Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

The Amaris Civil War would be another good one. Start off as some rookie Mechwarrior that gets caught in one of the opening assaults that barely survives, you can start the campaign with small guerilla actions while your unit is trying to regroup and break out to the main SLDF forces and then move on to the big set piece battles once you hook up with them, then you have the final mission with you personally stomping the palace gates with Kerensky himself. :black101:

Hell you could throw in a final boss fight with a Matar or whatever bonkers Wunderwaffe Mech you could think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I think after I finish this career mode and reinstall BEX with the latest version, I am going to ignore the extra command/extra lance module, because the enemy gets way too many bonus lances in this mod even when I'm not exceeding the skullcap recommendation for each mission.

Fighting 16 lances with a single lance is just not fun.

There's a handy option in Mission Control's settings that's off by default that however many support lances the enemy gets you'll have an ally one to match without having to worry about if you'll get one randomly or not. Just look for MatchAllyLanceCountToEnemy and switch it to true. Usually like having that on until I get a demi-lance going, at least for BEX. BTA I never bother since you have a bunch of vehicles to run interference from the get go.

Note this doesn't watch for the usual reinforcements that show up, just for the extra units MC injects into a mission when its on.

Warad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 18, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I mean to be fair to Kerensky, the Star League was a hosed up institution from day 1 and the Great Houses were too dug into their traditions to have an epiphany over it after Amaris gets capped. He was too old and far from the right man for the job to even hope being able to fix poo poo. A really kickass general, but that's all, a general. He wasn't going to pull off some Frederick the Great master-politicking to stop the Great Houses from nuking each other. Sure he could have stuck it out and thrown his weight behind someone who had the chops to keep things together, but no one was volunteering, and the few compromises he offered just got the House Lords to laugh in his face.

so something something, the only winning move is not to play, game was rigged from the start, etc, gently caress it I'm leaving.

Psycho Landlord posted:

the great thing about battletech is you don't have to be fair to anybody

And that's how you get Tukayyids.

Warad fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Insert name here posted:

The Battletech universe is basically a forever rotating succession of the "you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"" dril tweet.

Hell there's some questionable decisions in the background of the vanilla campaign that can make you side-eye Kamea sometimes.

Honestly that's why the sane thing to do is just getting into the Merc mindset of "The good guys are the ones who are paying my bills this year."

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Another neat thing about rival mercs is you can farm Wolf's Dragoons for Marauder IIs and Annhilators. :black101:

Hopefully mods start expanding the system after a while, more merc companies, (seeing Snord's show up as a good source for Royal Mechs as one example) maybe expanding the feature to certain house units and maybe even letting Comstar show up to ruin everyone's day every once in a while.

Warad fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 16, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah the only real issue with WarFX is that it can have quite a performance hit, especially in the more foresty biomes, since there can be a LOT of persistent fires from all the shooting.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Though speaking of, another good mod to pretty up the fighting is Prime8's Distinct WeaponFX. Pretties up all the weapon effects and makes the lasers more like they are in HBS Battletech where they're full on scifi lasers instead of the grainy "realistic" beams that stock MW5 does to them. Even works with weapon mods so Clanner weapons and the like have their own unique effects and colors as well where they're supposed to.

And like WarFX, it hasn't been updated in ages but still works.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

SirPhoebos posted:

(the one thing I won't touch are duel missions, it may be my bad luck but I swear they're cursed.)

Duel missions are exactly why you should have two good Firestarters sitting in the bay at all times.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

OR, you could go full masochistic and download Scary Tanks (made by the same dev who makes YAML) which just throws out vehicle HP entirely and gives them a basic armor/structure system like a Mech, and puts in a bunch of new variants for vehicles already in the game and a fair amount of brand new tanks.

It's cute when you get to actually see a Savannah Master speed around, but then an Igor armed with Gauss rifles shows up or vehicles armed with Clan weapons when in the real late-game if you have the appropriate mods.

Funnily enough I kinda find it more balanced than the straight up HP bonus that stock YAML does. Probably because most vehicles have either a weakspot in either the chassis or turret armor and stuff isn't artificially boosted and everything more or less is at its TT levels of survivability. Though like YAML, there is a Mod Option feature where you can tweak the HP/Armor values to be a lot more forgiving, especially when the aforementioned Coyote swarms show up.

I do wish they could find out a way to give them MercTechs system so vehicles could have different armor thickness on their sides/rear and critical damage effects though, which would go a long way to make things more "fair."

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

There's a reason why in BTA when you happen to get Darius as an actual mechwarrior he's 1 in every stat. :v:

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

BTA did get a pretty significant performance update recently which made things a lot better, but yeah, it still hitches a bit though, especially when the units get piled on.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Personally after playing both of them I really tend to like BEX more. I just always end up missing the little touches BEX adds to game immersion wise. Having to pay your drop bills, having to keep a big roster of pilots due to the fatigue system. Seeing all the major house and merc units moving around and each faction having their own unit tables so they feel more distinct from each other just a bit more. Having to hunt down Comstar/Blakists as your only reliable way to get the real fancy stuff (and later the Clans.) Hell, the Blakists and Clanners just feel like another generic opponent in BTA while in Extended you really get that "oh poo poo" feeling when they show up, and honestly, while it is nice, I could do without all the playable vehicles/BA. It's not bad though, since you can easily switch between them since BEX does technically "end" timeline wise where Advanced starts so they're technically not overriding each other but It does make me wish there was a sort of combination of BTAs gameplay tweaks to BEX's more focused scope of things.

Warad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Kanos posted:

BTA has drop bills and you need a fairly deep roster because by the time you finish the Argo you're dropping 16 units; you need some slack pilots/units if someone eats a headshot or if you're on a city map and you can't bring your artillery. They also very recently added mercenary subfactions that work for each faction and can show up and replace generic enemies from that faction randomly as a more challenging variant of the faction.

Comstar and the Clans are an enormous leg up in difficulty from normal factions - Comstar/WoB because they drop in units of 6 instead of 4(so you'll be fighting 50% more dudes on every mission involving them) and since they use star league goodies they tend to never have total junk on the field, and the clans because of clantech, dropping in units of 5, and being the only faction to use BA(which is horrifically, terrifyingly dangerous if you ever let it get anywhere near you).

I've noticed ammo costs sure but straight up tonnage costs for your lance/miscellaneous vehicles I have not, unless that's an option I've missed somewhere, and yeah I get that no fatigue system (and probably drop costs as well) is a compromise for the stupidly large amount of units you can drop now but ehh, an option for it would still be nice though for those who'd want (to deal with) it.

As for the Comstar/Clan Difficulty, I guess a lot of things just seem a whole lot easier and blend together when you can roll up a pair of SRM carriers or Arrow IV throwers and just delete things. :v:

Warad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 28, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Oh it can't be that bad...

quote:

1x Patchwork Materials T2 [2]
1x ER M Laser Magna [1]

1x FCS Ballistic Improved [1]
1x Sensors Tracker [1]
1x Solaris Cage (2) [1]

1x Weapon Mount Heat [1]
1x Rotary AC20 (C) [10]

1x Heavy Ferro-Fibrous (C) [1]
1x Engine XL [2]
1x Engine Core 200 [1]
1x Gyro XL [4]
1x Heat Sink Kit (Prototype) [1]
1x Endo-Steel (C) (2) [1]

Oh.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I remember Battletech Revised being a good "light" overhaul but it hasn't been updated in a long time so I have no idea if it still holds up. There's also XAI, which I heard is also good and is sort of the same mindset as BR but I've never tried it.

Really the only Vanilla overhaul I can think of is Hyades Rim which is a full on story replacement with a bunch of new weapons and mech types (with an option to put in CAB mechs as well) but I hear a lot of the missions can be pretty gimmicky and grossly unfair, plus you're stuck with the base Leopard through most of the thing and it loves spamming consecutive deployments, and the new story is "ehhhhh" from what I've seen but it can be worth checking out.

Warad fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only staple people seem to love that doesn't really work is the TTrulez AI bullshit but that mod never worked as well as people claimed in the first place and should be ignored imo

The base AI tweaks are great, but the whole formations addon that he made for it, yeah doesn't really fit the game all that well, so I usually just played it for the AI improvements and the role behaviors and ignored the lancemate addon entirely.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Kanos posted:

"Fully modeled" in BTA is broadly but not 100% true. They're not above using proxies for things that are deliberately intended to look similar in-universe, like using the Timber Wolf model for the Rakshasa(which is the Inner Sphere's knockoff "we have a mad cat at home" reproduction of the Timber Wolf). Bloodydoves will generally refuse to add anything that doesn't have a bespoke model or something that looks extremely close, though.

BEX is the same way, when it comes to models but pretty much every mod relies on the Community Asset Bundle (CAB) for the models with some few exceptions, so if that doesn't have it, usually none of them will.

Mordja posted:

E: Oh yeah and how's the Hyades Rim mod as a new campaign, balance wise?

I mentioned it before but Hyades Rim can have some really gimmicky missions (like a whole 1v8 slog) and it really, really likes giving you consecutive mission and/or tonnage limits when all you have is the Leopard and so, only 6 mechs at a time which can be a real pain if you're used to always having the Argo, (though you do get it eventually near the end) and there's a fair bit of faction bloat so it's really hard to get high rep to farm high skull missions but if that doesn't bother you, the missions are fairly alright and usually match the quality of HBS' missions though the writing can be a bit offputting but English isn't the Dev's first language from what I've heard, there's a ton of new mech variants (with an option to add in certain CAB models as well) new weapon and mech upgrades, contract types, events, etc. Like I said, it's worth checking out at least.

E: that said there can be some ridiculous variants you can run into and abuse once you get them, so the difficulty can vary if you're used to min-maxing builds in vanilla and other mods.

Warad fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 4, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

House Davion's parade livery is a blue-white-red-white-blue pattern. It's closer to the French flag than anything American.

The Davion Guard units specifically :eng101:

As for the rest of the MW5 schemes, Marik is sort of based off a mix of Andurien units (I think), Liao is based off of House Dai Da Chi's, and the Steiner scheme is a cross of the Royal and Lyran Guard's.

The only odd one out is the Kuritan one but I guess Piranha wanted to jazz things up for them with some white and green instead of using just plain red on everything. :v:

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I mean pirate kingdoms like the Tortuga Dominions have cities.

Not "good" cities mind you, but still.

Private Speech posted:

You know how Battletech has the "local government"? It's that.

Spoken like a true Dragon. :v:

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Actually BTA doesn't actually have drop weight influence on bonus lances from Mission Control unless you've tweaked it yourself, just the individual chances based on the skull level. (like a half skull to two being maybe one can show up, while 4-5 skulls are when you get the 3 lance shitfests.)

BEX does have that drop weight option on though, but that keeps any reinforcements to just one lance only unless you're allied against that particular faction, then it might be kicked up to two.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

BEX: Simple but more immersive. Vanilla gameplay but the everything else is more geared to making you "FEEL" like you're a poor Merc trying to make a living during 3025 up to the Clan Invasion. No major overhauls for your Mechs, fancy LosTech and Mechs very few and far between, factions and mercenaries stick to where they actually were in the sourcebooks, and more focus on handling your company in comparison to the other two depending on your difficulty settings. But honestly the most smoothest experience out of all of them overall.

BTA: Not as simple and can get a bit wacky with some of the content that's not even the even wackier optional community content, but even the more outlandish things fits the overall free-for-all madhouse of the Civil War era anyway I think. If you want to worry less about paying the bills and more about literally nuking Clanners with Arrow IVs and turning a Lumberjack IndustrialMech into a murderbot that can chainsaw the heart out of an Atlas, then it might be the most "fun" mod for you

RT: If you want to see the poor unity engine meltdown the moment you turn the game on from the sheer amount of stuff packed into it. The most loyal to the TT experience so if you want the absolute purist way to play with literally anything you can think of to play with there, then RT's your thing.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is absolutely untrue.

If you only count everything "strictly" gameplay related that's working under the hood it actually is, at least a little bit further than BTA does.

But yeah once you pile the literally EVERYTHING else RT does, it gets lost in the mess really easily, true.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Malek Deneith posted:

Agree with most of the descriptions but this particular bit runs exactly opposite of my experience. Near as I can remember my attempt at playing BEX stabilised financially shockingly fast, meanwhile BTA had me living on the edge of bankruptcy for extended time. Even now that I'm more stable I fond myself ping-ponging "I saved 5-6 mil, maybe I'll get that last mech drop slot upgrade finally" and "welp, blew it all on uncommon parts at store, now how to scrounge up 2.3 mil to refit my new Marauder."

And that's ignoring I rolled back latest patch after seeing it'd add ~200k to Argo's monthly upkeep. I know that's more realistic but it feels like it'll make early game hell.

Oh, well I knew the patch last week messed around with the economy a bit but I didn't think that much, I only remember BTA getting a bit rough near the end when you have all your extra bays and drop capabilities unlocked, as for BTA, I suppose it only really gets tough if you're dealing on Sim difficulty and trying to handle drop costs and etc, (and with extended lances on top of it so trying to squeeze a profit out of a mission trying to pay for a heavy 8 mech drop is where most my experience comes from.)

E: But really, any mod's economy is based solely on what your mech parts required for assembly setting is set on, because it's really easy to make everything trivial when you can spit out a Phoenix Hawk to sell every other mission.

Warad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 15, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah the Nightstar was dumb.

Should have been a Timber Wolf.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Third World Reagan posted:

To fix a statement

if anyone is a fan of any faction in battle tech, you should side eye them

Hey I just want people to pay their phone bills and Praise Blake keep the legacy of the Star League alive, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :colbert:

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

BTA especially encourages you to drop everything you have into an Op, since you can drop 6 Mechs/Vehicles with a few BA as extra straight from the start without having to resort to upgrades like in BEX.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah if I remember correctly in YAW, artillery is more useful when splashing into weak spots (so landing the shell behind or under something can do a ton more damage than slamming a direct hit depending on the Mech.) Honestly they're more like support weapons to quickly open up a breach so your other weapons or someone else can take advantage of it. Arrow IVs are way better at just deleting something

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Hey, give them some benefit of the doubt, they might have thought it was a Jenner!

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Private Speech posted:

YAML (well one of its dependent mods) is the one that adds the clan invasion.

There are two more mods that add it as well, MercTech (which is kinda garbage and not actually anything to do with RogueTech; if anything YAML includes a bunch of stuff from RogueTech in the "Yet Another Equipment Collection" plugin per the readme) and some standalone clan invasion thing.

To be specific, Yet Another Clan Mech is the official YAML one, but the Mech roster for that does have a few notable Mechs MIA; it's a more curated mod so Mechs like the OG Mad Cat, Summoner, etc. aren't in quite yet because there's no good enough models of the PGI designs yet, either custom made or ported from MWO or work hasn't been finished to give them a varied enough list of variants, or getting all the weapons to show up properly on the model thanks to Omni slots and what not.

You can use the classic models mods for those to fill in if you want (either because you prefer them or don't mind them "clashing" with the PGI designs), the all together pack for those even has an option for YAML compatibility and keeping Clan mechs exclusive to the Clans, but keep in mind you'll often only get the one model of each, so you'll be stuck with their Prime configurations.

The standalone Clan Invasion needs YAML as well but it's more of a separate community anything goes compilation where they're trying to put in literally every Mech in the game. It's neat to have playable Mackies and even have the HBS Bull Shark show up, but the model quality can vary pretty wildly so it can be really hit-or-miss. Personally I just do the YACM/Classic combo because not having a Mad Cat just doesn't feel right.

As for MercTech, it's more of a "Hardcore" Realism/TT mod that overhauls the game in its entirety, but I never personally used it and it hasn't been updated in a year since the Call to Arms DLC came out, though they've been working on it and the next release is supposed to be a pretty big one from what I've read.

Warad fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 20, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Well you are supposedly going to be palling around with Theodore and the 5th Amphigeans (who are totally NOT mercenaries) so that's probably the excuse PGI is rolling with so they can actually have a Drac focused DLC in their Merc game. (and I wouldn't be surprised there's a mission where some ultra-loyal Kuritan unit causes a fuss about it)

But who cares; Longbow's coming :woop:

Warad fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 26, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Floppychop posted:

I'm glad someone's excited about the Longbow. I've always hated that dumb thing.

I know it's just a bad Catapult but I can't help but love the dumb looking thing.

Literally an 8-year old's drawing of "Big Robot that Shoots Missiles."

Edit:

biosterous posted:

could be worse, could be a yeoman

though i'll admit that the yeoman is way more radical in that regard

Warad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah there's no harm running through the campaign with BEX for your first time since it does very little in changing the gameplay overall except some QOL changes and some balance tweaks to weapons, equipment, the black market, and pilot skills. Though you may want to stick to the normal or hard difficulties in that, since "Simulation" and "Sim+" throws in a few extras that you might not be ready for.

https://battletech-extended-3025.fandom.com/wiki/Getting_Started

Definitely save the big ones like Advanced or Roguetech when you're pretty familiar though.

Warad fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 28, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Speaking of MW5, there's been a major leak on its future today with a PCGamer cover story of the next DLC

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/16iuo7p/somene_call_a_plumber_cuz_we_got_a_big_leak/

It's Clans

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah the article describes it as them basically doing MW2 (but backwards), what with both a Clanner and Merc specific "game" that were technically the same game but were obviously wildly different experiences to the point they stand out from one another.

I'd still expect an update for Mercs to come out with Clans though. Porting over the Mechs, equipment, etc, and being able to fight them at the "end" of a career, maybe a small campaign introducing them like how MW2 did.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Mods do a lot of heavy lifting for MW5 but it is hard to see it as anything but a sideshow for BT for when you just want to blow stuff up personally for a bit (or translate wacky builds from one another as previously mentioned)

The DLC campaigns have been way better overall though, still have Dragon's Gambit in a few weeks, but both Kestrel Lancers and the Rasalhague DLCs were pretty enjoyable, and focusing on that straight from the get-go for Clans gives me at least some optimism.

Warad fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 16, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I think COILs were HBS' attempt to try to make Light mechs more useful by making a weapon entirely dependent on how much evasion you could get but when you have speedy mediums like the Jenner or Assassin, there wasn't much point for even that sadly.

ro5s posted:

They can actually survive since evasion doesn't decay every time you get shot at. Combined with the ability to sprint and shoot (at an accuracy penalty) light units can be ludicrously hard to hit, zooming around while giving line of sight for longer ranged heavier firepower or getting behind bigger mechs to blast through the rear armour.

There's also the fact that with a fully unlocked mechbay you can use them for a wide variety of builds so you're not just stuck with the gimmick shutdown spamming Firestarter once you have a good heavy/assault lance built up. Stuff like stealth plated speeders that can evasion tank safely thanks to having 9 or more pips, Clanner heavy laser carriers that can backstab or kneecap an assault with a single called shot, the ability to slap XL engines or ferro-fibrous on everything so you can have a lot more survivability, like there is a ridiculous amount of things you can do with them.

Plus with the expanded lance size right from the start you never have the main issue that comes up with vanilla BT where you constantly go "why waste one of my four slots on a light when my Steiner Scout Lance is right there?"

BEX sort of has this as well, you don't have the open mechbay but if you have Sim difficulty and expanded lances on means you kinda gravitate more towards lights as well since they don't cost nearly as much to drop tonnage wise and, again, you have more room to use them without wasting a drop slot and it has a lighter version of BTA's evasion tweaks, where there's a base chance to keep your evasion after a miss, while ace pilots or certain mechs with the right quirks have a much higher chance.

Warad fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 7, 2024

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Klyith posted:

lol Jenner so good it gets promoted to honorary medium

Both it and the Panther, so sayeth the Dragon :colbert:

I mean hell, if the Cicada can be technically classed as medium...

Warad fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 7, 2024

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

It never gets old when some RAC or UAC deathmobile rolls up in a martian biome, alpha strikes, then immediately blows up.

Unless it doesn't have CASE then you suffer as well seeing that nice free salvage turn into one part.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Clanners must have really wanted you dead :v:

Out of all the mods though BEX is really the only one that does a good job of keeping the rare mechs, well, rare. (thanks to using these https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Faction_Assignment_%26_Rarity_Tables and keeping stuff like royal variants and such exclusively to Comstar who only rarely show up in certain missions and the really good house mechs to more difficult missions targeting specific elite units, though said elite units can show up as the OPFOR in any mission if you're unlucky enough to be close to a planet they're garrisoning at the time.)

That said, the latest BTA version did a small tweak making Grasshoppers spawn less, so maybe they're starting to tone down the insanity there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Can't say I've ever had a problem with it, now starting a new career in a 3025 start, yes, since that's a "hope you like bugs, Griffins and Phoenix Hawks" purgatory, but any start post-helm or when the Clans have shown up everyone has a decent enough variety going by that point.