Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The 1st needs to get here faster! drat you time!

I just want to run a lance full of Battlemasters, I don't know how I'll afford it, but I will find a way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Got my key...

...and am stuck at work until late due to month end close. :emo:

You must be an Accountant! I am a Tax Analyst and all of the accounting half of our team hates the first couple of days each month while I get to leave at 5 like any other day!

I can't wait for it to be 5 now!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

isildur posted:

'death' won't always result in a lost pilot. it is likely to result in a pilot in the medbay.

But... um, yes, we have not tuned injury relative to the sim game, like at all. Combat tuning has been its own isolated silo for most of the project. So we're going to have to make a few more passes at things like injuries and headshots before I'll be happy with them.

(That said, I want you losing pilots and crying about it)

This is good! I WANT to lose pilots and cry about it!

I played a few skirmishes last night and this game is fantastic so far! I did lose my Battlemaster to a freak head shot right at the beginning of my first game, but still almost managed to pull it out (the enemy had a single Cent left with only 1 functioning med laser and I had an Awesome with 1 LL left, he managed to get behind me where my armor had been weakened by a sniping Vindi and kill me.)

The AI actually seems to be not horrible in the game which makes me really happy, though they do sometimes get overzealous. My second match the computer ran his Shadowhawk up far ahead of the rest of his mechs and right into the face of an Atlas with 2 Vindi's and a Griffon just waiting to ambush him which immediately gave me a 4-3 advantage.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

In every game I play, my scout is the one mech that is almost undamaged by the end of the fight, even if it's a locust.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The Shadowhawk you start with is so good that I ran it until I got the Highlander. Glitch in a Shadowhawk with SRM 16 can easily work her way behind almost any mech and core them in a volley or two, especially once you crank up her tactics. Tactics, plus cheap called shots plus 16 missiles in the small of the back equals dead mechs real quick.

I managed to take a Grasshopper, two Thunderhawks and a Griffon backed up by a Demolisher, a Shrek and two SRM Carriers with her in the Shadow Hawk, My main guy in a 40 LRM Cent, Dekker in a punchy Jager (full jump jets, 2 small lasers, 2 MG, 3 ML and 1 LL, try to get close and DFA a mech and then punch them as much as I can after that since the legs are mostly gone after that first one) and Behemoth in an Orion with an AC 20 and 12 SRMs.

Behemoth had to eject from the Orion with 3 hits on her, but managed a lucky headshot on the grasshopper before she got taken out, my main character ran out of missiles and had to go tank fire for a while, but they didn't manage to take him out, and Dekker and Glitch Just played the be super defensive, defer to the last phase, hit what you can, activate early next round, hit them again and back off to be defensive game and managed to circle around and generally just get one enemy at a time that could take any shots back.

The grasshopper is amazing and a far better punchbot than Dekker's old Jagermech. 6 ML, 4 SL and 2MG will core most mechs fast and god help them if he gets to DFA them.

Shortly after that mission I got the Highlander as well as another Orion so my lance is now Orion LRM boat, Orion brawler, Grasshopper disco-punchbot and the Highlander with Gauss/30 LRM (all with +2 stab damage) and a couple of ML just in case anything ever gets close to her. I feel like nothing is capable of stopping this lance now.

This game is so much fun.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 12, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I beat the game with Glitch in the SLDF Highlander set up with Gauss + LRMs Behemoth in a Highlander with SRM 18, full medium lasers and machine guns, main character in an Orion LRM boat and Dekker in a Grasshopper with 7 med lasers, 4 small lasers and 2 MGs. It was incredibly easy. Only thing that happened in the first part was my main character took a shot in the dome and had to sit out for part 2. Since you get you know who in you know what, I just ran with that person plus Glitch, Behemoth and Dekker. Glitch had two headshots in the first two rounds an assault mech I don't even remember exactly what it was since it died so fast and Viktoria in her King Crab and then we mopped up the others. It was very anti-climatic.

Then afterwards, in my first mission driving the Atlas II that I'd decked out with dual AC 20s and SRMs my main character gets headshot by an opposing AC 20. I hope my luck gets better in that thing! That fight was a random contract and was way harder with just 3 people against multiple highlanders, stalkers and zeus but I managed to pull it out.

The game is fun enough that I'm still playing even though the story is done, that's always a good sign.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Alright after ~100 hours I still love this game; quirks and all. I've now shifted to multiplayer but it can take a while to get a game going. What's everyone's preferred c-bill limit? I've noticed that beta players prefer 15mil any particular reason why?

I want an unlimited C-Bill bracket. I am a House Steiner goon through and through. Grasshopper should be the lightest mech I'm forced to field, and just because I want a nice mobile scout!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

high six posted:

If I recall, tanks in the tabletop didn't have a heat mechanic to worry about. Not sure how that was explained in-universe.

In the original BT tabletop game, we eventually outlawed tanks because they were just flat out better than mechs. They were cheaper and had more firepower per ton so you could just mass them and overwhelm any mech lance. I am kind of glad they made them so scary in this game. I always take out vehicles first unless there is a priority target in my face that needs to be handled.

Razzled posted:

all i know is the tanks look smaller than my mechs, is their size available to see in the ui?

also didn't know vehicles take double damage from melee, that's good to know.

on a side note, are there ever any good variants of light mechs? one of my favorite builds from MWO was the jenner that could fit like 6 medium lasers lol

Firestarters can be made into mini death dealing machines. They are really the only light worth bothering with.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My tactic once I got the Cent was to use the Shadow Hawk as the forward observer/flanker piled up with SRMs (2 6s and a 4), the Vindi I swapped out the LRM for SRMs and used it as a support mech that mostly just finished knocking stuff down. The Blackjack I swapped out the AC 2s for an AC 5 and used it along with the Vindi to help knock things over. Finally the Cent, which was the key, I loaded 2 LRM 20s onto.

I put jump jets on everything except the Cent and every turn I jump to get the max evasion pips that I can get (all my pilots except my missile boat driver, who got Bulwark and Multi Target, have the first piloting skill to get more evasion pips) and I try and stay in cover as much as possible.

Get in range, sensor lock the first thing the Shadow Hawk can see, unload your LRMs into it to make it unsteady, move your other mechs up and finish knocking it down, core it with the Shadow Hawk the next turn. Of course, reinforcements or the rare occasion where the AI sticks close together and you can't lure any of them out on their own makes you mix it up a bit, as do the story missions which tend to have lots of things coming at you from all directions, but that general tactic can carry you far and let you get enough salvage to upgrade your mechs pretty quickly.

Also, always take max salvage. You will end up with more money that way in the end. Once you start putting together mechs, store them (don't salvage them) and sell them next time you are at a store. I have tens of millions of c-bills and I am at the point where I spend almost a million a month on expenses.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Eldragon posted:

Honestly you were probably not running the rules correctly, or not exploiting the weaknesses of vehicles. KIcking the treads of a tank instantly immobilizes it, flamers/inferno SRMs cook them easily. To be fair once you bring tanks into the game you're running into spergy level rules understanding and its easy to overlook their weaknesses.

By cheaper do you mean tonnage, CBill cost, or battle value? Because the really good, deadly tanks (w/ fusion engines) were expensive by BV and Cbill.

Tanks got really deadly when supporting mechs, but alone they died to an equal sized force of mechs pretty much every time.

Granted most mechs don't pack the really good tank-killing weapons by default; for various hand-wavium reasons.

I honestly don't remember exactly why we cut them, this was about 25 years ago, I only remember that we did cut them because they would just dominate mechs, we were kids so we very well may have gotten the rules wrong, but vehicles being strong in this game still feeds my nostalgia!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Roguetech has made this game much more like the game that I wanted. I'm having a blast and stuff like needing 5 pieces to finish a mech is making it much more exciting when you finally do get to upgrade to a new mech. I am up to 2 Hunchbacks, a Griffon and a Trebuchet and I feel like I've come a thousand miles already!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Early game I am a big fan of SRM boats. My killer at the moment is a Griffon with 4 SRM 6++ (damage & stab) a big engine, max jump jets and a med laser. He just throws mass missiles into the enemy until he gets close enough to jump behind the biggest threat on the other team and unload 300+ damage into their rear armor. Even spread across the whole back, it's usually more than enough to at the very least strip every last bit of armor and get a couple internal crits.

I JUST got my first heavy last night, haven't had a chance to use him yet, but my current squad is:
The above mentioned Griffon
Katyushka set up as a punchbot. Chain Sword and Plasma Lance with a couple of Haywire Grenades and tons of mobility and melee improvements (claws, talons, TSM, etc)
Hunchback 4H with a Large Pulse ++ and 3 medium X ray pulse lasers
And the new addition - the Gladiator with 4 Plasma Cannons.

All of my mechs also have full JJ's with partial wings (I like jumping everywhere) and are almost heat neutral on normal heat worlds.

I really like the Roguetech mod, it's made this last game so much more interesting.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I downloaded RogueTech and I MISS like it, seems like there's MISS a lot of MISS variety in builds and mechs and MISS MISS the longer contracts are a real fun MISS idea MISS. Still, I do wish that MISS my mechs would MISS miss less often, or at least reduce the chance that TAG which seems MISS like it would MISS be easy MISS to aim misses the target

I think I played so much X-Com that it desensitized me to constant misses, but yea, positioning helps as does punching really dodgy mechs to the ground or overheating them to the point of a shutdown. Once you get some pulse lasers, they can help take out the super dodgy mechs pretty well too, as does just shooting 20-50 missiles at them.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Panfilo posted:

It's a Legendary Mech, so it's meant to be straight up better than its counterparts. Though you do make a good point that the legendaries are so good they tend to overshadow their counterparts. Erinya, Echinadae, Eris, and Jörmungandr are all in a class by themselves and a true blank slate for your arsenal. They also have the Warhammer and Marauder Chassis and both look great.

They're also a pain in the rear end to fight against though it does make it kind of feel like a boss battle. The randomness of the enemies can make those 4 and 5 skull missions absolutely insane; you have to kill some dude but he's backed up by 10+ mechs and vehicles who themselves can be in the assault weight range. Light Gauss and RAC/2 gunboats will be pelting you from across the map in 3 different directions before you can even see them ; you have to cheese things just to have parity because your opponent gets access to the same toys but will almost always outnumber you.

Recently I had to cut an assassination mission short because the enemies were too much. My melee specced Black Knight was charging toward the target and getting focus fired by hundreds of LRMs in every direction. At close range the target alpha strikes her, and she panics and ejects :shepicide:. By sheer dumb luck, they ended up overheating in the process and suffering an ammo explosion so severe it blew out their XL engine. The rest of my lance had to then limp to the evac point while under massive fire.

Legendary mechs are straight up OP for sure. My current lance is 3 Gladiators (legendary Black Knights) and a regular Black Knight. Even though it's a 4 star rated lance, they have no problem murdering any mission the game has thrown at me.

Also, people are talking about putting multiple melee weapons on each arm, how are you doing that? Whenever I try, it replaces the former melee weapon out and refuses to put more than one on. Also, I saw a picture of someone putting some on torso slots which it also won't let me do (I can see why not for chainswords but let me put a plasma lance in there!)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Mordja posted:

I mean...Steam lists 17 pieces of DLC for Cities Skylines, so they kind of did start pumping it out. Compare Battletech to how HBS handled Shadowrun where they made the first game followed by two large, standalone expansions/sequels, and for one reason or another they've changed their business model. Maybe because of Paradox's investments, maybe not, it doesn't matter because I was just making an off-the-cuff comment, not trying to disparage the game, the developer, or the publisher.

Not only that, but Paradox isn't just the Publisher for Harebrained Schemes, they actually purchased the company. Paradox literally owns them so it's not a surprise if they do decide to follow in the company footsteps of many smaller content packs instead of few large single expansions. I own almost every EUIV DLC and I look forward to spending $100's of dollars on more Battletech!

I am super stoked, who doesn't love the hatchetman!? Also, the flashpoints sound similar to the deployments in Roguetech, which also own and provide a whole new set of challenges, like the need to have spare mechs/pilots around.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

It's also very annoying that when I'm shooting something from behind without a called shot, a ton of my shots will definitely hit the legs instead of the torso, but then when I want to be able to hit the legs from behind I can't. Either make it so you can't hit legs at all from behind, or make it so I can called shot them. I just want consistency!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Testing out late-game Roguetech sandbox game:

-Even when money is no object, the availability of parts is still an issue. It is especially aggrivating when your pilot panics and ejects, which, while saving the pilot, destroys whatever equipment you had in the head at the time.

-You'll never have enough different engine ratings. On heavier mechs, there's less engine ratings that actually affect your speed (a 100 ton mech is only affected by a 100,200,300, or 400 rated engine). You can still mount an 'in between' rated engine but the problem with that is you're stuck with lower speed and wasted weight. Typically you end up with mechs that are either slow for their tonnage or have heavy engines hogging up a lot of tonnage.

-XL engine upgrade kits go through a lot of attrition and while the upgrade can save you enormous amounts of weight on an assault mech, you'll run out of them pretty fast because they get destroyed easily.

-As great as Double Heat sinks are, they take up so much space that they mainly only seem worth it on an all energy weapon mech.

-Partial Wings are great, and I realized one counts as a jump jet in itself. Partial Wing+improved JJ gives you crazy long jump distance but like other fancy equipment attrition does a number on your supplies because there aren't many enemy stock mechs that carry these and they're tied to a narrow weight range.

-If you compare the weight of a regular autocannon, an ultra variant is a steal since its only a few tons more, and a Rotary version follows the same logic. But since the regular stock weapons retain their potential +++ bonuses, it also might be worth keeping a really good one in lieu of the TurboDakka one. An AC/5 with bonus range, accuracy, and evasion pip ignore will not only weigh less than an Ultra AC/5 but retain the heat efficiency benefit of regular Autocannon, take up less space, and save weight and ammo.

-NARC, TAG, and TAGGER all stack together and if you're going to build a melee mech try to cram all 3 on it.

-Mechs built for maximum knockdown (melee, livefire training ammo,etc) should either act first or last; First because making the target unstable is one of the few ways to remove its evasion pips. Last because you want a knocked-down target to stand up before you immediately knock it down again.

-Even though it is kind of nerfed, you can still build an accurate indirect-fire LRM boat. It just takes more time to get high enough Tactics skill, an Indirect Fire TTS and Command Console, and a mech with enough tonnage and hardpoints to make the most of it. The main downside of this is that the mech becomes a real one-trick pony that will always run out of ammo too soon, overheat too much to make the most of its launchers, or suffer counterbattery fire when it gets sensor locked and focus fired by 3 enemy LRM boats.

-Hardened armor is INCREDIBLY good and totally worth the speed and weight that suffers. A melee-specc'ed 100 ton mech that has max armor this way and enough jump distance is NASTY up close and can absorb a hilarious amount of damage along the way.

-ER Small lasers have amazing range for their tonnage. Most mechs don't have the hardpoints to make the most of the utility, but legendary mechs do. The lighter, faster legendary mechs work very well as an ER small laserboat.

-Try to have 1 or 2 heat-specced loadouts in case you happen to be in Badlands/Martian/Lunar biomes. The AI is terrible with heat management and you can help it along in regions hostile to heat buildup. Conversely, use your crazy PPC and laser boats in Polar biomes.

Another thing that makes hardened armor amazing is the fact that it doubles your leg armor, making your mech able to do DFA while still having a standard amount of armor on the legs even after 2-3 of them. Also when you are fully melee specced, you are almost always guarded meaning you take 1/2 damage to your massive amounts of armor. My 10 piloting 10 guts Dekker in his melee Gladiator (unique Black Knight) is by far the most effective member of my team.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Panfilo posted:

They did change it. Now, the engine core is designated as SHS or DHS. Double Heat Sink engine cores are very rare, and cores themselves are a pain to get anyway since you need to knock out the pilot or bash the legs off; an engine kill eliminates the core as salvage. There's also Double Heat Sink Kits, which let you convert a Single Heat Sink engine to a Double Heat Sink one, but these are extremely rare too.

One thing I forgot that might make heavier engines worth it- the number of 'built in' heat sinks seems to vary based on engine rating, so a bigger engine I THINK will have better heat reduction, but I'm not certain. I know on some engines you have to put in heat sinks manually whose tonnage is already factored into the engine weight (its just more space taken up, it also means you burn through a lot more heat sinks since they get crit a lot).

The engine can have 1 heat sink in it for every 25 tons. It only comes stock with 10 max. If you have the DHS kit, they only affect those first 10. Additional heat sinks can be added to the engine fur 1 ton each, but they are just standard heat sinks (3 heat dissipation) after that initial 10. So a 300 engine with the DHS conversion can have at minimum 10 heat sinks for 60 dissipation at 19 tons of weight and a maximum of 12 heat sinks at 66 dissipation at 21 tons of weight.

So even if you want to cram in more heat sinks, you only ever want the X25, X50 or X75 engines as well. There is never a good reason that I can see to use any engine rating that isn't divisible by 25.

Edit: I'm not sure if the Light/XL/XXL engines affect the extra weight added by the additional heat sinks, but I don't think they do, I'd have to test it.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 24, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The changes to lasers helped a bit, but I still would never run them without the ability to DHS the engine, they'd need to drop the heat quite a bit more still for me to do that. 3 + damage Large Lasers still only do 150 damage for 54 heat where as 4 + damage SRM 6 will do 288 damage for 48 heat and 2 + damage AC 20s will do 240 damage for 50 heat. You can't even see enemies much beyond SRM/AC 20 range so the range advantage of lasers is negligible and not at all worth the fact that they only do at best 63% of the damage of the best missile or ballistic damage for a similar amount of heat. Not to mention the fact that lasers also don't do any stability damage.

In Roguetech however, I can build a laser toting mech that actually puts out similar damage to my ballistic and/or missile mechs thanks in large part to the engine DHS system. I still have a SRM boat that is the second most damaging mech I have, right behind punchbot 9000. Then after that I have an X LPL mech which does great damage at decent range and a 4th mech that primarily locks mechs down with 4 Plasma Cannons.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure how you're playing the game if you "don't see enemies much beyond SRM/AC20 range". The SRM's will also shotgun their damage all over the place, while the LL's will have bigger single-location damage. Add the fact that LL's are long range, have no minimum range, don't need ammo (and so can't run out, and have nothing to violently explode). Oh and extra accuracy. It's also not exactly fair to compare +rank SRMs to anything because nothing scales as ridiculously as SRMs with +ranks. + Rank gear breaks any balance concerns inherently - it's not even part of the conversation.

It ends up being 288 damage spread over the 7 locations (minus the head, since you don't usually hit it, but when you do it's a nice bonus) is 41 to every location. The 3 LLs do 50 each to 3 locations. The AC 20's are king for that obviously (and the reason that in the vanilla campaign I had both my Atlas II and my first King Crab set up with dual AC 20)

I had + gear coming out of my rear end in a top hat in the vanilla campaign. Since there isn't much reason to salvage anything else off mechs. If you want to ignore the + damage part then it's 120 damage for 54 heat compared to 192 for 48 heat on SRMs and 200 for 48 heat on dual AC 20s. So, LLs are still only 63% of other weapons at best. Again, there is no stability damage. Yes, there is no ammo to get blown up, but when you are killing your enemies almost 40% faster then that's 40% less damage your mechs are going to be taking.

If you want to use LLs, then great, use them, but you can't logically argue that they are as effective as the other weapon groups.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Two AC20s are 28-30 tons, though.

3xLL vs 4xSRM6 is a more fair comparison since they're both 15 tons, and certainly SRMs will dunk on them, but then again SRMs dunk on all other weapons - no contest.

You can't field all SRMs all the time on any chassis, though, so optimization means maxing SRMs and the rest of the space is devoted to mlas and llas by necessity. MLas vs LLas vs AC5 is the comparison you should be making, then.

The big thing with LLas is that the damage bonused ones plus a single missile hit deal 62, which is enough to decapitate mechs not in guard/cover. This makes the case for fitting your E hardpoints with good LLas if you find them (and they also have a +3 accuracy bonus, which damage bonused mlas do not).

The weight and slots definitely make them easier to field than Dual AC 20s, but you still can't take many more than 2 or 3 due to the massive heat they generate. That, again, is why I personally like engine DHS. It lets you field enough of them to make them worthwhile.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Melee helps too. You'll have a better hit chance to punch them than to shoot them a lot of the time and if you do manage to punch them, they lose their bracing and usually also lose their evasion pips as well.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Re: roguetech early game

If you are having trouble getting your hands on proper EWAR gear -- I highly recommend kitting out a mech w/ a lot of energy hard points with as many flamers as possible. Shutting enemy mechs down is super effective.

This is very true also. I started a new run over the weekend because I wanted to try it with clan tech (hoo boy is some of that clan tech stuff broken... but it's been fun so far!) and the starting mechs I got for the random start were absolutely terrible. They started me with a Vindicator, a Blackjack, a Jenner, a Firestarter and a Panther. So I just loaded up all of the lights with flamers and the Vidicator became a punchbot and I just shut down everything I could then punched it to death. It was a very tough start, but being able to take a couple mechs out of ever fight almost immediately helped a ton until I was able to get some better mechs. Now I've managed a way more fun group consisting of a Shadowhawk IIC with ATMs, SSRMs and a +++SRM 6, a Strix punchbot with two chainswords, fire breath, tag and tagger, a Royal Crab with 3 Plasma Cannons and a Blackjack variant that is 55 tons which is currently packing 2 Clan UAC 10s.

Nickiepoo posted:

Holy hell that's an ugly Atlas.

It's beautiful!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

isildur posted:

People want to theorycraft everything to death.

Pleeeeeease play the changes; we've done so much theorycrafting on this, like hours and hours and hours of it, i'm so loving sick of theorycrafting Bulwark at this point. I just want people to hammer these abilities and figure out all the brokenness we didn't catch in our (much smaller) internal playtesting.

I use she/her pronouns in all specs and design docs. It's become a reflex, and he/him pronouns look weird to me in specs now.

Glitch is the only pilot that matters, so "her" in that sentence makes perfect sense anyways.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's partly it, but there really aren't all that many 3025 BattleMechs and many of them step on one anothers' toes. It's one of the reasons why I always squint a little when people tell me 3025 is their favorite era of play: there are hardly any choices.

There are only 12 light 'Mechs in TRO 3025. We got 7 of them (it'll be 8 once they figure out the 3039 Raven, and could be 9 with the 3039 Wolfhound). Of the 'Mechs we didn't get only the Javelin is any good, and that's a light PGI did make and which could turn up later. The Wasp, Stinger, and Valkyrie are out for sure and the Ostscout is so niche the odds of it turning up are slim.

There are 19 medium 'Mechs in TRO 3025. We got 10 of them (11 with the LosTech Kintaro) and soon we'll have be 13 with the LosTech Crab and the 3039 Hatchetman. PGI has made the Assassin and Phoenix Hawk and is currently making the Vulcan so we could get those later. Of the Clint, Hermes II, Whitworth, and Dervish, the Clint would make a good cheap trash opponent. The Whitworth is a worse Trebuchet and the Dervish is a worse (or better?) Quickdraw (if you can believe that). The Scorpion we won't get because it's a quad and they've already said they're not doing quads. It's also a worse Griffin so that's no loss.

There are 14 heavy 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (8 with the LosTech Black Knight, 9 with the 3039 Cataphract). It would've been 9 but we're short the Marauder and Warhammer thanks to the lawsuit. We could still get the Archer and Rifleman since PGI has done models for all four, and the Ostroc, Ostsol, and Crusader are no big loss. The Ostroc and Ostsol would've made reasonable trash-level troopers but CGL is pretty content to let people forget the Ost-series exists and I don't blame them.

There are 10 Assault 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (9 with the LosTech Highlander and King Crab). We'll be getting the Cyclops soon, the Goliath's a quad so we won't get it, and the Charger's unlikely.

Odds of getting anything more from TRO 2750 are pretty low, since most of those are 'Mechs PGI hasn't made. Of those, only 5 of them are light 'Mechs anyway and only the Mongoose is any good.

The real "issue" in the vanilla game is forced scarcity. The Cataphract is a unicorn for timeline purposes, and when you start running into nothing but 75 tonners you'll see a dozen Orions between each Black Knight. For gameplay purposes limiting the 'Mechs that appear can lead to boredom because you're fighting the same enemies over and over, which is probably why the late game starts to feel less fun. There's probably a middle ground between making the unicorns scarce enough to feel special without making the player depressed every time they see an Orion because they've already got a bay full of them. Including more variants of the 'Mechs that have more variants (Locust, Jenner, Hunchback, Shadow Hawk, Banshee, etc) would probably help.

I think that's one of the main reasons Roguetech brought me back. There are so many more mechs and every battle is like a new puzzle, especially when you add in the clan mechs (which are very tough to fight against.) It also gives me a lot to look forward to, I can't wait until I finally get a 100 ton clan mech completely kitted out with clan tech! It'll be super OP and probably make the rest of the game super easy, but it's a nice goal to have and with the difficulty curve in Roguetech, I'm sure it will take me a long time to get there.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

How serious is the requirement to have 2 full lances of mechs before starting a deployment in RogueTech?

If you have the free repair option selected, then it isn't required at all, though you do want to have 8 pilots that you can rotate in still. If you don't have the free repair option then you may end up with a quick string of missions without time to repair if you only run one lance, but if you have enough tech points you probably won't run into much of an issue even with the paid repairs turned on.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I've been trying out RogueTech on a lark and ran into a pretty :xcom: scenario.

Setup: I've outfitted a TBT-5N, to 5 JJ's, 2 SRM6, 3ML, nearly max armor and 1 ton of ammo for the SRMs in each leg. So a mid-range brawler

Contract: Convoy Ambush - 1/2 skull. I'm rocking all mediums so feeling pretty confident

Round 1: TBT runs into a forest, with full evasion pips, with no LoS on any enemy mechs but within sensor range

Round 2: At initiative 4 a Jenner with thunderbolt missiles hits the RL which crits through armor one of the SRM ammo bins. This caused a cascading problem where it blows off the RL + RT + RA and crits the engine going down immediately

I can see why they gave mechs CASE naturally. I ended up completing the mission and got lucky with the pilot living. For a while there I was just staring at the screen processing what just happened

With the new Roguetech crit rules, where weapons can crit while you still have armor, CASE is essential (I have CASE II on all of my mechs, my LRM boat has an entire torso just full of ammo with one slot for CASE II and I refuse to add more ammo due to the fact that you can only put one CASE II on a mech for some reason)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

You can buy flamers from the store, so it's not difficult to start with a flamebot, but yes, early game is a bit of a pain. The good news is, the enemy has just as hard of a time hitting you as long as you keep moving your max distance every turn.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

2 SPOOKY posted:

Have any recommendations on that front?

Also I ran into a Jenner in my first mission that was packing more LRMs than a LRMcarrier vehicle and god drat that thing hurt.

I always do random, but if you want to start with a mech that isn't super OP (you can choose Cheat and start with an Atlas II, and the Grand Dragon starts with a +++ Gauss and PPC) I'd choose the Butcher. It's a close combat focused Vindicator that can heat up mechs at range (Plasma Cannon and flamers) and then close in to punch them down. It's a 45 ton mech so it's not TOO ridiculous in the early game, but it's still very good.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

RogueTech and balance are mutually exclusive.

It's balanced in the fact that while you get access to Clan tech, you have to pull it off of dead Clan mechs, which are absolute beasts to fight against. But once you get full assaults with full Clan tech, you are even more OP than you are at fully kitted out assault mechs in the base game, however it is MUCH more difficult to get to that point in Roguetech.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I figured if Yang said the Dragon sucks it really sucks but it's the only heavy mech I have :smith:

I've got a whole bunch of mediums. I'll swap the Dragon out for the Centurion and refit the Shadow Hawk.

The Dragon is flat out worse than any of the mediums. You actually lose free tons over the 50 tonners and only gain 1 free ton over the 55 ton mediums, while also losing an entire initiative slot, and the only thing you gain is a little armor. The hard points are very mediocre as well. The Quickdraw is in the same boat. You are better off sticking with your medium mechs until you get a Grasshopper or better heavy in my opinion, though you can actually make some decent builds out of some of the 65 ton heavies, but I still don't think they are enough better to counteract the loss of an entire initiative slot.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Phrosphor posted:

Kiva has posted a request for people to test some missions scenarios and feedback on the beta build.

Link to the thread to post comments if you have time: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/developer-diaries-1-mechwarrior-ability-revision.1116566/

(This is your chance to get some non-'pubvoice' feedback in front of the developers!)

Hmm, I'll have to uninstall Roguetech and do the first one for them, my play style never included Bulwark or bracing.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

I don't want to derail this thread any further.

Could you give me a cliff notes version or a link. I'm morbidly curious.

Well, for one, their Customer Service team doesn't work Nights or Weekends (you know... the times when 90% of the few people who DO play their game are playing...) so if you are playing during prime time and something happens to your account you are just screwed until the next day, or possibly longer. I actually found this out the hard way when I bought something, however I received the wrong item in game. I made the purchase on a Friday afternoon and they didn't even answer my ticket with a "we're out of the office until Monday, we apologize for the inconvenience" email, so I continued to submit follow up emails all weekend and finally on Monday they answered. Good thing I didn't want to play what I bought on Friday all weekend...

I'm sure you can find thousands of other stories like my own and many much worse if you search Google a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and when they DID finally email me on the following Monday, they had 0 empathy for the inconvenience caused by them not being open Friday evening and all weekend and were pretty much "we don't fix stuff like this, but we'll make an exception this time, don't ask again though" I was so annoyed by their poor customer service, I told them not to bother fixing it, I'd keep the wrong item and they'd never see another dime from me. They said "cool man, enjoy" and I have never given them another dollar since.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 14, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Hremsfeld posted:

How legit is the all-in-one installer? I want to try Battletech, but I'm a bit wary of running random .exe files off the internet.

For that matter, is there a way to install it that doesn't involve the .exe?

I've used it every time I've updated Roguetech and never had a problem with it so far.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

isildur posted:

It's what I wanted to make, at least. We're still a ways off from the full sim experience I'd envisioned, but little by little it's getting there.

I, for one, can't wait until you guys get there! That is the game of my dreams!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

If I see something with an AC 20 or with 3+ big SRM launchers, then it must die asap. Other than that, just look for whatever target presents itself to be focused down.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I don't understand, you guys don't run lights all the time like I do?

I typically have my House Steiner lance set up as following:

Altas - Brawler
Atlas - Brawler
King Crab - Fire support
Highlander - Light mech/scout

I don't see a need to tweak anything to play lights...

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Thanks for the heads up on the season pass! I think it is a wise purchase, as this game will only get better and better as long as Isildur is on board!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's an equation.

Heat Generated by Firing Everything = A
How much heat your 'Mech dissipates = D

They're suggesting you shoot for:

(A - D) ≈ 15

So you generate too much heat to alpha strike forever (heat neutrality means you're probably under-gunned) but won't generate so much heat that a hot map will push you straight into shutdown.

I tend to build heat neutral myself if I can because of how many hot maps there are in the game.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

ulmont posted:

I tend to build massively hot but then charge into melee. If you need to, you can not fire some weapons while you cool down, but you can't do an overwhelming alpha strike unless you have the weapons on the mech.

Yea, but if you learn to leverage a heat neutral lance correctly, then you can use the exact same tactics no matter what biome you are on. Later in the game, you can set up two lances and have one over-clocked for normal heat worlds and one heat neutral for hot worlds, but early on I prefer the one heat neutral lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

When you build for 12~15 it means that on a hot biome you get 4 turns of sustained fire instead of the 5 you'd get on a neutral climate - the exact same tactics loop applies: once you're about to hit the red line you either shut off a single medium laser to continue firing at slightly reduced effectiveness, or take a turn to melee/guard and drop the heat back down then resume full firepower shooting.

Either approach is objectively (mathematically provable!) better than building heat neutral, since heat is a resource that translates directly to tonnage, so any heat neutral mech is straight up 4~5 tons underweight.

Even LRM boats should generate some heat, since delivering more damage during the first 5~6 turns of combat is more valuable than continuous-but-reduced firepower throughout their entire ammo stock. Generally speaking, you'll also run out of targets after 4 or 5 turns, so you can cool off in the break between engagements.

I will admit I do run LRM boats a bit hot and when I had a Grasshopper I it also was built hot, but since it was a hit and run mech it didn't matter. I prefer to brawl however and choose consistent sustained fire instead of having to shut off weapons later in the fight (though I still have to on hotter biomes) I'm not saying my way is better than min/maxing heat gain like you do, I'm just saying that I've never lost a mech to anything other than a random headshot in this game, so there's really no need to min/max and I like to be lazy whenever I can.