to the jungle gym and new car was utterly perfect. It's probably my favorite sequence in the entire show so far. Naomi Watts has been phenomenal this entire show.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the very same thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think this latest episode puts that 2 and a half minute long shot of the Roadhouse being cleaned up by the one guy and the scene finishing with a Renault picking up the phone into perspective. It gave you 2 and a half minutes to get a good look at the real roadhouse and being told that if there's a Renault behind the counter, it's the real Roadhouse. Audrey's Roadhouse doesn't have that detail. At least in this latest once, since there were two barmen behind the counter and neither one of them was a Renault.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That was a pretty lovely non-ending. Looking forward to all the hot takes of "no, you're watching the show wrong" defending that episode popping up everywhere. 17 was a really good episode, though.

Maybe something will come of it, but I doubt it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the whole last half of the episode is some kind of shenanigans of that thing inside Sarah Palmer. She was flipping out something fierce before Laura disappeared.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

el oso posted:

Man, getting to see the first episode of S4 was great. Looking forward to the rest of the season to see the resolution with Laura and Audrey especially but tons of other things I'm sure they'll address too.

That's how I see it too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ranbo das posted:

I originally hoped Coop wouldn't come back because it would feel like a copout to have everything end on a "Coop solves everything and wraps everything up" note.

Glad to see Lynch was one step ahead of me. God that was amazing.

I disagree, it would have been a good loop if he had. Redeem his failings from season 2. The Spirits of the lounge, to me, were just extensions of human emotion. Bob was strongest in Twin Peaks because of the unchecked evil that existed there. The giant was an extension of Cooper's goodness and Laura's inherent goodness. She was killed and he failed to stop evil in episode 2 and suffered 25 years of spending time with backwards talking weirdos.

Turning them into Lovecrafting god horrors is just dumb and I don't think that's what Lynch did.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I was wondering what the giant meant by 430 from ep 1, but I just realized that Coop and Diane drove 430 miles exactly.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. It might explain why Cooper remembers who he is in the dream and not Diane, who disappears. I think the Fireman knew something like this would happen. Mother sure wants to keep poor Laura down.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

Dale's a loving idiot. The past doesn't dictate the future. That's the PRESENT.

You can't change where you came from, only where you're going. Try to change your past - or anyone's - and you'll find it's an impossible task.

The world spins.

I don't know. When the Mother of all the evil going on in Twin Peaks starts flipping the gently caress out because you're succeeding in doing something in the past, you know you're doing something right. I think it's something nefarious on their end more so than the nihilism or fatalism of what people want the ending to be.

Edit: It's why the world goes dark when Laura screams at the end, she remembered something she wasn't supposed to by design and it broke the illusion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Even if there was to be a season 4, I'm pretty unclear on what could possibly be done at this point. Laura's just had her mind broken by contact with the infinite, and at any rate all she could really do is go up to Judy- an entity that can evidently rewrite space and time- and try to kill it with her goodness orb. I'm not buying it.

Who says she could rewrite space and time? She doesn't have any defined power and literally anything can be written about that entity and the situation Cooper found himself in with Laura in the finale.

God-like entities are loving boring on top of that too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Even though Cooper is a well meaning guy that genuinely wants to help people and seems to change whatever individuals he runs into for the better, he can't do bring about that change on a macro level. The world is still an overall lovely place.

Like, Cooper couldn't save Stephen from killing himself.

It's a lovely place but that doesn't mean good people like Cooper can't try. He has succeeded more often than not in events he was an active participant. And while he gets in over his head, especially in this season, its with the help of others that things turn out OK.

It's why I don't agree with all the endless cycle/nightmare theories because it delves down into fatalism and, in some, nihilism. Up to that point, this show has been anything but, which is why the ending is so... jarring to me. It kind of runs contrary to how I saw the series up to that point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

From the present? Yes. From the past? I don't think so.

My understanding of Buddhism is tremendously, laughably limited, but this strikes me as a view perfectly in line with Lynch's meditative practices. The past is gone - let go of it.

Yeah, but who says he's working to fix the past? Cooper was clearly on to something or else we wouldn't have had the shot of Sarah going apeshit on Laura's picture. Laura looks like she's the antithesis to Mother. Cooper was taking her home when Laura disappeared, thanks to Mother interfering. So he went where she went and took her home.

I don't think the thread is giving Cooper enough credit. He's doing things that these entities aren't liking and I think he's succeeding in it. He falters and only when he's alone did he outright fail (at the end of season 2) but the finale, something happened and I don't think it was something bad (for him or Laura). He brought her home and she crashed the entire illusion or reality or whatever it was.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Freddie pounded Bob into dust. He won't be bothering anyone anymore.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nopants posted:

Really thought lynch was gonna let the good guys win for once

My reading of the finale is that he did. The last half of 18 was one last hurdle for him to overcome and he almost didn't succeed but Laura got a reaction from going home and sent the whole illusion crashing down. I think Lynch constructed the whole thing in a certain way so people can come to their own conclusions on what happen. It's not something I'm fond of but every theory can be supported by what's on screen and if you feel Coop saved Laura and succeeded then that's what happens.

Still not a fan of the ending, but it does give everyone a lot to talk about.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

Uh, yeah? S1 and S2 are full of Coop charging into situations believe he can solve everything and save everyone. He's charming and good and kind, but he's also pretty proud and seems to believe he can push the envelope and come away unharmed. He was wrong at the end of S2 and it appears he didn't learn his lesson.

I don't think he's like that at all. He was quite proactive in season 1 and did make headway. Second half of season 2 Cooper was bad but not so much because of the character but because the writers didn't know what they wanted to do with him so he just kind of stood around and thought about things. His biggest failing was in the Lodge at the end of Season 2.

I don't think he failed. It's just his opponents are able to move the goal posts around, so he has to go extra miles to accomplish things. He is what Phillip Jeffries was supposed to be - Jeffries kind of lost it and became part of the Lodge while Cooper keeps trucking on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Season 4 or a movie. I can see either one happening.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe Laura is trying to save Cooper by telling him exactly what will happen after 2:53 and episode 18 is exactly that.

It's been really fun reading all the theories that pop up, from the ultra nihilistic ones to the super hopeful ones. But if I'm to be honest I still disliked the ending even after stewing in it for a week. Though it was better crafted and kind of set up, it still reeks of "lots of speculation from everyone" poo poo the Mass Effect 3 ending was going for. I knew I was going to be disappointed when, what should have been a very cathartic moment - Dougie returning to Janey-E and Sonny Jim - felt like it was tacked on and brushed aside with no fanfare. It felt, to me, that David Lynch cares more about doing weird surreal stuff than the actual characters involved in those events.

I would love another season but I doubt that will happen. This season had extraordinary highs for me but as a whole it's not half the show Season 1 was.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 8, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It gets funnier each time. "I have a potentially insightful idea about how the finale should be interpreted....well, time to gently caress it all up by attempting to impose a happy ending on the whole thing!" People are so in love with S1 Cooper that they refuse to accept that he's ever hosed up. Whether it's Jean Renault rightfully calling him out on some of his poo poo in S2, the way he botched the ending of S2, or his crystal clear confusion with the existential horror at the end of S3. Nope, sorry, I found him quirky and charming so he's infallible.

Fans of the show liking characters from it?! That's just crazy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like Cooper, but I can see that he has some deep and crippling flaws that harm those around him. Cooper fanbois see a confused old man at the end of season 3 and decide that he's not saying "what year is it" he's saying "trap sprung, ultimate evil in the universe, good guys win forever!" They are literally unable to take in the audiovisual information provided because their conviction that Cooper=amusing=good is so overpowering.

Going by that reading of the ending, it seems like it was more of a gamble than a certainty to me. It paid off. You can be certain of a plan but not of its success. I agree that I don't think it was a mission success phrase for him but an actual question. Making him that certain would have diminished Judy but in the end, I buy into that he succeeded. I liked those theories more than the nihilistic ones.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 9, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's the lovely Garbage Trash dimension. It just happens to be exactly like ours.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And More posted:

It seems fair to assume that Cooper was punching above his weight by trying to confront Judy. Despite that, he also had the support of just about everyone: Major Briggs, the Fireman, MIKE, Phillip Jeffries, Gordon and Diane. This leads me to believe that, while success wasn't certain, it wasn't some kind of hubristic "he just doesn't know when to stop" move on Coop's part, either.

The final question is terrifying because Cooper usually doesn't lose his composure. It's ambiguous, though, neither entirely bad nor good. What we're seeing after the scream is either Judy being defeated, Judy winning or Judy simply revealing herself. The ending is a moment of utter uncertainty that never gets fully resolved.

You don't actually see his face fall because it's only showing Frank. The next time you see Cooper, he's asking, as chipper as ever: "We're just entering Twin Peaks city limits. Is the coffee on?" Later, he even goes on to explain that Major Briggs told him he'd receive the key from sheriff Truman, and that he naturally assumed it would be Harry.

I could see that being the moral, to some degree. Cooper was always about those little moments in which he just took time to enjoy life. That's also what differentiated him from the more cynical and bitter Albert whose "concerns were global". Cooper helps people, not all of humanity. In season three, Cooper barely deals with the moments anymore. He doesn't enjoy coffee, and doesn't take the time to properly meet Truman and the others before he leaves. His concerns aren't global, they're cosmic.

Then again, I think people also have a point that he seems to lose himself once he enters the parallel dimension. Maybe he's exactly in such a rush because timing is of the essence, and losing track of time means that you're lost in the other dimension.

So that's why that word sounded so familiar. :monocle:

Yeah, that reading does explain why he's in such a rush after Mr. C and Bob are defeated and why he's kind of dour, but not outright cold, in Odessa. He's in a rush because the longer he stays in that alternate dimension the more of himself he'll lose, probably like Laura did. It's still my favorite read on the ending and makes me appreciate it a whole lot more. Also explains the super-imposed face of Cooper and his questions to Diane, which was something I couldn't parse at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

That's just it - he's not sure the plan is working, because not only did Laura completely forget who she used to be, but there's no trace of the Palmers at the Palmer household. That inconsistency throws his confidence and sense of place out the window, and this causes him to question what, exactly, is going on.

Also, not sure what you're getting out of dunking on people for liking a particular theory just because you see it as too happy, or whatever. It's actually tragic for multiple reasons despite the possibility that they may have succeeded in the end.

It's kind of interesting to see him go from extremely happy and optimistic at seeing Diane and that slowly washes away for the rest of 17 and in 18 to the point he is confused by it. It's like wandering a desert, despite knowing where the oasis is, then coming to a huge rock and being confused why the oasis isn't there, then your companion realizing it's behind that rock.

I do hope they all see each other again someday.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Raxivace posted:

It seems like that thing where people overlay The Shining being played backwards over the film being played forwards. Like yeah some of "matches" look cool but how much of this footage ends up totally looking like nonsense?

I think it lines up at important points, mainly towards the end but with others are a stretch. The guy does have a point - doing an ending that way is a very David Lynch thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's always nice to see a Scream Queen defeat her enemy with her scream, too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still don't know much about the facts of what happened in the last episode but after rewatching episode 2 I'm pretty sure the Laura in the black dress that whispers in Cooper's ear is from a point chronologically after the "odessaverse" scenes. On rewatch, she is furious with Cooper for what he's done and when she whispers in his ear she's probably explaining just how badly he's hosed up. Then he forgets and does it all over again.

I don't think he hosed up at all. It's hard to put tone on people pronouncing words backwards so it sounds "normal" when it is reversed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is right here some prime Harry Dean Stanton stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I like that. I'm probably going to end up going with that interpretation, because the thought of Laura being denied that grace and peace at the end of FWWM bothers me so much.

I think Cooper's stint as Dougie may have led to some of his hubris in trying to change things. He was able to improve others' lives just through being a passive guy; he may well have thought that active change could make an even better improvement in things but didn't take into account that helping Janey-E and the mob brothers on an everyday level is a lot different than rewriting history and purging the world of a force of evil.

I think equating the will and action of trying to change something bad as hubris is pretty toxic. You don't change anything by being passive. Dougie wasn't passive, he was being led. He did the barest amount of effort in the right situation that led certain events to play out. He was helped by Mike and by Cooper's waking mind punching through the the sleepwalking Dougie. Cooper did what he did and it'll probably lead to another adventure because that's what these things do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And More posted:

What are you people talking about? He caught the culprit, defeated his culprit's murderous spirit, and undid the murder. If anything, he's way too thorough.

He's a hero who succeeds. And heroes make sacrifices others don't.

Coop's just in another pickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dune is carried by its performances and production design. The story is nonsense, even for people who read the book. But the setpieces are pretty amazing. It's the kind of film you can watch muted and get a lot from the visuals but it's also fun hearing really good actors and actresses quote lines from the book.