Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So how are Italian planes overall? This is probably just confirmation bias from me being terrible at the game, but I feel like those drat G55Ss outperform everything they fight in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Doesn't the 190's climbrate improve dramatically after 3km or so? Also, I always have to think of this wikipedia quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190 posted:

In the opinion of German pilots who flew both the Bf 109 and the Fw 190, the latter provided increased firepower and, at low to medium altitude, manoeuvrability.
Still not sure how that can possibly be true.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Thief posted:

spitfires are just like blatantly the best dogfighters of the war

Are you sure that's not Zeroes?

But yeah flying Britain and getting Military exercise so you suddenly have to fly against that premium LF Mk. 9 is hell :gonk:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Are the F-84s the most undertiered planes in the game?
Every drat game they jump on you before you even pass your own base and then bounce on you endlessly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Solumin posted:

Alright fine I admit it, planes are fun.
I don't know why British planes clicked when American and Russian ones didn't, but I've almost unlocked my first spitfire already. I'm going to ignore the whole bomber side of the tree for now though.

But British tanks are actually getting pretty fun now. The Achilles is a strong little thing, and I have some hope that the Churchill mk III will be worth using for a bit.

Spitfires are the best planes, you should never fly anything else in the British tree.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How do F84s do if they get uptiered? I've only ever been on the sealclubbed side and from here they certainly look insanely powerful.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Thief posted:

in a duel situation an f84 will get clowned by like 99% of the other jets in this game

I'm assuming "duel" here means "the f84 pilot was too stupid to just run away, regain altitude, and BnZ again"?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Thief posted:

unless it's been changed in the past couple months, the f84 is so loving slow and clunky that it isn't going to be able to disengage and climb over any enemy jets they are actively engaged with someone else

to get the most fun out of it you should just take it into tanks mode and use it as an attacker against ground vehicles

Are we talking about the same F84? The one that no other jet at its tier can catch? The one that engages you while you're not even over your own friendly bases yet?
E: They do get an airspawn so they don't have to build up speed for 20 minutes, in case you didn't know that yet.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 29, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Recoome posted:

My friends, my essentially stock F-84G is the fastest thing at 7.3

It's so fun to get dived on by by F84Bs all day and then see those guys complain about how the G is totally OP pls nerf.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

90 minutes of M46 Tiger test drive later my conclusion of BR7.0 tanks as of 1.69 is that tanks are the same in every tier, but the higher you go queues and ammo costs get worse and you get better armour against CAS spam. 400 warbonds I could have gotten a garbage booster for.

The M46 Tiger specifically is bad now because its ammo got nerfed to poo poo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

That would explain the SKEETFS performance, it was like driving a very very large M22 uptiered to tickle the big German kitties, all excuse me didn't I just throw a spear of molten metal through your tank?
:gaijin:

The APHE is also bad for some reason. I don't know what they changed but post pen damage is limited to a tiny area right next to the pen point.
You usually can't even kill the pz 4 in the test drive range in one shot. And ammo shots with HEATFS don't blow up enemies somehow.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mazz posted:

How recently are you talking? Like 2/3s of the BR 4/5 tanks fire the 90mm M82, and while I haven't played in about a month I put literally hundreds of games in those tanks after the patch the M46 got HEATFS, which was like less than 3 months ago.

Very recently, in the last 4 or 3 weeks I think. Definitely after the M46 spam from them adding HEATFS died down.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Against the pz4 you might be overpenning.

I am definitely not. I did some test driving again and it is possible to take out a tank's ammo but only if you shoot exactly for it, kind of like APDS with worse shrapnel. These tests also made me realize I forgot to turn VSync on and it's killing my graphics card, so that is good. I'm too lazy to make a recording so here we go with lovely pictures:

Pz 2 HEATFS sideshot into the middle of the hull

Pz 4 HEATFS sideshot into the middle of the hull

Pz 4 HEATFS sideshot into the middle of the turret after that first hull shot

Pz 2 APHE sideshot into the middle of the hull (this has to be the most ridiculous thing I've seen in this game)

Pz 4 APHE sideshot into the middle of the hull (seriously look at that tiny area of effect)

Bonus: Panther D HEATFS sideshot into the middle of the turret

I know no one else cares nearly as much about this as I do but goddamn it pisses me off. I've shot IS-6 turrets slightly too far in the back and only gotten the commander.
E: Also since the same update that started making this happen, I've noticed that definite critical hits are only called "hit" sometimes for some reason, Anyone else had that?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 31, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I'm like 90% certain the APHE on the pz2 and pz4 overpenned. That's why it only produces a small cone, you only get shrapnel from the penetration like a solid shot would give.

But then I'd see the shell flying out the other side though. Also HEATFS is still poo poo which is my main point anyway :colbert:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

P-51H should bring some players back, if the statcard corresponds to how it actually plays and is a Spacefire Mk.24 beater with seven minutes of WEP at 5.7.
Only to drive away even more axis players..

Yeah I can't wait for people to start spamming out P51s so you can't find a game when queueing as American anymore. Also can't wait for all the German players to quit now that all Americans will always be above them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

I don't know who was going on about M82 being bad, it's still superb and will KO nearly everything in one shot. Maybe they've been confused about what was loaded at the time?

Is M82 the HEATFS round? I mean, I'll take the overpenning on low tier tanks argument but that doesn't really change the fact that the area of its shrapnel is tiny for anything I shoot at in my tier :shrug: It's also the M46 not the M36 in case that makes any difference at all.
I'm still mad about shrapnel hitting ammo without the ammo exploding anyway. I guess I'll try to play tanks even though tanks are bad, maybe it works now.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 20, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BadOptics posted:

Well it's good to know Gaijin are still amazingly stupid at events. The USAF one takes place during the work week, so what few players are on are all queued up as US. Why they didn't hold this last weekend eludes me as it's all free poo poo, so there's no real profit motive.

Edit: Even the UI guy's changes make more sense.

And the plane you get is a knockoff XP-50 which just got nerfed to poo poo. This is how you get people to play your game :eng101:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DumbparameciuM posted:

I've got my 3.3 to 3.7 109s fully upgraded. I usually climb them at between 8 and 10 degrees to maintain a decent amount of speed.

Sub 10 degrees is where I go if I wanna build up speed after climbing, since it's basically almost leveling out :v:
109 F-4 optimal climbing speed is 280 km/h https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/155545-messerschmitt-bf-109-f-4/

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Do fires matter a lot less in aiRB now or is that just my dumb confirmation bias?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sard posted:

Anyone have the XP-50 and still use it these days? Thinking about picking it up during the anniversary sale, there are some great custom skins for it and I could use another low tier go fast plane.

It's absolute poo poo ever since the last big patch. Climbrate is abysmal compared to before, doesn't have WEP anymore, and it overheats hard at 100% just to annoy you. It doesn't even accelerate passably well anymore which was like the only thing it had going for it except the climbrate (I guess those two are kinda related but whatever). It can't go fast since its redline speed is at 720 or so IIRC and it also sucks at keeping the speed it builds up.
From what I understand, the X5F5 from the event is basically the exact same plane so you can try that if you have it.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Got some planes I'm looking at for when the sale hits. How good are these in a pure aiRB anti-fighter role (don't care about CARB or using them for ground attacks)?
- Do 335 B-2
- P-47M-1
- Wyvern
Also, are the La-11 or premium Yak-3 any good?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Recoome posted:

That P-47M is actually extremely cool and good and feels only slightly less powerful than a P-47N, however, the M gets ~dive brakes~

How is "only slightly less powerful" at 0.6BR higher a good thing? Actually, why is it even that much higher in the first place? Looks like it has the same engine

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope that one day America teams learn how to fight in realistic battles

I've found that recently, Soviets have been taking up top position in "teams that get stomped cause they only ever ground pound". They keep having like 80% Su-6s for some reason.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Wow cool I guess everyone has learned how the new Normandy air map works now.
Losing within 3 minutes to IL-10s bombing the pillboxes))))

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The loud as gently caress plane sounds are terrible, it's impossible to hear anyone approaching when your own engine drowns out everything.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The servers are imploding quite impressively right now. Just played a game with a shitload of Narvals on my side against about 50% bot He 111/112s and Stukas.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't seem to find anybody willing to play the circle game at high alt, they just dive/run away or show up with 5 buddies while I'm alone.

Well then let them dive and lose their altitude, who cares? If they're down on the deck they can't run away from your dives.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What's the point of Fw 190s? They can't outclimb, outrun, outdive, or outturn Americans and later 109s go fast as hell anyway.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fastest aileron roll rate in the game

And how do you even use that if everything but bombers outturns you? Also, surely the I-16 rolls faster.

Dr.Radical posted:

Better armed, especially in the lower tiers where 109s have one cannon and a couple rifle caliber machine guns

Yeah okay so I guess if I mostly play t4 109s will pull ahead?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

A Fw 190 is a better P-47 in every way that matters in plane combat so use it like one?

Except no airspawn and less speed.

Oh yeah I can be that annoying fucker rolling endlessly who has 3 guys following him down to the deck.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BBJoey posted:

funny, planes don’t have this problem

Ah yes, all those 8.0+ jets who are insanely good stock and totally don't need about 50 games to get all the performance mods.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

thats not candy posted:

Jet modules unlock real quick for me, usually 2-3 sim tonk games per module assuming there's a few planes you can kill in each one. Sometimes less if you already have pylons. Or you can do a 30 minute session in EC and get most of a module and then rejoin, since I think there's diminishing returns if you stick around for the entire match.

I spaded the venom in 25 games, granted I was mostly farming bot R2Y2's and tanks.

I'm always happy to see lower rp costs, though.

The thing I like most about this post is that you're assuming everyone can easily spot and shoot planes moving at jet speed in sim even if we did have a stick. Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 22, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Alkydere posted:

What does that even simulate or anything?

And as someone who isn't that great at planes in the first place, all I've seen of WoP has everything moving surprisingly slow and more like some sort of plane-shaped balloon than what WT has gotten me used to. And it's just bags of HP against each other instead of component damage. So, blech.

Yeah, for all I cry about fires not doing anything anymore or certain cannons only ever sparking, the idea of having to shoot until the HP run out is horrifying. All the WoT gameplay I've seen just looks silly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
WoWP may be bad but its techtree just taught me that this silly awesome prototype existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_XF5U

wikipedia posted:

The only completed XF5U-1 proved to be so structurally solid that it had to be destroyed with a wrecking ball.

:allears:

E: ^^^^^^ P-47s are in under multirole fighters.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 22, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Thefluffy posted:

I am 500% sure the game has an algorithm to match you with a map you have the lowest record of RP gained in and the worst players possible when using a large booster.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
puuutiiiiiiiiin

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

wearing your index finger the heck out spinning the scrollwheel

Use your middle finger for scrolling you donut

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but I accidentally had tank battles selected when checking my Italian research. Apparently there's already a tank line in progress with a P40 and M26 premium

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I wanted to see how much damage the APCR on the first Jumbo does so I did some testing with a friend. He was in a T-34-57 and my APCR couldn't pen the hull unless we were like 1m or so apart :psyduck:. For reference, the pure AP cuts through T-34 hulls like butter from most engagement ranges and the APCR nominally has better bounciness and pen stats.
Is it just because it's a tiny round? Is there any way to find out how much it actually pens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Did I completely misunderstand the stat card then? For the angle with 100%/50%/0% chance of ricochet, AP has 25°/30°/43° and APCR has 18°/20°/24°. I thought lower numbers meant less bounciness.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 19, 2017