Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

What's worse:

Xbox one
PS4 controller
Nintendo switch online

thats's an unfair metric, comparing one good thing to two aids things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Paying a lump sum likely comes with an opportunity cost which debt, especially at 0%APR, probably won't have.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stux posted:

debt is an inherently bad thing sorry you live in a poisoned land where you buy like bread on a credit card or whatever

also going into debt to purchase something whose value will trend downward from the second you buy it is stupid unless its your only option due to income, especially when its a luxury good already. if its your only option thats fine. if you can afford to buy it buy it.

You remind me of my friend who can only get gas at one station in town because he still pays for everything with checks and that station is the only one around dumb enough to take them.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I don't know why Americans with money obsess over credit score. I get why Americans without money do, but you don't have to get very high up the income ladder for all the abstraction layers pretty much disappear and your Big Purchase rates come down to "how much do you have, how much do you owe, and what do you make."

It affects the APR of the debt.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

univbee posted:

You forget that in the multiplat Mario timeline, the Vita wins the handheld wars.

And your PS4 controller hot take gave me stick drift whiplash.

I agree with it. Hating the dual shock is a big reason why I stick with Xbox.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This giant black obelisk is snappy as gently caress.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its honestly not even that big, thats the craziest part

Eh, it's too big to fit in my entertainment center, but its not a big deal to put it behind the tv.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This black henge owns for real.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I need somebody at MS to cut Autograph a new licensing check so I can replay Alpha Protocol.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My XsX is back to being the set top box that is its 85%~ purpose.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The PS4 is the God Of War and Bloodbourne machine. The PS5 will be the God of War 2 machine a couple years after the PS5 slim comes out.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

gamers' willingness to frame being giant weirdos as a lifehack remains undefeated

I remember a guy getting really upset with me for suggesting that people don’t want to gently caress with Raspberry Pi’s or whatever when I said the NES classic would be huge.

He couldn’t understand why people wouldn’t want to gently caress with a bunch of technical poo poo when all they wanted was to play like 1.5 minutes of Excitebike.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

irpoweroutlet posted:

I decided to play Battlefield V for the first time in over a year, and apparently the servers have been unstable/down worldwide all weekend. Based on what I’ve seen on Twitter, EA had no idea and has done nothing to fix it.

lol

It’s for the best.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

Not sure how to troubleshoot this but ever since I got my Series S on launch day, the screen will randomly flicker to black for about a second, a few times over a 1-2min period upon returning from standby. This seems to happen with HDR games and doesn’t happen after the first couple mins that the console has been on. I’m not sure if there’s a setting somewhere that is messing something up but it sure is annoying. Doesn’t happen with HDR games on my PS4 and haven’t had any other issues with the TV itself (Samsung KS8000). Has anyone else experienced this?

Xbox consoles in my experience can hang up going from HDR and back, especially if you don’t give them time to process the transition or whatever. Ive had it happen with Netflix more than with games, and even then it’s pretty rare with the Series X and One X. The only thing I can suggest is a hard reset when it happens.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

Outriders is very good but I also don't have very high standards and don't traditionally play looter shooters.

As someone that has played a bunch of looter shooters, Outriders is mediocre at best, but there’s some enjoyment to be had.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

That map can for sure gently caress off

Any game made by Respawn that isn’t Titanfall 3 can gently caress off because they prevent Respawn from making Titanfall 3.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't think there was a 3 even considered at that point. They say they wanted to do apex and the work on it shows. Plus they're now rumoured to be dropping a pilot into Apex and they've already confirmed 3 is ago. Apex saved them if anything and it compelled EA to invest in them as their primary FPS shooter for the last year or so.

That pilot rumor has been around since people got mad at the exclusion of wall running when Apex first released. Admittedly, I don’t follow the game regularly because I think it plays like poo poo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ErrEff posted:

I, too, prefer the original's multiplayer.

Me too. I really didn’t like how the second one handled the half dozen titan models compared to the modular titans of the first game. Also the levels were worse.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

barnold posted:

the fact that everyone freaks out constantly about their preferred dash (including the "the current dash is fine" people) just underscores that people should be able to customize their poo poo. who loving cares why does every single electronic have to have this stupid rear end ultra-homogenized design and aesthetic

They gotta show their ads off somewhere.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Oh gently caress rock band on the series x basically has no loading once you go through the initial startup and the game "finds" all your dlc

I really wish somebody made rockband drums. I guess I play them too hard and always make the drum membranes detach from the sensors.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah I was just thinking today that despite the fact that it's amazing that my rock band library has been able to follow me across multiple console generations, eventually I won't be able to play because all my peripherals will die and the peripheral market is a big nightmare the last I checked, at least for finding things that function at a reasonable price.

I guess if nothing else as long as I have a usb mic it's a karaoke box.

side note: god drat what a sublime treat to just kick back and get baked af and jam with rock band for a bit

I really want Enter Sandman and Paranoid back.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Was Enter Sandman in rock band at all? I have three Metallica songs but I don't remember Enter Sandman ever being playable in rock band.

I couldn't believe how much dlc they are still putting out. Also in some kind of cross promotion hell you can play danger zone as Sterling Archer while rocking a mass effect branded guitar or bass

Rock Band 1, yeah. I imagine it didn’t make the transition due to Metallica putting out a Guitar Hero compilation. Paranoid was too, but I don’t know why it was never offered anywhere but the RB1 disc.

E: I distinctly remember Enter Sandman because it was surprisingly easy on expert. Which, lol, Lars.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

RCarr posted:

Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 were both absolutely amazing...

Battlefield 5 was trash, and Hardline never happened.

Honestly people suggesting 5 as someone’s first Battlefield is criminal lmao. That game sucks so much rear end. But then again there hasn’t been a truly good BF since 4.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teagone posted:

The only other FF I have any real interest in playing thru is FFX since that's the only other one I watched my cousin play back when it first came out. I'll probably grab the FFX/X-2 HD Remaster for Xbox after I finish FFVII.

FF7-9 are all really good. They’re throwbacks, but if you like 7, there’s a good chance you’ll like the other PS1 Final Fantasies as well. 8 is my favorite, but I’ll be the first to admit that it is an odd bird.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Played another hour-ish of FF7 today, the charm is resilient and hasn't let up so far. Fun game! Still trying to figure out the materia system with what little materia I have. As an aside, having watched an FF7 Remake stream playthrough from start to finish last year, it's kind of crazy to me how fast I feel like the original game moves along the story in comparison lol. The bit where Tifa is on her way to Don Corneo/Wall Market in the Remake did not happen as fast as it does in the original it feels like lol. I was like, "drat, I'm already at this point in Remake's story?" I also realize Remake is only a chunk of the original story, but still, being able to have a frame of reference to compare to is fun and interesting.

I really like the remake, but it added a ton of stuff for better or worse (especially its dogshit ending). Midgar makes up maybe 10% of FF7, so if you’re digging the story and gameplay so far, you’ll likely love it all the way through.

I played 8 before 7 and it had realisticish character models, and it was a little hard to swallow the FF7 sprites at first. It’s a good enough game that that wore off, though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Figured that. Everything is super familiar because of my having watched Remake streams, hah. I was about to head into the vents but went back down a couple floors to save and take a break after playing for a little over 2 hours. Game really is good for how simple it is so far. At this point, I feel like I haven't even tapped into the materia system at all lmao.

You’re in for a treat, because that familiarity is about to go out the window. FF7 is a 70 hour game (this was an old rpg metric), and there’s so much stuff that the remake never touched on. I’m actually pumped to see you make it to other cool stuff lol.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Idk if this is the thread for this speculation, but the rumor is Starfield may be coming out this Fall and will be Game Pass exclusive. This is based on MS/Bethesda filing a new copyright or something like that.

If it’s true it’s not exactly a shock. Fallout 4 will be six years old this November, and that’s a long time between games even for slow rear end Bethesda.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gamepass exclusive? As in you won't be able to just buy it?

I assume you’ll be able to physically buy it, it’d be kind of insane not to offer it retail. I guess they just meant Xbox/Gamepass exclusive.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I think Halo Infinite....will be this generation's Destiny.

I hope not, Destiny is pure poo poo outside of gunplay.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Healbot posted:

Making a good Halo is not in the cards these days, the franchises time has passed.

Halo has been dying a slow death since CoD 4 came out and changed the game, which sucks because when the series is firing on all cylinders it’s fantastic.

But I agree. Without some serious innovation, mainline Halo games are just going to continue to be mediocre at best. And 343 has not shown the willingness to actually innovate so far.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

Getting excited for not yet released video games is all round a bad idea if you want to stand any chance of enjoying it when it comes out.

It’s hard not to get pumped over stuff that looks cool, but you’re not wrong. AAA releases have been more misses than hits during the Xbone/PS4 generation.

What tentpole releases didn’t fall short? Off the top of my head, Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, God of War? Most stuff was either mediocre like CoD and Halo or downright lovely like Andromeda.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

univbee posted:

It's lovely, but to be fair Sony was the one during the PS3/360 gen trying to get cross play happening with Microsoft refusing. Market leaders don't have anything to gain and everything to lose from allowing it.

It's interesting to me how the ol "hearts and minds" strategy has become a legit marketing tactic in the last 5 years or so.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Its good. The final chapter is so completely awesome. Power through the low energy middle bits

How much time should a guy devote to it before it gets good?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TheAnomaly posted:

1000 is the max for a standard release title, with 250 for most Xpacs. Most companies just use up the whole amount over the course of their game, especially since some of the early titles (Condemned comes to mind, I think the King Kong movie game as well) didn't and people's minds exploded for some reason.

Elder Scrolls Online has gone completely round the bend. I wouldn’t be surprised if it had over 4K now.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The only good resident evil games are 1 and 2, and this fact will save you a lot of time.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Observer isn’t really a horror game either. It’s just intense.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Prey was very poorly marketed, much like anything Bethesda has put out in recent years that isn’t Elder Scrolls/Fallout, and was a new IP.

Also an immersive sim RPG. I honestly don’t think that particular genre has a ton of mainstream popularity. The Preys/Deus Exs/Dishonoreds of the world never seem to set the world on fire. I guess Cyberpunk is the exception since it sold like 13 million copies.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is on game pass. It’s slow and kind of boring, but I can’t stop playing it. Might be worth a look, idk.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Dice has had a bad record with fans this past gen from loving up bf4 launch, to bf hardline, to the sw gambling debacle, to bfv which everyone hates.

Bf1 was well liked but fans of bf are not happy with the series

In defense of dice, of which there usually is none, Hardline was some other dev. That’s why the gunplay was somewhat better than 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

a bad company 2 remaster would be the only way to get me to play battlefield again

I’ll play it just because of the barren desert the shooter genre is now. Warzone can only go so far.