Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MrJacobs posted:

No, she totally did. The film might not have, but that was her total motivation for most of the film.

But it was also part of the text that the fairytale version of Creation the Amazons gave her was part of a deliberate conspiracy to keep all aspects of her status and the nature of the world locked away until she could discover them for herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It looked to me like the boats that crossed through the shroud or whatever were already damaged and listing so they probably didn't have all that much further they could go...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think it's more that they're timeless. Time passing outside has no impact on them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Part of what made that line great in 1954 was that there was a twist after that twist.

You thought that the prophecy twist was that Eowyn wasn't a man, she was a woman, but then Merry jumps into the battle and stabs the Witch King's knee, which lets Eowyn kill him. Merry was also not a man according to the prophecy, Merry was a hobbit.

This is something that appeared to fly over the film screenwriters' heads as well.

Uh, the sequence of events in the movie is:

Eowyn stands between Witch-King and Theoden.
Eowyn chops off the dwimmerlaik's head.
Eowyn duels the Witch-King.
The Witch-King smashes her shield and knocks her to the ground.
The Witch-King does the "no man" speech while holding her up by the throat.
Merry STABS THE WITCH-KING.
Witch-King drops Eowyn.
Eowyn does her "I am no man" bit.
Eowyn kills the Witch-King.

I don't think it flew over the screenwriters' heads. Well, other than that they didn't make a big deal out of there being a prophecy at all.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Heh, "SMALL THOUGHTS"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

And no mans land is a more emotional honest beat than anything out of the marvel universe.

That's basically it. Even as it ultimately pulls back from the feel-good glow of the snowy firelit evening in the village, it feels sincere and not cynical.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

Which then leads into the Cold War and all the proxy wars associated with it.

Hell we're still fighting at least 3 of those

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was just rewatching the Doomsday fight scene in BvS and when Lois Lane runs up after the battle to discover Superman is dead it's Diana who turns and looks at her. Diana understood.

There's some other cool stuff around her in BvS, like introducing us to Diana visually while Lex is blathering on about Greek mythology at the fundraiser--seriously funny as hell while Lex manically bounces from point to point pointlessly while you can see and almost hear her eyes rolling into the back of her head. Also starting off with the definition of philanthropist, etc.

Also later on, knowing about the sword of Alexander the Great at the museum event as part of her cover job (where Bruce's interest comes at it from the angle of his crime fighting), etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was watching BvS: UE some more and I noticed during the Doomsday fight scene there's a part where Diana gets punched and she goes sliding along the ground and loses her shield and sword. She picks herself up and before she grabs her equipment she looks at Doomsday and has a smirking smile on her face. Almost like "Finally!" Was this something new for the Ultimate Edition or was it in the theatrical cut? A I thought it was an interesting was of enforcing the notion of her being trained as a warrior her entire life.

Also, when she says the bit about "I've killed things from other worlds before" is she talking about Ares? I mean she seems to have completely disappeared after WW1 (Bruce Wayne's note to her asks "Where have you been?") so it doesn't seem like she was doing any kind of even limited intervention.

I can sort of see how Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg were discovered by Lex since them using heir powers were all captured on camera but is there any explanation as to how he found out about Diana? The picture is the proof but without that how would he know? I'm thinking maybe it was passed down through a family of one of the squad members or villagers along with the story of her actions but her saying it was stolen seems to suggest that she had it in her possession.

I'm 95% sure that grin/smirk was in theatrical.

In the Justice League teaser/trailers there's a line from Diana where she's like telling Bruce "they're already here" so maybe there's meant to be some intervening adventure where she leaves the world of mortals behind for a bit, but does end up stopping some sort of incursion against Themyscira. Not sure that enough of this had been plotted out when they wrote BvS. It'd be a neat bit of retcon if so.

Yeah, Lex's entire set of blackmail against her seemed to be the 191x photograph and ... surveillance tapes of her doing normal-ish things?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I always got the distinct impression that this incarnation of Perry White was also in the know, unless he's got 4th wall breaking levels of dramatic irony as a superpower and only uses it to goad Clark Kent.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 24, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

My treatment of the Wonder Woman script:

Ares: That sword is meaningless. Right now, my team of engineers have just completed the ultimate weapon to destroy mankind, and it's in that plane!!

Steve Trevor heroically sacrifices himself to destroy the plane. Diana kills Ares.

Later, a young German veteran on his way to art school roots through the plane's wreckage and finds a box containing a 56k modem.

The End...?

Not enough quips.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it's usually a bad idea for a top spy to be the best looking, most memorable person in the room which is why spies are usually pretty plain, nondescript people. (Frederick Joubert Duquesne was a bit of a looker in his youth but he wasn't all that in his later years.) Mata Hari is the obvious exception but in that case her looks were her cover.

As we have discovered from real life, as a top spy nobody can remember you despite having met with you specifically, like a dozen times in 6 months, no matter how you look.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

He solves or attempts to solve every single problem throughout the movie with an action figure accessory.

All he was missing was the shark repellent and we'd have had a full set.

I'm still sore they never made a busted-armor spear-wielding version of the figure. All I see is vaporware/scalped customs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 16, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The last 3-4 appearances of Batman on film have convinced me the only humor these films should attempt is making fun of Batman.

Hopefully Matt Reeves gets it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, Lex has two parallel plans to lure him into stealing the kryptonite: invite Bruce Wayne over to his lab for a tour, and leak that someone named "The White Portuguese" is bringing a dirty bomb into Gotham. It's Batman that finds out about it, because he's total checked out of being Bruce Wayne.

That was the best, if he'd had simply dropped by for that "collaboration" he wouldn't have had to 'leech' Lex Luthor's home network OR blow up half the docks and LexCorp's research facility.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It also makes his scene around the campfire more poignant and reinforces the lesson Diana learned from Ares--humanity is lovely enough on its own and even the semi-divine can't seem to do anything about it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

teagone posted:

Diana being a curator of ancient relics in modern times is great :allears:

Mr. Apollo posted:

In BvS she has both a new sword and shield. DC and Snyder and that they're the "Sword and Aegis of Athena". I'm assuming that Diana's position at The Louvre gives her access to all sorts of weapons from antiquity.

Again it's loving great that our visual introduction to Diana is during a scene where Lex Luthor is mansplaining what to her is actual history.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
We've seen Superman in some of the 'on the set' previews that has those scenes in the trailers right? They're cutting REALLY close around to keep him out of this trailer?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha, that reminds me. In the new Justice League trailer Diana is show working on the restoration of an ancient statue:

It could be the statue of a goddess, in which case it's probably one of her relatives.

Continuing again the running joke of grinning and bearing while mortals make up some poo poo about things that happened in her family's living memory.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

In The Ultimate Edition of BvS, Bruce takes a handful of prescription pills when he wakes up in the morning. His nightstand has a bunch of bottles on it. I mean it's not Confined to a Wheelchair Man but it's a small sign of the toll being batman takes on his body (and possibly mind).

Really, this explains the hallucinations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm guessing they moved from a summer release date so as not to compete with Star Wars: Episode IX which comes out on May 24, 2019.

We all know Star Wars is inevitably going to be pushed back to the holiday season tho

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was wondering why 7 and 8 were holiday season releases and 9 is a May release.

AFAIK 7, 8, and Rogue One were all 3 originally scheduled for summer release dates then moved back to holiday season.

Frankly it probably works out for all concerned.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Hold on a minute here, there's "untroubled" and then there's completely unencumbered. Wonder Woman tilts too far towards the latter, her characterization being pegged at "innocent" until the series of reveals towards the end.

And her insistence on taking the offensive lead at Veld is basically analogous to "macho".

(This is basically the same direction I would argue for Fury Road, that both movies are nearly masturbatorily satisfied with simply showing us a female protagonist who can kick as much rear end as a male one in the same way a male one. In that, they are closer to the label someone gave Whedon's characters in one of these threads--female, but she kicks rear end, than the counter ideal of female, AND she kicks rear end)

I suppose it's an indictment of us as much as anything that Wonder Woman is the best girl empowerment superhero movie. We've fallen far.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 25, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

She doesn't believe people have the natural capacity to be evil for most of the movie. That's a bit more than just being "pegged at innocent."

Given that that's the story, I don't see what the problem is?

The story is inextricable from character.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think James Cameron kinda lacks the language for what he's trying to get across here, aside from that Strong Female Protagonist kinda just doesn't cut it anymore.

And yet still too few of those exist.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at’ite is a hunter, teacher, warrior.

She stopped her war.

There's a point to be made here that, even as relatively simple as Avatar is, she's written as a participatory partner in the conflict and not a trophy or a damsel. She takes her share of kills and in the end is the one to ride to the rescue to shoot Quaritch off Jake's avatar's back.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

She saves her love interest.

A male role, but cast a woman.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Michelle Rodriguez came back after explicitly dying in the Resident Evil series and in the Fast and the Furious series, so with four Avatar sequels happening I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Isn't Sigourney Weaver signed on for all the sequels too? I assume she'll be like, the face of Eywa, or whatever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Steve Trevor is no Kyle Reese!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
This is because superhero movies by and large represent a significant regression in fascist power fantasy from even 80s action movies.

When faced with the easily foreseen infantilization of American action cinema Cameron, at the top of his game, stopped making them. True Lies is his final entry into that particular genre of the oeuvre.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 27, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought the author of The Hunger Games was a libertarian survivalist or something.

I haven't read the book but it wouldn't be the first time the movie adaptation inverted the source material.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why we can't just take her origin story and the whole movie at face value. It's a comic book movie.

We get 2 explanations for her origin in the movie itself already and frankly there's no reason to expect either are altogether entirely correct.

It's particularly instructive that the first one is even diegetically a fairy tale. And it does double duty, even--why, the storks brought you!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The closest we come is another Zimmer joint with the Batman motif with the Dark Knight trilogy, and that's mostly really the first two flicks. The third one is mostly him playing with combining the existing themes made of that motif rather than developing the motif itself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2017

• Locked thread