Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Give up your mechs, our turrets have you targeted. :smug: "

camera slowly pans down to the turret control system next to my Shadowhawk's right foot

My locust got cored from the turrets after he whiffed the shot.

Serves the bastard right.

He missed a building sized stationary target.

I prefer to think the 90 days in the medbay for was the massive rear end kicking he got after, not from injuries in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

actually, can someone :goonsay: the called shot targeting percentage interface to me? that was one thing i used a couple times yesterday that i had no idea what i was actually accomplishing

how did you end up with a locust in your 3 years later mission? or is it random whether you get the spider or the locust?

Was it the Spider then?

I can't remember which light mech it was. Just that he wiffed two laser shots on the building then got put down.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

How long can I put off Priority missions for?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'll just do this 1 Skull Mission for some quick cash.

8 Enemy Mechs
4 Vehicles

100k Payout.

What is the point of a difficulty rating if the game ignores it?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

The "wait times" aren't arbitrary, they are to give a cost to getting your pilots banged up, 94 days means you let someone take a shitload of hits or your guy ate a fatal blow. You aren't required to wait for all of your pilots to get out of the medbay, you're actually expected to have some extras so you can sub in.

No, they're dumb and arbitrary.

You can play a perfect game and it doesn't matter if it RNGs up a cockpit hit or three.

They are also completely irrelevant for enemy mechs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is anyone finding a way to use Large Lasers?

It seems like they generate way too much heat to be effective.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Good idea, and didn't know that.

Also: loving SRM Carriers. I want to build a mech that emulates that sheer destructive angry little fucker.

It is hilarious that even in the Battletech universe tanks are just more efficient and practical.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Someone talk me out of creating a 6 Flamer Firestarter.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Worth noting that there were 2 different levels of brokenness:

1. You got double heat sinks for free in your engine, which so far does not happen HBS-Battletech, so that's one massive balance issue fixed already

2. Clan tech was literally just better than IS tech (like you have the exact same thing but the clan version is lighter or does more damage or whatever). This is going to be a trickier one to balance; the scarcity approach doesn't work forever because salvage.

Also from the AMA they're looking at energy weapon balance so hooray (I predict that LLs will still not be good but they might be less mech-destroyingly awful). I hope they do a pass on LRM stability damage too, they could make the clustering a bit tighter in exchange to make LRMs a bit better at hole punching but right now scoring knockdowns with LRMs is so drat easy it's not even fun.

The biggest problem with missiles in single player is that it is just RNG gently caress you to pilots.

There needs to be a damage threshold for injuring the pilot.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

They really need to deal with the difficulty spikes.

Having to fight through a 3 Heavy and 1 Light Lance to kill the Heavy behind them in 8 turns seems a bit asinine for a 1.5 skull mission.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

beefart posted:

Just liberated Panzyr with a clutch performance by Dekker, who bee-lined his way in a Jenner behind the dropships to the air traffic control building while the other three duked it out with the guards.

First mission post Panzyr, I’m on a mission to take out a “scouting lance” with Dekker in a shiny new Commando with a SRM4++ and SRM6++ and while trying to around to surprise a Shadowhawk, he runs into another whole loving lance with a Griffin and 2 more Shadowhawks that promptly ice him in the next phase. I finished the contract (barely) but I guess that’s one of those situations where I should have just given House Liao the middle finger and jetted off when that second lance showed up.

RIP Dekker, you deserved better :smith:

My decker ate an AC10 to the dome in a Panther. RIP.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The draw of the AC/2 is basically range; it's got Gauss Rifle reach (though obviously it's objectively worse than the sweet baby Gauss in every other way). Being able to reach out and poke at something from halfway across the map isn't a bad thing.

That doesn't make it good, but it does have its place.

The problem with the AC2 is that LRMs do the exact same thing, for less tonnage, more damage and with indirect fire.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Another bit of support for the mantra of "always always always go for three salvage picks if you can afford it":

Turned out the spy I was hunting was carting around in a fancy Awesome, which is now my fancy awesome and also my first assault mech. Also during that mission I've really learned to appreciate kinetic weapons. During that mission I've been using an energy-heavy lance, and it was pretty drat frustrating to watch the guy go to unsteady over and over again from punches and DFAs, but have nothing available to actually knock him over for good.

Real men stay at one and let RNJesus take the wheel.

I restarted to respec some pilots. That was the first mission after the Argo mission. It is week 10 and I have an assault mech.

Speaking of which, how the hell to you fit a Black Knight?

Xae fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 2, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

They could balance this by making enemy tactician pilots less common.

Evasion will be garbage as long as most fights are 4v8.

Lancer Lance or Bust.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can the Dragon be redeemed in any way?

Put an AC20 on it and use it to poo poo on lights and mediums.

It also seems to have a high evasion cap.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

So I don't really get the LRM love. SRMs do twice as much damage per ton, spread it less, and work at the ranges fights actually happen in. If you're indirect firing you're using two turns to do half damage to a guarding enemy at lower accuracy. That's not even getting into LRMs needing more ammo or dedicated LRM boats not being in the fight sharing their armor.

What am I missing?

With upgrades there is almost no penalty to indirect fire.

So you can take a mech, strip off all the armor, put a stupid amount of LRMs tubes on it and hide it behind a rock.

Then get the ++(?) version with +stability 2 damage.

You're now knocking over an assault every turn it fires.

Xae fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 3, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sensor lock should be both an active and a passive skill.

If you sensor lock(active) it reveals the target and strips two levels of evasion.

If you fire at a revealed target with and you have sensor lock it stips one level of evasion before you fire.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This reinforcements poo poo so you have to fight double to triple your lance weight at the same time is stupid as gently caress and the game is getting unplayable.

Is there a mod that fixes it yet?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ulmont posted:

I've been adopting an AC20 and then melee approach for everything other than my black knight...the black knight is all medium and small lasers (it out discos the hunchback).

Medium Lasers++ with +10 Damage are hilariously broken on the hunchback.

180 Damage/round forever? Don't mind if I do.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dramicus posted:

It's kinda how IRL composite armor means modern tanks weigh the same or less than ww2 tanks, but are physically much larger, faster, better protected, and with more firepower.

Modern tanks weigh as a much as a Stalker. An Abrams clocks in at 80-85tons.

Its better to just not think about Battletech and "realism".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is there a way to move mechs between bays? I'm trying to organize them by lance.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

aparmenideanmonad posted:

R and L torsos, arms, and head have no impact on mech piece salvage (you get 3 pieces). Destroying one leg has no effect (you get 3). Destroying both legs means you get 2. Destroying CT leaves you with 1.

No idea if/how limb destruction affects component salvage from those limbs.

There does appear to be some randomness to it.

I domed a Cataphract with an AC20 and only got 2/3 salvage.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

I love when the events are completely in character with how I imagine crew is like.

My Behemoth bugged out. She has been at 0 days of Low Spirits since that event. It was almost 2 years ago.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Major Tactics is probably the best ability in the game and by a huge margin. Not only is it better as you level, because called shot mastery is the single biggest increase in your ability to core you can get from any source, but once you start trucking around with 4x Heavies or Assault, being able to shed stability damage without using an action is huge. If I was redoing my run, I'd have Master Tactician on all my pilots, and Minor Gunnery on LRM pilots and Bulwark on frontliners. As you hit mid to late game, relying on evasion for damage mitigation is silly. And Bulwark has the advantage of protecting you against having your head shot out by a lucky AC20 hit. And this doesn't even get into how huge +1 initiative is at all weights.

Major tactics is an OK skill.

But being able bypassing Bulwark and other DR status effects is huge.

You worry a lot less about stability when you just popp'ed off an AC20s into two different targets, by passing their 50% DR and killing them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Just take lights as is, and challenge yourself. Maybe try something that isn't LRM, KD, and Core :iiam:

Large lasers only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Maybe give mediums and lights evasion resist and higher evasion caps.

Possibly a skill that would spread damage over their armor to avoid one shots.