Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/lane-kiffin-details-released-new-contract-fau

$2.5 million buyout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Ole Miss is going to endure a year with an interim and then hire some mediocre coach. The Kiffin fanfic is fun, though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

...and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

What's wrong with playing to win?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

I think a lot of times the midseason firing is to ensure that the coach in question doesn't have the opportunity to rebound/pull off a signature win and make the decision more controversial. Look at how common it is for a coach to be fired before a season ending rivalry game.

This is exactly what happened with Ron Zook. The dumbass student newspaper said "this is why they shouldn't have fired Coach Zook" after he beat FSU. Cue 2 titles under Urban Meyer.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Duckaerobics posted:

Ugh I live in Alabama and I hear racists talking all the time about how Missouri ruined their school and are shutting down because they let the blacks take over. Hopefully they get things worked out or fox news moves on to something else so they shut up about it.

"For good football turn around and leave UM campus immediately!"

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

DJExile posted:

UTEP has fired Offensive Coordinator Brent Pease

He put up Doug Nussmeier-caliber numbers at Florida. Without Florida's talent, he was even worse.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Peterson fired him as Washington's WR coach a couple of years back because his receivers had butterfingers.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The din of cowbells is a sound that I would want to get away from after as many years as he's been there. Plus, if he wants to show people he was the brains behind the Tebow years, he'll need to leave Starkville to win big.

Nebraska is a coaches' graveyard, though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Muschamp only survived that disastrous year because of the season that preceded it. For the same reason, I don't see any way that McElwain gets fired this season, no matter how bad it gets.

I do think the writing will be on the wall once Georgia proves itself to be the class of the SEC East under Smart and he fails yet again to defeat (even a weakened) Florida State.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Sounds plausible. Orgeron must have been dying for that job.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The Riley hire was really bizarre, and I don't fault Nebraska for considering a change. It'd be like Georgia hiring Todd Graham. Why did they do it?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Give Butch a chance. I want to see the degeneration of his press conferences into full-blown stream of consciousness rants as the season progresses.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Why is it that a coach from New Hampshire, who took a job at Oregon, and then immediately moved to Philadelphia for the NFL presumed to only want to coach west of the Rockies?

Now that the existential threat of Mike Riley has left the PAC12, there's no one left to stop him.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Benne posted:

I guess my big question with Chip is: does he really want to go back to college?

The way SEC buyouts have grown to monstrous proportions, it's more of a question of whether he wants $20,000,000+ in guaranteed money.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

It actually doesn't accomplish anything, as either way the recruiting class will be a shambles until the new coach is in place, and the much-touted "head start" on the coaching carousel never, ever means anything. The mid-season firing is exclusively about throwing a bone to the fans, and honestly gently caress every fan of anything, they deserve nothing.

Mid-season termination helped UF get rid of Ron Zook before he had a strong finish to his season.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Before he crosses the Orgeron Meridian

(ominous wailing)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

An arrogant guy like that might still slum it at a UCLA or Florida, where recruiting mostly sorts itself out. But if he stays out long enough, he'll risk being the next Gruden (minus the cushy media gig).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Why is Auburn calling 10 yard passes now?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

swickles posted:

Mac fired yet?

No, remember we paid millions of dollars for the privilege of stealing him from Colorado Springs.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ah, that's right.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Whoever Nebraska gets had better be a top-tier recruiter.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

Disagree. It'd be nice but it shouldn't be the top priority. There's gonna be a cap to how well they can recruit there regardless of who it is unless it's, like, Urban Meyer or something. They're far from any of the really talent rich states and no one in high school now remembers them as a super power. They need someone who is either really good/different tactically or someone in the Ferentz/Alvarez mold who can develop/scout like a motherfucker to get the most of the underrecruited talent in the area

Iowa has a good, stable program, but I thought that Nebraska fancied itself as a blueblood. If they were okay with endless 8- or 9-win seasons they'd have kept Solich and, later, Pelini. I figure they need someone who can fly away from the cornfields and poach some 4-star recruits. I'm not saying they will achieve this.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

nachos posted:

doug nussmeier still has a job :chloe:

How can he still collect a paycheck? His offenses have ranked below 100th nationally for the past four seasons.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Sooner or later they got to come out of this right? Or is that what Nebraska fans keep telling themselves?

Remember these days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nNnJF4V2w

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Yep watched that game. Still even worse was the 42-17 beat down Nebraska gave Manning on his very last game as a Vol. Glad we finally beat Nebraska in 2016 (of course when it really didn't matter to anyone outside of the fanbase).

It was a loss for Tennessee, but at the time they were heralded as a top program.

I think it's a race between Florida and Tennessee to snag the next great coach. Until then, both are going to wallow in mediocrity while Georgia cleans up in the SEC East The worst of timelines.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Who are the top coaching prospects this season? I know that Frost at Central Florida is one of the names being thrown around a lot, but what about anyone else?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Raku posted:

I'm starting to get worried somebody will notice bill clark

(if UAB gets to a bowl--which is now almost assured--he should get coach of the year)

I hadn't heard of him. South Alabama and Troy have both shown some success as well.

vyst posted:

Who are Saban's current assistants? Those usually get snatched up first foolishly.

I really hope at this point that Florida has exhausted themselves of hiring Saban assistants.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think bigger programs might take a run at Brohm or Matt Campbell.

I figure Tennessee may go after Brohm just because he's a Louisville guy and Knoxville is in the same general area of the country.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

When UGA defense totally vaporizes our OL next Saturday and we have double-digit yardage, will we finally Fire Nuss?

“We just need to go ahead and complete them. Plan’s good, the execution piece needs to get better."

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Adun posted:

Not like Florida is lacking for money.

Maybe you poo poo gold ingots, but $13 million is a lot of money for any athletic department. Between the unreported/fake death threat statement and the players charged with the credit card fraud scam, things aren't exactly ship shape in Gainesville under his watch. Why wouldn't they try to reduce or even remove his buyout?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

It still kinda blows me away Mac was supposed to be an offensive coach and has some how done just as good or worse than Muschamp. How is that possible?

He doesn't recruit as well, doesn't coach defense as well, and hired Doug Nussmeier to run the offense.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ron Zook was not a great coach, but even with him we at least had a puncher's chance. Mac's Gators look so discombobulated.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Butch Jones has outlasted Jim McElwain. What a survivor!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Doug Nussmeier is going to be the belle of the ball with all of the job offers.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Top reply:

"Well, that is unfortunate but I guess you guys should have kinda known it was coming with all the rumors floating this week."

:lol:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'd love to see Charlie Strong at Florida. I know he wasn't good at Texas, but he did create a monster with Louisville after Kragthorpe destroyed everything Petrino accomplished. He's only had one year at USF, but Florida could afford it. I'd put up money its a current/former Saban assistant though.

Hell no. Failed miserably at Texas and is 0-1 as head coach at Florida.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

If there's a coach out there who's able to seriously contend with Bama/Ohio State/Clemson, he's not easy to spot. This is one of those years (like most years) where the ceiling on new hire quality might cap out a little lower. Which would still be a welcome improvement for Florida, mind you.

Florida pays top dollar and has access to top-10 recruiting classes each year. I don't know what you guys are smoking if you think there are any other top programs without similar pressures.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm not defending the Sharkfucker, or even attempting to judge whether Florida is making the right move by firing him. I'm just saying that the narrative of Texas being too quick to pull the rug out from under Charlie Strong seems extra dumb in light of how coaches with objectively much better results are treated elsewhere.

I thought Texas made the right move (at the time) in hiring Strong, and also the right move for getting rid of him when they did. He failed to deliver on what was supposed to be his coaching specialty (defense, and of course winning lots of games). I think the same about Florida and McElwain.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What is, racism.

:ughh:

Not every slight is attributable to racism. Strong has landed HC jobs at Louisville, Texas, and USF; he's doing just fine. Bud Foster and Venables have been star coordinators for years. Sometimes, it takes a while. It took ages for Kirby Smart to get a top HC opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

fyallm posted:

With comments like this from Dan Mullen's wife I highly doubt he is coming back to Florida...

“The former school where we were at before, we won championships there, won practically every single game we played for four years there,” Megan Mullen said. “It wasn’t if we won or lost. It was if we didn’t score 43 points or more, I was going to the grocery store in Orlando where I worked with the Golf Channel and I was driving the groceries back to Gainesville, because it was that bad.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/former-florida-coach-dan-mullens-wife-discusses-difficulty-coaching-gainesville

These guys are paid $4,000,000+ per year. They need to be able to ignore noise like that.

• Locked thread