Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Throwing Turtles posted:

It was like the only part that wasn't in the acquisition.

That and Fox Sports, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shibawanko posted:

So is there any chance of threatening the republicans' majorities in the house or the senate? I'm not American so I only vaguely know how it works and how things are.

Or is there any other way to frustrate Trump or make it hard for him to do anything except for the next presidential election?

House: yes, absolutely. Every House seat is up for election every 2 years.
Senate: possible, but less likely. Only 1/3 of Senate seats are up for election every 2 years, and the ones up for grabs in 2018 don't include many Republican seats, and do include a good number of vulnerable Democrats.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 17, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At this point, the only thing I can imagine saving the Republican House majority is a war.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ceiling fan posted:

LOL. There's a smorgasbord of crimes to impeach Trump over. Pick one. If that falls apart, pick another. It only takes one high crime or misdemeanor. That's before you get into pedantically talking about the difference between impeachment and a grand jury indictment.

The problem is that if you pick one and it falls apart, it discredits any future attempts to impeach Trump in the eyes of the public.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aramis posted:

They won't be able to do the same with the inevitable GA resolution, but it's not like anyone actually cares what the GA has to say. Frankly, I'm surprised the SC bothered with that in the first place, even as a political statement, it's pretty silly.

You're wondering why the United Nations is doing high-minded idealistic empty gestures? lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This is only slightly worse than the kind of poo poo Steve King says/puts out on social media.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snacksmaniac posted:

Didn’t comet tell him three times that he wasn’t under investigation according no one ?

I think what happened was Comey, almost certainly after being specifically asked by Trump, repeatedly told him he was not personally under investigation, but rather, his campaign was, and Trump repeatedly heralded the first half the statement publicly as a sign that he was totally in the clear, and also kept asking because he was hoping that doing so might magically change the answer.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Holy gently caress, that's what his Disney robot looks like?

You know, when I first heard Trump was getting a robot in the Hall of Presidents I was pissed. I'm not sure why it upset me so much, there was so much more to be angry about, but there was something about such an awful man being honored in a themepark meant for children that made me feel really sick.

But now, staring at this hideous, bloated, mechanical monstrosity I realize something: this is not an honor, it's an obligation. We all must remember the mistakes we have made, no matter how awful and disgusting they are. This is not the android most people wanted, and yet here it is and we all have to deal with that. May it haunt the dreams of children forever more.

If I ever meet the imagineers who made this thing I'm buying them all a drink, they must hate Trump even more than I do.

They were pissed that all the work they put into the nearly-complete Hillary bot was wasted and they took it out on Trump bot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/943136421765840896

Yes, that certainly sounds like most average families. Who among us doesn't have a side business making $40,000/yr?

Ah yes, tell me more about normal, average families, Mr. 1%

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Meat is gonna become a luxury in our lifetimes (assuming everyone here is in their 20'/30's) anyway.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol that the blind greed of the Republicans has managed to make a tax cut unpopular for the first time in American history

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Azhais posted:

What happens in case of a tie? Is there a new election or does someone get a tiebreaker?

I believe they draw lots.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Munkeymon posted:

Too easy to manipulate - they should really use a coin flip

Of course, the question then is how do you do it when more than two candidates are tied? You need a random chance method that can scale up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've had an idea for a law to reduce the obvious bribery of Congresspeople that's been floating around in my head a while but I've always thought it must be dumb since I've never heard anyone else propose something like this

Basically, a member of Congress, in order to be seated, has to divest themselves of all businesses and investments they own, with the exception of retirement accounts. After someone leaves Congress, they receive a pension equal to, say, 70% of the current congressional salary for as long as they live, but they're no longer allowed to work anywhere except nonprofits or academia.

This would eliminate the kind of super obvious bribery like with Corker and significantly cut back on wingnut welfare for Congresspeople.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know how you guys can be so sure of the BLUE WAVE you're always crowing about. If this dickbags tax bill artificially inflates the growth rate of the economy at the time it's most likely to and designed to, what makes you think most idiots are going to see anything other than that and a standard deduction that's twice as big on their most recent 1040 when they go to the ballot box? It's a dirty loving plan to sell out our entire future to trick their way past a single midterm, but why should we assume it will fail considering how dumb people had to be to vote for Trump in the first place?

The tax bill is repealing the individual mandate, which is going to hurt everyone's wallet other than millionaires far, far more than they'll save.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lycus posted:

Is there a thread for 2018 governors? I'm been paying so much attention to the Senate, I know nothing about that.

Nope, just a 2017 state-level race thread.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Calaveron posted:

Is there any sort of silver lining to what happened today

When Democrats repeal this in 2021, they'll have more money to institute UHC?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reik posted:

Trump just signed their tax scam, what do they need him for anymore?

For one thing, any Republican Senator who votes to remove Trump from office is 100% getting primaried hard from the right and they know it, and for another, we're talking about impeaching lovely right-wing federal judges/Supreme Court Justices and no Republican's gonna go along with that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I had no idea LaRouche weirdos were all-in on Trump.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shifty Pony posted:

Can we all at least agree that A Christmas Story is only a thing now because it appeals so strongly to boomers' desperate nostalgia?

I dunno about that, it's a movie made when they were in their ~30's and set before they were born.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Why would they touch that third rail, what possibly could have prompted-

Oh

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Are food stamps universally popular and untouchable in the same way Social Security and Medicare are? Like, even typical rank-and-file Republican voters don't want to get rid of those two programs, even though their leaders would absolutely love to, but in the white middle-class bubble most Republicans live in, "food stamps" is just code for "poor lazy blacks."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kale posted:

I find it impossible to imagine that Trump this GOP congress is going to work on some bi-partisan infrastructure bill with the Democratic wing after all the blithering and not even letting them have any say in governing and legislation for an entire year. I simply don't believe, it's not gonna happen and Trump is just going to get bogged down in some personal beef with the media again. On the maybe 5% chance it actually happens it'd certainly be a first though.

I mean, hell, infrastructure probably is the one major legislative area where there is potential for widespread bipartisan agreement in this Congress... but if Trump tries to use this opportunity to push The Wall then poo poo's gonna get hairy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol that the publishers of Milo's book thought he was a serious intellectual conservative and not a sub-Ann-Coulter level troll

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kilroy posted:

Thing is, she probably would have squeaked out a win against Bernie even without the underhanded tactics. But why win cleanly with 90% probability when you can break and bend the rules to win with 99% probability?

What underhanded tactics were there, though? Like yeah I know the DNC wanted her to win all along and there were some bigtime financial ties, but I've never seen any indication that the votes were rigged or they bent the rules to discourage Bernie supporters from voting or anything like that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr Interweb posted:

I heard about this before, got a link?

This was shortly after he became Breitbart's tech editor.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is there any evidence at all that Trump ever reads the comments to his tweets? I think he just looks at the number of likes and retweets and gets a chub. He doesn’t have the capacity or insight to read any replies.

He's retweeted some replies to his tweets before. They usually end up being open white supremacists or obvious bots.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Clunk Tap It posted:

Has there actually been any backlash from the alt-right when they turned the OK gesture into the WP gesture?

Not really, no. The thing went like "haha libs are so stupid they'll believe the OK signal is a white power gesture if we start pretending like it is" and so they started using it as a white power gesture which turned into media reporting on it being a white power gesture to which they reacted "haha stupid libs got owned, we played them like a fiddle"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lube banjo posted:

has anyone stopped to think about just how great of a movie all this will make some day?

It would really strain credibility.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Night10194 posted:

Say, isn't the guy who was drunkenly bragging to the Australians like, the guy who already plead guilty quite awhile back, and who has definitely flipped?

Yes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think Prester Jane brings a unique and valuable perspective to the thread and I'd regret seeing her quit posting because she gets shouted down every time she comes in here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wouldn't be opposed to states increasing taxes to provide necessary services making up for the federal tax cut, but it would definitely be an uphill battle in most states, even the majority of blue ones, I'd figure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Jones is certainly a better choice than Moore, though he is gonna be centrist af since even his dem constituents swing way more right than other dems.

Yeah that was always a given. But hell, a centrist Democrat is gonna vote the way the way this thread likes 90% of the time, more on votes that actually matter, as opposed to 0% for literally any Republican who would get elected in Alabama.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait does Hatch not want to ascend to the Presidency? Or does he just believe that events won't put him there before 2018 absolutely crushes the GOP like they fell into the heart of TON 618, giving us President Pelosi instead?

If events would lead to Hatch ascending to the Presidency, be it in 2018 or 2019, we'd be looking at the end of the Republican Party. That's something he probably doesn't want to be involved with.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Doug Jones appointed African American Dana Gresham as his chief of staff, I believe the only Democratic senator currently to do that.

Considering that black people are the cornerstone of the Democratic party, it's pretty remarkable that out of 49 Democratic senators, only one has a black chief of staff.

Also, how the hell are there only 3 black senators? And one of them is Tim Scott?? I was expecting there to be like 5 or 6 at the very least, sheesh.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Don't discount the incumbency advantage. It's really hard to beat an incumbent president.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

There Bias Two posted:

Wow, they're all jumping ship.

His district went for Trump by 49 points. It's exceedingly unlikely he would have lost if he ran again unless there's a story about to come out about him being a child molester. He probably has other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Likelihood of how Korean War 2 could start, from least to most:

North Korea launching an unprovoked attack
America launching an unprovoked attack
[A big gap]
The constant saber rattling leading to a climate in which one or both sides accept that war is inevitable, causing someone on the ground to make a mistake or misunderstanding that is taken as an act of aggression by the other side and escalates to war

• Locked thread